• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal Trailer (Hangar 13/Take-Two, 2016, PC/PS4/XB1)

Zach

I wish there wasn't so much chatter about black protagonists. I mean, I'm assuming it'll be explained in the game and it'll be fine. Jeez, guys.

It seems you dont understand expectations in a multiple game series.

Maybe Halo 6 should be about the fucking birds and bees on another Halo planet. Its still about HALO after all.
Difference being Halo was a trilogy with a defined main character and story

While Mafia is more of series of games with the same theme of "Mafia". Kind of how GTA is a series of games with similar themes and have different characters and setting in each one. 80s Miami, 90s California, 00s New York, modern LA

Prohibition-era Italian Mafia, Post-WWII Italian Mafia, Post-Vietnam Black Mafia/Dixie Mafia, etc.

Your response to MMaRsu implies that somehow I'm not being honest? It's like I said, I don't know why all other organised crimes are uninteresting to me, whether they're black, white, or whatever, they never have had the same sense of "feel" compared to the other organised crime in fiction. Stuff like The Godfather and Goodfellas shit on all other organised crime fiction from such a height it's not even funny, and I've come to expect certain things after two instalments from Mafia.

Spread yourself out then. Try some Scarface or Carlito's Way. Breaking Bad is about organized crime. Black Mass is doing the story of Whitey Bulger and the Departed is based roughly on Bulger and on a previous Chinese film involving Triads. Boardwalk Empire was great. The Wire?

Seriously, there's far more to organized crime than the Godfather and my special edition Godfather Collection Blu-Rays hold a prominent place on my bookshelf.

It seems you dont understand expectations in a multiple game series. You dont need to explain jack shit, I know what you are saying. But people cant be dissapointed that its not going to focus on Italian mobsters?

Maybe Halo 6 should be about the fucking birds and bees on another Halo planet. Its still about HALO after all.

Not sure if you're kidding?

51ICIAyG50L.jpg

Scotia

Banned

This is a game about the fucking MAFIA. Italians or no Italians this game still uses the MAFIA in its story. If Mafia 3 was about some guy doing his taxes in fucking Manchester then yeah, I'd understand where you were comin from.

DC1

Oh I know those terms, just wasn't aware that there is such a divide between light and dark skinned African Americans, having different societies.
For clarity.
(As you know)..The club thing, not so much.

But, The socially distinction between "acceptable" or "privileged" skin tones existed in the US for centuries.

While it's not remotely predominant today, there are still remnants of the idiotic sub-class boxing in non-African American segments across several verticals.

MMaRsu

Banned
Im personally not tired of Italian Mobs cause I dont think many games have done it any justice except mafia 1 and 2 perhaps ( 2 worse ).

And for me personally I wanted to continue Vitos story. So please stop jumping to dumb conclusions ( some ppl )

I haven't read previews but was the song at the end correct, are we done with fake cities? Are we New Orleans for real?

Edit: Figured it out. We New Orleans now.

Im personally not tired of Italian Mobs cause I dont think many games have done it any justice except mafia 1 and 2 perhaps ( 2 worse ).

And for me personally I wanted to continue Vitos story. So please stop jumping to dumb conclusions ( some ppl )
Vito's in the game. They are continuing his story

MMaRsu

Banned
This is a game about the fucking MAFIA. Italians or no Italians this game still uses the MAFIA in its story. If Mafia 3 was about some guy doing his taxes in fucking Manchester then yeah, I'd understand where you were comin from.

And the first two games focussed on Italian mafia, why would anyone expect the third one to be about a different mob? The italian one was still rich with material to be developed.

But I guess you only read what u want to read or something.

codhand

glad to see a black lead protagonist. Mafia 2 had me uncomfortable, playing as an active participant in some racist, hateful missions.

deli2000

The gameplay doesn't look too good in my opinion but I can't wait to see what they do with the setting and characters here. Kudos to the devs for stepping out of the overused "Sicilian Organised Crime" backdrop.

Kreed

The trailer and multiple posts in this thread confirm that Vito plays a big role in this and some of the links in the OP mention the Italian mafia plays a big role in this game's story.

Lime

Not sure what interview I watched this morning but they said being mixed race will play into the story. He is treated as different by some black characters and as black by white characters. That's why the killing of his new family is such a big deal. He finally found somewhere he belongs and BLAM...all alone again.

I sure as hell hope they won't do the tired "tragic mulatto" premise. If they do decide to run with it, I at least hope they execute it well.

This thread is weird.

Racialized and thereby politicized identities will unfortunately do that. :(

And that is really too bad, because the concept of the game is so fresh and amazing

And the first two games focussed on Italian mafia, why would anyone expect the third one to be about a different mob? The italian one was still rich with material to be developed.

But I guess you only read what u want to read or something.
This is literally grand theft auto San Andreas discussion part two. I wasn't even here and I'm sure I could jump back to that thread and find this argument.

Scotia

Banned
Fuck it. I love the game, love the main character, story setting and everything. The game is everything I wanted. For some it's not what they wanted but all I can say to that is "oh well". Now I'm leaving this thread before things get more ugly then they already are.

Zach

If this series was called 'Italian Mafia' I'd understand some of these comments, but it's not.

Even if it was called Italian Mafia, they could still tell a story involving other ethnicities. They don't have to be made men to be the protagonists.

And if you're really disappointed and wanted something different, don't buy it. There are a million other games you can play. You are entitled to nothing.

Yeah, neither setting/story nor the seemingly arcadey gameplay is what I want from a Mafia game. First Mafia II sucking, now this unnecessarily going into a completely different direction. Can it be so fucking hard to make a proper follow-up to the first game?

Hesh

The different factions remind me of The Godfather II video game, which while it hilariously raked the license over the coals, it was a damn fun game to play. I've been waiting for another open world mafia game to play where I could command an army of goons to take out rival families and carry out tasks like I could in that game. Here's hoping Mafia 3 scratches that itch.

You dont get to play as him or explore the inner workings of the Italian mob as him.

At least thats what Im assuming. He isnt the MC is all im saying.
You're telling people to not make assumptions and here you are making all of these assumptions about how the game will play out and making decisions based on no evidence?

MMaRsu

Banned
This is literally grand theft auto San Andreas discussion part two. I wasn't even here and I'm sure I could jump back to that thread and find this argument.

Sure whatevs. Im out of this thread. Ppl in here jumping to conclusions where there arent any. Anybody that knows me know im no racist or have ANYTHING against people that arent white of skin color.

Ive stated multiple times itt why im dissapointed by this reveal, and its not cause the MC is black.

Admiral I never said people shouldnt make assumptions. People can do whatever the hell they want. Just dont call me out to be a racist cause im not one.

Please gtfo and stop jumping to conclusions. I think franklin is my most played gtav character.

Oh, well by all means that settles it then! Would you like your pass emailed, or a laminated card sent through the mail?

Vito is in the game. If you're that unhappy about a black protagonist and not continuing the 'Italian' story line as you see fit, make your own damn game. This is such a thinly veiled argument

Matt808

Neo Member
Wait

When did the term Mafia exclusively mean "Italian Mafia"?

Some of you do know that there are a bevy of Mafias that go into different areas/nationalities right?

When it originated in Italy. It was used as a name for the specific structure and hierarchy of the Sicilian organized crime. In recent years it's used more broadly but usually people add the region of the organization they want to refer to... "Albanian Mafia", "Russian Mafia" etc. So it's not unreasonable to assume that a game just called Mafia is about Italian organized crime.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh, well by all means that settles it then! Would you like your pass emailed, or a laminated card sent through the mail?

Vito is in the game. If you're that unhappy about a black protagonist and not continuing the 'Italian' story line as you see fit, make your own damn game. This is such a thinly veiled argument

It has nothing to do with the MC beeing black HOLY SHIT. You fuckers will read anything what you want to read.

You're telling people to not make assumptions and here you are making all of these assumptions about how the game will play out and making decisions based on no evidence?

The Gamespot preview posted earlier covered it.
With his target down and the club under control, Lincoln called in one of his lieutenants to set up shop. His small crew includes a black woman, Cassandra, an Irish thug named Burke, and none other than Vito from Mafia II. Unfortunately, you won't be able to directly control anyone other than Lincoln, and we learned very little about what they're capable of beyond controlling areas of New Orleans in Lincoln's place.

Rembrandt

Banned
Sure whatevs. Im out of this thread. Ppl in here jumping to conclusions where there arent any. Anybody that knows me know im no racist or have ANYTHING against people that arent white of skin color.

Ive stated multiple times itt why im dissapointed by this reveal, and its not cause the MC is black.

Admiral I never said people shouldnt make assumptions. People can do whatever the hell they want. Just dont call me out to be a racist cause im not one.

would you feel this way if it was a white character distinct from the one we played in Mafia II?

of course not:
And yes to italian mobsters please. Not interested in the black maffia.

Well, that's not what I'm saying, but haha.

just poking fun, lol.

Gameplay sounds like Sleeping Dogs and Triad Wars combined... Story even seems a bit Sleeping Dog-ish.

After the first two songs, was half expecting Fortunate Son to play next.

Should have renamed the series Gangsters just so people would shut up about Mafia = Italian.

"But violent black man out for revenge is sooooo cliché"

giphy.gif

The negativity on display in this thread is unbelievable. So we have a black protagonist in a mafia game,big deal. The Italian mafia will be in this game. If you guys are paying attention they are the driving force behind this plot. It's not like they are doing away with them. I can't wait to see how this game turns out.

Top Bottom