• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal Trailer (Hangar 13/Take-Two, 2016, PC/PS4/XB1)

omonimo

Banned
I bet they wouldn't bitch if it was another white dude.
Probably they are not interested to the black mafia scenario. So they expected to have to do with an Italian protagonist. I don't think it has exactly to do with racism. Should I be offended because most of people here expected everyone inside the mafia it's italian?

Wow, I thought it was amazing, easily the best trailer I saw today. Then I saw the downvoted and the comments where people were raging that "this is not Mafia".

What the hell.

Zach

I bet they wouldn't bitch if it was another white dude.

Yeah, really these guys should just stop and think to themselves: if the trailer was exactly the same but it was Vito and three white mafiosos, would I be happy?

If the answer is yes, you may be a bit racist.

Walpurgis

Banned
Black man in Italian mafia, has no much sense to me. Really I don't get this choice. Mafia people are quite racist/elitist in the choice of their men, just for their original roots, if I'm not wrong.
I watched the CGI trailer and the only black person that I saw was the woman with the afro. In any case, as you said, the Italian mafia are generally elitist and racist, at least they are in the movies. They also value family and honour. And they throw all of this away for money and power. A black person being a part of the Italian mafia is not unrealistic. They just have to have something to offer or be "family" with an important member.

edit: I watched an interview. So the guy is half black/half white during the civil rights era in a racist ass city and a part of something called "the black mob". As long as there are lots of Italian mobsters, this sounds pretty great to me.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah, really these guys should just stop and think to themselves: if the trailer was exactly the same but it was Vito and three white mafiosos, would I be happy?

LOL

Not at fucking all. You guys are ridiculous.

Grasping at racism straws.

jmood88

Or...some people wanted another Italian mafia game.

I'm fine with this but people wanting another La Cosa Nostra game aren't bad people. Of course they worked with all sorts of people as associates, allies, etc. but if people want another game about the most popular mafia, I don't blame them. I'd like to think most of them would be upset with an Irish mafia game as well.

I'm excited but I'm not going to call others racist for wanting the game to continue focusing on the Italian mafia instead of featuring them. Hell, I want a game about Chalky White.

As amirox said, it's fine if you just wanted an Italian mob game and the change is disappointing but the reasons given for why some people don't want to play the game range from a lack of historical knowledge or just pure racism.

Fjordson

So the guy driving in the CGI trailer is the main character, who are the other people with him at the end? Also playable characters? Or do we not know yet?

Is anyone gonna talk about how this game wants to tackle racism but doesn't want to get rid of all the video gameness. I would be on board with this game 100% if it wasn't for all the screens of the MC hiding behind cover with a gun

Yeah. What do you want from me? You want to label me a racist? Go right ahead, then you are closeminded.

I also hope Black Pete stays forever just to spite salty ppl like you. Kids love black pete.

060110_Stop_Talking_Cards_2.jpg

kiguel182

Looks like a setting that isn't explored a lot so that's cool. Only watched the trailer and the dev interview but really liked what they showed in terms of mood and setting.

Are the other characters there for co-op or just side characters? If it's co-op it's a little disappointing since not everything needs co-op in it but the dev didn't mention it.

Anyway, looks cool setting wise, looks like gameplay wise it's a little generic but if it works that isn't a problem.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So the guy driving in the CGI trailer is the main character, who are the other people with him at the end? Also playable characters? Or do we not know yet?
They're associated with you, but you don't play as them. Older gentleman is Vito from Mafia 2.

Ohh cool, saved.

There is more information of it out there, I believe it was supposed to have a female protagonist.

I love Sleeping Dogs but whatever Black Lotus was would have been very interesting to see.

I can't think of any organised crime game with a predefined female protagonist, I'm sure it would have been fascinating.

Let's do it. Starting now!

Ok, while I can see peoples complaints that Mafia 2 didn't have enough/any side stuff I kind of hope Mafia 3 is the same way, don't get me wrong some really interesting side missions would be fantastic, I mean I hope they don't waste time putting in side content for contents sake.

Also while I hope it doesn't dwell too much on the past I really hope we get to find out what Vito's been up too.

Will we help him get revenge for Joe?

Also, I know it's a retread but a scene like in the second game when Vito gets home were you are just given the objective of getting home and you just take some time to walk through the city, that would be cool.

Order

Yeah. What do you want from me? You want to label me a racist? Go right ahead, then you are closeminded.

I also hope Black Pete stays forever just to spite salty ppl like you. Kids love black pete.
You keep saying you're not racist, but continue to post shit like this.

Amir0x

Banned

Ok MMaRsu, now you really are being racist. You hope a racist icon stays to hurt the very black community that is offended by it.

Dude, it's time to take a step back. You are now officially racist and nobody is being closeminded saying that. Maybe it's because you don't understand the complexities involved, but I think now is the time to bow out.

With the main character being mixed race it's possible his father was an Italian made man and that will tie him to the mafia family. Maybe Vito is his old man. They had to have a reason to make him mixed.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ok MMaRsu, now you really are being racist. You hope a racist icon stays to hurt the very black community that is offended by it.

Dude, it's time to take a step back. You are now officially racist and nobody is being closeminded saying that. Maybe it's because you don't understand the complexities involved, but I think now is the time to bow out.

The only black community that takes offense to it are americans.

Americans should worry about their own traditions before looking at other countries.

The Black Pete is racist shit has only begun a few years back. Before that you never heard anything about it.

But honestly this is not the thread for it, but I didnt bring up black pete.

Also I never constantly said Im leaving just that one time. Sadly people keep calling me racist im gonna post on ot cause I dont agree.

If anyone wants to take it up with me go by PM then, let me not shit up this thread worse.

Sasie

Is it okey if the answer is no then? Black characters are not the problem. Personally I never had issues loving the Walking Dead. Mafia 3 though seems to have same problem as Mafia 2 did, I had hoped for a sequel similar to the first game where even driving over the speed limit was a bad idea.

Even the 60's-70's is a problem. The classical mafia movies set under the depression might been over done as far as movies goes but we only got one game like it. I would have liked another one.

robotrock

Banned
I watched the gameplay videos and did not think it looked dated. I'm sure it's going to look better by the time it comes out too.

People want to live out their romanticized Godfather-era Ialian mob fantasies, not just "deal" with the Italian Mafia.

If that's wrong I don't want to be right.

That's the thing, we don't know if this protagonist is in the Italian mafia or not. If he's in the italian mafia, I dunno he was adopted into it or stumbled upon it, then what's the problem? It looks like Vito is on his side, seeing as how they're all standing in unison.

So barring wanting to play as Vito, why are people saying 'I want to live out the Italian Mafia' if it most likely will be that? Let's just put it straight-

Is it because you can't relate as a black person(Not asking you directly, just a retrospective question)? Because you can't suspend disbelief enough to believe that a black person can be in an italian mafia in a ficitonal story? You can and probably will see Vitos story come to it's conclusion, seeing as he's an old man. I'm sure the storytelling will be good enough for that. So playing as Vito really isn't a requirement in order to live out the 'Italian Mafia power fantasy'.

\

Americans should worry about their own traditions before looking at other countries.

The Black Pete is racist shit has only begun a few years back. Before that you never heard anything about it.

Also I never constantly said Im leaving just that one time. Sadly people keep calling me racist im gonna post on ot cause I dont agree.

Um...I'm pretty sure many Europeans have an issue with black pete. This isn't a situation where only Americans are offended. For being in the netherlands, it's interesting how ignorant you are of the situation surrounding black pete.

How on earth is this thread still going?
Not only am I anticipating this title even more, this game looks to be a necessity at the looks of this thread.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Today is just the day for shitty trailers isnt it?

Gameplay looks... blah. and New Orleans is a very tiny city, not sure how thats going to play.

UCB47pT.gif

I just wanna discuss Mafia 3. :(
It looks cool and New Orleans is a swank place to have a game.

That's Clay's new Family, drawn from various backgrounds.

demolitio

:( same...

The game looks interesting in a Godfather 2 type of way, which I actually preferred over the original game.

Same here. It had is issues but I loved taking over piece by piece.

I'm excited for the music in this one. Hope they go all out on licenses.

Hope we get a game in Vegas at some point. I like bright lights.

What the actual fuck is this shit?

Ledhead

I honestly find the change refreshing. As a history buff, i'm always up for exploring new locales and different groups/organizations. The Black Mafia is rarely touched on, and I think the game has a great opportunity to explore its inner workings and relations to other crime organizations, as well as its interactions with greater society.

Also, it doesn't seem like the Italian Mafia is going to be nonexistant. Vito is presumably in the game, and the guy killed in the trailer seems to be a part of the Italian mob.

Top Bottom