• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macquarie Report on NX: "Coming next week" (Take with a grain of salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm automatically attracted to beautiful consoles. I just start playing them. It's like a magnet. Just play. I don't even wait. And when you're a core gamer they let you do it. You can do anything ... Grab them by the Wiimote. You can do anything.
I'll admit, " Grab them by the Wiimote" is creative, lol.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It already exists. Its called the Nvidia Shield and it retails around 200USD

https://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet/k1
While it surely looks cool on paper, I would not put the TK1 clearly ahead of the wiiU.

Here's some benchmark score of the TK1
https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?D=NVIDIA+Tegra+GK20A+(ardbeg,+development+board)&testgroup=overall

And in comparison to AMD A4-5300, which has a 185GFLOPS TeraScale3 (VLIW4) GPU:
https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?be...VIDIA+Tegra+GK20A+(ardbeg,+development+board)

Notice how the TK1 is not faster. At all.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm conflicted. On one hand I hope we get finally news next week, on the other hand, launching NX at $300-$350 might be quite a misstep. The price doesn't bother me personally, but I don't think it can be very successful at that price.

I hope I don't end up buying another Nintendo device that fails and gets prematurely abandoned.

AmyS

350? This thing will fall on it's arse

Would be better to make it $400 and have PS4+ level gaming performance, this adding value, than to be $350 for somewhat below or significantly below Xbone level gaming performance.
Talking about console or console mode (not knowing what NX really is).

A console that's only 2 to 3 times more powerful than Wii U, sold for $350, be it a hybrid or not, will indeed going to fall on its arse.

I'm fed up with waiting, not because of hype either. I just think it's a very late reveal at this point (relative to when it's supposedly launching), and the complete silence from them on the subject is both stupid and silly. Nintendo needs to show the damn console/handheld already or at least provide some solid details.

Why? Plenty of time until March release.

I guess the price depends on what the NX is.

It seems the device is a essentially like a phone or the equivalent to an iPod touch with more grunt and controllers. So the appearance of what the machine is may just change what Nintendo is "allowed" to charge for it. If that makes sense. If consumers view it like a smartphone/note device then... yeah a hefty price tag might be doable.

I would imagine that similar things - retail between £200-300. £500-700 If you are counting Iphones/Galaxies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'll believe it when I see it. This rumour doesn't seem any more credible than any number of other ones, but I'd love to be wrong.

Can't speak to this one, but some recent rumors have been true for sure (the obvious ones anyway)

atr0cious

The NX is going to be a portable that plays AAA games. Sure it may be the same price as a ps4. But i'm betting a portable that can play FFXV would do insanely well in japan. Even if the PS4 pro is more powerful

The portability gives the console a (good) point of difference that can be sold to consumers.
I think you're looking at the nx backward. Ubisoft has strongly suggested a wii like strategy saying the NX is aimed at families. That doesn't say it's gonna be 300. The Wii u just died at 300-350 with literally the best games on the market, especially from a family perspective, for a solid 3 years. No one is gonna splash another 300 for an xbone with out the network/friendlist/Community/credits they have on their current system that puts out the same without some gimmick they apparently won't want. Not with the pro and eventually the Scorpio on the market.

Which is why its a hybrid. People in the west will be able to plug it into a mains power supply and a TV and leave it like that if they want. Nintendo needs 3rd party support to reclaim ground in the west. That will happen when the active user base is high enough to justify the cost of porting games.

Nintendos best way to ensure a high userbase is by focusing on their core consumerbase which includes the Japanese market where they still have substantial mind share.
Yes, which is why the nx will most likely be a positioned as a handheld first, with the ability to output to a tv. NX is a platform, so they can always make a more powerful home version later. But they gain nothing by positioning it as a console with a portability feature, underpowered and again late to the game. Because while the pspro and Scorpio are fast approaching as a "new" generation they're still extensions of their ecosystem, so a future buyer can upgrade and not miss a beat. The nx is virtually a blank slate, which is another reason the price needs to be low, so it's cheap enough to be their second system and not feel bad for it collecting dust.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This insider thing is really easy. Just repeat it's coming next month every month tell they announce it then... Congratulations, you're an insider now.

13ruce

Banned
You mean Nintendo is in fact planning to release Mario, Zelda and Pokemon on it!?

That's the main obvious rumour.

Third Pokemon Moon/Soon version with hd resolution and new textures features etc.

I'm in. That wil be glorious playing it on a big screen, hopefully the hybrid rumor is real. If done nice then having all games on 1 platform is very nice, maybe even release a console only or handheld only SKU down the road with both being able to play all games ofcourse.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
LMAO this is so ridiculous

If the Wii was priced at $300 it still would've been sold out everywhere. It's absurd to think that just never because Nintendo's name is on the box that it can't have a value of $300.

It is stupid and absurd, but then sometimes people perception is just that. People have yet to accept that on average the price to get the value they expect from AAA games, their real projected revenue, is way higher than $60 between all the DLC's and things like season passes, etc... and that indie games can be priced above $40 and even $50, but the general consensus is that such a thing is heresy.

Chao

This insider thing is really easy. Just repeat it's coming next month every month tell they announce it then... Congratulations, you're an insider now.

I can confirm that NX will be revealed sometime between now and the release date, my uncle at Nintendo told me.

Please follow me on instagram, fb, Twitter and YouTube k

ggx2ac

I'm just going to have to assume the obvious rumours are the ones from media outlets Eurogamer, IGN, Kotaku, WSJ, MCV etc and not leakers from Reddit and Twitter but I know what shit that will stir saying that. lol

Edit: Which is in reference to this.

Can't speak to this one, but some recent rumors have been true for sure (the obvious ones anyway)

A delay has got to be happening at this point. They can't be mad enough to leave this thing with such a short window to promote, especially since about half of the time they have left is loaded with a lot of big releases and holiday season hype, which will probably smother any announcement they make.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The NX is going to be a portable that plays AAA games. Sure it may be the same price as a ps4. But i'm betting a portable that can play FFXV would do insanely well in japan. Even if the PS4 pro is more powerful

The portability gives the console a (good) point of difference that can be sold to consumers.

You realize that this was the exact reasoning behind the PS Vita, right? A handheld that plays full, no-compromise console games like Killzone, Uncharted etcetera.

Turns out, people really aren't all that interested in playing toned-down traditional console titles on a portable.

antonz

You realize that this was the exact reasoning behind the PS Vita, right? A handheld that plays full, no-compromise console games like Killzone, Uncharted etcetera.

Turns out, people really aren't all that interested in playing toned-down traditional console titles on a portable.

Turns out Vita had 0 real support from its maker which left it to get rub here to masturbate virtual girl games and other basically Japanese only support. Vita should have never existed if Sony gave so little shit about it

Really?

Then how do you explain the sales of Nintendo's core first party games on 3DS?

Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros, Zelda: OoT, MM, ALBW etc are every bit of a core experience as what Nintendo would produce on a home console. All of them sold very very well.

Breath of the Wild will sell huge on NX.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Really?

Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Zelda: OoT, MM, ALBW etc are every bit of a core experience as what Nintendo would produce on a home console. All of them sold very very well.

?

Their last console sold like dog shit, they need to hit this one out of the park if they want to stay in the business of selling hardware. With that in mind, they will need to make a big deal out of the NX from a marketing standpoint, that starts with its reveal. If the rumour about Nintendo announcing the console next week is true, then I imagine they would have to send invites/announce a press conference today ahead of next weeks reveal.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Turns out Vita had 0 real support from its maker which left it to get rub here to masturbate virtual girl games and other basically Japanese only support. Vita should have never existed if Sony gave so little shit about it

The Vita got plenty of big franchise games initially, but they simply didn't gain any traction with the handheld playerbase. The support from Sony dried up because it didn't make them any money.

I'm very sceptical to the idea that suddenly third-parties will all start caring about Nintendo again. Especially when it means that they have to crank out expensive handheld ports of their PS4/PC/X1 games. It's a huge gamble and I don't think it'll happen unless the NX magically has a huge install base from day one.

I'm sure Nintendo will support it with some excellent titles. But third parties will likely take a wait and see approach.

Really?

Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Zelda: OoT, MM, ALBW etc are every bit of a core experience as what Nintendo would produce on a home console. All of them sold very very well.

I'm not talking just about Nintendo. The poster I originally replied to mentioned FFXV on NX.
That's likely not going to happen. We've seen the exact same speculation before the Vita was released, where lots of people expected it would get ports of all the big AAA games and how great that would be.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Another day another rumored NX reveal date lol.
Instead of having 2-3 nx rumor threads every day wouldn't be better to have a single thread with all the rumors?

Another day another rumored NX reveal date lol.
Instead of having 2-3 nx rumor threads every day wouldn't be better to have a single thread with all the rumors?

New news = new thread is GAF policy so info doesn't get lost like they would if we only had megathreads.

KAL2006

Banned

While true save for Killzone majority of Vita games are terrible spin offs from the home console games such as Uncharted Golden Abyss.

Also a lot of the Vita games are not really that popular to begin with both in the west and east. If say Mario Galaxy and Pokemon came out on NX they would be successful. The choice of playing on handheld or on the TV is a bonus as long as when played on TV the graphics are not worse than Wii U.

Lutherian

I don't thank Nintendo for the shitstorm happening with people who just share their opinion and the rabid assholes who take it too seriously.

deleted

Nobody wanted to buy toned done versions of their console versions at home full price and the Support from neither 1st nore 3rd partys was there in full force.

Hard to say what the market will say when they don't have to buy 2 versions for at home and portable. Could be that they'd be reacting really favorably for playing fully featured Zelda and Mario versions on the train and then continue that same save at home.

I know I'd be stoked to play the new Doom on a train or Pokemon at home on TV.
Anecdotical, so who knows what'll come of it in the end.

I'd be stoked for a reveal next week either way!

RocknRola

God damnit. When is Nintendo actually gonna say anything, literally anything at all, about this? It feels like forever ago since they first mentioned the NX and have been constantly silent on it.

Their last console sold like dog shit, they need to hit this one out of the park if they want to stay in the business of selling hardware. With that in mind, they will need to make a big deal out of the NX from a marketing standpoint, that starts with its reveal. If the rumour about Nintendo announcing the console next week is true, then I imagine they would have to send invites/announce a press conference today ahead of next weeks reveal.

Dude, Nintendo is still dominating the dedicated Handheld market, so if we are talking about a damn hybrid at a reasonable price it should atleast be a succesful handheld, if they achieve to perfect the hybrid idea and implement a dock (maybe even with some horsepowerboost) it will sell. Probably not Wii-level but it should atleast get above 3DS in its lifetime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom