• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logos revealed for 2024 Olympics candidate cities (Paris wow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Paris one is really good. I guess that's the thing with these, they've got to be good enough to tie together the bid, consistent look to it all, stand out, but not hugely need to actually be thought through from a full implementation point of view.

One thing I will say though on Olympic logos - for all the heat that the London 2012 logo got, and rightfully to a degree - I think the whole brand around it and the usage of it were brilliant. Like, you recognised anything from the colour, the font, or it just being on an angled shape. Some of them are shown here, and seeing them in practice across the UK, in the park, it really worked and was memorable.

Logo on its own still naff mind, but they toned it down in practice and tended to go with a flat white on colour rather than the two colour layered mess.

mclem

Nothing will ever beat the GOAT logo of all time

news-graphics-2007-_637115a.jpg

Actually, that was the logo for the Olympics itself. Candidate logos are a bit different, and this was London's:

One thing I will say though on Olympic logos - for all the heat that the London 2012 logo got, and rightfully to a degree - I think the whole brand around it and the usage of it were brilliant. Like, you recognised anything from the colour, the font, or it just being on an angled shape. Some of them are shown here, and seeing them in practice across the UK, in the park, it really worked and was memorable.

I have to say, the font really grew on me over time.

Oh this is just for the candidacy. Apparently, whoever wins will have to design a logo for the Games themselves.Shame because I really like the LA one.

Logo on its own still naff mind, but they toned it down in practice and tended to go with a flat white on colour rather than the two colour layered mess.

Yeah that's what impressed me as well. LA did something similar in 1984:
https://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2014/september/la84-celebrated-in-new-olympic-museum-show/
http://gizmodo.com/how-l-a-s-1984-summer-olympics-became-the-most-success-1516228102

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Actually, that was the logo for the Olympics itself. Candidate logos are a bit different, and this was London's:

I have to say, the font really grew on me over time.

I totally agree.Living in London at the time and seeing it everywhere really changed my opinion of it.

Bear in mind this logo does not exist in a vacuum. People look at one picture on the internet and think "that's shit", but when it's used for it's intended purpose, with different colour variations and appearing on signage etc in practice, it really becomes a part of the whole and you can't help but associate it with the whole event. Some more examples of the logo in the field that look much better:

Everything tied in together and it had such a distinct look that after a while the initial feeling of the jarring angular look of it when seeing it isolated from everything else faded away and it really worked well. The colour variations really helped too.

Would some other design have worked better? Who knows. The truth is though this branding extended beyond the logo and shouldn't be judged on that one image.

gimmmick

Liking the Paris one a lot.

Hope LA gets it, the new NFL stadium that the Rams are building will hopefully attract many voters.

Putosaure

As a parisian myself, I don't like the logo. When I first saw it, I saw a two, and a one, because they are in different colors. It's just 21.

Then I saw the same logo in black and white and it just doesn't work.
9mlNjm3.jpg

I get that's it's a clever composition, but the color scheme and choice isn't clicking for me.

In comparison, I like the simplicity of the 2012 logo.
Logo_JO_d'%C3%A9t%C3%A9_-_Candidature_Paris_2012.svg

Dougald

Everything tied in together and it had such a distinct look that after a while the initial feeling of the jarring angular look of it when seeing it isolated from everything else faded away and it really worked well. The colour variations really helped too.

The fact that the main pink hue was so distinctive was very helpful too. It was all over the public transport network and you really couldn't miss Olympic signage or staff.

I still think the logo is ugly in a vacuum, but as a branding exercise it worked phenomenally well.

actually, not a fan of that paris logo. yes it's clever and has a lot of things in it but i don't like the overall look. i like the butterflywoman more.

LA's is by far the weakest of the three to me. The lines that represent sun beams are too thin, and the type doesn't appear wel integrated with the logo mark. It has a kind of kitschy retro appeal to it, but I think Paris' is much better

The color is a bit weak too, but I really like the fairy posture. I like the optimism. "Clever" logo of merging numbers is so pointless.

komplanen

Can someone explain the Paris logo? I think it's by far the best and looks amazing. I see the Eiffel Tower, a number 2 and a number 4. The gradient colors are the olympic rings.

What else?

oti

Banned
I totally agree.Living in London at the time and seeing it everywhere really changed my opinion of it.

Bear in mind this logo does not exist in a vacuum. People look at one picture on the internet and think "that's shit", but when it's used for it's intended purpose, with different colour variations and appearing on signage etc in practice, it really becomes a part of the whole and you can't help but associate it with the whole event. Some more examples of the logo in the field that look much better:

Would some other design have worked better? Who knows. The truth is though this branding extended beyond the logo and shouldn't be judged on that one image.

No, it really is just terrible.

GOAT logo.

2004_athens_logo.jpg

Simple
Symbolism
Beautiful

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Paris logo is just brilliant. You see so many logos these days where you wonder why somebody paid 50k to get something a kid could've come up with but then you get something like this and somebody actually got their money's worth.

undu

LA one is just awful. How does it represent a city, with a person with a wing-shaped blob behind her? I've never seen an angel representing Los Angeles, it's too literal.
Why is there a sun with light rays crossing the logo (or whatever it is)? Why were those colours chosen?

Rome one is generic as hell, it could be the logo of a pizzeria.

The Paris logo is good, though.

Can someone explain the Paris logo? I think it's by far the best and looks amazing. I see the Eiffel Tower, a number 2 and a number 4. The gradient colors are the olympic rings.

What else?

The 2 and 4 represent the year '24 (2024), when Paris (represented by the Eiffel tower) would host the Olympics.

It would also make a great pin.

Other than that, you've pretty much picked up on everything else.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
LA is terrible (both the logo and that awful font). Rome is ok, just entirely uncreative. It doesn't do anything clever at all. Paris is the best by far. Although I don't fully "get it". I see a "2" and a "4", so sure, "24", but it doesn't really scream "2024". It's also easy to see it as "21". EDIT: Oh, it's also an Eiffel Tower! Didn't even see that at first, lol.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Paris' is damn creative.

I wouldn't mind LA. I live in Chicago so its perfect. I can visit without the shit show that comes with it.

komplanen

The 2 and 4 represent the year '24 (2024), when Paris (represented by the Eiffel tower) would host the Olympics.

It would also make a great pin.

Other than that, you've pretty much picked up on everything else.

Geez I'm stupid. I was looking for the missing 0 not realizing the whole '24 thing

Nikodemos

LA's symbol looks generic (and yes, it's definitely a faerie, not an angel), the lightrays are uninspired and the font is best exorcised back to the late '80s videogame adverts it came from.

Paris is nicely understated and the multiple images found within it have already been mentioned, though the vertical bar for the '4' needs retouching in order to make it look less like a '1'.

Rome's is unfortuntely the least mentionable, either for bad or good. The swooshes are supposed to inspire motivity, action etc. but the entire composition is rather tonally flat.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seriously, that LA font. How did anyone think that looked good or classy or... not terrible?

All I can say about Budapest so far is that their bid site does not inspire confidence. That's some ugly-ass junk.

Paris' logo is head and shoulders about the others.This is why I think logos are among the hardest things to design. I only saw the logo without the text initially. When I saw that it was the Paris logo I noticed the Eiffel Tower too.

1982 North America (Los Angeles)
1988 Asia (Seoul)
1992 Europe (Barcelona)
1996 North America (Atlanta)
2000 Australia (Sydney)
2004 Europe (Athens)
2008 Asia (Beijing)
2012 Europe (London)
2016 South America (Rio de Janeiro)
2020 Asia (Tokyo)

It's due in Africa and North America. Too bad The time zone in LA is bad for Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom