• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logos revealed for 2024 Olympics candidate cities (Paris wow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
LA's logo looks generic and Roma's logo looks boring. Paris is so far ahead of them that they should just be given the candidacy.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Hope L.A. gets it. Not just for American pride, but I really want to see the L.A. highways finish its manifest destiny as demonic soul takers.

between the homeless that they are going to have to eradicate, the 84 torch activating a beacon of despair, and the traffic shitshow, its gonna be a sight

Would love to have it be in LA. Going to the Olympics has always been a minor aspiration, so having it be local would be an easy check off the ol' bucket list. Looking at the map I'm smack dab in the middle of all the clusters.

I would be 33 years old if/when it would come here. It would seem like an appropriate age to be able to blow off and take a long vacation from work and see as much as possible!

A very small part of me wishes the Olympic Games were held on an island made for the Games

A larger part of me wants Gundam Fights so who cares what I think

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nothing will ever beat the GOAT logo of all time

news-graphics-2007-_637115a.jpg

I'm surprised at the love for Paris tho.

I think it looks generic as fuuuuck.

In my head, I'm just picturing the banners, billboards and flags of the lame logo all over Paris (not to mention on shirts etc) and I just imagine it being tacky and boring.

Now LA....I could see myself holding a coffee cup with that bad boy(girl) on it.

Edit: Honestly tho, I think LA's is better at being open to creating more interesting motifs from the design that would be all over the stadium, city, etc etc

Well, me neither but it hasn't even been ten games since LA got to host them, I think other cities should get a chance.

Other cities have had the chance. Most of them have done horribly with it. At this point, there aren't a lot of cities willing to take the risk. I think I would side with you more if not for some of the terrible results recent cities have been having, and it was easier for assorted cities to support an event like this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
And let's not forget the GOAT mascot of all time- meticulously blending 9 different alt-canon Sonic slash fic characters

London-Olympics-Mascot_Wenlock.jpg

Mimosa97

If my city of birth (Paris) wins I'm going to be so pissed off. We really don't need to go bankrupt over the fucking Olympics in the near future.

Terrible idea.

I get the intent of the Paris one but it doesn't do it very well. Barely looks like a 24 or an Eiffel tower. Just looks like a weird colorful 4.

ZeroX03

Banned
ZeroX03 is confused. Back to the drawing board, France!

Why would there be a 1 in there? Could be done better so it's clearly 24. Here it's a sort of 2, a straight line and a 4 to represent the Eiffel tower. Maybe confusing is the wrong word. It's just messy.

But regardless of the word used my opinion is the correct one, so yeah, France should definitely change it.

Chuckie

The problem with Paris' logo is it's not 24, it's either a 2 or a 4. Numbers don't work like that.

But that's exactly how logo's are supposed to work. They often are designed to represent more than 1 symbol. In this case the logo shows a 2, a 4 and the Eiffel tower. This is standard practice with logo's.

But that's exactly how logo's are supposed to work. They often are designed to represent more than 1 symbol. In this case the logo shows a 2, a 4 and the Eiffel tower. This is standard practice with logo's.

I totally get that. For example, the Eiffel Tower is it's own symbol, and a 24 should be it's own symbol. The two and the four each should not be their own symbols.

Kuldar

LA gets it by having the Nike Goddess. A nod to the antic Greek origin of Olympic games and to the corporation for the actual state of Olympic games.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
LA's looks kinda meh.

Paris' is actually kinda cool even though the 24 can read like a 21.

At least they wont to spend too much if if happens in LA.

But yea the freeway system is gonna collapse
Pretty sure they're hoping that by then, the expanded 5 will help.

However, four lanes plus a HOV lane on the OC side already gets flooded. The expansion in LA is built to fail.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
not sure about the Rome and Paris situations, but LA would need very little additional infrastructure to host something like this, which is one of the reasons they are pushing so hard. This isn't a situation where they are going to spend billions on athletic facilities that will never be used again. LA is probably the best American city to host an Olympics as opposed to Boston or SF.

Yeah LA and NYC are in unique situations in this regard due to the amount of sports teams in the area. NY would be great between Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, MSG, Metlife Stadium, Barclays, and the Prudential Center. Doubt they would touch Arthur Ashe stadium.

The Rome one is ugly as hell.

I like both the Paris logo and the Los Angeles logo, which is convenient since I'm a French citizen living in Los Angeles.

giphy.gif

Pacbois

If my city of birth (Paris) wins I'm going to be so pissed off. We really don't need to go bankrupt over the fucking Olympics in the near future.

Terrible idea.

I think we have the lowest budget though, most of the venues are there or will be temporary stuff. I'm actually supporting the Paris bid because if we get it, it will accelerate a bunch of need transit network updates.

The London Olympics made everyone happy for a couple of weeks

Well worth it imo, despite the economic ramifications and security issues

Paris logo looks best, would like Rome to get it. France has the Euros this year, and I'm not sure when Italy last hosted a big international sporting event outside of one-day affairs

blamite

Paris's is great, LA's is pretty uninteresting, and Rome's is bad, but in a really plain, forgettable way.

Although none of these would be the actual final logo used for the Olympics, so it doesn't really matter one way or the other in the long run.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My problem with the LA design is that it could be used for so many things completely unrelated to LA or the Olympics. It wouldn't look out of place for an airline, or over a gym, or on a bag of oranges.

At least the Paris logo conveys clear ideas of Paris, the Olympics, and the date, no matter how trite you think the design might be. It's definitively Parisian Olympics '24. its only real weakness is the "1", but that can be iterated on.

maybe, but it accomplished its goal 100% with its execution while the other two are even crude by comparison.

I disagree, although this thread is making it pretty clear that there are very strong opinions in both directions.

I think the ambiguous "is it a 2 or a 4?" like the logo Tence posted above is both visually jarring and also redundant. I also don't like that the only way people can every figure out how to say "see, it's Paris!" is showing the Eiffel Tower. Los Angeles' angel design is far more elegant in that regard. It's a reference to the city of angels without being cliche.

milanbaros

Member?
The London Olympics made everyone happy for a couple of weeks

Well worth it imo, despite the economic ramifications and security issues

Paris logo looks best, would like Rome to get it. France has the Euros this year, and I'm not sure when Italy last hosted a big international sporting event outside of one-day affairs

What economic ramifications? Have a look at gdp growth for the Olympic quarter, that was the Olympic boost. It built houses, a new park. The asset value increase from the redevelopment of the area alone was multiples of the cost.

I disagree, although this thread is making it pretty clear that there are very strong opinions in both directions.

I think the ambiguous "is it a 2 or a 4?" like the logo Tence posted above is both visually jarring and also redundant. I also don't like that the only way people can every figure out how to say "see, it's Paris!" is showing the Eiffel Tower. Los Angeles' angel design is far more elegant in that regard. It's a reference to the city of angels without being cliche.

I don't know, that angel just look kinda lazy to me. They have a nice idea, but the art itself leaves a lot to be desired.

edit: certainly has room to improve and can become better than Paris' logo. There's no much one can do to improve that one the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom