• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Orayn

Do you have official dimensions of the Alpha? Or a pic with it and the SE together?

This was posted on the Mad Catz twitter recently.

ba60bc5143.jpg

Layout-wise, looks like it's basically the same apart from the two buttons on the far right. Just less space around it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm with you, and I know I've just had some pretty strong things to say about the Alpha, but I can definitely see where you have come from in designing it. I'd just say it would be cool for the SE to be revisited in a similar way to how you've brought back the TES.

It must be difficult for yourselves though, off the top of my head you've brought five different chassis (plus variants) that are all pretty different to market and that is no small feat, not by a longshot.

Oh and bring back the VS.

The original TE too.

Could you also do something the size of a VLX, but bigger?

I'm joking, half joking.

The original TE lives on in form of the TE-S+! You can add the normal sides on if you'd like/have them.

I want to bring the VS back. We'll see what happens. :)

Syriel

Doubt this is much help but I did come across 1 picture of the inside of the new TE2+ awhile back.

Open and closed:

CaP4PnKUAAA7FNV.jpg

CaP4fghVIAAKl7y.jpg

https://twitter.com/worthplaying/status/694671714773368833

Oh and in case anyone was wondering the (at least what I understand to be) retail build of SFV does not appear to support PS3 sticks. I had a venom plugged in and switched to PS3 mode whilst plugged in, it didn't come up with any prompts or similar, it just cut out.

I know some people might have thought that it might come in the retail build whereas the beta didn't support it, but it doesn't.

I didn't dig around in the menus or test it anymore than that, but I'd be really suprised if it turns out that they are supported at launch.

The build that Capcom was showing off at the media event was not retail. It was near final, running on debug PS4 systems. But it wasn't final code.

I'm going to try to get by with my $30 clearance hori fightpad.

See if a real, good universal pcb shows up. I hear about firmware updates and ps4 updates breaking them, its really shitty. Theres no reason that USB controllers from ps3 shouldn't work over usb with ps4.

ibrahima

Banned
The original TE lives on in form of the TE-S+! You can add the normal sides on if you'd like/have them.

I want to bring the VS back. We'll see what happens. :)

Aaaah I meant the original TE colourway and artstyle!

Also...

Hnghhhhh you and your teases, loose lips sink ships, don't you be making those kind of promises!

ibrahima

Banned
The build that Capcom was showing off at the media event was not retail. It was near final, running on debug PS4 systems. But it wasn't final code.

You're right there, fair shout, I remember there being a "this developer device will expire in XXXX days" message on one of the setups.

I'll walk back what I said there a bit, but I've become steadily less optimistic about legacy support happening, and whilst there's "near final" code more or less out in the wild like that I'd be really suprised if they just turn around and flick some switch for it prior to release.

smurfx

get some go again
You will have to check with GameStop. They ordered it from us and will have some to fulfill preorders/in store, but not sure which stores are getting it.
seems like not a lot of stores are going to be selling the pads. they aren't going to be a limited run are they? don't want to be paying 100 dollars for a new pad 1 or 2 years down the line.

drotahorror

It might not just work that easy, where you can switch to ps3 mode mid game. It may be like USFIV where you need a dualshock also turned on

SFV on PC doesn't support directinput.

So PS3 and PS4 sticks (like the new TES+ and TE2+ coming this month) will not work with SFV natively on PC. You can use a 3rd party program and introduce input lag if you like.

SFV on PC doesn't support directinput.

So PS3 and PS4 sticks (like the new TES+ and TE2+ coming this month) will not work with SFV natively on PC. You can use a 3rd party program and introduce input lag if you like.
A huge oversight on Capcom's part but no worries, there are a bunch of 360 sticks that are the same exact thing (minus the Sony features) from the same exact manufacturer that are cheaper and are plug and play on the PC.

Has anybody gotten their hands on the fightpads yet? I've only seen the 20s markman demo on YouTube and would like to hear other impressions before ordering.

drotahorror

A huge oversight on Capcom's part but no worries, there are a bunch of 360 sticks that are the same exact thing (minus the Sony features) from the same exact manufacturer that are cheaper and are plug and play on the PC.

True, but bad for future tournament players if they just stick with their 360 sticks since tournaments will go with PS4.

Supposedly MCz is working on firmware updates for the new sticks so they can be xinput. Guess we'll find out about that sometime.

So I've always enjoyed fighting games and have been a decent but by no means great player in the genre. Lately I've been really getting into watching competitive play and am wanting to give a legit Fight Stick a shot and have been debating on taking the plunge on one of the SFV ones. A couple quick questions

1. How difficult is it to learn to use?

and

2. Is it really a vastly superior experience over a normal controller? I assume it must be as that's what basically all the pro's use, its just having never been versed in them myself they look somewhat difficult to use

JayEH

So I've always enjoyed fighting games and have been a decent but by no means great player in the genre. Lately I've been really getting into watching competitive play and am wanting to give a legit Fight Stick a shot and have been debating on taking the plunge on one of the SFV ones. A couple quick questions

and

2. Is it really a vastly superior experience over a normal controller? I assume it must be as that's what basically all the pro's use, its just having never been versed in them myself they look somewhat difficult to use

1. It can be a steep learning curve. Can take a few weeks before your completely comfortable with it.

2. It's all up to your preference. Some things are easier on stick, others on pad. What it comes down to is just practice. Being on stick doesn't make you a better player. There a quite a few pro players who do play on pad including the top US player right now and the EVO 2014 champion.

1. It can be a steep learning curve. Can take a few weeks before your completely comfortable with it.

2. It's all up to your preference. Some things are easier on stick, others on pad. What it comes down to is just practice. Being on stick doesn't make you a better player. There a quite a few pro players who do play on pad including the top US player right now and the EVO 2014 champion.

Ahh interesting, so its not just an objectively superior way to play, just a preferred one for some people. I'm thinking of picking up the Alpha. Its cheaper than the bigger sticks and looks like it may be more budget friendly for someone like me who's just starting out using one

True, but bad for future tournament players if they just stick with their 360 sticks since tournaments will go with PS4.

Supposedly MCz is working on firmware updates for the new sticks so they can be xinput. Guess we'll find out about that sometime.
Hopefully. If not there are USB adapters that can make those 360 sticks work on PS4 that cost around $50.

amnesiac

Ahh interesting, so its not just an objectively superior way to play, just a preferred one for some people. I'm thinking of picking up the Alpha. Its cheaper than the bigger sticks and looks like it may be more budget friendly for someone like me who's just starting out using one

I'm looking at the Alpha too but the thing I'm wondering is if I'd do worse on a small arcade stick (like the Alpha) as opposed to a good pad.

and

I grew up on pad and recently switched to stick.

It's really messed up at first. It's the fighting game equivalent to learning to walk again but I was ok after a few game sessions spread out over a few days. After a couple of weeks it felt as natural as a pad.

I was still deciding which one I would use up until a couple of weeks ago. I decided to continue with stick because it's easier for me to do advanced moves like FADC (SFIV) than on a pad. I also have an issue where I could never DP from 2 player side. I don't have that problem with a stick. Other than that though, I could go either way and be fine.

The bigger the better more space for you rest your hands on during gameplay. You can always choose the TES+ it's the perfect size imo but you can't go wrong.

I ask because I want the TES+ and I'm trying to make sure I make the right decision! I'm considering the TE2 only because people say it's more customization. But really, TES+ doesn't look any less customizable and I'm going to be painting the shell of the stick pink anyways.

Xerotwo

Was gonna consider getting a fightpad pro or alpha. gonna wait for impressions before I make a decision. I might consider getting that TE S+ if it comes down to that lol

Do people feel there's an inherent benefits for going stick over pad, or to a certain extent is it part nostalgia but purely preference?

Edit: Already ordered a fightpad pro (Chun Li/Blue) but just wondering.

Renekton

Do people feel there's an inherent benefits for going stick over pad, or to a certain extent is it part nostalgia but purely preference?
Some characters benefit slightly from stick and some from pad.

Also personal differences, for example I'm terrible with charge characters on pad. Would probably get blisters if playing 3S charge char.

Some characters benefit slightly from stick and some from pad.

Also personal differences, for example I'm terrible with charge characters on pad.

Ok. Well I suppose I can only really find out for myself, obviously, as I get more experienced and learn a character or two. Cheers

Copenap

I personally just enjoy playing with a stick, it's more fun but I guess that falls into the category of nostalgia. What I read though is that there are certain techniques that are easier on the stick but they are mostly not relevant for SFV.

Dremark

Banned
I ask because I want the TES+ and I'm trying to make sure I make the right decision! I'm considering the TE2 only because people say it's more customization. But really, TES+ doesn't look any less customizable and I'm going to be painting the shell of the stick pink anyways.

I'm under the impression that it's harder to open up, the TE2 series has the flip top, while I think you need to open up the TES+ had to be opened from the bottom. It's less accessible but I don't think it's a huge deal. I'm getting the TE2+ myself though.

As far as the size and weight goes I think just about anyone could use and hold the thing. It has weight to it but it's not really heavy by any means. If you really think it might be an issue the HRAP4 feels lighter than my old PS3 TE did and it's a solid stick as well, maybe look into it.

Shito

Depends on the games, but some of them like Street Fighter were designed to be played with a stick. It doesn't mean you can't play it with a pad, or that some of the moves or characters aren't easier to perform on a pad, but it's clear that all the inputs were designed around having a stick and 6 front buttons.

Shigby

Banned
What's the consensus on the best D-Input to X-Input Wrapper Program so I can use my TE2+ with SFV on PC?

Is the input lag really that bad, and if so, which program offers the least amount of lag comparatively to the others?

Appreciate any help given guys!

Raytow

What's the consensus on the best D-Input to X-Input Wrapper Program so I can use my TE2+ with SFV on PC?

Is the input lag really that bad, and if so, which program offers the least amount of lag comparatively to the others?

Appreciate any help given guys!

Same boat, still can't wrap around my head why SFV dropped it, when SFIVU was just fine, then again in SFIV vanilla iirc,
you could see the move list on screen instead of pausing and checking them and that was removed, Capcom truly baffling dev decisions.

Ardenyal

So... since the Alpha doesn't have a touchpad that means I could go ahead and get a Venom, right?

It seems like a decently priced stick I could mod with better buttons if I really wanted to.

I can recommend this as a good value option. Modded mine with sanwa parts but then went back to the stock parts O__o I preferred the slightly stiffer stick and larger diagonals on the stock stick.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Touch pad is missing on the TE2

They probably meant the + versions of both. Both the TE2+ and the TES+ have touch pads.

The TE2+ is just easier to open up to mod as it has a fliptop while you have to take some screws/bolts out of the TES+, and the TE2 is bigger and a little heavier. And the different art of course.

My Chun-Li stick is out for delivery. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Captain Awesome

Neo Member
I'm looking at the Alpha too but the thing I'm wondering is if I'd do worse on a small arcade stick (like the Alpha) as opposed to a good pad.

If you are used to a pad, you will probably do worse on a fight stick initially. After awhile, you will probably be comparable in skill with the pad and fight stick...and then after a long while, you will be better with whatever you use the most (stick or pad)

I play on both stick and controller, and can tell you that I prefer a controller 9/10 times. It's just more comfortable for me. I am about the same skill either using a SNES controller or a fight stick (I am not a pro by any means and don't really compete)

IMO fight sticks are much cooler than fight pads. Many sticks have great artwork, awesome customized buttons and are fun to use. Honestly, a high quality fight stick will make almost any controller feel like a toy in comparison....but that does not make the fight stick better than the fight pad. Also, the community to talk about fight sticks with is HUGE.

I prefer a fight pad due to familiarity, portability, lower price, freedom (fight sticks are usually limited to use on a table or lap, whereas the fight pad can really be used anywhere), and also the quietness (I wake the wife up if I am using the fight stick). On the other hand, someone could have a hundred reasons why a fight stick is better.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to what you want to use.

My recommendation would be to wait until you see the Alpha and the new Fight Pad, because the pad looks REALLY interesting. Then buy both. :)

Top Bottom