• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Final Fantasy XIII

cj_iwakura

Pedo? Snow is 21, Serah is 18. I wouldn't call him a pedo. Sure he is annoying with his save the world motto, but I liked the character. Hell, I liked the game, but some of the difficulty spikes were annoying. And the weapon upgrade system is the worst thing about the game.

I liked Snow too, and the couple was a genuinely appealing one.

Of course, XIII-2 has to ruin that too.

Pedo? Snow is 21, Serah is 18. I wouldn't call him a pedo. Sure he is annoying with his save the world motto, but I liked the character. Hell, I liked the game, but some of the difficulty spikes were annoying. And the weapon upgrade system is the worst thing about the game.

How old is she in the Japanese version? She's clearly designed to look like a 14 or 15 year old "loli", right down to the plaid mini skirt she wears.

How old is she in the Japanese version? She's clearly designed to look like a 14 or 15 year old "loli", right down to the plaid mini skirt she wears.

I never got that impression. She dosent look very moe. I'm not sure what a mini skirt is supposed to imply. I just think they made her that way to contrast her sister.

And she's 18 in every version.

Riposte

In my book it is the best Final Fantasy (though arguably doing FFXI's Chains of Promathia campaign was a better experience in a overall worse game), and maybe one of the few times since I was in my early teens where a JRPG truly interested me (I had very unrefined taste then). It is still a pretty middling game, but I see a lot of potential with it (and also The Last Remnant). Unfortunately they took too many steps back with FFXIII-2, so maybe that potential will never be reached. I blame the Final Fantasy fandom, my eternal foe.

EDIT: Entering the Steppe was downright amazing. Probably one of the greatest spectacles of the generation. I liked how they reference a bit of Final Fantasy 7's ending in it too lol. Gran Pulse was a pretty interesting "post-apocalyptic" setting altogether.

EDIT: I didn't have a "team" I'd like to use. I basically picked whoever I didn't use for awhile and threw them in, assuming all the bases were covered.

RedSwirl

I just started this game back up in the middle of Chapter 11. This game is that it's basically a cut-down version of X. There's literally nothing to do other than fight enemies and watch cut scenes. X was just as linear but at least had towns and NPCs - the feeling of an actual world. The battle system in XIII is fine for what it is (despite a few noticeable flaws and being a massive step down from XII), but that alone can't really hold up an RPG with a story.

The characters are about half a step above your usual JRPG cast when it comes to depth and whatnot. They all start off as straight JRPG stereotypes and spend a part of the story learning to get over themselves, but that doesn't help the story's glacial pace. That's XIII's biggest problem - it takes 25 damn hours just to teach you the battle system and recap the setup for the story. Of course, this still isn't saying much compared to most other FF stories.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes... YES! Fuck Snow, that pedo! The new guy in FFXIII-2 is better by default because I can't imagine him being worse than Snow. Snow actually made me like Hope much more as a character, as I could relate to his hatred and disdain of Snow.
I love how Hope literally explodes to
send Snow off a cliff so he could stab Snow in the face.
That part made me smile.

I think that the majority of people's team near the end was Lightning/Hope/Fang.
I disliked using that party a lot because it made the game a joke. Plus I didn't like Lightning much so I took her out of my party ASAP.

I used Hope/Vanille/Fang throughout the main game and swapped Sazh in for Hope every now and then. The postgame is when I experimented with everyone to figure out proper tactics.

I’ve actually been meaning to try more of the post-game stuff.

As long as they aren’t as lazy with the missions as they were with those stupid Sahagins. Seriously, whose idea was it to make common monsters into a mission, and then copy/pasta the same mission two more times?
Thoraxes said:
Like it wasn't much Pulse vs. Cocoon as much as it was shit got fucked up, we need to start again, and unless everyone dies, it's not going to happen and regardless
Too bad Bart just turned out to be a generic evil nihilist jrpg stock villain.
Thoraxes said:
you are going to have the option of watching everyone die, or watching everyone die because this is going to happen either way
You do realize this was just Bartandelus bluffing right? If he truly had the means to take out Cocoon without the Pulse l’Cie he wouldn’t have waited 500 years.
Thoraxes said:
with all that in mind, the ending was fantastic and made sense.
None of that at all justifies the ending.
06nbarnhill said:
Only reason I liked Hope is because for most of the game he also hated Snow.
This. The little bastard almost offed him too.
cj_iwakura said:
By the by, my endgame party was Lightning/Hope/Fang.
Same. They fill every notable niche. If it wasn’t for hope being the best medic/Ravager, I would have opted for using Sazh instead.
Riposte said:
one of the few times since I was in my early teens where a JRPG truly interested me
Ever played an SMT game?
RedSwirl said:
They all start off as straight JRPG stereotypes
When do they stop?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

As long as they aren’t as lazy with the missions as they were with those stupid Sahagins. Seriously, whose idea was it to make common monsters into a mission, and then copy/pasta the same mission two more times?
With the exception of The Undying (which are, like, the best missions out of the bunch) and a few of the later missions, a lot of them are certainly copypasta or taking normal enemies and turning them into a mission.

Actually, I think a few of the Circle of Cie'th Stones missions were copypasta. Those ended up being boring.

Dark Schala said:
With the exception of The Undying (which are, like, the best missions out of the bunch) and a few of the later missions, a lot of them are certainly copypasta or taking normal enemies and turning them into a mission.

Actually, I think a few of the Circle of Cie'th Stones missions were copypasta. Those ended up being boring.
Well I guess that’s that then.

I decided to continue playing this. I'm in Chapter 11
on top of the tower near the boss fight. I need to upgrade my weapons and equip myself with new equipment in order to fight him since he kills me with one move.

Roto13

I didn't think Fang was that useful. A party of one Commando and two Ravagers that turn into three Ravagers is a lot more useful than two Commandos, one of whom can't be a ravager.

Vanille was really annoying, but her Ravager/Medic/Saboteur job set was pretty great. Snow/Hope/Vanille is the way to go.

I thought it was a good game, but way too linear for most of it (Gran Pulse was great, though) and the equipment level system was butt. I don't get the complaints about the story and characters. Vanille aside, they're better than the vast majority of JRPG characters, including a lot of Final Fantasy characters.

I didn't think Fang was that useful. A party of one Commando and two Ravagers that turn into three Ravagers is a lot more useful than two Commandos, one of whom can't be a ravager.

Vanille was really annoying, but her Ravager/Medic/Saboteur job set was pretty great. Snow/Hope/Vanille is the way to go.
I'm using Fang/Lightning/Hope, but Vanille was useful in some parts of the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well I guess that’s that then.
You know you want to fight this. (Mission 51 spoilers, but this is kind of out of context anyway)

Roto13 said:
She was usually my only COM and DEF, and her RAV, SAB and SYN jobs are ridiculously useful. I was kind of surprised that RAV wasn't one of her default jobs at the start since her -strikes are impressive (though it's likely because her spells are generally limited).

She was my backup SYN half the time. Sometimes she was my only SYN.

...of course, this was in late-postgame.

Thought I was going to use Fang a lot, because she looks very cool. Then I basically forgot she was even in the game.

My main party for all my playthroughs is Light, Vannile, and Hope.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The -ra spells Fang gets as a SYN are quite useful regardless. They don't last long, but they do the job efficiently since they increase the base damage/base def by 80%. Sufficient enough. Plus her cast speeds aren't bad. The only thing that gets me about her is her final COM animation where she hits multiple times for damage on the sixth/fifth ATB bar. I generally cancel that out because it takes too much time for that to work.

My 'toise group was always Fang/Vanille/Snow (prior to ultimate weapons) or Fang/Vanille/Lightning (late,late-postgame when I got everyone's ultimate weapons).

My Gui group was usually Sazh/Light/Fang or Light/Sazh/Fang with Fang doing most of the Synergist stuff in the first Optima set (in the latter optima set she defers to her regular jobs with the exception of RAV and MED). I used to use Fang/Vanille/Snow until I realized how awesome Sazh is for this type of thing since his cast speeds are so slow and they work well with the girls' quicker attack speeds.

I think I stopped using Hope after Mission 30. *ponders* Wait, I used him for Mission 50.

RpgN

There are mixed feelings with this game, it is looked rather harshly just because it's a FF game and had a long development time since it was officially announced. Although it also has its fair share of flaws and missing content that warrant some of the backlash.

When I went through the Japanese version, I enjoyed the early parts of the game so much and ended up being disappointed by the time the credits came. No towns, no quests, no mini-games. And the story that started so well, it got worse near the end. And so, everytime I tried to look back at the game, it was in a disappointing light.

Fastforward last month, I started another playthrough in time for FFXIII-2 and playing the English version this time (made it to chapter 9!). My expectations are tempered along with having a better perspective since it was released. Despite all the mentioned negatives, what the game does, it does well. The graphics simply looks gorgeous, it's still the best looking RPG this gen and it can easily stand next to the best ones from other genres as well. The soundtrack sounds solid and great throughout, I pretty much enjoyed every single one. The gameplay is incredibly fun and yet it feels refreshing from its different take on the battle system, where you're more like directing the flow as a manager instead of having full control of every party member. The game has created an interesting setting that is pretty fleshed out when you read all the datalogs. And this is more personal than all the other positives, but I always liked most of the characters and their developments. They had good interactions together and they felt like a solid group as a whole.

The game gets more hate than it deserves by now, as if it's a popular thing to do lately. The RPG haters, FF haters, and bro lovers come to forums to cut this game to pieces. It deserves backlash for some design choices and missing content, but not with how it was made out to be the worst RPG ever. It's a solid game worth playing and it is enjoyable and fun if you take it for what it is instead of what it should be.

RedSwirl

Really pretty game. Especially on PS3.

At the very least it has some of the best IQ for a console game this gen. I wish more PS3 games upscaled to 1080p as effectively as FFXIII does.

Also, when I first played the game I was glad to finally see a AAA Japanese game made for an HDTV. From the title screen to the status menu it still maintains the magnificent production values associated with Final Fantasy, now in pretty HD.

Thoraxes

Too bad Bart just turned out to be a generic evil nihilist jrpg stock villain.

You do realize this was just Bartandelus bluffing right? If he truly had the means to take out Cocoon without the Pulse l’Cie he wouldn’t have waited 500 years.

None of that at all justifies the ending.

This. The little bastard almost offed him too.

Same. They fill every notable niche. If it wasn’t for hope being the best medic/Ravager, I would have opted for using Sazh instead.

Ever played an SMT game?

When do they stop?

Either way,
he was intent on killing everyone as "sacrifice" (which was actually to goad them into killing Orphan, which I liked after that reveal).

For your second point, yeah, none of them are ever really good in any game.
For the waiting part though, I believe it was said in game that he never found l'cie strong enough to be able to kill Orphan. The reason he waited was because your band of characters were strong enough to do so compared to all those branded in the past. Sure it stretches it,
but it's a video game and there'd be no story if there was no reason for your party to exist, just like every other game.

I thought it did justify the ending because they actually did complete the specific focus that was given to them. They killed Orphan to crash Cocoon into Pulse, and they managed to successfully get into the situation that enabled Ragnarok to form in a complete form because it required two people thereby destroying Cocoon and saving Pulse. I would say it's an asspull normally, but the fact that their focus from Anima all along was to do the exact end events of the game was enough for me to justify the ending.

We both have different opinions though, so I guess we can be both right/wrong to each other. Anywho, discussion is fun.

I actually really enjoyed the first 10 chapters. Then when the game opened up in Chapter 11 and became a gigantic, overlong grindfest, I completely lost interest.

I've bought this game when it came out and stopped playing around Chapter 7. I remember I was disappointed with it for already universally known reasons. But recently I've decided to give it another shot due to one of my friend trying to beat it before XIII-2 comes out. I figured, why not doing it too ?

Well it turns out I am trying really hard to like it. The pretty graphics certainly helps. For some reason Chapter 7 takes forever to end. Same friend told me Chapter 11 is easily twice as long. I hate how you are restrained for (apparently) most of the game. All my time towards this game feels like a tutorial. I am not giving up though I just wish the game was more open. They seriously need to chill out with their corridor maps buzz.

I love this game so much, and it is the best looking game I own. Truly a standout technical marvel.

Playing through it again before FFXIII-2 is released, and I like it even better now, since I'm reading each of the data logs that come up as they happen. I didn't do that when I played through it 2 years ago, and I couldn't even give you a recap of the story when I was done. Not that I play RPGs for the story (dat battle systemz!), but I do understand everything so much better now. I just hope I have time to finish it before the end of the month!

Thoraxes said:
For your second point, yeah, none of them are ever really good in any game.
None of what? Villains? Nihilists?
Thoraxes said:
For the waiting part though, I believe it was said in game that he never found l'cie strong enough to be able to kill Orphan.
When is this ever stated? I’m pretty sure he only refers to Fang and Vanille as having failed to destroy Cocoon.

I’m also sure that if other Pulse l’Cie showed up on Cocoon in the past 500 years, someone would have mentioned it(it’s a major plotpoint that Cocoon hasn’t even interacted with Pulse in 500 years).

Also, how could Anima have even given other people the Ragnarok Focus if it was sealed away with Fang and Vanille for 500 years?
Thoraxes said:
The reason he waited was because your band of characters were strong enough to do so compared to all those branded in the past. Sure it stretches it, but it's a video game and there'd be no story if there was no reason for your party to exist, just like every other game.
I wasn’t really trying to point out any plotholes with that waiting comment. I was noting your comment “you are going to have the option of watching everyone die, or watching everyone die because this is going to happen either way” didn’t make any sense within the context of the info we’re given, because everyone dying wouldn’t have gone down if they hadn’t shown up.

Bartandelus lied about that to ensure the party would come after him no matter what.

At worst, parts of Eden would have been heavily damaged.
Thoraxes said:
I thought it did justify the ending because they actually did complete the specific focus that was given to them. They killed Orphan to crash Cocoon into Pulse, and they managed to successfully get into the situation that enabled Ragnarok to form in a complete form because it required two people thereby destroying Cocoon and saving Pulse. I would say it's an asspull normally, but the fact that their focus from Anima all along was to do the exact end events of the game was enough for me to justify the ending.
It doesn’t explain the blatant Deus Ex Machina they pull with Etro helping the party; which contradicts the game’s main theme. It isn’t fighting fate if fate gets bored and decides to meet you half-way.

Hell, the game never even really explains who Etro is nor any of the stuff related the invisible world, the door of souls, or chaos, which are all major elements of the story and tie in heavily to the events at the end.

Doesn’t even go into how so many people manage to survive the fall of Cocoon(it may not have hit the ground, but it fell fast and hard enough that suddenly getting stopped by Ragnarok should have devastated its insides) or how the hell everyone is no longer crystal.

scy

Fang is the best damage dealing character in the game due to Highwind, though her stupidly long Attack animation kind of hurts her. Fang/Lightning/Hope (or Vanille) is arguably the best group from a min/max perspective if I recall. Not ... that anything requires that kind of min/maxing. I just ran Fang/Lightning/Vanille basically once I was allowed my own group; the fact they were actually good was pretty much secondary to why I used them, lol.

Really wish they did something to just not allow you to go triple builds (i.e., Rav/Rav/Rav until stagger -> Com/Com/Com) or, at the very least, never opened up all jobs for everyone :/

no one seriously liked sazh (in terms of battle, not personality/story)? he was the only one with access to haste in the lower levels. he was also one of the few commanders+ravagers, which allowed for triple ravager to build up stagger, and then switch to triple commando to captalize on damage after stagger. in the late game, he has access to the highest rated strength weapon in the game (over 1k, where the next highest is half of that).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
no one seriously liked sazh (in terms of battle, not personality/story)? he was the only one with access to haste in the lower levels. he was also one of the few commanders+ravagers, which allowed for triple ravager to build up stagger, and then switch to triple commando to captalize on damage after stagger. in the late game, he has access to the highest rated strength weapon in the game (over 1k, where the next highest is half of that).
Sazh is the RIC King when he uses Cold Blood.

What's there not to like?

Fang is the best damage dealing character in the game due to Highwind, though her stupidly long Attack animation kind of hurts her. Fang/Lightning/Hope (or Vanille) is arguably the best group from a min/max perspective if I recall. Not ... that anything requires that kind of min/maxing. I just ran Fang/Lightning/Vanille basically once I was allowed my own group; the fact they were actually good was pretty much secondary to why I used them, lol.

Really wish they did something to just not allow you to go triple builds (i.e., Rav/Rav/Rav until stagger -> Com/Com/Com) or, at the very least, never opened up all jobs for everyone :/
Because it'd break the game early on, I guess. Things would be easier to kill.

The thing about Fang's Highwind I like is that it's a finisher that ends the Stagger Gauge. So it's good to time it prior to the Gauge running out.

...though I remember playing through the Japanese version not knowing that and wondering why what I built up in the Stagger Gauge disappeared every time I used it. And then I was like, "Ohhhhh! It's all Highwind's fault. LOL."

I'm starting to see light at the end of the grinding tunnel. I've all of Lightning, Fang and Vanille's weapons maxed out, Hope's got everything except his tier 3 is only lvl 82 and I've so far got half of Snow's weapons. Just Sazh's to go and then I've 8 more accessories to get, the last 3 mission to complete (51, 61 and 64) and a Gui party to work out.

Sazh is the RIC King when he uses Cold Blood.

What's there not to like?
i dunno, just no one seemed to mention him yet.

roto13 said:
fang was definitely good. she had good damage. sentinel and saboteur help select battles tremendously (i.e. tonberries). when the grid opens up, she gets the earliest access (iirc) to bravera/faithra which is not really necessary but pretty cool.

How long is this game on a normal run through ? I only made it 5 hours in when it first came out, I've been having the urge to play it lately. I think I'm just going to restart.

Sydle

Why not use one of the other dozen LTTP threads for this game?

Anywho, terrible game is god fucking awful. I'm hoping XIII-2 bombs and SE is forced to rethink their approach to the series.

cj_iwakura

How long is this game on a normal run through ? I only made it 5 hours in when it first came out, I've been having the urge to play it lately. I think I'm just going to restart.

Took me around 40 hours, give or take. Waaaay more if you side quest it up in Gran Pulse.

Anywho, terrible game is god fucking awful. I'm hoping XIII-2 bombs and SE is forced to rethink their approach to the series.

Why come into a thread just to be an idiot troll? Very mature.

Don't forget, Snow is one of the tallest FF characters. He's listed at 6 feet and 7 inches.
Serah is over a foot shorter than him so I can see why people would think she's "young".

Roto13

Yeah, I hope nobody buys the game that fixes XIII's major issues. That'll learn 'em.

Because none of them popped up while I personally was playing. Also, why you gotta troll?

apana

Damn it has been ages since I played a Final Fantasy game. I think 9 was my last major attempt to complete a Final Fantasy game but dabbled a bit in the subsequent entries to the series. My friends told me this game sucked but honestly I am not all that interested in a great RPG. I just want to try out the battle system and watch a little anime pop nonsense, this game could work well for me.

mudkyp

This entry is deeply flawed as many of the folks here pointed out. But the actual battle system , to me, was amazingly fun. After I beat the game, I just put it on mute and platinumed the game. Found it to be a really fun game to get all the achievements in.

Anteater

I actually really enjoyed the first 10 chapters. Then when the game opened up in Chapter 11 and became a gigantic, overlong grindfest, I completely lost interest.

Yea I can't say they were grindfest since I didn't really grind that much, but I actually enjoyed the game more before it opens up, I did beat around 20 hunts then I just went ahead and finish the game off (and skipping a lot of the fights), though to be fair that happened to me with the past couple of FFs where I kind of got bored of the battles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's my main party:

Fang/Lightning/Hope

Com/com/rav (default)
Com/rav/rav
Com/rav/med
Com/com/med
Sab/med/syn
Sen/med/med

This works out every time for me unless it's the long gui or the final mission.

It's pretty much what I use too. Not exactly like this, but as close as possible with the restriction I have in Chapter 7. It's doing wonders.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
LttP threads are the bane of my backlog: each time I enter one I end up replaying an old game. I guess now I'll replay XIII in anticipation of XIII-2 and this time I will try my best to understand the plot :(

Angry Fork

Vanille and Fang are the best characters, Fang is smoking hot and a fun character. I found Vanille to be cute/charming and had the most depth.

Sazh's back story holds the most weight emotion-wise but I found him to be very meh/boring overall. Serah should be burned alive as she's one of the worst 'characters' i've ever seen in any medium. I hate this character with all my strength.

Snow is fine, Lightning is fine, Hope is an idiot but he could've been worse, kid characters are usually insufferable but I found hope to be tolerable. I really liked the game overall but have no interest in the sequel because Serah is the main character and I just don't give a shit.

Pros
1. Visuals. Jaw dropping cutscenes in 1080p on PS3. I could never get enough of the visuals. I wish I still had the game as I want to replay it for this reason alone.
2. Battle system was fun.
3. Story was engaging to me and I wanted to see what happened even though it was convoluted and you had to read the datalogs a lot to know what was going on.

Cons
1. Ending was ruined by that fucking atrocious piece of shit Leona Lewis song. The Japanese version isn't that much better but it's still better. Both are way too pop'ish though. FFX had a perfect ending song. FF13's ending is supposed to be solemn and meaningful and instead they bring in some 'WE'LL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHERRR AND I LOOOOVE YOOOOOU' post-90s wannabe r&b type bullshit.
2. Moms are tough
3. No new game+ or allowing you to go back to older environments unless you had the foresight to create a save for each place.
4. No 'towns'. This was never a deal breaker for me but it would've been nice to have the PS1 final fantasy kind of towns with those visuals.
5. Villains sucked hard. The pope guy was alright but that other guy with the gray suit/hair or whatever. I have no clue what he was about and then he just kind of flip flopped at the end to the good side. I don't remember at all what happened there.

cj_iwakura

I'm right there with you on despising My Hands, but somehow, I thought it worked with the ending. It managed to strike a chord with me.

(By the way, according to comments on my post regarding FF13, defending this game makes me a hipstergamer! The more you know.)

5. Villains sucked hard. The pope guy was alright but that other guy with the gray suit/hair or whatever. I have no clue what he was about and then he just kind of flip flopped at the end to the good side. I don't remember at all what happened there.

Rosch? if I remember right, he knew coocon falcie is just using human, but he genuinely believe that following falcie is the way to protect human, but then in the end the falcie turn his army to cieth, and he decide to help lightning and co in the end.

what kinda bug me is that Lightning and co want to stop Bart, Bart want Lightning to stop him and orphan, the only reason why he keep getting in your way by placing monsters and cieth etc is so Lightning etc can level up and be strong enough to kill Bart.

scy

...though I remember playing through the Japanese version not knowing that and wondering why what I built up in the Stagger Gauge disappeared every time I used it. And then I was like, "Ohhhhh! It's all Highwind's fault. LOL."

Glad I'm not the only one who straight up went dumb on that. Highwind's high damage made it irrelevant a lot, though; half the time I used it ended up being the final attack of the fight anyway so I never realized until things started surviving.

Due to the way Sazh's attack works, as well as his long attack animations, his ATK is a bit misleading.

Top Bottom