• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesbian KIss scene removed from Singapore Rise of Skywalker release.

It's highly likely that the corporate goons at Disney and in charge of Star Wars who green lit this scene, which is essentially an inclusivity checkbox ticking exercise where the same guys who green lit removing the scene for domestic markets in a culture sensivity checkbox ticking exercise.

Moral of the story: they're probably thinking they shouldnt have bothered in the first place. They would be right - that scene felt forced and was unnecessary.
Forced? Come on it was like 3 seconds long. God forbid there be a lesbian couple in a massive galaxy

"We are proud to stand with the LBGT community!*" -Disney

*Except in markets where standing with said community will cause us to lose profits.
This is my entire problem with this. If you want to stand for LBGT community that’s fine but don’t act like you care and then remove it from another market just because you want some more money

Jezbollah

Forced? Come on it was like 3 seconds long. God forbid there be a lesbian couple in a massive galaxy

I felt it didnt add anything to the scene apart from ticking a few politically correct tickboxes. Especially when with so many films before they had zero element of exploring that topic prior. The fact they've so easily removed it to suit their target market shows how disposable the higher ups considere those three seconds. Your response above actually matches mine - the scene's inclusion and subsequent "standing up for the LGBT community" was token.

Sounds like a cheap way to add diversity then. Never noticed.

What is the point if it was so easy to miss?

Do you want full penetration on screen? It's not that easy to miss, you probably were passed out of boredom because the movie sucks, but I'm tired of people not being satisfied with things unless it's very much in your face.

Not to turn this into a politics discussion but what do you want then?
If they focus the camera on it and turn it into a big scene you'll probably call it pandering and complain about SJW's, etc. If they make it a small thing in the background it's a cheap way to add diversity.

Precisely this.

This is my entire problem with this. If you want to stand for LBGT community that’s fine but don’t act like you care and then remove it from another market just because you want some more money

Easy to say this when it's not your money. If you want to be mad at someone be mad at the country giving it an R rating because of a 2 second lesbian kiss. As a stakeholder I gotta say that Disney did the right thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom