• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal Trailer (Hangar 13/Take-Two, 2016, PC/PS4/XB1)

Frog-fu

Banned
Man, avoid the Youtube comments unless you find the salt delish.

giphy.gif

I'm having flash back from GTA San Andreas reveal, gaffers were outraged to see a black protagonist.

I wonder if years later they will look back to this thread and get ashamed.

This is nothing like this.

The game is called Mafia. There are clear and obvious connotations associated with the word. It doesn't mean black people don't have ties to the Mafia, but by its most widely and generally accepted definition, the Mafia refers to the Italian mob.

Even if you want to ignore the title of the game itself or argue that it's more generally used and doesn't relate only to Italians, there's still the history of the previous games to consider. All of the previous games focused predominantly on the Italan mob, so there's an expectation that this one would too . The name GTA never had any such connotations. Games took place in london, new york, etc and always have had multiple different organized crime groups. All before San Andreas came out. People complaining about that are entirely different

Expecting a game called Mafia, in which the two previous games were about the Mafia to have an predominantly Italian cast doesnt make you racist, and it doesn't mean you can't relate to the new main character. I find the new character's story and the themes they're presenting in the trailer much more relatable than anything in the previous games. But, it's like when Hitman games turned into a mindless third person shooter; based on the previous games in the series you have an expectation of what the next game will provide. Some people weren't happy when Absolution didn't line up with their expectations of the series. That's what I'm seeing here.

I absolutely love love love (repeated for emphasis) the concept of what they showed in the trailer. I just dont love it as a game in the Mafia series.

Here I was expecting to (hopefully) have speed limits an dother things that made Mafia stand out from GTA , where the cityscape felt more "real" and doing things would get you in trouble if people saw you and it made it more exciting.

Yet it seems like we are getting an arcadey style Just cause/GTA gameplay.

The way the cars burst into flames when another car hits them looks soooooooo bad imo.

I hate that style of gameplay, instead of having cars with realistic damage modeling, crumple zones, something like Flatout, etc they end up having generic "car looks fine, oh no someone touched it! Change model and have flames burst out!"

Very disappointing indeed. Mafia was such an amazing game.

MUnited83

For you.

The game is called Mafia. There are clear and obvious connotations associated with the word. It doesn't mean black people don't have ties to the Mafia, but by its most widely and generally accepted definition, the Mafia refers to the Italian mob.

Even if you want to ignore the title of the game itself or argue that it's more generally used and doesn't relate only to Italians, there's still the history of the previous games to consider. All of the previous games focused predominantly on the Italan mob, so there's an expectation that this one would too . The name GTA never had any such connotations. Games took place in london, new york, etc and always have had multiple different organized crime groups. All before San Andreas came out. People complaining about that are entirely different

Expecting a game called Mafia, in which the two previous games were about the Mafia to have an predominantly Italian cast doesnt make you racist, and it doesn't mean you can't relate to the new main character. I find the new character's story and the themes they're presenting in the trailer much more relatable than anything in the previous games. But, it's like when Hitman games turned into a mindless third person shooter; based on the previous games in the series you have an expectation of what the next game will provide. Some people weren't happy when Absolution didn't line up with their expectations of the series. That's what I'm seeing here.

I absolutely love love love (repeated for emphasis) the concept of what they showed in the trailer. I just dont love it as a game in the Mafia series.
I know right? Italy never had black people at all at any point in time . none !

Frog-fu

Banned
The term mafia hasn't exclusively referred to Italian organised crime for decades. Any criminal enterprise large enough can be one. There are Russian mafias, Chinese mafias, and so and so forth, and just as the term itself has broadened, there is no reason the franchise can't. If 2K wants to diversify, then let them. More power to them.

Opto

Banned

I for one never heard of any kind of black mafia. If the black mafia was a thing, this would make sense to call it Mafia, but since there is no black mafia, it certainly can't be called Mafia. Because, once again, the phrase "black mafia" has never been a phrase.

Lime

I'm reasonably excited for the game, because it's not Italian Mobsters. Frankly, I'm sick to death of La Costra Nosa. Movies, TVs, and games have turned them into bullshit fantasies about the nobility of mobsters, focusing more on the organized than on the crime. And the setting is just amazing. Few cities have more character than New Orleans, and NO in the sixties was a crazy place. This went from not being on my radar at all, to something I'm anticipating.

This echoes my exact sentiments in regards to the concept of the game. I hope the gameplay and execution are up to snuff.

The exploding vehicles though :(

Can't wait for this, Glad to see Vito back too even as a secondary character and I thought the trailer was great aswell, going to be interesting to see how the classic Mafia theme in general is going to play out in a very unorthodox location.
Just hope they have worked on the checkpointing of missions as that was my main gripe with 2.

Sign me up. The setting and challenging adult themes look amazing. I hope they play the time period straight and create a believable atmosphere. I don't remember any game that's tried to "realistically" portray that climate . Please don't be bad, hell I'll take middling gameplay if the story is great.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't like this one bit. The setting, the era, everything, basically. I kinda hate how the dev talks about how this is a serious game and not a wink-nudge "old boys" game like Mafia 2, as footage in the background shows the character fucking stabbing a dude in the face 10 times.

...I liked the "old boys" atmosphere from Mafia II. That game had charm, a great atmosphere and a good sense of humor.

Eh ... the trailer is the same crap all E3 trailers are. Some way gruffy sounding CG guy with some revenge thing decides to kill some other guy in a fancy way. That's like every single E3 trailer in existence.

I like that we've got a biracial character which at least brings a possibly interesting narrative element to the table. Other than that ... eh.

jmood88

There are clear and obvious connotations because popular culture only presents one aspect, which is the only reason why you and others would find something like this to not match up with the mafia oeuvre. As for the series, there have been two games, neither of which featured you playing as the same character or during the same time period, so there should be no expectation of things being the same in the next game in the series.

As I pointed out previously, the issue then is your concept of Mafia as a series. The owner seems to disagree with you. They believe as others have pointed out that "mafia" stands as a general term for organized crime. As such, they're expanding beyond Cosa Nostra for the lead characters of this game. Despite that, Cosa Nostra still plays a very big part in the game, something you'd have to work very hard to ignore. It also carries similar themes and characters from previous titles in the series forward.

Halo has moved beyond telling just the story of the Master Chief killing the Covenant on Halo rings. Series can and do evolve and play around within their constraints.

Essentially, we're arguing that you have to have such a narrow interpretation of the term "Mafia" and series in order to disregard this game. It's limiting at best.

I for one never heard of any kind of black mafia. If the black mafia was a thing, this would make sense to call it Mafia, but since there is no black mafia, it certainly can't be called Mafia. Because, once again, the phrase "black mafia" has never been a phrase.

You know we have this thing called the Internet where we could look up this information instead of spouting uninformed bullshit.

Eila

Look forward to playing as Morrissey, well, if the companions are playable. They'll probably make DLC for each of them anyway.
I'm interested in the setting. And about the action, well, I enjoyed Mafia II plenty so I'll probably like this, too.

Revas

Or...some people wanted another Italian mafia game.

I'm fine with this but people wanting another La Cosa Nostra game aren't bad people. Of course they worked with all sorts of people as associates, allies, etc. but if people want another game about the most popular mafia, I don't blame them. I'd like to think most of them would be upset with an Irish mafia game as well.

I'm excited but I'm not going to call others racist for wanting the game to continue focusing on the Italian mafia instead of featuring them. Hell, I want a game about Chalky White.

I never said that they were bad people. It's just very hard for me to see a Mafia fan deciding not to play this game solely based upon the idea of not playing an Italian mob member. We don't even know enough about the game to jump to conclusions about the story and how the players fit into everything.

I'm the last person on Earth to complain about videogame violence, but this just seems totally unnecessary.

If you want a game about the history of the mob then you're in for some deeply horrifying shit.

also fucking lol at the dude saying black pete isn't racist because "the kids love it!"

Never thought I would see that shit in a Mafia thread.

Salsa

honestly im mixed

I think the setting is very cool

I love that Vito's there, being a constant through all the Mafia games now (well if you count the 1 retcon of sorts)

I actually like them mixing it up and bringin the idea of a Mafia game away from a Godfather kinda thing and into a more modern world where the mob still very much existed

but.. what makes this not GTA now?

This looks like the antithesis of everything Mafia was every about.
Yup I don't care what colour the protagonist is. Hell I could even get behind a Mafia game that has you taking on the Mafia for a change (rather than trying to climb the Mafia ladder). But that gameplay video was horrible and looked nothing like the way the old mafia games played.

Really not getting good vibes about this game and it will probably be the first Mafia I don't pre-order but wait and see what the reception is of it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah. What do you want from me? You want to label me a racist? Go right ahead, then you are closeminded.

I also hope Black Pete stays forever just to spite salty ppl like you. Kids love black pete.
MMaRsu, stop being so easily offended when someone is rationally expressing an opinion you disagree with.

Top Bottom