• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

SirNinja

Between this and Valkyria Chronicles PC, it's like all my non-Panzer-Dragoon gaming dreams are coming true.

maxcriden

Wasn't this announcement more or less expected? Nintendo teased it for way too long for it not to happen. It was just a matter of when.

Good for you, but everyone saw this coming.

Oh, I didn't mean I predicted this by any means! Sorry to have come off that way. All I meant was that it's funny to me to think just one year ago I was so psyched for this, and now it's actually happening.

Tom_Cody

How sweet it is.
Europe only collector's edition:
B1tcoCtCIAE08SN.jpg:large
Fuck Europe.

bomma_man

Unlike OOT there were no terrible prerendered areas in MM, but that has the unfortunate side effect of denying us some lovely brand new areas ala OOT3D. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Damn! My wife and I went through some hard times this year, and I had to sell my 3DS over the summer. What bugged me the most about selling it was I knew there would be a good chance of Majora's Mask coming to the 3DS! ARRRGHH!! Hope you guys enjoy it!

rekameohs

Banned
Unlike OOT there were no terrible prerendered areas in MM, but that has the unfortunate side effect of denying us some lovely brand new areas ala OOT3D. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Good point. Remastered Castle Town looked fantastic, and I doubt they'll put as much effort into remastered Clock Town since it's already been modeled.

Bogeypop

Just woke up to this. Was reading some of the thread and looks like I'm not the only one who held out on a re-playthrough of MM in hopes of a 3DS version being announced. I LIKE the boxart in poster form better than I do as actual boxart, something about Link I don't like. Also, I don't really like the new digital clock, but besides all those nit-picky gripes you best believe I'm excited. :p

Illucio

Banned
Surprised by how quick they're bringing it over. Really hoping NoA doesn't gold-ize the box art, though.

The original Majoras Mask re-used a bunch of assets from Ocarina of Time. Because they already had those assets from Ocarina of Time 3D, they just did the same thing they did numerous years ago and re-used a bunch of OOT3D assets.

Majoras Mask only took 2 years to make, and because Grecco already has the game itself done. All they had to do is re-use a ton of assets and update and make the remaining assets. But they took all this extra time to remake the clock into something more easier to read (and I personally like it's newer look better, I just miss the iconic look of the hour clock.)

So it wasn't a matter of how quick they could had brought it over, but more how much time were they going to sit on it so they could add more to it. And I'm glad they sat on it for as long as they did, because the game is looking beyond my expectation of what I wanted.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ha man it's like I've traveled back in time, this remake vs port argument.

"Remaster," dudes. That's the word we all agreed upon for OOT. In between remake and port, regardless of what Nintendo calls it. Goal of reproducing the original faithfully but polishing it up significantly in the process. Let's not go through this all over again.

random25

I bet we won't get a gold boxart for this one, if the original was the reference. This Zelda has a gloomy tone as compared to the other Zelda games, so they might emphasize the dark purple shade especially for this game.

But yeah, I'm just one of the hopefuls who pray that NoA won't mess this up :p

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

BEST FUCKING GAME EVER MAN

BEST

MAN

AAAHHHH

Illucio

Banned
OOT 3D is a upgraded port. The base game, geometry and things like that are the exact same assets in the N64 version. They ported it to the 3DS and then added the upgrades on top of it.

But they added 2 new features to the game:

The Masks to help give players hints

And the Boss Battle Challenge Mode at Link's House.

All while giving the game a graphical overhaul.

I consider that a graphical remake, not a graphical enhanced port. Mainly because by adding just 1 small improvement or feature that makes this game completely different from the original, thus I considered it a graphical remake. :/

Clefargle

Wrong and I don't like your attitude saying "deal with it".

A remake is when you redo the game from scratch for new hardware. A remake would be things like this:

These are ports:

These are enhanced ports:

Port is a conversion to another platform. Enchanced ports add bonuses and features on top of that. Remakes are brand new games (get it, they are 're-making' the game).

Sure, I guess that makes sense. I'll de-attitude my original post.

BriGuy

Really didn't like this when it released, but by then I was firmly in Dreamcast Land and had a real tough time going back. Maybe I should give it another shot.

zeldablue

Aw lawd!

Hnnnng!

All this new art makes me want to actually start that Majora's mask comic I wanted to do. ;___;

Nintendo I loooove you! Fan artist hype mode activated!

random25

Aw lawd!

Hnnnng!

All this new art makes me want to actually start that Majora's mask comic I wanted to do. ;___;

Nintendo I loooove be you! Fan artist hype mode activated!

Post some of your work here, please! Would love to see more artworks from Majora's Mask.

Prisoner

Oh, I didn't mean I predicted this by any means! Sorry to have come off that way. All I meant was that it's funny to me to think just one year ago I was so psyched for this, and now it's actually happening.

Fair enough. I don't mean to tread on your excitement.

(I'm psyched too!)

The 3 day cycle was great. Every character had a unique story and it really made the game feel alive like no other game I've played. The ways you can alter each individuals path is amazing to this day.

I fucking love this game.

Maedhros

I never played Ocarina of Time for more than 30 min. And never played this too...

Just bought OOT 3D (and Mario Kart 7).

javac

Seda, destroyer of dreams D:

Just messing with ya, knew it was to good to be true :(. Thought that they might have found a loophole, although one hope does exist...reversible cover :D
Steelbook looks nice too I guess.
Thanks for all the HQ art btw, drool worthy stuff.

Pociask

Can't tell from what I've seen, but it looks like maybe they pulled the camera back a little? What I mean is, when I tried playing MM on the Wii VC, I felt way too close to Link - to the point where I couldn't see enough of what was going on around me. I hope it's a bit further zoomed out perspective on this... edition.

Rizific

Huh, I never played majoras mask on n64. I've always heard GAF sing praises about it, looks like I'll be in for a treat.

Top Bottom