• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Can play used games on different Xbox w/o fee but in your profile only

PaulLFC

I honestly don't see why Gamestop, GAME etc will stock the Xbox One if this and the "propriety trade in system" (online cloud activations) are true:

- Gets rid of a huge part of their business model
- Hardware margins are pitiful

What's the benefit to them?

Frillen

Not going to be a problem for me, but obviously for a significantly amount of others. Microsoft making bad choices after bad choices.

TBH i am shocked of how amateurish MS´s PR is at handling this announcement. They had plenty of time to rehearse, and figure out how to spin this disaster.

I'm not shocked at all; this thing isn't easy to spin.

"At Microsoft, we're thankful to our loyal customers. Really, we are. But it seems to us that there is revenue out there which is currently being withheld, not through the fault of our loyal customers, but through the fault of our old business model. We know our customers want to give us more money and now, with Xbox One, we're going to allow them to do just that."

1. Correct
2. Jane can play that DLC on Joe's console offline if Joe's account is activated on that console. Jane can play that DLC on Joe's console only if she's online on XBL if Joe's account is somehow missing.
3. Correct. Howeveri Joe can play with his account on Joe's console only if he's online on XBL.
4. Jimmy will play that DLC on his system IF Joe's account is also installed on his system AND online on XBL.

As you can see the current DLC DRM is alrady fucking draconian, it just went unnoticed because people did not expect DLC to be shareable/tradeable/lendable.

Now that games are presumably treated with the same DRM, welcome to Shithole.
The current system has 2 forms of ties:

Console tie
Gamertag tie

The console the DLC is originally bought on will work with any gamertag on the system, regardless of whether the Gamertag that bought it is currently registered to that system.

If you log into your gamertag on another system, anyone can play it on the new system AS LONG AS the original Gamertag is signed in on one of the controllers.

Scenario:

*Joe buys ME DLC on Console 1. Jane also has a Gamertag on Console 1. Joe and Jane can both use the DLC freely.

*Joe takes his Gamertag to Daves house and logs in on Console 2. Dave can now play the DLC when Joe is signed in. Jane can still use the DLC on Console 1 to play against Joe and Dave on Console 2.

Its bloody confusing, and someone is likely to explain it better than me.
Thanks.

So it differs in quite a significant manner from how PSN accounts and digital purchases work.

That's kind of bad for people with multiple systems, but at the least on a single family console for example a game will be able to be played by multiple users accounts.

What if you want to play two player and your friend logs into his or her profile as player 2?

Any DLC any player has will be available to the other granted they are both signed on to XBL. For offline play, it's complicated and I don't have time to explain. Read my previous posts and deduct.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Basically, on the Xbox One all games are digital downloads. It's basically Games on Demand for everything, except in this case instead of just buying a code for a game in a retail shop you can buy a disc which allows you to skip downloading it.

nubbe

As long as an account with the game key is signed on you can play the game.

Same as XBLA

It's the MSRP if no account has the key.

The media is only there so you don't need to download the game and so Gamestop and Amazon has something to sell besides hardware.

Saty

Isn't there a loophole?

If any user can play a game that was activated on that console; and if you can play the game activated on a specific user on every console, then isn't the following situation possible:

You buy a retail Xbox One and go to your friend's house. You use his console and sign-in with your profile. You activate the game you bought. Now, your friend is able to play that game on his console with any profile. When you get back home, you can also play the retail game you bought because it's tied to your profile (which you used to activate the game on your friend's console).

Toki767

Isn't there a loophole?

If any user can play a game that was activated on that console; and if you can play the game activated on a specific user on every console, then isn't the following situation possible:

You buy a retail Xbox One and go to your friend's house. You use his console and sign-in with your profile. You activate the game you bought. Now, your friend is able to play that game on his console with any profile. When you get back home, you can also play the retail game you bought because it's tied to your profile (which you used to activate the game on your friend's console).

Maybe you have to be the main account on that console.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Isn't there a loophole?

The daily internet connection probably detects this and deactivates it off the original console. That's the reason for the daily check.

Do people actually think Microsoft hasn't thought about this possibility?

nubbe

Isn't there a loophole?

on 360 you need to resync the account on the console you use it.
So it gets deactivated if you use it on another machine.

Mithos

Major Nelson: Can play used games on different Xbox w/o fee but in your profile only

That's playing a game you already own. Playing a used game would be if my friend can play it without paying for it or using my account.

Isn't there a loophole?

This is done all the time for XBOX DLC and is the only way to share DLC. It doesn't get you banned, they can't prove who is sharing what with whom or how. It happens. It's NOT very convenient though, because you have to keep your account on someone else's system, which is not secure. At all.

Isn't there a loophole?

I do this all the time with my brother on the 360 with XBLA games.

Not sure if it works with Games on Demand, though.

Well I'm still as confused since yesterday, can we buy and sell games as normal? Can we buy a preowned game as normal?

Not a hard question to answer is it!?

Xbox One definitely isn;t for me. I'm a divorced Dad and me and my kid tend to share/swap the games that we buy. I can only imagine my ex-wifes face when he tells her that Daddy has to be there for him to play games :). Seriously though, there must be a ton of two home families for which this will be a deal breaker.

Also, does this mean that stores will still be able to sell used games, but the price you pay will inevitably go up because you will pay in store, and then pay an additional fee (which I bet Microsoft has promised publishers a 50/50 split on) to activate and play the game?

Edit:In response to the above, I agree. Mums/Dads get fucking confused as it is. Imagine a guy in store trying to explain to them how this shit works. I doubt many game store employees will even fully understand it. And if they don't explain it properly, cue a shit ton of angry parents descending on their doorsteps...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I honestly don't see why Gamestop, GAME etc will stock the Xbox One if this and the "propriety trade in system" (online cloud activations) are true:

- Gets rid of a huge part of their business model
- Hardware margins are pitiful

What's the benefit to them?

It's more of an ultimatum.

The only way to sell second hand games on Xbox One is to cooperate with MS and engage with their system of codes or whatever they're doing.

This will give Gamestop et al some cut of second hand sales, but probably not what they're used to.

So it's a choice of something or nothing. Or taking a stand and ignoring the system. Sounds like they are taking 'something', since Gamestop has commented about this and GAME has opened preorders I believe.

Lach

Anyone else feel like EA went to Nintendo with this exact scheme? And Nintendo went "No, Thank you"...?

It sounds like all these borrowing fees, online activation, etc could've been avoided if MS had required the game disc to remain within the Blu-ray drive while the games being played off the hard drive.

It really seems like all these policies are just to prevent people from installing the game to their hard drive and passing it along to all their friends, which is a legitimate concern for the industry.

hank_tree

Wondering how this works for multi account households.

I assume it's like XBLA is now. When you purchase a game it is locked to the console and the account that purchased it. So any account can play the game on the console it was purchased on. And the account that bought it can play it on any console once they are connected to Live.

I'm assuming they won't allow you to be signed in from multiple systems at once, so that still defeats people who want to borrow games.
Just like when you sign in on MSN on a different computer. Logs you out of the other machine.

Imagine if a family member turns on your Xbone at home then you get logged out at your friend's house

TheIconizer

Neo Member
Still it forces things that shouldn't be forced. Everyone will wait to price drops probably when it comes to games other than the big ones. I really feel that they reduce control over the Xbox and it's not really my console.

Artex

Banned
On the other hand, even if SONY has a similar system in terms of used games -didn't they say you could basically try ANY game via the PSN before buying it? I imagine they are going to have their very own form of renting games (pay for X amount of time, stream while playing and play instantly with the option to buy).

Marleyman

Banned
On the other hand, even if SONY has a similar system in terms of used games -didn't they say you could basically try ANY game via the PSN before buying it? I imagine they are going to have their very own form of renting games (pay for X amount of time, stream while playing and play instantly with the option to buy).

They said that; let's see it in action.

Jagernaut

It sounds like all these borrowing fees, online activation, etc could've been avoided if MS had required the game disc to remain within the Blu-ray drive while the games being played off the hard drive.

It really seems like all these policies are just to prevent people from installing the game to their hard drive and passing it along to all their friends, which is a legitimate concern for the industry.

That is what it sounds like to me. They want to be able to tout that you can switch from one game to another without changing discs, but the only way this could work is by locking the games to your account. If they allowed you to unlock the games from your account and transfer ownership to someone else WITHOUT paying Microsoft, this wouldn't be bad at all. But since they control the whole process you can't sell your games without going through them. If Microsoft or a partner (GameStop?) says they will only give you $10 credit for your new game that you don't want to keep you have no other alternative.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think this will end up effecting me much but that doesn't take away from the fact that I think it's a terrible decision.

One of the worst things about this is you just know they wont explain any of this during the e3 presentation. Just after, at a bunch of different sites again leading to more confusion and mixed msgs.

They'd rather you found about this shit after you've already bought it and yeah i get thats how these companies operate but it still makes my blood boil.

It looks to me like the roles of physical media be:
1. saves bandwidth on installation
2. acts as a glorified, infinite coupon for the game

I wouldn't support the xbone if I was GAME or Gamestop. PS4 will serve the same market anyway so there's nothing to lose there. Don't let MS (and a host of third parties I'm sure) bully you like this.

It's nice to loan a buddy a game every now and then. From what I'm seeing, there's a way to do it that isn't really convenient.

So, that kinda stinks. It's not the worst thing that can happen, but it's just getting in the way of having fun.

That is what it sounds like to me. They want to be able to tout that you can switch from one game to another without changing discs, but the only way this could work is by locking the games to your account. If they allowed you to unlock the games from your account and transfer ownership to someone else WITHOUT paying Microsoft, this wouldn't be bad at all. But since they control the whole process you can't sell your games without going through them. If Microsoft or a partner (GameStop?) says they will only give you $10 credit for your new game that you don't want to keep you have no other alternative.

What would be cool is an Auction House where Microsoft takes a set amount from each transaction (the equivalent of their royalty on a new copy), and the publisher also charges a fee that they can set at will (much like Gamestop charges a markup from what they pay for a used game and what they sell it for). Once you sell your game, you lose access to it, the other person gets a digital copy, and your disc is now a pretty AOL coaster. And the seller gets store credit, not $.

Marleyman

Banned
What would be cool is an Auction House where Microsoft takes a set amount from each transaction (the equivalent of their royalty on a new copy), and the publisher also charges a fee that they can set at will (much like Gamestop charges a markup from what they pay for a used game and what they sell it for). Once you sell your game, you lose access to it, the other person gets a digital copy, and your disc is now a pretty AOL coaster. And the seller gets store credit, not $.

Microsoft should hire you; that is a great idea.

Guevara

Hey buddy can I borrow a game?

Oh I'll also need your account info and password too thx.

Oh and you can't use your new console until I'm done, hope that's ok.

Lol

Ponn

Banned
You can always give your friend your account info and let them play....

I never liked the idea of giving my login info for game sharing this gen. Doing it next gen with this system in place and your retail games tied to your profile would be a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

Putting my profile on my friends console when taking games over I have no issue with. I do this now so I can play my Live Arcade games at my friends house, and he can use my profile to watch TV via my Sky Subscription. As for used games, I don't tend to buy many but I'll wait and see what their "service" is before burning a Microsoft effigy. Wired and Engadget had similar articles about the PS4 after their conference, with vague answers that dodge the question. Sony were just fortunate to not have silly people like Phil Harrison making conflicting and damaging claims when nothing should have been said yet.

Top Bottom