• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macquarie Report on NX: "Coming next week" (Take with a grain of salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waking up seeing an NX thread....is it last week again?

I will be at the symphony of the goddesses master quest concert on Saturday hopefully it will be revealed there :)

Speely

Banned
Guys, let's just play games until the NX is announced/revealed. There are so many good ones out there right now. It's a win/win. Get a game or two out of the way now so that you are ready for the launch :)

seady

Nintendo wants to release the NX within days of announcement. I think it is more effective and this practice has been used for all other electronic devices. Never understand why the game console manufacturers need to announce the machine a year before launch. You can still get developers develop for the system without announcing the final hardware to the public.

AniHawk

I mean Sony did just that and what an unmitigated disaster that turned out to be.

the ps3 didn't turn out to be a disaster because it was priced higher than its predecessor - it was a disaster because it was a shitty trojan horse for bluray and made the platform $200 more expensive than it needed to be.

if there's value in the nx being a console-on-the-go or a handheld-with-a-tv-out, then $300 should be fine as long as there's software to back it up.

Anth0ny

the ps3 didn't turn out to be a disaster because it was priced higher than its predecessor - it was a disaster because it was a shitty trojan horse for bluray and made the platform $200 more expensive than it needed to be.

if there's value in the nx being a console-on-the-go or a handheld-with-a-tv-out, then $300 should be fine as long as there's software to back it up.

i don't think there are many people out there who want to pay $300 for a thing that plays nintendo games, whether it's a handheld, console or both in one.

I can't see this going above $250.

I was talking about Sony launching the PS4 at a lower price than the PS3. Sony wouldn't market their eighth gen console at a lower price than their seventh gen.

BTW There is no value in any Nintendo product at 300.

ggx2ac

This feels like a reverse of what I was saying to someone else that the 3DS needed software to justify its $250 launch price and when it didn't, it's price got cut pretty quickly.

I just think NX needs to be between $229 to $250 aside from having good software because it's coming off the Wii U and 3DS and not the Wii and DS... Although the Wii was $50 more than GameCube at launch.

Still, if there's something to justify a $300 price tag other than software, I'm fine with it. It's just that if this is replacing both handheld and home console, and it is something where there will be more than one NX in each household, then it needs to be "cheaper" to sell more in each household.

takriel

i don't think there are many people out there who want to pay $300 for a thing that plays nintendo games, whether it's a handheld, console or both in one.

if the higher price is due to better hardware I'm all for it. But if it's due to another gimmick, Nintendo will have a problem again.

10 million is tiny. The Dreamcast sold 10 million and it killed Sega as a console maker. They sure as hell aren't going to get more than 10 million by overpricing the hardware again. You're acting like Nintendo can just press a "make Console sell" button that they forgot to press the last time. They can't get 3rd parties and 10 million+ without some sort of competitive advantage.

Exactly. People forget that Nintendo was NOT happy about the GameCube's numbers and the GameCube did around 20 mill. I recall Iwata saying they had to do better than GameCube or they have no business being in this industry anymore.

10 million is absolutely unacceptable. Especially coming off the back of the sales monster that the Wii was. The success of the Wii only makes that Wii U number look even more pathetic to investors. And like it or not, Nintendo is a publicly traded company, so they have a responsibility to keep investors happy.

Anth0ny

if the higher price is due to better hardware I'm all for it. But if it's due to another gimmick, Nintendo will have a problem again.

I figure the "gimmick" this time around is the hybrid aspect, meaning they have to cram something stronger than wii u but weaker than xbox one into a handheld form factor.

though apparently with today's mobile tech that's not so expensive/large/hot, at least that's what gaf tells me. will probably kill battery like a mother fucker, though.

$250 is what I'm hoping for but I guess I could live with $300 if we get a really damn good launch bundle. Throw Zelda and let's say, a Smash port in there for $300, maybe some other incentives (I dunno, some eShop credit, mynintendo coins, another digital deluxe program?) and I'd be totally down with that. That's my dream scenario.

Matbtz

Nintendo wants to release the NX within days of announcement. I think it is more effective and this practice has been used for all other electronic devices. Never understand why the game console manufacturers need to announce the machine a year before launch. You can still get developers develop for the system without announcing the final hardware to the public.

Because Nintendo is not Apple, which are going to sell iPhone like gangbusters no matter what. The wii U sold 13m in his entire lifespan. You need the marketing to build the hype and demonstrate why this machine is different compared to the existing ones. Tell the consumer why he has to drop his ps4/x1 with a solid install base and lot of released games, for a new nintendo console.

This is a pretty delicate situation to release a console now, they can't get away with a release one week after reveal.

AniHawk

i used to think people wouldn't pay $400 for a video game console either but then the 360 and ps3 proved me wrong. and the ps4 proved me super wrong.

people will pay for the thing they see value in. you probably wouldn't have thought that the gamecube with a peripheral would be worth $250 in 2006 for a lot of people, but it became one of the best-selling consoles ever due to the right software.

i'm just trying to imagine a handheld that's more powerful than a wii u with a thing that hooks up to a television being cheaper than $300 and i really can't see it.

AniHawk

$250 is what I'm hoping for but I guess I could live with $300 if we get a really damn good launch bundle. Throw Zelda and let's say, a Smash port in there for $300, maybe some other incentives (I dunno, some eShop credit, mynintendo coins, another digital deluxe program?) and I'd be totally down with that. That's my dream scenario.

nintendo won't devalue their franchises by tossing them in with eshop credit and other shit like that. if they do anything it'll probably be the new software that's supposed to highlight the benefits of the system, and it will probably be a minigame compilation like wii sports or nintendoland.

I don't care about the price of NX.

I care about the software and the vision.

Wii was genius.

Wii U was the Donald Trump of consoles.

Take us somewhere else Nintendo.

jdstorm

Banned
I figure the "gimmick" this time around is the hybrid aspect, meaning they have to cram something stronger than wii u but weaker than xbox one into a handheld form factor.

though apparently with today's mobile tech that's not so expensive/large/hot, at least that's what gaf tells me. will probably kill battery like a mother fucker, though.

Keep in mind that the NX is poised to be the first itterative console. So if the NX2 is poised to release 2018 or 2019 nintedo can price the NX1 slightly higher knowing that more budget concious consumers will adopt it then after a price drop. While people who upgrade to the NX2 will still remain part of the same userbase. So Nintendo are likely aiming for 20-30 million purchases over the firsy 2 years.

Given that the WiiU Sold 12+ Million essentially DOA, and that the NX will be tapping into the japanese portable market. Those expectations seem reasonable. At 300 assuming the NX is frontloaded with continious software support.

This is all but assured.

Additionally software that was successful on the WiiU (Smash, Mario Maker, Splatoon ect) are potential cheap and easy ports Nintendo can include in launch bundles that will essentially be new games to everyone who never owned a wii u (So everyone)

So initially pricing high, milking your core market/the wealthy to hit the tech required for unreal 4 and Frostbyte ports. Then letting the market catch up as you itterate is incredibly smart.

Edit:
i'm just trying to imagine a handheld that's more powerful than a wii u with a thing that hooks up to a television being cheaper than $300 and i really can't see it.

It already exists. Its called the Nvidia Shield and it retails around 200USD

https://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet/k1

Anth0ny

i used to think people wouldn't pay $400 for a video game console either but then the 360 and ps3 proved me wrong. and the ps4 proved me super wrong.

people will pay for the thing they see value in. you probably wouldn't have thought that the gamecube with a peripheral would be worth $250 in 2006 for a lot of people, but it became one of the best-selling consoles ever due to the right software.

this holiday, xbox one is $299 with a game

to me, this thing can't be the same price as xbox one. people won't see value in a nintendo box when a "real" video game box is right there for the same price. it has minecraft, gta, battlefield, cod, fifa... nintendo doesn't.

i feel like the general public will, and nintendo SHOULD, treat this thing more like a 3ds successor than a wii u successor. and price it accordingly.

I don't care about the price of NX.

I care about the software and the vision.

Wii was genius.

Wii U was the Donald Trump of consoles.

Take us somewhere else Nintendo.
I'm automatically attracted to beautiful consoles. I just start playing them. It's like a magnet. Just play. I don't even wait. And when you're a core gamer they let you do it. You can do anything ... Grab them by the Wiimote. You can do anything.

atr0cious

Can someone explain the 300-350 line? Are they saying it's not going to be in that range or it is? Personally doubt it'll be above 250, as the 3ds and Wii U were hurt by launch price. Not to mention the pspro is coming out, pushing used ps4s well below that price and I see a repeat of the Wii U happening. And there's no way the main gimic(hybrid dock) is going to be in a separate bundle for a higher price.

nintendo won't devalue their franchises by tossing them in with eshop credit and other shit like that. if they do anything it'll probably be the new software that's supposed to highlight the benefits of the system, and it will probably be a minigame compilation like wii sports or nintendoland.

True, I guess so. Maybe even something like Mario Maker DX (or whatever they go with there).

I remember when I got a wii, it was at Zellers and they threw in 2000 wii points and I think a classic controller so I'm probably calling back to that in my head as something I liked. That was probably a store thing though. I don't think it was a nintendo initiative. They've never done anything like that themselves, have they.

I'll believe it when I see it. This rumour doesn't seem any more credible than any number of other ones, but I'd love to be wrong.

jdstorm

Banned
Can someone explain the 300-350 line? Are they saying it's not going to be in that range or it is? Personally doubt it'll be above 250, as the 3ds and Wii U were hurt by launch price. Not to mention the pspro is coming out, pushing used ps4s well below that price and I see a repeat of the Wii U happening. And there's no way the main gimic(hybrid dock) is going to be in a separate bundle for a higher price.

The NX is going to be a portable that plays AAA games. Sure it may be the same price as a ps4. But i'm betting a portable that can play FFXV would do insanely well in japan. Even if the PS4 pro is more powerful

The portability gives the console a (good) point of difference that can be sold to consumers.

Toparaman

Banned
I was talking about Sony launching the PS4 at a lower price than the PS3. Sony wouldn't market their eighth gen console at a lower price than their seventh gen.

"No value", LOL. You might as well say "please don't take my opinions seriously".

Branduil

This strategy worked out well when Sega tried it.

Maxinas

The NX is going to be a portable that plays AAA games. Sure it may be the same price as a ps4. But i'm betting a portable that can play FFXV would do insanely well in japan. Even if the PS4 pro is more powerful

The portability gives the console a (good) point of difference that can be sold to consumers.

Sure, but it's in the US and European markets were nintendo needs to regain ground again, and handhelds aren't as popular in the west as they are in japan.

daxgame

If we want to trust someone who says "The company's move into mobile gaming, Super Mario Run, has a missed opportunity as well, Macquarie says: Being only iOS and ex-China, it's missing 60% of the market."
while it's already confirmed that no, it will later come to Android too....maybe they ll be lucky tho since the earnings meeting is coming up

with rumors heating up, Miyamoto spotted filming stuff in Orlando, now this....I think this may be the real deal. I'm officially moving into my Happening bunker folks. See you guys next week

This strategy worked out well when Sega tried it.

But that was 20 years ago. I dont say they should do it but in this day and age it can work far better than with the Sega Saturn.

But I want a big reveal this fall. All the games, the cobsole itself and its new feature. People mist get excited before christmas so they don't spend their money on other consoles.

jdstorm

Banned
Sure, but it's in the US and European markets were nintendo needs to regain ground again, and handhelds aren't as popular in the west as they are in japan.

Which is why its a hybrid. People in the west will be able to plug it into a mains power supply and a TV and leave it like that if they want. Nintendo needs 3rd party support to reclaim ground in the west. That will happen when the active user base is high enough to justify the cost of porting games.

Nintendos best way to ensure a high userbase is by focusing on their core consumerbase which includes the Japanese market where they still have substantial mind share.

AzaK

Which is why its a hybrid. People in the west will be able to plug it into a mains power supply and a TV and leave it like that if they want. Nintendo needs 3rd party support to reclaim ground in the west. That will happen when the active user base is high enough to justify the cost of porting games.

Nintendos best way to ensure a high userbase is by focusing on their core consumerbase which includes the Japanese market where they still have substantial mind share.

The only part of the west they need to reclaim is the core as they already have the casual Just Dance, Disney Infinity etc crowd. A handheld that can display on a TV isn't going to get those people back.

EVH

They also need an easy platform to port to, which Wii U was a piece of crap according to that Eurogamer article.

Did somebody ask Emily Rogers what she thinks/knows about this?

jdstorm

Banned
The only part of the west they need to reclaim is the core as they already have the casual Just Dance, Disney Infinity etc crowd. A handheld that can display on a TV isn't going to get those people back.

So what will bring those consumers back?

I am in the thinking that maybe nothing till shareholders meeting and I also think surprises will be my nintendo awards system it will not just be in mobile then.

I also think that there is true innovation in either ar or vr element. Nintendo will offer huge incentive to wii u owners who early adopt!

LMAO this is so ridiculous

If the Wii was priced at $300 it still would've been sold out everywhere. It's absurd to think that just never because Nintendo's name is on the box that it can't have a value of $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom