• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FFXIII screenshots and extended Jump Festa trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

I have a feeling the game will be no longer than 15 hours, they do say that want you to replay the game many times to see different things. Don't like that at all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have a feeling the game will be no longer than 15 hours, they do say that want you to replay the game many times to see different things. Don't like that at all.

Probably not... I mean I can beat FFXIII-2 fairly quickly as well now even though my first playthrough was about 20 hours. The second attempt was well under that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sounds like a Chrono Trigger/Majora kind of deal where you can reach the final boss relatively early but that doesnt mean you've "finished" the game. Difference being you're able to actually beat said boss in LR in that first meet apparently.

Mario007

Yeah I hate that approach too. Just give me a full meaty storyline on my first playthrough that makes sense and is fulfilling. Granted there could be a New Game Plus mode that will unlock some secrets on second playthrough but that's about it.

RPGCrazied

Probably not... I mean I can beat FFXIII-2 fairly quickly as well now even though my first playthrough was about 20 hours. The second attempt was well under that.

Oh. XIII-2 took me like 65 hours, but I plat'd the game, even used the collectors edition guide in some parts. That was more fragment hunting though.

Stark

Banned
Oh. XIII-2 took me like 65 hours, but I plat'd the game, even used the collectors edition guide in some parts. That was more fragment hunting though.

Well, this is story only though (I'm taking it as). I would at they very least expect the same amount of side content. Just not a very long main quest in one playthrough.

Goli

Hm well, TCB, which as I've said before this game seems to be drawing heavy inspiration from, is about 10 hours but if you do everything it takes a looooot longer. If LR uses the same approach I'll be happy.

Shinta

Banned
Sounds like a Chrono Trigger/Majora kind of deal where you can reach the final boss relatively early but that doesnt mean you've "finished" the game. Difference being you're able to actually beat said boss in LR in that first meet apparently.

I thought the same thing. You can fight Lavos at the carnival if you want on new game +, but it's really just one of the 10+ endings. It doesn't mean the game is only an hour long.

Fuu

Yeah I hate that approach too. Just give me a full meaty storyline on my first playthrough that makes sense and is fulfilling. Granted there could be a New Game Plus mode that will unlock some secrets on second playthrough but that's about it.
If they manage to make replaying the days as varied as Majora it's not an issue as we'd end up going to completely new areas with each playthrough. If the case is that we need to replay the exact same areas then it does suck, but XIII-2 for the most part understood how to make this kind of thing work (sort of).

Mario007

If they manage to make replaying the days as varied as Majora it's not an issue as we'd end up going to completely new areas with each playthrough. If the case is that we need to replay the exact same areas then it does suck, but XIII-2 for the most part understood how to make this kind of thing work (sort of).
Haven't played Majora's Mask, but that does sound kinda neat. Still when I finish the game, I kinda want to be actually finished the game. I'll return for the bonus stuff and expansion on the lore etc. but the mains story, for me, has to be finished when the credits roll.

Goli

Haven't played Majora's Mask, but that does sound kinda neat. Still when I finish the game, I kinda want to be actually finished the game. I'll return for the bonus stuff and expansion on the lore etc. but the mains story, for me, has to be finished when the credits roll.

They've already stated the ending doesn't change much whether you do all side content or not.

Mario007

They've already stated the ending doesn't change much whether you do all side content or not.
No I meant getting a 'WTF just happened?' ending and then Toriyama saying, well you gotta play through the game a few more times for it all to make sense. That's what I'm worried about.

Fuu

In the case of Majora's Mask you played entirely new content each time you rewinded to the first day. You'd use the new equipment you acquired to gain access to new areas and dungeons, and you actually couldn't beat the final boss before you went through all the dungeons so even though you could ignore a truckload of optional content you still needed to play through all the main content if you wanted to beat the game (which doesn't seem to be the case in LR, unless the main story is indeed very short). I don't mind having meaty things unlocked after you beat the game for the first time, but I understand getting annoyed by it in some cases (really depends on how much of the game you need to replay and how much the character stays evolved).

That sounds a bit silly though, what's the point in making you able to reach the end so quickly then if it's always going to be pretty much the same? Might as well artificially lengthen it and make a chunk of the side content obligatory to avoid "game is too short" criticism.

Stark

Banned
That sounds a bit silly though, what's the point in making you able to reach the end so quickly then if it's always going to be pretty much the same? Might as well artificially lengthen it and make a chunk of the side content obligatory.

I guess what matters is to see the entire spin on everything? Might not make sense if you are finished so quickly.

Kind of like what Persona 4: Arena did.

madhtr

I don't get how any part of that costume is considered anything short of dreadful. Her sleeves, her legs, her everything. The FFXIII outfit looked fine..

I realize it was silly to nitpick the zippers..... but I don't get them! But yes, the entire thing is awful.

Fuu

I guess what matters is to see the entire spin on everything? Might not make sense if you are finished so quickly.

Kind of like what Persona 4: Arena did.
Ah good point, didn't think of it this way. Anyway, regardless of the ending or how soon you can get to it it's the quality of the playable content that will make or break it for me. The map of the game doesn't look so big so I hope they try to make the best of it.

Goli

Ah good point, didn't think of it this way. Anyway, regardless of the ending or how soon you can get to it it's the quality of the playable content that will make or break it for me. The map of the game doesn't look so big so I hope they try to make the best of it.

I don't think the concept art is very telling of the size... If (sorry for bringing it up so much) TCB is anything to go by, the game will probably be pretty big.
TCB's own in-game menu map was deceptively small, since it made it seem like all areas were squished together in this tiny colorful piece of land but once you actually traveled in-game through them, you realized they were all quite big, and all of them interconnected like you'd expect in a game like, say, Twilight Princess.

Stark

Banned
Interestingly, they've only shown 1 district of the city going by the official site. So I'm interested in seeing if they will slowly update like that. Area by area in each continent. So it can end up pretty big, I think. I actually think it's fairly massive just by going that they've only shown a station and a district.

They're also now expanding the world by Goli's new info, so there's that.

Fuu

It's just that they showed so little in the trailer for that first city that it didn't fill me with confidence, but granted it's probably not representative of the entire area. Hopefully a following trailer will show more of the world.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A few more high resolution bullshots:

lr_12222012_03.jpg

lr_12222012_04.jpg

lr_12222012_05.jpg

Goli

For bullshots, they're a lot less... bullshotty than what they could be.
Also I love how detailed the Anubis enemies are, their skin/clothes? remind me of Mizuti from Baten Kaitos.

Stark

Banned
Looks great and probably looks better in motion. And yeah Anubys looks awesome and could be a fun fight. Lightning's model also looks awesome.

It's just that they showed so little in the trailer for that first city that it didn't fill me with confidence, but granted it's probably not representative of the entire area. Hopefully a following trailer will show more of the world.

Yeah. That explains a lot why it looked like the city was levitating though. Nothing's connected, lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
KuGsj.gif
"bullshots"

The 2 year old Versus video with gameplay looked graphically more complete than this. (Except the enemies in the first shot, they are the only things that look good)

Nohar

Let's hope that there will be other costumes for her to wear.

Costumes that aren't DLCs, that is. There's no way I'm going to pay for costumes.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
It's horrendous. I was hoping Toriyama would have explained it in this week's interviews, but alas.
I suppose the black armor might have some kind of meaning, but the overall thing is just so weird, that I would be more interested in reading Nomura's thoughts.

Shinta

Banned
Let's hope that there will be other costumes for her to wear.

Costumes that aren't DLCs, that is. There's no way I'm going to pay for costumes.

There are 20+ others, and you can change their colors too. You'll probably get different swords and shields as well.

Pooya

It's almost like someone shopped that shield in, it doesn't match anything in the scene or the world, looks out of place. would be good if it can be unequipped, such an eyesore.

new monsters look cool, the only positive thing I can see.

Shinta

Banned
It's almost like someone shopped that shield in, it doesn't match anything in the scene or the world, looks out of place. would be good if it can be unequipped, such an eyesore..
Or you can just change the shield to black or white/brown if you want probably.

Carbonox

Those environments look embarrassing. Lightning's model looks fine but the rest is just laughable. Especially that screenshot with the train. :lol

I shouldn't have expected much from this but I did not expect the game to look dogshit.

Pooya

the shadows look very dithered and bad, don't remember 13/13-2 have bad shadows like that, looked smooth before. It's very noticeable on the train, it's visible on the ground in first pic too. looks kind of like gta4 shadows now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom