• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet screens, videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's hard to decide if it sucks until we know for sure it is coming to consoles other than the 360.

:lol Too true. But really, by consoles other than 360, you mean PS3. Sadly, Nintendo has dropped out of the arms race... although I suppose a PC port is possible. ;)

RumFore

Banned
nitewulf said:
BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. no way man. you lost me there. may be you were being sarcastic.
capcom = killer action, dumb ****ing story.

Are you being sarcastic? Alot of capcom games have had great stories (not counting stuff like Mega Man). Resident Evil comes off better than alot of movies. Hell even the first Shenmue. The story in this sounds great also.

jimbo

Banned
RaijinFY said:
Why the hate for this game?

This looks ****ing awesome!

Well honestly, it's another 360 game that looks to be solid quality. And there are a lot of fanboys that simply cannot stomach another 360 game, especially a new IP, that comes out brand new, turns out great, and sells another 500k-1mil copies. So a lot of people desperetately try attacking it from any possible angle in the hopes of:

a) stirring up enough negative feelings that it will either make the game turn out bad(not possible) or get enough people to say that it is bad so it will affect perception.

b) or that enough negativity will hopefully prevent the game from selling a lot of copies and become popular.

c)because it's what a lot of folks on GAF do.

d) all of the above.

Take your pick.

Sephiroth said:
The game is not meh it's just average looking. It has some bad textures and the enemies are not that detailed because of the low polygon count used to create them, which shows. Game looks beautiful in motion though.
This is exactly it. The character models and textures aren't really all that above a high-end Xbox game but when you see the game in motion, it's like seeing an entirely different game.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's hard to decide if it sucks until we know for sure it is coming to consoles other than the 360.
You act like this only happens in 360 threads, it happens in all next gen game threads. DMC4, MGS4, Resistence, Forza 2, Gears of War it doesn't ****ing matter.

I hate the term "meh" -- it's so ****in retarded.

GAF request to mods : ban those who use meh and only meh to define a game. (not mine though >.>)

It's a cop-out troll remark and the term 'meh' is really beginning to piss me off.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
C- Warrior said:
I hate the term "meh" -- it's so ****in retarded.

GAF request to mods : ban those who use meh and only meh to define a game. (not mine though >.>)

It's a cop-out troll remark and the term 'meh' is really beginning to piss me off.

I can't agree more. It started as a term of indifference, but now, like you said, it's a cop-out to down something without reason.

Same goes to "boring".

Zifnab

It's been described as 'meh' because that's what the screenshots themselves look like. What's wrong with saying it? Lost Planet looks great in motion, but it's mostly the result of excellent artwork, great use of motion blur and some nice animation. Technically, the game isn't particularly impressive: polycounts are low, textures are average, draw distance is short, lighting is pre-baked, etc. (and there are exceptions to some of these) The problem is that these shots bring out those flaws.

jimbo said:
Well honestly, it's another 360 game that looks to be solid quality. And there are a lot of fanboys that simply cannot stomach another 360 game, especially a new IP, that comes out brand new, turns out great, and sells another 500k-1mil copies. So a lot of people desperetately try attacking it from any possible angle in the hopes of:

a) stirring up enough negative feelings that it will either make the game turn out bad(not possible) or get enough people to say that it is bad so it will affect perception.

b) or that enough negativity will hopefully prevent the game from selling a lot of copies and become popular.

c)because it's what a lot of folks on GAF do.

d) all of the above.

Take your pick.

d

I aced that shit.

szaromir

Banned
Zifnab said:
It's been described as 'meh' because that's what the screenshots themselves look like. What's wrong with saying it? Lost Planet looks great in motion, but it's mostly the result of excellent artwork, great use of motion blur and some nice animation. Technically, the game isn't particularly impressive: polycounts are low, textures are average, draw distance is short, lighting is pre-baked, etc. (and there are exceptions to some of these) The problem is that these shots bring out those flaws.
Hell no. Polycounts are high (especially for people, mechs and worms), textures good*, draw distance is not that short. Lighting is prebaked, but so is in majority of games. Plus you have incredible particle effects. Plus there are times when you have dozens or even hundreds of worms at once. Plus rock-solid framerate. It is technically impressive. Not gears-of-war-impressive, but impressive. If you don't agree with me play marketplace demo (build shown at X06 Canada is said to have better graphics) or watch the new trailer only to look for flaws. You won't notice many, despite looking for them.
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3681_en.html

*if not, 95% or more next-gen games fail to deliver good textures.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Fix said:
Who hates? I said "meh." I'm able to draw a distinction in my opinions between pretty pictures and the apparent substance of the game which seems to me to be a lot of old hat play. Played the demo? That's fantastic for you. Did it do great new things? Was it the best execution of its kind? Or were you too busy cooing at poly counts like you always do? Tell me: was it an incredible, enveloping experience of dazzling immersion, shattered the second Capcom tried to put words through someone's mouth? Was the music the "best thing ever heard with ears?" I don't hate the game, because it's a ****ing video game. Only haters in here are you fine gents who can't take three letters of indifference, you simpering, spark-counting toadies of graphical whoredom.

What the hell are you doing in this thread then? Why even comment on the game? That "meh" was no different than those one word "downgrade" posts that derail threads and are now banned. You haven't even played the demo. If 3rd-person shooters are "old hat" and generic to you, then why did you click this thread? Stick to Wii topics, or whatever genre you feel is up to your elitist standards.

And you asked: Is it the best execution of its kind? Honestly, yes it could definitely end up in that league. The graphics aren't the only reason people like this game, it's just so fun to play. The gameplay's arcadey yet deep at the same time. You're one jaded dude.

Odysseus

Banned
Why the Lost Planet hate or "meh" responses?

Well... I, for one, was turned off by a trailer that debuted around TGS. To recap, it basically showed mankind being confronted by nearly undefeatable alien beings, and we were perfectly content to retreat and avoid the aliens if at all possible. Then we discovered we could use them as energy sources, and suddenly we went from being the hunted to the hunter. That's a capital M, followed by an E, and rounded out with an H.

This doesn't help: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123727&highlight=Lost+Planet.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Odysseus said:

Well... I, for one, was turned off by a trailer that debuted around TGS. To recap, it basically showed mankind being confronted by nearly undefeatable alien beings, and we were perfectly content to retreat and avoid the aliens if at all possible. Then we discovered we could use them as energy sources, and suddenly we went from being the hunted to the hunter. That's a capital M, followed by an E, and rounded out with an H.

This doesn't help: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123727&highlight=Lost+Planet.

First of all, read the post I quoted in that Collector's Edition thread. That's not what the CE is gonna be.

Second, again, have you played the demo? It doesn't sound like it. It sounds more like you're judging a game based on a trailer that previewed the plot. Uhh... what? Anyways, how many videogames have great stories? I can count them on one hand. People don't play games for Oscar-calibre screenplays... they watch movies to fill that void.

edit, here's that quote:
Just to head off some of the potential hysteria, Capcom has not yet officially announced the contents of the collectors edition package (some retailers have been briefed on a few of the items under discussion, but not all that is planned/under discussion). In all honesty, if people think what's posted here (or in the Neogaf thread) is exactly what's going to be in the box, they will likely be at least partially mistaken. There will be well in excess of $10 worth of value.

Again, "sorry to be vague but all will be made clear soon(TM)"

I think I'm just going to permanently leave that statement on my clipboard to copy and paste as often as I use it.

Odysseus

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:
First of all, read the post I quoted in that Collector's Edition thread. That's not what the CE is gonna be.

Second, again, have you played the demo? It doesn't sound like it. It sounds more like you're judging a game based on a trailer that previewed the plot. Uhh... what? Anyways, how many videogames have great stories? I can count them on one hand. People don't play games for Oscar-calibre screenplays... they watch movies to fill that void.

edit, here's that quote:

Who cares what's in the box? It's what's not in the game that matters. Three different maps that are available three different ways? One game, full content. Now, I'd not be interested in multiplayer if I were to buy Lost Planet, so it's not a huge hangup, but the principle behind it is important. Distribution methods such as this and macrotransactions are terrible precedents to set and I do not want to support them. Plot, however, is very important and the way they set up the plot in that trailer turned me off the game big time. That trailer made mankind out to be a bunch of douchebags, and all I wanted to be when I watched the trailer is the instrument that destroyed those douchebags. If it's revealed by another trailer that I am that instrument, then great.

Odysseus said:

That's a nice try. I give you an E, for Effort :)

The game does look very nice, but it's mostly due to effects and art design, IMO. Technically it's nothing to write home about. Mediocre textures abound and low polygon counts really bring this down. I'm not sure wether to include animation here, but it's not so great that it changes the look of the game completely, it doesn't in the least. It gives a nice ammount of "life" to some rather pedestrian models.

Much like DMC4 (even if IMO, DMC4 actually looks much better than this one), they just can't hang out with the most technically accomplished titles of their respective plattforms. GoW laughs at this game, and so does FFXIII and MGS4 at DMC.

Now, we know that is the result of Capcom's framework engine and we all know of its benefits. Still, that begs the question, are more games worth the rather mediocre looks they all have?? Or would we prefer having a...say, a DMC4 that actually is close to the target render but less games from Capcom??

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Odysseus said:
I've never played the demo.

Also, read the quote again. Nothing is confirmed. The maps are not a lock, so stop making final judgement on a game because of some unconfirmed rumors about it's Collector's edition... ridiculous.

edit, and a story that hasn't been told yet.

szaromir

Banned
Logan Cano said:
Monster?? Talk about overreacting.
I deliberately exaggerated.
GoW laughs at this game, and so does FFXIII and MGS4 at DMC.
Having seen MGS4 TGS trailer, I can't agree with you on that. Actually, texture in MGS4 are horrible and polycounts aren't any higher.

szaromir said:
I deliberately exaggerated.

Having seen MGS4 TGS trailer, I can't agree with you on that. Actually, texture in MGS4 are horrible and polycounts aren't any higher.

girl2ji3.jpg

Sure thing, those character models are AWESOME. Give me a break, get some glasses. These Capcom games look nice but are mediocre in technical terms and that's a fact.

I find it funny that you attack MGS4 rather than GoW. Xbot?? If that is the case, let's use Mass Effect, those character models SHIT on this crappy display of low polygon characters.

Odysseus

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:
Also, read the quote again. Nothing is confirmed. The maps are not a lock, so stop making final judgement on a game because of some unconfirmed rumors about it's Collector's edition... ridiculous.

I'm making a preliminary judgment on the game because of a bad trailer and because of reports of the collector's edition and that's not ridiculous at all. Until proven otherwise, this game is on the outs. If the final plot and the final content otherwise are up to par, then the "meh" can change to a "may buy somewhere down the line." I'm not spending $60 on it ever, that's for sure.

I don't know what all the haters are crying about it looks great to me. Maybe because not on the PS3 so all the Sony fanboys are putting it down. Capcom is really great next gen DMC4, DR, and LP.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Odysseus said:
I'm not spending $60 on it ever, that's for sure. Especially since I've never played it, which would just be a crazy thing to do. I much rather judge it based on unconfirmed rumors about its Collector's Edition and a hint of its story in a trailer.

Totally agree, I mean who plays games anymore?

ORANGUTAN said:
What the hell are you doing in this thread then? Why even comment on the game? That "meh" was no different than those one word "downgrade" posts that derail threads and are now banned. You haven't even played the demo. If 3rd-person shooters are "old hat" and generic to you, then why did you click this thread? Stick to Wii topics, or whatever genre you feel is up to your elitist standards.

And you asked: Is it the best execution of its kind? Honestly, yes it could definitely end up in that league. The graphics aren't the only reason people like this game, it's just so fun to play. The gameplay's arcadey yet deep at the same time. You're one jaded dude.
LOL I just checked your post history. GG

Odysseus

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:
Totally agree, I mean who plays games anymore?

Dude, get off it. It's called filtering. You can't play everything that comes along. At least I can't, and I don't want to either. I'm not like some folks that buy everything that's released and then complain because I can never get through my backlog, and then go out and buy ten more games. Screw that. Find a couple of games here and there that are interesting, let the rest maybe come into play when I'm in the mood and they can be found on the cheap. This game is beautiful, no denying it there, but it has slipped into B status.

szaromir said:
No. Different hair and faces, the new one has bigger decolletage.

Logan Cano - and MGS4 is sooooooooooooo incredible.
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4361/899_0005.jpg

I wouldn't say that ME shits on LP, ME characters are heavily normal mapped and show some serious lack of polygons on faces (triangular cheeckbones of main character:lol )

Are you 6 years old or something?? Getting the worst MGS4 screenshot you could find is childish. Use your eyes, those characters look like shit, textures instead of polygon detail, low res textures at that, square looking body...sheez, I know expectations dropped considerably once we saw actual next gen games, but this is ridiculous. Compare those to this:

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20061007033913035.jpg

mass-effect-20060929023317608.jpg

final-fantasy-xiii-20061007021934284.jpg

gears-of-war-20061018104612225.jpg

I picked these screenshots randomly, or at least tried to, to make a fair comparison. It's not a fanboy comparison, I think it's VERY clear Capcom's efforts can't compete with the best on either system. Animation is nice and all, but it'd be much nicer to apply those animations to better looking models.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
LOL I just checked your post history. GG

What's that supposed to mean? There's nothing wrong with my post history. I've criticized Xbox and I've criticized Playstation. The only thing I'm a fanboy of is Lost Planet.

goldenpp72

That mgs4 shot looked like ass, look how flat everything around him is, hell I can count polys all over him.

And I think the LP models look great, im not sure if you're trying to kid around or not.

ORANGUTAN said:
You can't play cut scenes... what does it matter? All I care about is how it looks during gameplay.

Are you being dumb on purpose?? We are discussing visuals, and cutscenes are where those visuals usually are at their best.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Odysseus said:
Dude, get off it. It's called filtering. You can't play everything that comes along. At least I can't, and I don't want to either. I'm not like some folks that buy everything that's released and then complain because I can never get through my backlog, and then go out and buy ten more games. Screw that. Find a couple of games here and there that are interesting, let the rest maybe come into play when I'm in the mood and they can be found on the cheap. This game is beautiful, no denying it there, but it has slipped into B status.

Do you even have a 360? I'm assuming you don't because if you did you'd have played the demo by now.

Whatever the case, I just hope you judge every other game you consider buying from now on in the same manner... "generic plot based on the trailer" and "CE content". Good luck with that.

szaromir

Banned
Are you 6 years old or something?? Getting the worst MGS4 screenshot you could find is childish. Use your eyes, those characters look like shit, textures instead of polygon detail, low res textures at that, square looking body...sheez, I know expectations dropped considerably once we saw actual next gen games, but this is ridiculous. Compare those to this:
Do you realize that you compare heavily 'edited' screens in Photoshop to screens that I took out directly from heavily compressed trailers using Media Player Classic?
I still see poly edges on characters in MS4 and Mass Effect screens...

ORANGUTAN said:
What's that supposed to mean? There's nothing wrong with my post history. I've criticized Xbox and I've criticized Playstation. The only thing I'm a fanboy of is Lost Planet.
I never said you were a fanboy, but you did the exact same thing you just condemned. You said Warhawk looked like ass and called it a PS2 port. It served no purpose and is just ass bad as saying meh. Practice what you preach.

szaromir said:
Do you realize that you compare heavily 'edited' screens in Photoshop to screens that I took out directly from heavily compressed trailers using Media Player Classic?
If those MGS 4 and Gears of War screens are edited Konami and Epic need to find new editors, because neither of those look so hot.

tegdf

I guess enough people are saying the game doesn't look good and is gonna suck, so I've made the decision not to buy this game

szaromir said:

Well, would you mind telling me the photoshopped elements in those screens?? Regardless of polygon edges, you can't dispute the main point that those character models are way above and beyond what Capcom is doing with all of their next gen games. I personally believe their framework engine to not be good enough and hope they either upgrade it heavily or stop using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom