• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logos revealed for 2024 Olympics candidate cities (Paris wow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

I don't know, that angel just look kinda lazy to me. They have a nice idea, but the art itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah the idea is nice, but the design itself is rather bad. It reminds me of a fairy instead of an angel. So much actually that I hadn't even made the link yet between the logo and Los Angeles.

I don't know, that angel just look kinda lazy to me. They have a nice idea, but the art itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a bit more of a feathery wing look (like SlickShoesRUCrazy said), and it'd be nice if the feet looked a little less like a mermaid tail, but overall I really like it.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree, although this thread is making it pretty clear that there are very strong opinions in both directions.

I think the ambiguous "is it a 2 or a 4?" like the logo Tence posted above is both visually jarring and also redundant. I also don't like that the only way people can every figure out how to say "see, it's Paris!" is showing the Eiffel Tower. Los Angeles' angel design is far more elegant in that regard. It's a reference to the city of angels without being cliche.
How is the LA one not cliche? It is literally a picture of a generic angel. It is like if the Paris one was just effiel tower clipart.

It's good to see gradients being used a lot:D

a few weeks ago I designed a logo for Copenhagen Gay Pride 2016 that also used gradients^^

rmEUY2C.jpg

Weirdly enough gradients get a bad rep. Like a bad 80s look, but I find it pleasing to look atxD

How is the LA one not cliche? It is literally a picture of a generic angel. It is like if the Paris one was just effiel tower clipart.

How is it a generic angel? It's clearly an Olympic athlete with wings. A generic angel would have robes and a halo. And how would that be cliche anyway? Angels are rarely used to represent LA.

Weirdly enough gradients get a bad rep. Like a bad 80s look, but I find it pleasing to look atxD

They get a bad rap because there were a lot of people using them poorly when computers first made it easy to do so. It's the same for many things.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Paris's looks great, LA has a pretty good concept but needs a bit of work and Roma's is pretty shitty. Roma's looks like clipart.

The LA one is really cool because the sun is a gold medal over the angel/athlete's chest. But I feel the other features are taking attention away from it, maybe it is because it is half way between geometrical shapes and a human silhouette. Looks like a big logo with tiny details, like all the elements wouldn't be noticeable if printed small.

Korey

You guys realize that these are placeholder logos right? They don't matter at all and aren't used for anything.

xenist

The LA logo is supposed to be an angel, I guess, but looks like a fairy. Tinkerbello.

The Rome logo looks like it was designed by someone's nephew. I thought Italy was supposed to be good at design.

Paris wins.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I quite like them all to be fair. Which is unusual cause you see some real stinkers.

I'll still never get over the London olympics were so good, aside from that fucking logo.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
How is it a generic angel? It's clearly an Olympic athlete with wings. A generic angel would have robes and a halo. And how would that be cliche anyway? Angels are rarely used to represent LA.

Never heard of the City of Angels?

Anyways, Rome's is the best.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was trying to figure out why the Angels wings looked odd in the LA logo. Wondered if maybe it was a map of the LA area but it isn't.

I'm guessing it's an Olympic flame, along with an athlete like a swimmer/diver/gymnast, combined to make an angel

Magni

I'm surprised at the love for Paris tho.

I think it looks generic as fuuuuck.

In my head, I'm just picturing the banners, billboards and flags of the lame logo all over Paris (not to mention on shirts etc) and I just imagine it being tacky and boring.

Now LA....I could see myself holding a coffee cup with that bad boy(girl) on it.

Edit: Honestly tho, I think LA's is better at being open to creating more interesting motifs from the design that would be all over the stadium, city, etc etc

The thing is, that logo won't be all over the city. It's the candidate city logo, not the 2024 Olympics logo.

See for example what happened in 2012:

logo_london2012.jpg

Piggus

Waste of time and money. Unfortunately one of these cities winning will produce great economic harm to their country and it's more vulnerable population.

The US could host the Olympics every two years and not experience any economic harm from it. We already have the facilities and infrastructure. It's places that have to build all that stuff up that really struggle.

RibMan

The Paris logo is fantastic. Excellent work.

It's good to see gradients being used a lot:D

a few weeks ago I designed a logo for Copenhagen Gay Pride 2016 that also used gradients^^

The retro 80's look is making an awesome comeback, so I expect to see a lot more gradated logos in the near future. Gradients get a bad rep because they don't translate well in the real world. Getting the right colors on textiles and visibles (e.g. Logos) isn't that hard, however, getting it to look right under different circumstances -- different time of day, different angle, different product size -- is tougher than people realize. Also keep in mind that when dealing with high volume products (e.g. Millions of t-shirts, hats, jackets etc.), more colors will always result in higher costs.

Staab

Paris' logo is really well thought out :
- 2, 4 (24)
- Eiffel Tower
- Olympic colors
- Simple
- Stylish

Really has it all !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom