• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 04.06: "The Other Woman" (The PolarBuro Has A Little Cub On The News)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got off the crapper, after like 10 minutes, thinking about stuff that happened tonight:

- Remember in Season 1 and Season 2 everyone was worried about some airborne virus and how the hatch had "Quarantine" on the inside, the serum Desmond was taking, and how the guy in the hatch before him was putting on the hazmat suit pretending it was dangerous outside? What if all that stuff had to do with a chemical attack and not an airborne virus? Did anyone from Dharma or the guy in the hatch say it was a virus? I thought they said you just got sick...that doesn't necessarily mean a virus, they could have been poisoned by chemicals.

- Do you guys think there could be some possible connection with the chemicals and magnet? You would think a magnet like that might need some sort of cooling system...perhaps the chemicals had to do with that. The computers in the Swan and the Tempest seemed very similar.

All of this is speculation of course and no I do not read future spoilers.

Matt

Spire said:
Hmmm, that's possible. They could've done a much better job of explaining that though, the last part of your paragraph is just an assumption (but a reasonable one) and I'm not sure why the writers wouldn't have explained that.
Eh, maybe they could have, but it seemed perfectly clear to me. Dealing with volatile gas is always a dangerous process.

Matt said:
Eh, maybe they could have, but it seemed perfectly clear to me. Dealing with volatile gas is always a dangerous process.

I thought it was pretty clear also. The confusion was supposed to come in because Juliet was the one who wouldn't be in the position to know if what they are saying is true because she has been given bad information. She is the one that is confused.

Kastro

Banned
Ugh, the flashbacks reared their ugly head yet again. Weak episode. The one big reveal I was waiting for wasn't even delivered but basically given away in the next week's preview.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Excellent episode. The whole "ben may or may not release gas in the future, despite being held captive at the moment, so we have to leave RIGHT NOW without telling anyone so as to make it look like we're actually going to go release the gas" macguffin was suitable enough, because the flashbacks were superb. Such great touches they've given to the Others, they're moving farther and farther away from the soulless bastards of Season 2. I love it.

this episode was almost more Ben centric than Juliet.

This was the funniest episode of the season. Seriously, that ending, with the escalating music and the zoom in on Sawyer's face:lol :lol :lol These writers know what they're doing. Every scene Ben was in was a laugh riot.

Iceman said:
-ben walked up that hill like a girl

he had a tumor on his spine.

:lol :lol :lol this exchange is so great.

SpeedingUptoStop

Oh my god, i seriously need to find a way to youtube this ending. Sawyer's face showed how utterly crushed he was in the most perfect way imaginable. My god, I can't stop laughing

Weakest of the year so far (yes I liked the Kate episode more, enough about it) and I think its cause flashbacks suck, flashfowards are way better. That said its still a good episode cause this season is kicking ass. Everything with Ben was brilliant, he had so many great lines, he is the best.

Liked that we got confirmation that Widmore is the guy in charge though it was kind of obvious after last week. Lets assume Ben wasn't lying and he does not know how Widmore knows about the island, I hope Ben finds out the Desmond connection, that could be huge for him.

I hope the Jack and Juliet and Kate love triangle thing keeps up, could get interesting. But from the flashfowards it seems like Jack will be a "I love Kate" forever kind of guy.

So next week is supposed to be the best episode ever right? Its ok that we all know that Michael is the man on the boat, thats not the big thing about the episode I assume.

SpeedingUptoStop

woodchuck said:
it reminded me of the jack playing football and kate face ending :lol
It's just....he's so incredibly devastated. Like he has to do a homework assignment with the class dork or something. It's way over the top and into the stratosphere of "Incredibly awesome".:lol

Oh snap, could the race around the world Widmore set up actually been for the purpose of finding the island. What better way to find an unfindable island by having a bunch of people race around the world in a boats.

MiamiWesker said:
Weakest of the year so far (yes I liked the Kate episode more, enough about it) and I think its cause flashbacks suck, flashfowards are way better.

Personally I like the flashbacks way better then the flash forwards. Are the flash forwards what would happen if they left the island or are they what is going to happen to them no matter what.

SpeedingUptoStop

MiamiWesker said:
Oh snap, could the race around the world Widmore set up actually been for the purpose of finding the island. What better way to find an unfindable island by having a bunch of people race around the world in a boats.

Thank you for clicking on the light bulb in my head.

SpeedingUptoStop

arts&crafts said:
Personally I like the flashbacks way better then the flash forwards. Are the flash forwards what would happen if they left the island or are they what is going to happen to them no matter what.
No matter what. The producers definitely want to stress that all the consequences of situations are real, there is no undo button or what if situations. It's all really happening.

arts&crafts said:

I was like you at the end of last season, I was completely anti flashforwards cause I felt it was dumb that we get to see what happens to the characters, I felt it would kill the suspense on the island. But seeing how they are handling it this year its incredible, it is breathing more life into the show than ever. Yes i think that is what is going to happen to them no matter what.

MiamiWesker said:

That is so crazy it probably worked.

Iamthegamer said:
No matter what. The producers definitely want to stress that all the consequences of situations are real, there is no undo button or what if situations. It's all really happening.

I guess that makes sense, we get to see what leads up to the future.
How kate gets Aaron and so on
. I guess with them showing these depressing futures it makes us intrigued at what happened and why it happened.

SpeedingUptoStop

arts&crafts said:
I guess that makes sense, we get to see what leads up to the future.
How kate gets Aaron and so on
. I guess with them showing these depressing futures it makes us intrigued at what happened and why it happened.
yea, it's a lot different than the cheese of heroes, where the viewers knows "oh, well, they'll just do this and have that guy do this and it'll be like nothing ever happened". you can't give any gravity to a situation if it won't really matter.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
MiamiWesker said:

I feel validated by this post. When my brother and I were watching this episode I pointed out the same thing, and he thought I was a crazy asshole. Who's crazy now jerk?

As for your
completely asinine
assertion that tonight's episode is the worst of the season... I'd like to respond by saying that your mom is the worst episode this season.

How about this, Desmonds disappearance sparks curiosity in Penelope, she probably sees or hears something that makes her suspect her dad knows something more. She snoops around, finds the Hanso diary, learns of the island and with that knowledge she sets up the outpost that we see in season 2.

Meanwhile her dad knows Desmond is on the island (probably finds the island when the hatch explodes just like penelope did) so he sends the team with a picture of Penelope to trick Desmond into thinking its his daughter looking for him.

Could have happend...

Captain Pants said:
I feel validated by this post. When my brother and I were watching this episode I pointed out the same thing, and he thought I was a crazy asshole. Who's crazy now jerk?

As for your
completely asinine
assertion that tonight's episode is the worst of the season... I'd like to respond by saying that your mom is the worst episode this season.

Dont tell me you are a Kate hater too. :(

Captain Pants

MiamiWesker said:
How about this, Desmonds disappearance sparks curiosity in Penelope, she probably sees or hears something that makes her suspect her dad knows something more. She snoops around, finds the Hanso diary, learns of the island and with that knowledge she sets up the outpost that we see in season 2.

Meanwhile her dad knows Desmond is on the island (probably finds the island when the hatch explodes just like penelope did) so he sends the team with a picture of Penelope to trick Desmond into thinking its his daughter looking for him.

Could have happend...

This is as plausible as anything else I've read. My own theory is that Desmond might have been able to tell her about it while he was unstuck in time. Actually that was my first thought when I watched 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'.

Captain Pants

MiamiWesker said:
Dont tell me you are a Kate hater too. :(

Your mom is Kate? This time travel stuff is starting to weird me out... nah, as we've discussed elsewhere, I'm just a Claire hater. Kate is alright in my book.

SpeedingUptoStop

It's weird how every season finale ties into the best character/subplot of the show (albeit S1 finale much more subtley....as in, we don't know Desmond's there at all)

Captain Pants said:
This is as plausible as anything else I've read. My own theory is that Desmond might have been able to tell her about it while he was unstuck in time. Actually that was my first thought when I watched 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'.

The whole timeline thing is what could mess up my whole theory. Time traveling is always hard to figure out. I am of the mindset that the stuff in the past did not happen until Desmond got the ability, went back and time and changed things. But maybe that is not the case. I am from the Back to the Future school of time travel so anything other kind of theories mess me up (like Terminator, what a freaking mess, not the movie or show the time traveling aspect of it).

Iamthegamer said:
It's weird how every season finale ties into the best character/subplot of the show (albeit S1 finale much more subtley....as in, we don't know Desmond's there at all)

Desmond is the key to everything. He is Lost's constant. :D

Captain Pants

MiamiWesker said:
The whole timeline thing is what could mess up my whole theory. Time traveling is always hard to figure out. I am of the mindset that the stuff in the past did not happen until Desmond got the ability, went back and time and changed things. But maybe that is not the case. I am from the Back to the Future school of time travel so anything other kind of theories mess me up (like Terminator, what a freaking mess, not the movie or show the time traveling aspect of it).

Well... that is your problem right there. Not only does Desmond not have a flux capacitor, there is no way he can get up enough speed to time travel.

It will be interesting to see how far they go with the time travel stuff. It is risky territory... it is shark jumping territory if they don't do it right.

VPhys

Watching vulnerable Ben was just a little too disturbing. In the back of my mind I was trying to justify Ben's actions that he's just pretending to be a douche and it's all part of his master plan to take over the world.

No where in this series has Ben been shown to be so attached to someone and not in control of the situation. So the only true genius on the island just looses all his marbles when it comes to a chick? He becomes a 12 year old chess nerd with bifocals who can't get the girl because he's not on the football team? That's a really hard sell in my opinion.

Captain Pants

VPhys said:
Watching vulnerable Ben was just a little too disturbing. In the back of my mind I was trying to justify Ben's actions that he's just pretending to be a douche and it's all part of his master plan to take over the world.

No where in this series has Ben been shown to be so attached to someone and not in control of the situation. So the only true genius on the island just looses all his marbles when it comes to a chick? That's a really hard sell in my opinion.

It did seem a little inconsistent for sure. Ben went from being an evil mastermind to an awkward insecure Napoleonic d-bag in tonight's episode. I didn't like that one bit.

VPhys said:

No where in this series has Ben been shown to be so attached to someone and not in control of the situation. So the only true genius on the island just looses all his marbles when it comes to a chick? He becomes a 12 year old chess nerd with bifocals who can't get the girl because he's not on the football team? That's a really hard sell in my opinion.

Everyone has a weakness. Besides Ben has not always been strong, smart yes, but in his flashback he kind of was a weakling until the others turned him into their leader. Also when Locke heard Jacob and he did not Ben changed into an insecure threatened man. I thought that portrayal of Ben fit right in with his character.

Captain Pants

MiamiWesker said:
Everyone has a weakness. Besides Ben has not always been strong, smart yes, but in his flashback he kind of was a weakling until the others turned him into their leader. Also when Locke heard Jacob and he did not Ben changed into an insecure threatened man. I thought that portrayal of Ben fit right in with his character.

That is true, he definitely came across as a spoiled kid who do anything to keep his prize in tonight's episode. For some reason I've always seen Ben in a different light than that though. In the past I've always felt like I will understand Ben's reasons for doing things when all of his motives are out in the open. After tonight I have some doubts. He is definitely the most interesting bad guy ever.

Rand al Thor 19

Hopefully this isn't old but there is a new and interesting article up at EW about last week's time traveling episode. Apparently, Desmond did change the future.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20182393_2,00.html

PARADOX R/X, or ''HOW COURSE CORRECTION WORKS''
To be clear, Desmond's past was different before ''The Constant.'' Before his time-travel adventure, Desmond never met Faraday at Oxford, never got Penelope's digits. As a consequence of changing the past, Desmond's personal history has been ''course corrected'' by The Powers That Be, beginning from the moment he walked away from Penny's apartment. Lindelof says this interpretation is also correct. But here's a Big Question: since scoring Penelope's phone number, has Course-Corrected Desmond lived his life knowing that on Christmas Eve 2004, he MUST be on a freighter in the South Pacific in order to make a call to Penelope if he wants any chance of having a future with her? Lindelof says this is indeed a matter we should be mulling. Perhaps in the future, Lost will give us an episode that replays Desmond's backstory (getting the boat from Libby; killing Kelvin; meeting the castaways) from the point of view of this knowingness.

[And with that, our friend Damon leaves the column to attend to other important matters — running a show, raising a family, shopping for cool T-shirts. We thank him for his input. From here on, the analysis is purely mine. Sorry.]

Captain Pants said:
That is true, he definitely came across as a spoiled kid who do anything to keep his prize in tonight's episode. For some reason I've always seen Ben in a different light than that though. In the past I've always felt like I will understand Ben's reasons for doing things when all of his motives are out in the open. After tonight I have some doubts. He is definitely the most interesting bad guy ever.

Yes he is, bless the writers cause they made what I think is one of the most interesting characters in TV history. First you see Ben do something evil but then he does something else and all of a sudden you agree with him. Some times I have wanted the Losties to kill him other times I am rooting him on. He is one of the best aspects of the show for sure.

Okay episode. It had it's pros and cons.

Pros:

- Lots of Juliet. So hot.
- Return of Tom and Goodwyn
- Whispers!
- Revealed that Charles Widmore is the owner of the freighter

Cons:

- Something about Ben was "off" in this episode. I'm not sure what, exactly, but he acted out of character, especially in the dinner scene with Juliet.
- So Widmore wants to use the island...as an attraction? I guess this is obvious given the powers on the island, but I expected a more sinister motive.

And of course...

- Not enough Desmond :D

woodchuck

Jack Scofield said:
Okay episode. It had it's pros and cons.

Pros:

- Lots of Juliet. So hot.
- Return of Tom and Goodwyn
- Whispers!
- Revealed that Charles Widmore is the owner of the freighter

Cons:

- Something about Ben was "off" in this episode. I'm not sure what, exactly, but he acted out of character, especially in the dinner scene with Juliet.
- So Widmore wants to use the island...as an attraction? I guess this is obvious given the powers on the island, but I expected a more sinister motive.

And of course...

- Not enough Desmond :D

i don't think he wants to use it as an attraction. i think he'll just try to profit from it somehow. maybe not even monetarily. maybe he wants to TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Great episode. Loved all the backstory. Crazy how every new episode seems to explain reactions, etc, from older seasons.

But I dont get the whole Ben think. What, is the meat of it that he liked Juliet? Thats... it?? I assumed he meant something else with the 'you're mine'. I mean, he's a genius thats always 10 steps ahead of the game, with always ulterior motives. He got jealous? I dont buy that.

woodchuck

the therapist mentioned how juliet looked like someone. who was she referring to? ben's old childhood friend? ben's mother? oedipus complex?

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
piece of crap/10

Tieno

Just watched it, great episode! So the wink to Widmore buying that diary from the Spanish galleon (from a few episodes ago) had more significance than I initially expected.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who noticed Juliette's titties.
They do have some awesome bras and t-shirts on that island, no wet t-shirt effect...ever and it rains so much...cruel. Sad panda.
BenjaminBirdie said:
FUCKING AWESOME EPISODE.

I actually gasped when Benny said "You're mine."

It was so clearly expected to be "I love you" and then you're just like "HOLY FUCK WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?"

Sorry, but LOST is so good at characters.
I agree, way more scary!

Ben is such a cool villain. Looks like a dork, physically weak, bit old, but damn so scary. Just had to laugh at the end, when he was walking to his little house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom