• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: F-Zero GX

To the Dolphin players: Is there any chance one of you guys could make a sample 1080p 60fps recording of the game? For those of us who'd like to see this but don't have a powerful enough machine for it?

Even dropping the resolution to 720p is fine if that's a necessary sacrifice for an HD 60fps recording; I wouldn't be too surprised if 1080p with recording software is a stretch, given the kind of hardware you guys are using to play it at this level of detail in the first place.

Madao

i don't have a computer capable of running the game so i can't participate sadly.

the only thing that could be possible on my end is getting the replay files from my memory card on my computer but i haven't done research to see if that works.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
To the Dolphin players: Is there any chance one of you guys could make a sample 1080p 60fps recording of the game? For those of us who'd like to see this but don't have a powerful enough machine for it?

Even dropping the resolution to 720p is fine if that's a necessary sacrifice for an HD 60fps recording; I wouldn't be too surprised if 1080p with recording software is a stretch, given the kind of hardware you guys are using to play it at this level of detail in the first place.

Here's one just uploaded by ThunderWing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_znhBzKSgis

Still doesn't do the game's visuals justice even at 1080p, due to youtube notorious compression of vid files.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
i don't have a computer capable of running the game so i can't participate sadly.

the only thing that could be possible on my end is getting the replay files from my memory card on my computer but i haven't done research to see if that works.

check your PM.

Glass Joe

I remember completing story mode and the AX tracks and feeling ACCOMPLISHED. I thought I had the time trial tracks down to the best times possible, give or take some fractions of a second.

Then I saw times online and discovered what snaking was. Still hurts thinking about that. Being so perfect at something only to find out there's a cheat that makes it invalid. :-/

Sequel for Wii U most definitely wanted. Probably would be on my top 10 (if not top 5!) list of most enjoyable gaming experiences in my life.

M74

Why was Miyamoto not pleased with this game again? They mentioned in passing that Miyamoto was dissatisfied with GX during the latest Nintendo Voice Chat.

Though I favor FZeroX a bit more, GX was astounding. Especially the graphics going from bare bones and basic on the N64. Always wished this team would have gotten a crack at making a WaveRace game. I imagined like 30 water craft flying around on some crazy night time track.

Madao

I remember completing story mode and the AX tracks and feeling ACCOMPLISHED. I thought I had the time trial tracks down to the best times possible, give or take some fractions of a second.

Then I saw times online and discovered what snaking was. Still hurts thinking about that. Being so perfect at something only to find out there's a cheat that makes it invalid. :-/

Sequel for Wii U most definitely wanted. Probably would be on my top 10 (if not top 5!) list of most enjoyable gaming experiences in my life.

there's a big community that favored Max speed settings (aka, non-snaking) over the years and the most polished times are in it. you can find them in sites like this one and there's plenty of people who like that style over snaking.
though if this game had online play, it would have been a real shame because it would have ended more unplayable than ssbb.

Why was Miyamoto not pleased with this game again? They mentioned in passing that Miyamoto was dissatisfied with GX during the latest Nintendo Voice Chat.

He only said that he wasn't satisfied with the recent (at the time), outsourced F-Zero games. I think it's pretty much a definite that he meant the GBA games, and no one really knows if he was actually disappointed with GX.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
He only said that he wasn't satisfied with the recent (at the time), outsourced F-Zero games. I think it's pretty much a definite that he meant the GBA games, and no one really knows if he was actually disappointed with GX.

It didn't sell. No way in hell could he be unhappy with the quality. One of the best games to ever have the Nintendo logo on it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Poppin' in to say: I LOVE THIS GAME. Probably my favorite on the Gamecube, and easily my favorite racer.

1-D_FTW

I'm pretty sure it's what he was talking about. I stumbled upon an old NPD thread and it had a GBA F-Zero that debuted at less than 2000 sold. Not only was the quality uninspired on those, the sales sucked.

Here's one just uploaded by ThunderWing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_znhBzKSgis

Still doesn't do the game's visuals justice even at 1080p, due to youtube notorious compression of vid files.

Haven't logged in in a while (I'm still mostly a lurker), so apologies for the late reply.

Thanks for the video! Speaking of YouTube, I should have mentioned that I was originally seeking something along the lines of a high-quality AVI file made available for download. YouTube's compression certainly can be bad, but the killer for me is the 30 fps limit it has.

chiablo

Having played the hell out of this game on the Gamecube, I wonder how anybody could get any excitement out of playing Wipeout HD. Wipeout has absolutely no sense of speed, F-Zero GX is so fast that if you blink, you will crash... it reminds me of the old Genesis vs. SNES commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bun8tA_ksZw

Cygnus X-1

Totally missed this thread. Fantastic game. The soundtrack was sure the thing that impressed me the most: it really was able to give you the feeling of speed.

I initially planned on not buying GX because I heard it was incredibly hard. However, way back in 2005, my brother, who was working for Best Buy at the time, found it for $20, and I picked it up. I seem to have made it further than most, having not only completed Story Mode, but beating Chapter 2 and 6 on Very Hard, unlocking Princia and Daigoroh. In the Grand Prix, I've completed the Ruby Masters, and come in 2nd in Sapphire, but never better. I use an original machine, the Frost Lancer-R, piloted by James McCloud, and decaled as #65.

I love the game so much I imported the soundtrack. Best pilot theme is Spade, and best track music is Planet Colors (Green Plant), though I also love Shotgun Kiss, Phoenix's Theme, and F-Zero GX/AX Arrange.

isamu

I am at a lost for words over how beautiful the meteor stage is running at 1080p. It's just....*sigh*.....heavenly.

isamu

Errr... wouldn't this fail when the AI does a random move differently from your run?

Nope. Because you are not participating or interfering with the game's action during the playback of the input file. You're simply watching the game being controlled by the other player and whatever the AI did during his playthrough it will be duplicated on YOUR copy of the game while running. It's wierd I know, but it's an awesome technology.

isamu

how in the hell did you get a Wheel working with F-Zero GX on Dolphin?

Greetings Cuban Legends how is your afternoon coming along? :)

I will answer your question is a bit. Gotta take care of a quick race in iRacing.

I absolutely love this game. It's a crime that it never took off like their other franchises and because of that they neglected it. I had all characters unlocked and was working on finishing up first place in the master difficulty races when my data got corrupted and I lost everything. I wanted to kill myself so to avoid that I stopped playing the game :(

By the way, how was master difficulty possible?! Was there parts to unlock in story that were super overpowered that I never got?

Dachande

This is the best F-Zero game, and one of the best racing games period. It just feels so fucking right, and the track design is great.

I like Wipeout (specifically 2097 and HD) and I understand the comparisons, but GX has something it doesn't IMO... But I like both.

In the seaside town my parents moved to after I went to uni, one of the two pier arcades left for the tourists had F-Zero AX with the moving cabinet. Think it's gone now though. And it was a shocking £2 a go.

It was worth it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, how was master difficulty possible?! Was there parts to unlock in story that were super overpowered that I never got?

Master the sideswipe attack and take out 3-5 cars marked RIVAL per race. Even if you come in 3rd every race you should have mixed up the points enough to finish the final race in last place.

fuck, reading stuff like this always makes me want to get this game... i never got into it back in the day and sold it... i would now have to buy it again, but i already know how this would end:

I'd get the game, try it out then get frustrated by the difficulty and shelve it :(

Mzo

Master the sideswipe attack and take out 3-5 cars marked RIVAL per race. Even if you come in 3rd every race you should have mixed up the points enough to finish the final race in last place.

This right here. I remember when I figured out that you didn't have to place first in all the races it blew my mind.

This right here. I remember when I figured out that you didn't have to place first in all the races it blew my mind.

Wow. I might actually go back and play it. My only gripe is how pixelated it gets on my flatscreen :( I would kill to have a new iteration, or a HD port.

fuck, reading stuff like this always makes me want to get this game... i never got into it back in the day and sold it... i would now have to buy it again, but i already know how this would end:

I'd get the game, try it out then get frustrated by the difficulty and shelve it :(

Get it. Train yourself to stop blinking, and then master the tracks. It's an amazing game. So worth it.

isamu

how in the hell did you get a Wheel working with F-Zero GX on Dolphin?

So, Cuban, before we begin, what kind of wheel are you using exactly? And are there pedals attached to it? If so, the first thing you wanna do is map the left analog stick the axis of your wheel by right clicking on the "Left stick" button.

My Logitech G27 is in storage so I'm on my XBOX 360 racing wheel (using the Microsoft Wireless Receiver for Windows), stock pedals.

isamu

My Logitech G27 is in storage so I'm on my XBOX 360 racing wheel (using the Microsoft Wireless Receiver for Windows), stock pedals.

I would suggest you remove it from storage since you won't have any luck utilizing that Xbox wheel, unfortunately.

I would suggest you remove it from storage since you won't have any luck utilizing that Xbox wheel, unfortunately.

We'll i guess I'm lucky then. I used my Wireless Receiver and It works! :D (Without Force-Feedback)

F-Zero X & GX Controls:
ijNhEDQEJEm0x.png
ieAUFwrBS4nfw.png

My Controls:
irFPH1BDLL426.png

F-Zero-X:
ibbbhUGQzgwugY.png

GX:
iYbrwg8xQHyx8.png
i8dXq4xaN8C8r.png

mangaroo

Banned
That fanmade 3DS trailer was awesome.

Comparing f-zero and wipeout speed is very difficult - arguably f-zero is faster but that doesn't make it more challenging/rewarding - more exact control/placement required in wipeout and under the faster speeds it is just as if not more challenging. Not mentioning zone mode either..

If I ever pick up a nintendo console again, f-zero is a title that would be bought without question, just as wipeout is.

Heh heh, what a great trailer. Hope the thirst is recognised.

Yeah, again, as much as they're both anti-gravity racers, comparing WipEout and F-Zero is like comparing...what, Daytona and a MotoGP game. F-Zero is unashamedly rip-roaring arcade, whereas WipEout has some distinct physics to abide by and learn.

Again, it must be hard for sole fans of F-Zero, because you're not getting iterations on your fix.

Top Bottom