• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macquarie Report on NX: "Coming next week" (Take with a grain of salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodin

I really don't think we need the NX to be the Nintendo Playstation. Do we need a 3rd console that does exactly the same?
I keep reading this all over the internet, but is there a particular reason why a Nintendo machine on par hw wise with the competition (hell, even with the exact same hw as one of the competitors) would end up being "the same console"? Can't they build their unique, exclusive games on a powerful console?

Not that i expect this to happen, or even give a shit about it (i don't even care that much about the NX itself at this point). I just don't understand this reasoning. Games and services are what makes a console different, not having less power. Having less doesn't make it more appealing.

That's not how the world works. Return on investment dictates ports, as does perceived demographics. Neither of which are favourable to those types of games on any Nintendo box in the last, well, decades.

This is and has been discussed at length here, but the bottom line is that Nintendo could put out a console that's more powerful than a Scorpio for 199 and you're still going to be missing the majority of those games you seek. Feel free to grab one of the other 3 platforms for those.

Yeah, this. You can convince yourselves all you like that hardware performance is the only thing standing between Nintendo consoles and getting every AAA multiplatform game, but it's simply not even close to true.

But it does. Third party support (and the type of support) have almost nothing to do with power

It does. The Wii needed to get complete different games of known franchises to work on it instead of getting straight ports. IF it would have been as powerful as PS3/360 we would have seen the same games with an added wii motion control option.

In the handheld business i agree that power isnt so important but its different when we talk about consoles. Nintendo thought like you and then the Wii U happend.

Edit: 10k tweets are completly BS imo.
And Nintendo needs more than power to gain the interest of the customers and developers but a powerful console would be a step in the right direction at least.

Malus

I keep reading this all over the internet, but is there a particular reason why a Nintendo machine on par hw wise with the competition (hell, even with the exact same hw as one of the competitors) would end up being "the same console"? Can't they build their unique, exclusive games on a powerful console?

Not that i expect or even give a shit about it. I just don't understand this reasoning. Games ans services are what makes a console different, not having less power. Having less doesn't make it more appealing.

Thay can still have their hardware gimmicks too if they're cheap like they were with Wii and DS, or they can just sell them as add-ons like the balance board. MS and Sony experiment with stuff like the eye-toy and Kinect etc.

Retrobox

Having competitive horsepower doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same.

Not that i expect this to happen, or even give a shit about it (i don't even care that much about the NX itself at this point). I just don't understand this reasoning. Games and services are what makes a console different, not having less power. Having less doesn't make it more appealing.

I'm sorry guys, that post didn't make much sense. I was still so convinced that the NX is gonna be primarily a handheld that "can compete with PS4 in power" didn't even cross my mind.

If the NX of course is a console first and foremost then I guess it should be PS4 power level.

A solid home console but with actual good games, and a heavy focus on the all important framerate?

Yes, yes we do.

That's mostly the Wii U already.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
From 10k's twitter

stranger-things-christmas-lights-fake.gif

Manoko

I'm sorry guys, that post didn't make much sense. I was still so convinced that the NX is gonna be primarily a handheld that "can compete with PS4 in power" didn't even cross my mind.

If the NX of course is a console first and foremost then I guess it should be PS4 power level.

That intellectual honesty.
Kudos to you, rare to see it on the internet, you're instantly a good person in my mind.

I think people are conflating price with value. The 3DS and wii U were overpriced but that's because they didn't over enough value to justify that price point. $300 isn't some magical number that makes a handheld or console become overpriced. If the PS4 launched at $300 would it have been overpriced? Are iPhones overpriced?

The point is that $300 is only expensive if you can't justify the price. I guess the argument is that Nintendo targets a younger audience which necessitates a lower price point. If anything though kids nowadays are being given phones or tablets which aren't cheap. I feel it's less an issue of price and more justifying why they need an NX on top of the smart devices they have already.

Look at the wii, it was expensive when you consider what the HW was capable of. It was also extremely underpowered compared to the HD twins. However Nintendo managed to show the value in the console so it sold like crazy anyway.

The wii U didn't fail because it cost so much. It failed because it was underpowered, poorly supported, was poorly marketed and differentiated from the wii and Nintendo weren't able to communicate what was so good about its defining feature (the game pad). The price obviously didn't help but even if it launched 100 dollars cheaper it still wouldn't have been a success.

Now whilst I agree that $300 sounds like a gamble and I think Nintendo should have aimed lower I think it all depends what they show. Maybe this think is a kick ass device with amazing software support and features that more than justify the price point. Until we know more about NX than just some random code name it's impossible to make that judgement.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
$300 isn't some magical number that makes a handheld or console become overpriced.

What Nintendo gaming device was successful at $300 or more?

It has to do with sales of the hardware

Wrong. It has to do with what people will buy NX and their buying habits.

Now, I know the theories. Suddenly a lot of PS4 and Xbone owners are going to abandon their natural habitat and friends to buy NX in huge numbers and buy all their 3rd party games just on NX. Because.

That's mostly the Wii U already.

Not really. The Wii U does indeed have some good games (although not exactly loads), but that's where the comparison ends.

-It's way under powered
-No 3rd party support whatsoever
-Gimmick controller that nobody cares for, and even Nintendo didn't make good use of
-Overpriced for what it offers compared to the competition
-Archaic online and account infrastructure
-Many more

There's loads Nintendo can improve on to make a compelling console for core gamers. Not that I believe these 'rumours'. I think a handheld type machine is most likely as that is the easier market to succeed in and with much less (no) competition. Not counting mobile obviously.

Retrobox

Not really. The Wii U does indeed have some good games (although not exactly loads), but that's where the comparison ends.

-It's way under powered
-No 3rd party support whatsoever
-Gimmick controller that nobody cares for, and even Nintendo didn't make good use of
-Overpriced for what it offers compared to the competition
-Archaic online and account infrastructure
-Many more

There's loads Nintendo can improve on to make a compelling console for core gamers. Not that I believe these 'rumours'. I think a handheld type machine is most likely as that is the easier market to succeed in and with much less (no) competition. Not counting mobile obviously.

Ouch. I just like my Wii U too much. You gotta give them the framerate part as well though. Nintendo first party titles are certainly no stranger to 60FPS.

Manoko

One thing I'm doubtful about on these rumours, is the Yooka-Laylee port, which has been denied by Playtonic themselves a few weeks ago.

But it's part of the least trustworthy part of that "leak", so maybe it doesn't discredit the red/green parts which are supposed to be from more trusted sources.

Hilarion

All I'm looking for is a handheld, and the rumors so far have all pointed to a device that can be used as a handheld primarily without having to deal with any of the headaches of console usage, so I'm thrilled with the NX.

I am so looking forward to finally being able to go handheld-only and not bothering with consoles or PCs.

120v

I think people are conflating price with value. The 3DS and wii U were overpriced but that's because they didn't over enough value to justify that price point. $300 isn't some magical number that makes a handheld or console become overpriced. If the PS4 launched at $300 would it have been overpriced? Are iPhones overpriced?

The point is that $300 is only expensive if you can't justify the price. I guess the argument is that Nintendo targets a younger audience which necessitates a lower price point. If anything though kids nowadays are being given phones or tablets which aren't cheap. I feel it's less an issue of price and more justifying why they need an NX on top of the smart devices they have already.

Look at the wii, it was expensive when you consider what the HW was capable of. It was also extremely underpowered compared to the HD twins. However Nintendo managed to show the value in the console so it sold like crazy anyway.

The wii U didn't fail because it cost so much. It failed because it was underpowered, poorly supported, was poorly marketed and differentiated from the wii and Nintendo weren't able to communicate what was so good about its defining feature (the game pad). The price obviously didn't help but even if it launched 100 dollars cheaper it still wouldn't have been a success.

Now whilst I agree that $300 sounds like a gamble and I think Nintendo should have aimed lower I think it all depends what they show. Maybe this think is a kick ass device with amazing software support and features that more than justify the price point. Until we know more about NX than just some random code name it's impossible to make that judgement.

pretty much my thoughts whenever the $300 price is floated and everybody bitches. it's not overpriced if perceived value is there

and this is modern hardware in 2017 we're talking about. that price range is pretty much given. about on par with any other "reasonably priced" launch adjusted for inflation

L Thammy

If I want to post NX fanfiction, would it gain credibility if I posted it on a Twitter?
What if it was erotic fanfiction?

Ouch. I just like my Wii U too much. You gotta give them the framerate part as well though. Nintendo first party titles are certainly no stranger to 60FPS.

Oh absolutely. Solid gameplay has always been Nintendo's focus, and they understand that framerate plays a big part in that.

Which is why a 1080p/60fps games machine across the board would be ace. Just look at all the people on here who wish that the Scorpio / Neo was following the same ideology, instead of trying to hit 4K.

If they could tout their new console as being 'the place to play 60fps games', that could serve them well.

But as I said, this rumour is most likely bollocks!

Cepheus

One thing I'm doubtful about on these rumours, is the Yooka-Laylee port, which has been denied by Playtonic themselves a few weeks ago.

But it's part of the least trustworthy part of that "leak", so maybe it doesn't discredit the red/green parts which are supposed to be from more trusted sources.

I wouldn't be surprised if a port happens eventually, though, just not at launch.

I'm not allowing myself to get too invested in NX rumours. It's too painful and I would rather just wait until an official announcement happens. Saying that, I still can't stay out of these threads...

If I want to post NX fanfiction, would it gain credibility if I posted it on a Twitter?
What if it was erotic fanfiction?

I'd say so.

ozfunghi

It doesn't work like that with tech.

Errr... sure it does. If you're going to argue the NES was launched in a completely different era with a different mindset and a different market, you can just stop any comparisons between generations all together. The NES had to overcome the stigma the collapsed market had left as well.

Other than that, someone who wanted to buy a NES in the 80's had to set apart a larger portion of his income in comparison to who ever wants to spend 300 on an NX.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder how much a Xbone adjusted with inflation cost these days. Should I buy a Wii with $300 today? Sounds reasonable, adjusted with inflation.

Lol.

What Nintendo gaming device was successful at $300 or more?.

We're talking $300 not more than that. The wii launched at $300 and did more than fine. Also what nintendo device was a hybrid that could be played at home or on the go and featured all their of nintendos software? Right now we still don't know what this thing is so how can you be sure that it won't justify the price point?

Also you basically ignored the rest of my post. The wii U failed for many more reasons beyond price. The GameCube is a prime example of this. A massive price cut which put it under $100 (which is insane) still didn't turn around the fortunes of that product. Attributing the entire failure of the wii U to price is pretty short sighted I think.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Errr... sure it does. If you're going to argue the NES was launched in a completely different era with a different mindset and a different market, you can just stop any comparisons between generations all together. The NES had to overcome the stigma the collapsed market had left as well.

Other than that, someone who wanted to buy a NES in the 80's had to set apart a larger portion of his income in comparison to who ever wants to spend 300 on an NX.

Tech prices don't increase to match the inflation usually from one gen to another. Or as they evolve. Because a lot of focus goes into efficiency increase in parallel with development. So for each new tech area created you start with higher prices in the first generations and either decreasing or flat prices as it evolves within the same type of tech.

We're talking $300 not more than that. The wii launched at $300 and did more than fine..

Wii launched at $250.

ozfunghi

Tech prices don't increase to match the inflation usually from one gen to another. Or as they evolve. Because a lot of focus goes into efficiency increase in parallel with development. So for each new tech area created you start with higher prices in the first generations and either decreasing or flat prices as it evolves within the same type of tech.

It's about how much it costs people (as in which percentage of their income) to buy the equivalent of newly released gaming hardware in any given generation. You think people back in the 80's thought: "this is costing me 1/4th of my paycheck, but that's ok, because it'll cost me much less in 30 years!"...? Your reasoning is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Given the fact that the entire gaming market had previously collapsed, the price of the NES was even more of a risk then, than it would be now.

10k said:
Kevin Polaris�� ‏@Tenkay23 57 min.57 minuten geleden

Why do people post my stuff on neogaf? You know that'll cause a shitstorm and get the thread closed.

Why don't you just ask him here, or send him a PM? Why would you ask on twitter why someone on Neogaf is doing something, when you just replied to the same topic on Neogaf? This is a gaming forum. People even mention Reddit BS. If you don't want your rumors to be repeated elsewhere, keep them to yourself.

Wii launched at $250.

The wii was selling at 300+ second hand

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's about how much it costs people (as in which percentage of their income) to buy the equivalent of newly released gaming hardware in any given generation. You think people back in the 80's thought: "this is costing me 1/4th of my paycheck, but that's ok, because it'll cost me much less in 30 years!"...? Your reasoning is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Given the fact that the entire gaming market had previously collapsed, the price of the NES was even more of a risk then, than it would be now.

People always pay a bigger part of their income for the first gens of a new entertainment device. How much the first video players costed? First gens of blu ray players? First 3d tvs? First 4k TVs? It's like somebody would launch a VR headset in 2025 at $1000. "Well, if you take the Vive price from 2016 and you'll adjust with inflation it means it's actually cheap".

This is what I mean with my point. You can't just adjust with inflation for the tech. Because you completely ignore the "early adoption tax" that tech has.

Yes, NES was a risk, undoubtedly, but it also reinvented the console market. Practically first gen of a new world, more or less.

The wii was selling at 300+ second hand

Lol. Maybe Nintendo should sell NX just on ebay then.

ozfunghi

People always pay a bigger part of their income for the first gens of a new entertainment device. How much the first video players costed? First gens of blu ray players? First 3d tvs? First 4k TVs? It's like somebody would launch a VR headset in 2025 at $1000. "Well, if you take the Vive price from 2016 and you'll adjust with inflation it means it's actually cheap".

This is what I mean with my point. You can't just adjust with inflation for the tech. Because you completely ignore the "early adoption tax" that tech has.

Yes, NES was a risk, undoubtedly, but it also reinvented the console market. Practically first gen of a new world, more or less.

The adaptation rate is also much lower early on, generally speaking. When you owned a €2500 PC in 1985 or a VCR or largescreen tv, chances were you'd be the only one in the street... yet everybody owned a NES. So that argument still doesn't hold much water in this case. And gaming hardware wasn't something new when the NES launched either.

Davey Cakes

*looks at latest rumors*
Man, you guys are getting desperate.
I'm watching it all and laughing.

Let them speculate.

We'll have SOMETHING by the time the investor briefing happens within two weeks. At this point that's all I'm looking out for. If Nintendo has any actual announcements planned for next week, great, but I'm not expecting it. I'm anticipating the point where they absolutely have to mention the NX at bear minimum, and nothing else.

Hearing Nintendo say the freakin' codename is better than ANY rumor. Their acknowledgement that the thing exists is all I need to get myself off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom