• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet screens, videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zifnab said:
I'll compare this to Devil May Cry 4, which is allegedly running on the same engine.

Well that's a pretty dumb thing to compare to unless DMC4 has the same amount of baddies and such on the screen at once as LP. Not to mention that LP is also designed for online multiplayer. Games running on the same engine won't look the same when they have different design considerations.

Branduil

This thread is full of stupid. You're making Mikirby cry.

mikirbycz4.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
shpankey said:
so much truth here it's kind of funny

For stunning evidence, see the Ninja Gaiden Sigma thread. It is an embarassment to all right thinking people on the forum.

It's sad and quite pathetic that we can't have any discussion on Xbox 360/PS3 games without some jackasses starting a pissing match. No one gives a **** how many pixels DMC4 has, or how many textures Gears has. If Lost Planet was on the PS3 you wouldn't give a shit.

Lost Planet looks amazing, graphically. DMC4 looks amazing, graphically. We've already learned that pictures don't do most next gen games justice; a quick glance at any Lost Planet video would show that it looks very impressive.

I wish people would grow up and enjoy the games instead of acting like little kids on the playground arguing whether or not Mario could kick Sonic's ass.

Dahbomb

PhoenixDark said:
It's sad and quite pathetic that we can't have any discussion on Xbox 360/PS3 games without some jackasses starting a pissing match. No one gives a **** how many pixels DMC4 has, or how many textures Gears has. If Lost Planet was on the PS3 you wouldn't give a shit.

Lost Planet looks amazing, graphically. DMC4 looks amazing, graphically. We've already learned that pictures don't do most next gen games justice; a quick glance at any Lost Planet video would show that it looks very impressive.

I wish people would grow up and enjoy the games instead of acting like little kids on the playground arguing whether or not Mario could kick Sonic's ass.
Actually if Lost Planet was on PS3, it would be compared to GOW as well. Resistance is a very different game than GOW yet its always compared to GOW. Comparisons will happen, and GOW is the current standard for next-gen shooter games.

I think discussions about graphics for games that aren't released yet (especially around screens) should be a bannable offense.

Zifnab said:
Polycounts are not high. Some of the monsters have decent polycounts whilst others have some very visible polygonal edges. This alone wouldn't be a problem, it wasn't for the environment which is extremely low poly. Buildings have little geometric complexity and I don't even have to mention the landscape. In short, each scene is low-poly. Draw distance is short because almost everywhere you look there is a wall of snow / white fog or a hill blocking the view.

Textures are average. There are some decent looking ones whilst others are quite poor as was pointed out.

I'll compare this to Devil May Cry 4, which is allegedly running on the same engine. DMC4 has higher polycounts and better textures.

devil-may-cry-4-20060925014447183.jpg

Look at the monsters, Nero, the enivronment, and the textures. There are simply more polygons being pushed around and textures are better although lighting is also prebaked. It's not particularly visible here but the view distance is also quite high in this area. Frame rate is 60 or 100 fps or whatever Capcom claims.

Wow. Pretty poor choice in a pic if you're trying to point out high polycounts. Look at the 2D gates and the flat concrete slab on the left that is using textures where polys should go to provide the illusion of depth. Same with the floor. Enemies are no more poly-rich than most of the bug enemies in LP.

Could go on, but ah whatever, DMC4 and LP are both visually stunning games that I am absolutely happy with. I'll be owning both in the very near future.

Odysseus said:
Why the Lost Planet hate or "meh" responses?

Well... I, for one, was turned off by a trailer that debuted around TGS. To recap, it basically showed mankind being confronted by nearly undefeatable alien beings, and we were perfectly content to retreat and avoid the aliens if at all possible. Then we discovered we could use them as energy sources, and suddenly we went from being the hunted to the hunter. That's a capital M, followed by an E, and rounded out with an H.

This doesn't help: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123727&highlight=Lost+Planet.

I personally don't pay attention to Capcom's childish scenarios. I really try to focus on gameplay and ignore the ridiculous story (like I did with RE4 - btw I lost count on how many times Ashley was abducted). It's a sacrifice you must make when you play Capcom games. But I can understand you though since I won't even rent Mercenaries 2 because its story is abnoxious.

Odysseus

Banned
fortified_concept said:
I personally don't pay attention to Capcom's childish scenarios. I only try to focus on gameplay like I did with RE4 (I've lost count on how many times Ashley was abducted). But I can understand you though since I won't even rent Mercenaries 2 because its story is abnoxious.

I should clarify that while I hold story to be very important in games, it's not as if I can not enjoy a great game that has a mediocre story. If the gameplay is truly superb, it can overcome a lot of sins of the story, just as an awesome story can make up for average gameplay. However, the plot or at least the set up to Lost Planet as presented by the trailer was truly repulsive to me. It's not like I'm a member of PETA or anything, but it just came across as entirely inhumane and I didn't like it one bit.

Odysseus said:
I should clarify that while I hold story to be very important in games, it's not as if I can not enjoy a great game that has a mediocre story. If the gameplay is truly superb, it can overcome a lot of sins of the story, just as an awesome story can make up for average gameplay. However, the plot or at least the set up to Lost Planet as presented by the trailer was truly repulsive to me. It's not like I'm a member of PETA or anything, but it just came across as entirely inhumane and I didn't like it one bit.

I'm pretty much the same too. Only in some unique games I can overcome the lack or stupidity of the story (Metroid Prime for example which has been one of the best games this gen for me -if not the best- and RE4 which although I don't consider one of my fav games because of its annoyingly stupid story I still think it's a great game) Well, at least, LP can't beat Mercanaries 2 in repulsiveness. USA is invading Venezuela in it.

nitewulf

games like FF13 and DMC will actually look better. they both have the style of camera that isnt user controlled. it's dynamic, but it shows one point of view. and as such, it's easier for the designers to make the viewable portion look very good. lost planet on the other hand has a controllable camera, so they have to make sure everything looks good. the wall behind you, the wreckage to the left that you can move behind, etc. in DMC 4, many things are hidden, and you wont be able to see them, no matter how hard you try. so why bother making them look good, yeah? so that frees up resources.
having said that i dont think the FF13 screens look anymore impressive than LP, aside from particle effects. polycounts is one area either console wont have an advantage on. i wont believe it. tell me anything else you want, ps3 will have better particle effetcs, light sourcing, textures...whatever. but polycounts should be similar across both consoles.

jett

D-Member
Since this thread is already FUBAR...

devil4du8.jpg

devil3xx5.jpg

DMC4's models are on a completely different universe. Seriously people, the characters in LP are like the most unimpressive thing about the game.

Nitewulf: Actually, DMC4 has a controllable camera. But still, it's only on the y-axis plane so it isn't a fully dynamic 'first person view' camera.

LP may have more enemies on screen, but dmc4 runs at 60 frames per second and has more complicated geometry (notice how the game isn't covered in snow, snow and more snow?). But then you can say Lost Planet has multiplayer and shit.

Bottom line: stop comparing the two. And btw, DMC4 is coming to late 2007, or early 2008 if it sees a delay or two. While LP is essentially done. Remember the jump Dead Rising made in it;s last year of development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom