• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucid Virtu MVP: What it is, and why you'll want it on your Intel/AMD motherboard

User results:

paradisiac:

the lucid virtu mvp has made some difference with encoding, not had chance to test with games, that's my job for tomorrow evening.

overall, I would say IF you have a Z68 then its probably not worth shelling out the £100+ on a board for the sake of it. if you are looking to do a new build, hang fire until gigabyte and other companies release theirs.

i5 2500k|ASRock Z77-EXTREME6|8GB Team Elite RAM|Thermalright Silver Arrow|GTX560 2GB|Coolmaster HAF 912 Plus|800w Modular PSU|LG BH10LS38 BD-RE|Logitech Z313|M6900|42" LCD TV|Windows 7 64bit HP.
ok, so my video encoding tests went bad, so will research a bit more and see what im doing wrong, but for now here are by game tests.

F1 2011 (Ultra 8XQ CSAA) :
Hyperformance On Virtual Vsync Off

Average FPS 68
Minimum FPS 57
Samples 7852

Hyperformance On Virtual Vsync On

Average FPS 55
Minimum FPS 49
Samples 6431

Hyperformance Off Virtual Vsync Off

Average FPS 62
Minimum FPS 56
Samples 7026

Hyperformance On Virtual Vsync Off (ingame vsync on)

Average FPS 68
Minimum FPS 56
Samples 7753

Hyperformance Off Virtual Vsync Off (ingame vsync on)

Average FPS 59
Minimum FPS 56
Samples 6758

Batman AA :

hyperformance off virtual vysnc off
min 72
max 153
avg 106

vsync on
min 57
max 60
avg 59

hyperformance on virtual vsync on
min 64
max 121
avg 91

hyperformance on virtual vsync off
min 67
max 146
avg 104

Dirt 2 :

hyperformance on virtual vsync off
Average FPS 122.9
Min FPS 109
Total Frames 11,343

hyperformance on virtual vsync on
Average FPS 133
Min FPS 108.6
Total Frames 12,081

hyperformance off virtual vsync off
Average FPS 106.2
Min FPS 82.2
Total Frames 10,080

hyperformance off virtual vsync off (ingame vsync on)
Average FPS 61.4
Min FPS 59.3
Total Frames 5,598
in conclusion for MVP and games :

F1 2011 really benefits me as I am forced to use vsync, and with the extra boot it gives with its virtual vsync I found the game a lot smoother and could have everything maxed out.
DiRt 2 also benefited loads by this feature, I found the game a lot more responsive and easier to play. plus from the benchmarks high FPS without screen tearing.
GTA IV was another game that I found ran a lot better with this feature.

will test some other games today, but so far, for the GTX560 atleast, there are gains to be had with MVP. unfortunately I don't have access to a more powerful card to see if there are the same sort of gains with those.

Fox the Sly

Wow... and I just ordered a Z68 board not know about this feature. Given that I'm still rocking an 8800GT (until I have the funds to upgrade my PSU and GPU) I need all the gaming performance help I can get, so the virtual vsync is a welcome feature!

Edit: Now I'm confused about which Lucid the Asus P8Z68-V Pro supports. Maybe I can't use Virtual-VSync? I don't know, I guess I'll find out after it arrives.

chiablo

It looks like you have to manually select what applications you want to run at high or low power mode. This makes it significantly less attractive. I would have thought that it would intelligently switch from high and low depending on the demand.

And what is with the really cheesy 3D robot/clown/lady? This is supposed to be a performance tuning application, not bad video card box art.

image_thumb%25255B10%25255D.png

Fox the Sly

It looks like you have to manually select what applications you want to run at high or low power mode. This makes it significantly less attractive. I would have thought that it would intelligently switch from high and low depending on the demand.

And what is with the really cheesy 3D robot/clown/lady? This is supposed to be a performance tuning application, not bad video card box art.

image_thumb%25255B10%25255D.png

I actually like it better. :p

1-D_FTW

Someone was using the MVP and virtual v-sync in the PC thread. He stated he was getting micro-stutter when using it. If this is true of all boards, I'll tag the extra lag from D3D Overrider over that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Someone was using the MVP and virtual v-sync in the PC thread. He stated he was getting micro-stutter when using it. If this is true of all boards, I'll tag the extra lag from D3D Overrider over that.
This was precisely the type of thing I was interested in checking on.

I was kind of hoping this would actually solve a lot of sync issues but it seems like it could result in the opposite.

Turrican3

I don't get it.

How can Virtual VSync enable displaying more distinct frames than the maximum vertical refresh frequency of a monitor? Or is it a different claim that I am misunderstanding?

This was precisely the type of thing I was interested in checking on.

I was kind of hoping this would actually solve a lot of sync issues but it seems like it could result in the opposite.

Lucid MVP has one goal and one goal only; to reduce input lag in games where your performance is above 60fps.

That's the only thing it currently achieves and unfortunately in many cases it will introduce stuttering. You must have a motherboard with an iGPU for this to work.

Anand explain it best:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5728/...ew-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-and-biostar/3

FPS scores are not a measure of displayed frames with Lucid MVP, they're a measure of "responsiveness."

So it isn't something I think you're going to like dark.

-----------------------

In more positive news have you tried the new "FLIPINTERVAL2" option in the new Forceware betas coupled with the latest release version of Nvidia Inspector?

Its best described as a "double vsync" as in it will synchronise precisely with your monitor but display each frame precisely twice. So its just like a 30fps cap in console games not like the artificial 30fps caps of the past that disregard the fact that a 60hz refresh rate isn't actually a precise integar which leads to stuttering.

Now, as its a vsynced game at 30fps, input lag isn't exactly super low (just like console games, really), so it doesn't work fantastically with a mouse (as expected) but I'm having great results in titles using a controller.

abasm

In more positive news have you tried the new "FLIPINTERVAL2" option in the new Forceware betas coupled with the latest release version of Nvidia Inspector?

Its best described as a "double vsync" as in it will synchronise precisely with your monitor but display each frame precisely twice. So its just like a 30fps cap in console games not like the artificial 30fps caps of the past that disregard the fact that a 60hz refresh rate isn't actually a precise integar which leads to stuttering.

Now, as its a vsynced game at 30fps, input lag isn't exactly super low (just like console games, really), so it doesn't work fantastically with a mouse (as expected) but I'm having great results in titles using a controller.

That sounds really cool!

But yeah, Lucid Virtu MVP isn't strictly a "performance booster"--rather, they're trying to implement V-sync without the lag by offloading some of the burden onto the integrated GPU. Unfortunately, it's still in development, and has to be supported on a game-by-game basis. I don't think it's feasible for widespread adoption, but might be a sign of things to come.

Virtu MVP impressions, and results:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/intel-z77_4.html
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=898&Itemid=69&limit=1&limitstart=15
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asus_maximus_v_gene_review,9.html

ASRock Virtu MVP - Lucid Virtu Switchable Graphics Demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJqh_yScGOM

virtu-mvp_applications.png

Full reviews:

Lucidlogix Virtu MVP in Practice
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/858-1/lucidlogix-virtu-mvp-pratique.html

1 - Introduction
2 - Performance, consumption
3 - Hyperformance, Virtual V-Sync
4 - Conclusion

Virtu Universal MVP Review
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Virtu-Universal-MVP-Review/1548

1 - Introduction
2 - How We Tested
3 - StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
4 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5 - DiRT3
6 - Battlefield 3
7 - Conclusions

Intel’s Z77 Express And Lucidlogix MVP: New Features For Gamers
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-virtu-mvp-benchmark,3174.html

01. Z77 Express: USB 3.0 And Enhanced Manageability
02. MVP Is Much More Than Virtu
03. Test Settings And Benchmarks
04. Benchmark Results: Z77 Versus Z68 In 3D Games
05. Benchmark Results: Z77 Versus Z68 In Applications
06. Power, Heat, And Efficiency
07. Overclocking
08. HyperFormance, Virtual Vsync, And 3DMark
09. HyperFormance And Virtual Vsync In Games
10. Z77 Is Only Half Of The Story

Lucid Virtu MVP (HyperFormance) Tested with ASRock Z77 and Intel Ivy Bridge
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4...h_asrock_z77_and_intel_ivy_bridge/index8.html

01. Introduction
02. ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard
03. Lucid Virtu MVP Quick Overview
04. Benchmarks - Test System Setup
05. Benchmarks - 3DMark 11
06. Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark
07. Benchmarks - Mafia II
08. Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2
09. Benchmarks - Metro 2033
10. Benchmarks - DiRT3
11. Final Thoughts

Top Bottom