• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logos revealed for 2024 Olympics candidate cities (Paris wow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
The LA one is nice, but the Paris one is smart, simple, and elegant in its presentation. I think I like it way more than LA. Roma looks very meh and weak in comparison.

Cappa

Banned
1982 North America (Los Angeles)
1988 Asia (Seoul)
1992 Europe (Barcelona)
1996 North America (Atlanta)
2000 Australia (Sydney)
2004 Europe (Athens)
2008 Asia (Beijing)
2012 Europe (London)
2016 South America (Rio de Janeiro)
2020 Asia (Tokyo)

It's due in Africa and North America. Too bad The time zone in LA is bad for Europe.

and the time zone in China was "bad" for the US.... so?

Auctopus

They really had to stretch to get the 24 to look like the Eiffel Tower. I can't really diss any though 'cause I'm British :(

BowieZ

Banned
They really had to stretch to get the 24 to look like the Eiffel Tower. I can't really diss any though 'cause I'm British :(
Not only does it look like a stretch, but it could have been less of a stretch if they actually made it a 24 rather than a 21.

Am I the only one who is boggled by the 21 and not an actual 24?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I like the concept of the Rome one the best, the execution's just a bit lacking. Less gradients, give the windows on the Coliseum some proper curvilinear perspective, and find a more complementary text color than blue, and that logo's in business.

I don't understand people who like the LA one at all. Sometimes these Olympic logos can skew a bit too abstract, but that one's a bad case for going the other way. The silhouette is too on-the-nose, the fine 'radiant' lines would scale terribly. And that gradient is gross.

LA's black and white pitch logo was too spartan, but I liked some of the color treatments that someone linked to. They should have explored those.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing will ever beat the GOAT logo of all time

news-graphics-2007-_637115a.jpg

men-olympics.jpg

Donos

I totally agree.Living in London at the time and seeing it everywhere really changed my opinion of it.

Bear in mind this logo does not exist in a vacuum. People look at one picture on the internet and think "that's shit", but when it's used for it's intended purpose, with different colour variations and appearing on signage etc in practice, it really becomes a part of the whole and you can't help but associate it with the whole event. Some more examples of the logo in the field that look much better:

Everything tied in together and it had such a distinct look that after a while the initial feeling of the jarring angular look of it when seeing it isolated from everything else faded away and it really worked well. The colour variations really helped too.

Would some other design have worked better? Who knows. The truth is though this branding extended beyond the logo and shouldn't be judged on that one image.

Reads a bit like an intended joke post (no offense) because on all your pictures, the logo still seems very terrible. I get what you mean, that looking only at the posted pink logo doesn't do it justice. I really took a second look to them but nope, still terrible.
You can probably can get used to it but you can get used to everything.

This will always look like some broken shards casually put together. Like Mr. Sam under me said, the games themself were pretty good.

Mr. Sam

Alright, alright, you can stop rubbing it in about London's horrendous marketing - the games themselves were brilliant.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
LA is shit.
Rome is decent. Bit banal.
Paris knocked it out of the park, holy shit.

All three outclass by miles the abomination that was london 2012 logo anyhow.

Meier

Not only does it look like a stretch, but it could have been less of a stretch if they actually made it a 24 rather than a 21.

Am I the only one who is boggled by the 21 and not an actual 24?

"21" never even came into the picture for me until you mentioned it. The design represents a 2 and a 4 at the same time. You view it as a whole, not as individual components. It's absolutely flawless design, frankly.

"21" never even came into the picture for me until you mentioned it. The design represents a 2 and a 4 at the same time. You view it as a whole, not as individual components. It's absolutely flawless design, frankly.

Yep. It doesn't get any better than that.

Chicago one was nice. LA looks like a good concept here, but it looks almost....... ClipArty in execution. Paris looks nice too. Probably the best ones out of these.

lacinius

I like the Paris logo for it's simplicity, and the Rome logo that draws your focus to the history of the city... and the LA logo looks like a hood ornament to me.

Regardless... how the hell has it been four years since the London Olympics?!?

BowieZ

Banned
This is kinda what I had in mind. I still think it makes more sense to have the top level incorporated in the design, also it looks more like a cute character welcoming people:

This is kinda what I had in mind. I still think it makes more sense to have the top level incorporated in the design, also it looks more like a cute character welcoming people:

That just looks like a number, not a logo. Out of context, just looking at the Paris logo at a glance, most people wouldn't even realize it was a number, which is good because that means that as a symbol it's unique and stands on its own merits in terms of visual design (not just because it incorporates a number and the Eiffel tower).

The Paris logo is a masterclass lesson in visual design and one of the few logos in which I'd say was flawlessly designed. Its references aren't supposed to be blatant (like your mock-up), but subtle, and I think it strikes a good balance between sleek, intelligent, and iconic. I have doubts that their official logo will be even half as good as their candidate logo.

GorillaJu

The color is a bit weak too, but I really like the fairy posture. I like the optimism. "Clever" logo of merging numbers is so pointless.

Aesthetically I don't like it. Thematically, it's fine. I also don't like gimmicky logos, but the Paris one is really elegant and obviously its more than just numbers, its the Eiffel Tower.

BowieZ

Banned
That just looks like a number, not a logo. Out of context, just looking at the Paris logo at a glance, most people wouldn't even realize it was a number, which is good because that means that as a symbol it's unique and stands on its own merits in terms of visual design (not just because it incorporates a number and the Eiffel tower).

The Paris logo is a masterclass lesson in visual design and one of the few logos in which I'd say was flawlessly designed. Its references aren't supposed to be blatant (like your mock-up), but subtle, and I think it strikes a good balance between sleek, intelligent, and iconic. I have doubts that their official logo will be even half as good as their candidate logo.
As soon as my friend and I saw it we both thought "21". My friend also didn't realise it was an Eiffel Tower until he saw the colosseum and then thought more about it.

You're also being a bit unfair because of my hasty unartful pen sketch, but whatever. I personally dislike it as it is. I'm sure I just don't understand design but it seems incredibly lacking and confusing. It's half an Eiffel Tower and half a number (and also fully a number).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Chicago one was nice. LA looks like a good concept here, but it looks almost....... ClipArty in execution. Paris looks nice too. Probably the best ones out of these.

I think if they did it in bolder colours - like maybe make the Angels wings/Olympic flame with vertical wavey stripes of Olympic colours, which can double up as reinforcing the flame imagery

I like what they went for though - city of angels = Angel. Angel made of Olympic flame + athlete

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Paris is indeed the most clever

Los Angeles is an angel. Coulda used a bit more creativity

Rome is not bad

jts

...hate me...
How masses analyze logos:

Simple logo, or font change or whatever, especially when exercises in displaying restraint: someone got paid for that?

A logo with any double meaning: I get it!! Wow give that designer a medal!

Kronik

Banned
Prediction: Budapest is going to have a) the worst logo b) the worst bid and c) the 2024 games.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

The guys who run the Hungarian Olympics Board (or whatever its called) had a pretty good idea for financing the Olympics. Instead of using up government / city funds, they would set up a corporation in which the hungarian citizens could buy shares, thus directly financing the games. And they could also get profits on their shares after the games.

Because it's a corporation, they have to be transparent about their business, so it's a good solution against corruption, and I think it's a pretty good idea to get the people involved in the whole process.

Also: WHERE THE FUCK IS OUR LOGO????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom