• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet screens, videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
I never said you were a fanboy, but you did the exact same thing you just condemned. You said Warhawk looked like ass and called it a PS2 port. It served no purpose and is just ass bad as saying meh. Practice what you preach.

Warhawk does look like ass. The graphics just aren't good compared to the other PS3 games, which is exactly what I said.

And about the "PS2 port" comment, I wasn't saying it looks like it belongs on PS2...but rather that people have said it originated on PS2 and had old assets (ie: a game not made from the ground up for next-gen, a "port"). I clarified that several times as well.

ORANGUTAN said:
Warhawk does look like ass. The graphics just aren't good compared to the other PS3 games, which is exactly what I said.

And about the "PS2 port" comment, I wasn't saying it looks like it belongs on PS2...but rather that people have said it originated on PS2 and had old assets (ie: a game not made from the ground up for next-gen, "port"). I clarified that several times as well.
How is that any different from anyone saying this game looks like ass and doesn't compare to other next gen games? (I don't agree with that statement)

BamYouHaveAids said:
How is that any different from anyone saying this game looks like ass and doesn't compare to other next gen games? (I don't agree with that statement)

To clarify, I don't think it looks like crap. I am merely stating that Capcom's games are not techincally good enough to compete with the best next gen games that we have seen. :)

In fact I have praised the games visuals in this thread before. Blinded people just can't see the flaws I pointed out and that's why I focused on that.

Odysseus

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:
Do you even have a 360? I'm assuming you don't because if you did you'd have played the demo by now.

Whatever the case, I just hope you judge every other game you consider buying from now on in the same manner... "generic plot based on the trailer" and "CE content". Good luck with that.

No, I don't have a 360 yet, the value isn't there. But on the second point, how hard is that skull of yours? Because that's exactly what I do with every game I see. It either immediately looks interesting, or it does not. If something about it rubs me the wrong way enough, then I will certainly not buy it outside of an extended lull if at all. As such, there are maybe 5 or 6 games in any given year I think are worth buying.

Mifune

Mehmber
C- Warrior said:
I hate the term "meh" -- it's so ****in retarded.

GAF request to mods : ban those who use meh and only meh to define a game. (not mine though >.>)

It's a cop-out troll remark and the term 'meh' is really beginning to piss me off.

SnakeXs said:
I can't agree more. It started as a term of indifference, but now, like you said, it's a cop-out to down something without reason.

It's not too late to join my army. We need the support.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89921&highlight="insidious+evil"

szaromir

Banned
Logan Cano said:
Well, would you mind telling me the photoshopped elements in those screens?? Regardless of polygon edges, you can't dispute the main point that those character models are way above and beyond what Capcom is doing with all of their next gen games. I personally believe their framework engine to not be good enough and hope they either upgrade it heavily or stop using it.
Uber AA in MGS4 and ME is definitely not in game. I'm not saying Capcom games are pinnacle of next-gen, but they are quite impressive. Capcom themselves will probably make much better looking games, just as every other company.

Odysseus said:
No, I don't have a 360 yet, the value isn't there. But on the second point, how hard is that skull of yours? Because that's exactly what I do with every game I see. It either immediately looks interesting, or it does not. If something about it rubs me the wrong way enough, then I will certainly not buy it outside of an extended lull if at all. As such, there are maybe 5 or 6 games in any given year I think are worth buying.

IAWTP.

Frankly, I can't see why there's so many people that own 100+ games for each console they have. If you know your tastes, you know the games that will come out that appeal precisely to what you like the most. There's absolutely no need to try out every single game out there, I'd rather do something else with my time.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:

Lost Planet is pretty much universally praised, and that praise is extra valid becacuse most everyone's played the game. Also, the reasons people hated on LP in this thread are ridiculous. The one guy "Fix" simply doesn't like shooters and felt the need to comment in a thread about a shooter. The other guy was going on about the possibly shitty story (of a videogame) and what's in the collector's edition.

Warhawk, on the other hand, has gotten a lot of heat... the first media we saw of it was awful, it's gotten better since but it doesn't compare with the rest of that line-up, imo. The good thing is they delayed it to Summer 07' so it could improve quite a bit.

szaromir said:
Uber AA in MGS4 and ME is definitely not in game. I'm not saying Capcom games are pinnacle of next-gen, but they are quite impressive. Capcom themselves will probably make much better looking games, just as every other company.

The game assets being displayed are the same, and that's what we are discussing here, AA or not, Capcom's games are not impressive, at least not in context. These games (DR, LP and DMC4) could look much better if they weren't shoe horned into the same PC engine.

Kal

ORANGUTAN said:
Lost Planet is pretty much universally praised, and that praise is extra valid becacuse most everyone's played the game. Also, the reasons people hated on LP in this thread are ridiculous. The one guy "Fix" simply doesn't like shooters and felt the need to comment in a thread about a shooter. The other guy was going on about the possibly shitty story (of a videogame) and what's in the collector's edition.

Warhawk, on the other hand, has gotten a lot of heat... the first media we saw of it was awful, it's gotten better since but it doesn't compare with the rest of that line-up, imo. The good thing is they delayed it to Summer 07' so it could improve quite a bit.

OMG You forgot me!!! ME! I'm important too :(

Never said the game was shitty though, just don't like the way it looks. It looks meh! Hello Mifune & C-Warrior! :p

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Kal said:
OMG You forgot me!!! ME! I'm important too :(

Never said the game was shitty though, just don't like the way it looks. It looks meh! Hello Mifune & C-Warrior! :p
Question for you...

Media of this game has been posted since before May of this year. Tons of threads, tons of screens and movies, tons of impressions from the demo, etc.

So you're telling me that you just now realized you don't like the way it looks? Is that what happened or did you have a different agenda? I don't think anyone needs an answer to that.

szaromir

Banned
Logan Cano said:
The game assets being displayed are the same, and that's what we are discussing here, AA or not, Capcom's games are not impressive, at least not in context. These games (DR, LP and DMC4) could look much better if they weren't shoe horned into the same PC engine.
Is there a direct-feed version of MGS4 TGS trailer? I would love to take some screens out of that trailer just to make a fair comparison with LP. I'll do the same the moment Mass Effect E3 trailer is downloaded. Lost Planet just doesn't look that bad as you make it out to look.

ORANGUTAN said:

You were one of the only two people that said anything negative about Warhawk in that thread. On the other hand alot of people have expressed negative opinions about this game, in this thread. Opinions vary you need to learn to accpet that, and also your opinion /> other's opinion. Anyways this thread is a cluster**** if you don't like the game move on.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
You were one of the only two people that said anything negative about Warhawk in that thread. On the other hand alot of people have expressed negative opinions about this game, in this thread. Opinions vary you need to learn to accpet that, and also your opinion /> other's opinion. Anyways this thread is a cluster**** if you don't like the game move on.

Consider what their reasoning for bashing LP is, though. I simply think Warhawk doesn't compare to the rest of PS3's line-up, graphically. I'm not gonna repeat the same shit over and over, but refer to that other post about what they complained about.

szaromir said:
Is there a direct-feed version of MGS4 TGS trailer? I would love to take some screens out of that trailer just to make a fair comparison with LP. I'll do the same the moment Mass Effect E3 trailer is downloaded. Lost Planet just doesn't look that bad as you make it out to look.

There's already threads with enormous ammounts of captures from MGS4's multiple trailers. Look for them. Regardless, I am NOT saying the game looks like crap, in fact I've praised it. However, it just doesn't look that good, and frankly the hyperbole about this rather mediocre looking title being one of the games with the best visuals around makes me sick, it just isn't true.

manxor

Awesome media, I can't wait for the MP demo to hit the marketplace... hope that part works out, I'm scared fo the lobby setup though. SP is what has me hyped though. '07's already looking hot, and this games a great way to start the year off. Hell yeah, there's actually a hot January game this year...

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's hard to decide if it sucks until we know for sure it is coming to consoles other than the 360.
:( Sadly, there's much truth in that comment.

szaromir

Banned
Logan Cano said:
There's already threads with enormous ammounts of captures from MGS4's multiple trailers. Look for them. Regardless, I am NOT saying the game looks like crap, in fact I've praised it. However, it just doesn't look that good, and frankly the hyperbole about this rather mediocre looking title being one of the games with the best visuals around makes me sick, it just isn't true.
I could say the same about MGS4, which is an AAA looking game by your standards. I loved Lost Planet demo and I know graphics are even better know. Models definitely aren't low-poly, textures are good, draw distance isn't as short as some people make it be, there are dozens or hundreds od worms on screens at once and the game has incredible particle effects. I don't know why people have to say this is a definition of mediocre graphics...

szaromir said:
I could say the same about MGS4, which is an AAA looking game by your standards. I loved Lost Planet demo and I know graphics are even better know. Models definitely aren't low-poly, textures are good, draw distance isn't as short as some people make it be, there are dozens or hundreds od worms on screens at once and the game has incredible particle effects. I don't know why people have to say this is a definition of mediocre graphics...
Never take the foolish too seriously...

Kal

ORANGUTAN said:
Question for you...

Media of this game has been posted since before May of this year. Tons of threads, tons of screens and movies, tons of impressions from the demo, etc.

So you're telling me that you just now realized you don't like the way it looks? Is that what happened or did you have a different agenda? I don't think anyone needs an answer to that.

Don't be stupid. What does that have to do with anything? :lol Calm the fcuk down. No need to burst a vessel over my opinion. I never said the game was bad or terrible, I'm just not WOWED by the graphics. Period.

LOL at the MGS4 screenshots in this thread. I don't think it's WOW worthy either.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Kal, the point is, have you played it? If not, then your opinion doesn't have much worth to it since there's a demo out. Almost everyone who's played it says the screens and movies do it no justice. I can attest to that myself.

If there were never a demo released and all we had were screens and a few movies... then sure.

I mean I had like little to no interest in the game when Capcom first announced it... we had screens and trailers and it looked like a solid but forgettable shooter to me, nothing more.

Then they released the demo and we got a chance to play... "HOLY SHIT" was the universal reaction.

Kal

ORANGUTAN said:
Kal, the point is, have you played it? If not, then your opinion doesn't have much worth to it since there's a demo out. Almost everyone who's played it says the screens and movies do it no justice. I can attest to that myself.

If there were never a demo released and all we had were screens and a few movies... then sure.

I mean I had like little to no interest in the game when Capcom first announced it... we had screens and trailers and it looked like a solid but forgettable shooter to me, nothing more.

Then they released the demo and we got a chance to play... "HOLY SHIT" was the universal reaction.

Like I said earlier, I haven't played the demo. I will play it as soon as I set up my XBox 360(just moved, had no internet connection in my old house) Hopefully I'll be pleasantly suprised.

Are we friends now? :D

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Kal said:
Like I said earlier, I haven't played the demo. I will play it as soon as I set up my XBox 360(just moved, had no internet connection in my old house) Hopefully I'll be pleasantly suprised.

Sure... did you just get the 360? I'll add you to my list... I just got a new one myself, had one earlier in the year

Kal said:

Then shut the **** up until you play the demo, ok? Don't ruin any more threads with your bullshit.

Orangutan -- Word. Exactly how I felt. The demo is extremely, extremely impressive.

Kal

Incognito said:
Then shut the **** up until you play the demo, ok? Don't ruin any more threads with your bullshit.

Orangutan -- Word. Exactly how I felt. The demo is extremely, extremely impressive.

No you should shut the fcuk up. I'm not allowed to have an opinion based on the vids I watched? I never claimed to have played the demo. No one has played MGS4 but that doesn't stop people from talking about the graphics.

NinSoX

Banned
Kal said:
No you should shut the fcuk up. I'm not allowed to have an opinion based on the vids I watched? I never claimed to have played the demo. No one has played MGS4 but that doesn't stop people from talking about the graphics.

sounds like you're trolling in retaliation. BANNED

Anyway that FF13 screenshot doesn't look so impressive anymore, even though it's the best looking next-gen title. Gaf has made us too critical with everything

Kal

NinSoX said:

Retaliation for what? People trashing MGS4? I don't think it looks so good as well :lol (GoW looks waaay better)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NinSoX said:

Anyway that FF13 screenshot doesn't look so impressive anymore, even though it's the best looking next-gen title. Gaf has made us too critical with everything

Are you kidding me?
9c72a28a445129cbb6bb70387d9bd479.jpg

243ee9b2f7d74b41ad4063c44f4cb336.jpg

de81a89abc04c84969342ceb3f8528ac.jpg

<3

ORANGUTAN

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Dumbfounded by the lack of bannings in this thread.
If this was an MGS4 thread and people dropped a few "Meh."'s to set it off... I wonder what would've went down. I wonder, PhatSaqs. Do you wonder too?

ORANGUTAN said:
If this was an MGS4 thread and people dropped a few "Meh."'s to set it off... I wonder what would've went down. I wonder, PhatSaqs. Do you wonder too?

There's nothing to wonder: they would have been summarily banned before someone could even finish a response to their "Meh's." Sometimes this forum is so naked in its bias that it's tough to even lurk on the gaming side of things anymore.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Incognito said:
There's nothing to wonder: they would have been summarily banned before someone could even finish a response to their "Meh's." Sometimes this forum is so naked in its bias that it's tough to even lurk on the gaming side of things anymore.

I think I'm gonna try it and see what happens. Drop a big fat "Meh." in the next MGS4 screenshot/movie thread. It could be like a case study or something...

ORANGUTAN said:
I think I'm gonna try it and see what happens. Drop a big fat "Meh." in the next MGS4 screenshot/movie thread. It could be like a case study or something...

Be careful; I hear Amir0x has MGS threads on his RSS feed. Anything short of adulation and effusive praise and you're sent packing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
m0dus said:
Not to mention the fact that the images you posted are no more impressive than the Lost Planet screens. The only difference here is one of style preference, not quality.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Zifnab

szaromir said:
Hell no. Polycounts are high (especially for people, mechs and worms), textures good*, draw distance is not that short. Lighting is prebaked, but so is in majority of games. Plus you have incredible particle effects. Plus there are times when you have dozens or even hundreds of worms at once. Plus rock-solid framerate. It is technically impressive. Not gears-of-war-impressive, but impressive.

Polycounts are not high. Some of the monsters have decent polycounts whilst others have some very visible polygonal edges. This alone wouldn't be a problem, it wasn't for the environment which is extremely low poly. Buildings have little geometric complexity and I don't even have to mention the landscape. In short, each scene is low-poly. Draw distance is short because almost everywhere you look there is a wall of snow / white fog or a hill blocking the view.

Textures are average. There are some decent looking ones whilst others are quite poor as was pointed out.

I'll compare this to Devil May Cry 4, which is allegedly running on the same engine. DMC4 has higher polycounts and better textures.

devil-may-cry-4-20060925014447183.jpg

Look at the monsters, Nero, the enivronment, and the textures. There are simply more polygons being pushed around and textures are better although lighting is also prebaked. It's not particularly visible here but the view distance is also quite high in this area. Frame rate is 60 or 100 fps or whatever Capcom claims.

szaromir said:
Lighting is prebaked, but so is in majority of games.

Which actually helps prove my point: that it's technically average.

szaromir said:
If you don't agree with me play marketplace demo (build shown at X06 Canada is said to have better graphics) or watch the new trailer only to look for flaws. You won't notice many, despite looking for them.
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3681_en.html

Errr... I've seen that video and I see the same 'flaws' I'm talking about here. Low polycount and low draw distance. I won't make any comments on the textures there because the video isn't great quality and the motion blur gets in the way.

Like I said, I still think the game looks great in motion but I don't see how it is anything more than technically average.

Hunter D

Zifnab said:
Polycounts are not high. Some of the monsters have decent polycounts whilst others have some very visible polygonal edges. This alone wouldn't be a problem, it wasn't for the environment which is extremely low poly. Buildings have little geometric complexity and I don't even have to mention the landscape. In short, each scene is low-poly. Draw distance is short because almost everywhere you look there is a wall of snow / white fog or a hill blocking the view.

Textures are average. There are some decent looking ones whilst others are quite poor as was pointed out.

I'll compare this to Devil May Cry 4, which is allegedly running on the same engine. DMC4 has higher polycounts and better textures.

devil-may-cry-4-20060925014447183.jpg

Look at the monsters, Nero, the enivronment, and the textures. There are simply more polygons being pushed around and textures are better although lighting is also prebaked. It's not particularly visible here but the view distance is also quite high in this area. Frame rate is 60 or 100 fps or whatever Capcom claims.

Which actually helps prove my point: that it's technically average.

Errr... I've seen that video and I see the same 'flaws' I'm talking about here. Low polycount and low draw distance. I won't make any comments on the textures there because the video isn't great quality and the motion blur gets in the way.

Like I said, I still think the game looks great in motion but I don't see how it is anything more than technically average.

I don't know what you're looking at, but LP has a highter poly count than DMC4.

etiolate

Banned
****ing graphic whores.

If you look at this game, and start counting polys and effects, then please just quit the hobby. This is not what the hobby is about.

When I look at this game I see big neat enviroments and giant aliens coming to kill me and think awesome.

Dahbomb

Hunter D said:
I don't know what you're looking at, but LP has a highter poly count than DMC4.
DMC4 has a much higher polygon count on characters/bosses than Lost Planet. The pic that he posted doesn't show polygon count at all, until you see the characters very up close.

vlcsnap-111877.png

vlcsnap-114771.png

Lost Planet is a graphical beast, it looks great and plays great. Screw all you haters here seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom