• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macquarie Report on NX: "Coming next week" (Take with a grain of salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrobox

I wouldn't necessarily take any stock in that rumored price point at the moment. It seems to run counter to previous statements Nintendo has made about planned pricing for the system.

Hasn't Nintendo actually commented on how the Wii U turned out to be too expensive? And we don't need a statement on the 3DS, that price cut spoke for itself.

firelogic

$300-$350 seems pretty cheap. I mean if we're looking at hardware that's in the same ballpark as a PS4/XB1 that's been shrunken down to a handheld format. That price just tells me that it's going to be a good handheld but mediocre at home. Of course based on speculation.

Why are people still believing an obviously fake rumor?

$300-$350 seems pretty cheap. I mean if we're looking at hardware that's in the same ballpark as a PS4/XB1 that's been shrunken down to a handheld format. That price just tells me that it's going to be a good handheld but mediocre at home. Of course based on speculation.

The only Nintendo product that was in that ever that price ended up being the worst selling Nintendo console. It makes no logical sense to have that same price.

I don't care what the rumors say. I don't believe it is the quality of PS4, in a handheld until I see it first hand. I believe docked it could be. But handheld alone. I just don't think it is currently possible.

And imo anything over $300 is suicide even with western third party support.

Xiao Hu

They nailed the Wii marketing, so it's completely unjustified to say they are bad. Unless they outsourced it.

Remember the Wii U launch and the hideous ads with the dubstep/family friendly boogaloo? The way the quality of the work declined points to a change of the team responsible for the marketing.

Honestly, not really. Show stuff when you're ready to show stuff- don't waste our time with anything less.

It's simply the way I would have done it. I think building up hype prior to the reveil is a nice instrument to receive the biggest attention from the public.

fernoca

I do find a but funny that some think that the reveal of the NX will put an end to the NX speculation threads. :p

There might be less, but there will also be the usual threads with starting titles like:
-Now that the NX was revealed...
-Do any other PC only gamers...
-Do you think Nintendo...
-Do third parties...
-Am I the only one that thinks...
-Anyone disappointed with NX...

And that's outside the usual clairvoyance threads of "Is Nintendo making a new Metroid/F-Zero game"?

Things might get worse. When you also add a new Mario game that might be" real 3D" or "not real 3D", or just any other Nintendo sequel that is or looks diffefent than a previous one.

AdanVC

Ok this is going to be the very last time I will look forward to "next week" with NX and rumors. If nothing happens next week then I'm done waiting for this dumb device :'(

I do find a but funny that some think that the reveal of the NX will put an end to the NX speculation threads. :p

There might be less, but there will also be the usual threads with starting titles like:
-Do third parties...

And that's outside the usual clairvoyance threads of "Is Nintendo making a new Metroid/F-Zero game"?

Things might get worse. When you also add a new Mario game that might be" real 3D" or "not real 3D", or just any other Nintendo sequel that is or looks diffefent than a previous one.

Yes. It's the never ending cycle. All of them with the "Nintendo is doomed ™" approval seal :/

-Do third parties...

Don't forget the buyer's remorse thread the day after it launches...

The only Nintendo product that was in that ever that price ended up being the worst selling Nintendo console. It makes no logical sense to have that same price.
We can also say the worst selling Nintendo home console was the one that came with a screen so that won't happen again. There are many factors.

GamerJM

Banned
Ok this is going to be the very last time I will look forward to "next week" with NX and rumors. If nothing happens next week then I'm done waiting for this dumb device :'(

Yes. It's the never ending cycle. All of them with the "Nintendo is doomed ™" approval seal :/

But the week after is the investor's meeting!

We can also say the worst selling Nintendo home console was the one that came with a screen so that won't happen again. There are many factors.

Then you lack a very obvious understanding of both Wii U and 3DS's faults. A Nintendo product will not sell at $300 unless it has just as many games and features as the PS4. I mean the only reason why they got the 3DS to sell was because they slashed the price by $80 early on.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Then you lack a very obvious understanding of both Wii U and 3DS's faults. A Nintendo product will not sell at $300 unless it has just as many games and features as the PS4. I mean the only reason why they got the 3DS to sell was because they slashed the price by $80 early on.

The price drop didn't do much for 3DS sales. It wasn't until Mario 3D Land and Mario kart 7 released that sales really picked up.

Wii U and 3DS tried to sell at prices their wildly successful predecessors could've pulled off, but were simply much worse and couldn't demand it. $300 is not a special Nintendo barrier, and it's got to give some time since dollars just become worth less. Inflation adjusted, N64 and Wii launch prices would be about 300 today.

Wii U and 3DS tried to sell at prices their wildly successful predecessors could've pulled off, but were simply much worse and couldn't demand it. $300 is not a special Nintendo barrier, and it's got to give some time since dollars just become worth less. Inflation adjusted, N64 and Wii launch prices would be about 300 today.

Once again, I should reiterate that N64 and Wii were cheaper than their competition at launch. If the NX, a far weaker gaming tablet, launched at the same Price as the PS4, it would be suicide. Because the PS4 will not only have more games, but better looking games. You can't compete with the PS4's value.

It sounds right to me, but maybe my memory is fuzzy.

I mean I get that Gaf is mostly an enthusiast board with members that have enough disposable income to buy whatever they want at whatever price they want but to a lot of people, especially kids and teenagers, price makes a huge difference. I was in high school and didn't have a job at the time when I got my 3DS in late 2011 so not having to scrape together an extra $80 meant a sale from me and I'm not the only one in that regard. It's pretty obvious that massive price cut helped the 3DS significantly. 3D Land and Mario Kart helped but the price truly made the life or death difference.

MacTag

Banned
I don't care what the rumors say. I don't believe it is the quality of PS4, in a handheld until I see it first hand. I believe docked it could be. But handheld alone. I just don't think it is currently possible.

And imo anything over $300 is suicide even with western third party support.
If it's Pascal based as rumored we probably know what we're getting; somewhere between a Wii U and and an Xbox One. Which is a great for a handheld, it's basically like 2 generational leaps over 3DS.

It won't be over $299 either imo. Zero chance.

-Do third parties...

At least with those like those, we'll be discussing a product with actual, concrete information behind it. These pre-NX threads are tiring, because we're not actually talking about anything.

That's some revisionist history right there.

It isn't revisionist. The price cut came with a predictable short-lived spike in sales, but it wasn't until the holiday season of 2011 when both Mario games launched that the system actually gained its legs and began selling respectable numbers on a month-to-month basis.

NateDrake

It isn't revisionist. The price cut came with a predictable short-lived spike in sales, but it wasn't until the holiday season of 2011 when both Mario games launched that the system actually gained its legs and began selling respectable numbers on a month-to-month basis.

Pretty much. It was the triple combo (price reduction, Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7) that pushed the 3DS into respectable sales. All three played a role.

13ruce

Banned
The Mario game bundles pushed sales, got the 3DS when 3D land bundle was out. So the 3DS picked up sales after it started to be bundled with great new games. The price drop ofcourse helped a little bit, cheaper 3DS+good game ofcourse makes the decision easier.

Imo Nintendo should bundle Zelda: Breath of the Wild with NX. And another bundle with a Mario game if they have one ready.

maxcriden

Hasn't Nintendo actually commented on how the Wii U turned out to be too expensive? And we don't need a statement on the 3DS, that price cut spoke for itself.

I don't recall if they have, but the price cut for both systems and the confused messaging for the Wii U system, not to mention the included required GamePad cost is one that they decided was impossible to get rid of (or else surely the system would have been $250 rather than $300 after the price drop, in a GamePad-less SKU Aonuma probably would've been pleased with).

Perhaps the tech savvier among us can provide some insight, but my understanding from their previous posts indicated IIRC that the tech for portability of XB1-level components has gotten much cheaper in the past few years and the NVIDIA Shield for example which is the potentially closest comparison point is reasonably cheap. Also, I think the prevailing expectation for NX based on rumors is significantly more powerful than the Wii U and a bit less powerful in some respects than XB1, so moderately less powerful than PS4. In that sense, $300-350 may not be so cheap, and as Spyder_Monkey mentioned that price point has been a dangerous one for Nintendo in the past despite their claim that they don't compete directly with Sony and Microsoft (which is true in a sense and a fallacy in another sense).

The calm before the storm has been anything but calm it seems. We've come a long way since March 2015 and it's a strange feeling to know it's almost over.

AniHawk

Yes but can they call afford to be? The Wii U showed us the answer can be"no". I think you have to realise that Nintendo aren't in a a great position. People are leaving their systems and finding fun elsewhere. Sure the 3DS was reasonably healthy but even that market has shrunk for them. Home consoles, well, we all know where Nintendo sit there.

The only way it could ask for a high price is if it was truly truly unique and I'm not sure a handheld that can show no the TV is unique enough.

i think nintendo is in a far better position than where they were five years ago. five years ago, the basically ignored the 3ds until they had to rush two savior games to market at the expense of further focusing on the wii u (which was already a disaster getting worse in late 2011). their overall vision for the marketplace was scattered to say the least. it honestly felt like they though they could skate on by as long as they had the right gimmick for people to latch onto.

at least now there's focus. my nintendo and nintendo account are meant to combine nintendo's new ventures. mobile's had a clear and obvious effect on their hardware line with pokemon go (just as iwata had imagined it could), and nintendo's still making new franchises that resonate with millions of people, even if it's not on a mainstream platform. beyond that, they can still sell over ten million units of software on dedicated hardware to people, and have done so multiple times in the last four years.

they won't fix all of their problems. i think the nx, despite being a handheld that far outshines the vita, is going to be seen as 'weak' and 'underpowered' for what it is. they'll probably never get big western support either, and they might do anti-consumer things like introduce a paywall for online multiplayer.

still, i'm a lot more optimistic about their direction lately. with the wii u, the writing was on the wall back in 2011 and 2012 that the thing would do horribly (even if the dedicated hardware market hadn't declined sharply this gen). this period before the nx is a different and better nintendo.

sfried

That's just NeoGAF being NeoGAF. I mean, when there are Nintendo threads, they usually aren't very positive or usually overly critical of Nintendo in some form. Even OTs aren't immune to someone saying how they say "I would buy it but only if its on another system".

The press would have invites already if the reveal was happening this month right? I wonder if it's going to happen in November, maybe the January rumors are true.

Instro

I'm not sure where you people are getting this from, but 3DS was selling atrociously prior to the price drop. Post price drop average sales were significantly higher leading into the holiday season and release of big hit software.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Nintendo would have to be pretty dumb to reveal the entire future of their company with a Nintendo Direct, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it. If there's any time that you need glitz and glamour, it's now, a Japanese dude talking behind a white screen isn't going to cut it.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Nintendo would have to be pretty dumb to reveal the entire future of their company with a Nintendo Direct, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it. If there's any time that you need glitz and glamour, it's now, a Japanese dude talking behind a white screen isn't going to cut it.

The main event would be saved for January or February anyway, when launch details are announced.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

NX isnt the entire future of the company - its a mayor part and the chance of them screwing up the unveiling are slim.

cacildo

remember when Emily Rogers said the reveal was this month

remember when ya'll thought the reveal would be this year

unnamed4alux.gif

Anth0ny

NX isnt the entire future of the company - its a mayor part and the chance of them screwing up the unveiling are slim.

They screwed up the unveiling of the wii u and have proven to make the same mistakes over and over.

I hope they don't fuck it up, but I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if they do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom