• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man takes selfie with 3yo black boy, makes racist jokes, gets fired & plays victim

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what started it off:

OGJhYWZkNTA5OCMvWndiZGo1QmZDSGp1Rmx0WkJYQ0lKeTA5MXlrPS8weDU6OTAweDgyNS85MDB4ODIwL2ZpbHRlcnM6cXVhbGl0eSg3MCkvaHR0cDovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy95bXZsbnk0MGhqb2VwNW1zZHl6MDd2MGFoMnM5dGw3cGZ1YXE1bHl5cTNiZ2hpb3g3YmttdTV3bGpzb2ltMWkxLmpwZw==.jpg

After a white man posted to Facebook an image of himself with his colleague's 3-year-old, accompanied by racist comments both from his friends and himself, people who caught wind of the viral story got justifiably pissed.

Facebook friends of Gerod Roth, also known as Geris Hilton, proffered a range of extremely offensive comments, including "I didn't know you were a slave owner," "'But Massuh, I dindu nuffin,'" and "Send him back dude those fuckers are expensive."

In response to, "Dude where the hell did you get a black kid??" Roth wrote, "He was feral" (which, incidentally, garnered six likes).

Then the mother found out and started a hashtag:

First and foremost, Sydney Jade, the mother of Cayden, the little boy in the picture, started the hashtag #HisNameIsCayden in defiance of the derogatory and objectifying remarks which accompanied Roth's photos of her boy — and it took off.

Next, him and a friend of his who made jokes were fired:

Next, Roth, aka Hilton, lost his job at Polaris Marketing Group in Atlanta, Georgia, where he and Jade worked together.

Emily Irene Red, the woman who wrote, "I didn't know you were a slave owner," was also fired from her job at The Conch Republic Grill, the Root reports

Finally, he decided that he was also a victim:

Roth did not make matters better for himself when he went on Fox 5 to say the comments were taken out of context and that he'd been targeted, just like Cayden had.

But it was discovered that he has previously posted jokes about Dylann Roof and Trayvoning memes.

Here's the article: http://mic.com/articles/126353/whit...-3-year-old-here-s-how-his-family-fought-back

Here's a Huffington Post article about him: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kat-blaque/why-you-shouldnt-forgive-_1_b_8256412.html

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Racist comments taken out of context...

Absolutely. Sure. Tell me the context you meant for them to be in.

I'll wait over here...

Dice//

Banned
Classy!

I don't get it, if you want to say SHIT, and I do mean shit, like this why would you do it on a PUBLIC FUCKING MEDIUM.

orochi91

Holy shit.

These people all got fired.

Social media is terrifying at times, it's so damn efficient at outing idiots.

I can kind of get making egregiously offensive jokes to test the limits of what is socially acceptable... when you're some shit in middle school.

Something something, outrage culture, something something, mob mentality, something something, not really racist, something something, they don't deserve to have jobs taken away.

I won't shed a single tear for this prick or any other racist trash who gets what's coming to them because they can't just not be racist trash.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
I'm not a fan of social media( FB,Twitter,IG), but I'm glad it exists so people like him can get outted in which repercussions can happen. Victim my ass...

Lol, taken out of context.
Apparently some people think facebook is like a private talk between friends. It isn't. It's more like shouting to someone across a room full of people, and saying offensive things on it can get you fired. I don't see why this is so hard for some people to understand.
I'm just waiting for someone to claim first amendment protection!

I bet you there are a lot of people, some on this board. That think that the "Internet shaming " and "Mob Justice" is worse then this fuck-wit and his friends racist jokes.

Dennis

Banned
The racism aside, how fucking dumb do you have to be to do something like this?

How many years into the social media age are we and still people are doing stupid shit to torpedo their own careers.

If I was him I would have deleted all the racist comments as they came through and blocked every last one of the individuals who said those disgusting things. By not calling them out for it or taking action he condoned their behavior. Earned his firing.

Racists are not a very intelligent sort of people, are they?

Hope they all get fired and that the ramifications follow them for a long, long time.
Dog-piling on a little kid to boot, bunch of mentally inferior fucks.

Mass One

I like how he's like "I'm really upset with myself???".
I feel bad for him because I don't think the poor angel knows what he did was wrong
read racist

butalala

What's with the Roth aka Hilton stuff? Is it just a Facebook pseudonym? Whatever it is, it adds another layer to the asshole cake that is his life.

Jonm1010

Banned
I just hope the doxxing and illegal shit stays at bay this time and the internet can just allow the natural repercussions of this to play out and not poison it.

Guy is getting his comeuppance and he certainly earned it. He has some hard lessons to learn and it looks like he isnt ready to learn them based on that shit victim card attempt.

A lot of times I am iffy about people being fired for social fuck ups in their private lives but this is a marketing agency. And the actions are pretty damn clear, so I think there is stronger justification here then in a lot of past instances I have read about.

Two Words

If I were fired for making public racist comments, I wouldn't try and make those public racist comments even more public...

User1608

Banned
I bet you there are a lot of people, some on this board. That think that the "Internet shaming " and "Mob Justice" is worse then this fuck-wit and his friends racist jokes.
They won't say anything because they are cowardly and get mad when people call this kind of thing as it is: Racist and and yet another example of racism. PC? No, it's racist, don't downplay my free speech to call out something that is true.
*edit* I will apologize if this come off as an incoherent rant; just really sick and tired of bigotry in general.

A lot of times I am iffy about people being fired for social fuck ups in their private lives but this is a marketing agency. And the actions are pretty damn clear, so I think there is stronger justification here then in a lot of past instances I have read about.

Plus it was directed towards a co-worker's child, so that would have created problems in the future if he wasn't fired.

Nola

This is just deplorable. So glad those people were fired.

Also what is it with people working in marketing who put racist comments on social media? Remember that girl who was flying to South Africa and tweeted that she hoped not to get AIDS? I mean, these people work in MARKETING, they should know how social media works. Ignorant idiots got what they deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom