• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man takes selfie with 3yo black boy, makes racist jokes, gets fired & plays victim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose in specific cases context matters yes... but on the grand scheme when I look at the forest instead of individual trees it leaves a bad fucking taste in my mouth.

Again, in this case it seems like it was just a racist dude getting fired without much of a push from the net. Get fucked racist dude.

Edit:

This thread is neither the time, nor the place for me to take a triumphant stand against internet justice and it took me way too long to realize that. Sorry.

Get fucked racist dude.

Actually you are wrong here. I was following this story a few days ago when it first happened and people were actively searching out for him and his friend's employers and contacting them. This is well before any articles were written about it. So this is definitely a case of "Mob Justice".

In cases like this where people are simply using the info that's publicly available and alerting their employers about it. I see nothing wrong with it. However when it crosses over to doxxing them, or involving family members, or death threats then that's another thing entirely.

Slayven

I really think the people that defend this only defend it because they can see themselves doing the same thing and don't want the responsibility of their actions landing on them.

I really think the people that defend this only defend it because they can see themselves doing the same thing and don't want the responsibility of their actions landing on them.
To be fair, it's hard not to say certain things in the heat of the moment/when you're drunk/if you're upset/while breathing oxygen..

Frodo

I think its funnier how deluded some of them are.

Rather than just saying, Sorry, I need to work on myself and become a respectable adult. You get the... Well its just a joke. I'm not racist. Well I didn't mean it like that. Stop calling me out. This is what it should be. Take the consequences for your actions and amend it.

That's the funny thing about Out of Context Racism. Even when put into context it is still racism.

Yep. Or have already done it and are fearful it will come back and bite them

I think its funnier how deluded some of them are.

Rather than just saying, Sorry, I need to work on myself and become a respectable adult. You get the... Well its just a joke. I'm not racist. Well I didn't mean it like that. Stop calling me out. This is what it should be. Take the consequences for your actions and amend it.
Yeah, the "being called racist is worse than actually being racist" thing.

I can't even remember a time someone did something racist and then owned up to it when caught. It's weird because "I'm definitely racist, I'm going to start working on this right now" would be such a better response.

Right. But it's funny how you people always jump into threads like this to point out how wrong this all is. Well done! You're so concerned about where this could go and others are comparing it to lynch mobs with such fervor. It's beautiful. Tell me, for all the gnashing of teeth that people on the internet talk about in regards to witch hunts and so forth, the giant threads on reddit specifically where so many white people post. When have any of you gone into such a fervor over defending the innocence of black people? Why is it that when these things come up. A child, a child is being bullied and made fun of because of something he had no choice in. You all jump to the bullies feelings, livelihood and richest of all, mental well being?

You all seem to be so educated on the affects of lynching. I'm curious, have you ever researched the effects of racism....the links to physical problems, social problems, emotional problems? Mental problems? Or is racism just "being mean" like so many of you believe. That is has no real world consequences when someones racist? I know why you people think that way, because it doesn't affect you. You get your nice cozy bubbles and you can be as blind as you want to the suffering of others, that in a thread about a child being shat on. The arguments are about the words used, whether things are actually racist or not, and of course; derailment about "The poor white person is going to be mistreated now".Let's not talk about what happened, lets talk about hypotheticals and other things. Because then it's almost like it never happened!

It is terrifying how in completely cut and dry situations such as this, you all are still making such reaches to give someone like that the benefit of the doubt or worry about their well being. But not the child's. i mean, sorry; the black mans life and well being. You should do some introspection and ask yourself why this is the time and the place to be talking about some flat out ignorant fools feelings.

*bro-hug*

akira28

To be fair, it's hard not to say certain things in the heat of the moment/when you're drunk/if you're upset/while breathing oxygen..

at work tho. if this is him with his professional "around other adults" filter on, what kind of bullshit does he get up to on his own "just fucking around" time?

also the use of "dindu nuffin" to me says some of the people he associates with are pieces of shit. Slave jokes just come out of nowhere, they probably have never joked about that kind of stuff before. Inside jokes among friends never follow the same recurring common themes, this was obviously a singular one off event. never will happen again...

He's as much a victim of his own actions as the child is.
Of course he thinks he's a victim of the internet. He has to remember than none of this would have happened if he wasn't such a self satisfied social media fuckface.

If he has black friends, why is being near a black child a postable selfie event?

RK9039

Good, fuck 'em.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could defend this rationally.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
he wasn't put in jail. he was fired for being a racist asshole. no one infringed on his rights. the public just no longer accepts that shit. the company wants no part of it.

he can say whatever he wants. but that doesnt mean people cant respond in the same way. he got socially boxed out, not put in jail.

Actually you are wrong here. I was following this story a few days ago when it first happened and people were actively searching out for him and his friend's employers and contacting them. This is well before any articles were written about it. So this is definitely a case of "Mob Justice".

In cases like this where people are simply using the info that's publicly available and alerting their employers about it. I see nothing wrong with it. However when it crosses over to doxxing them, or involving family members, or death threats then that's another thing entirely.

I think people need to define "mob justice". AFAIK, nobody has doxxed him, sent him death threats, or involved his family members in a negative light. If someone had done so, that's shitty and garbage of them, but that's not really "mob justice" unless there's an actual mob and not a few disgruntled people.

qcf x2

The fucked up part is that nobody does this in threads about gay people and sexual assault. But race...everyones got some explanation as to why it isn't racism. As if by somehow saying "Yeah this is racism and we should as a society do something about it", just turns to random philosophical bullshit.

Imagine that. Imagine a bunch of people, companies like Google, Apple, Microsoft, Reddit(lol), all lobbying congress to enact laws to punish such behaviour. Imagine having a day where Google.com was about black people. Could you imagine the...outrage. I've noticed something, black people in themselves don't matter unless it somehow involves white people. "You want change. Good luck doing it without us." Is what they always say, and it's made even funnier by the fact that it's true, because white people hold all the power. Because it was set up that way. And so there's this smugness about it all, "You can't enact laws that could potentially hurt white people for being racist" and "If it doesn't involve us, we don't really care to be honest".

That's why I don't even give a fuck anymore. Yell it from the rooftops I say when you see racism. At least we have that!

I totally agree.

Also, it's plain to see that things are NOT getting better. That teens and young adults are even more open with their racism than their parents were (thanks in large part to social media) is a horrifying truth.

Two Words

I disagree with anyone getting fired over any type of comment over social media. What you say on your own time is your own business. No matter how stupid or disgusting the comments are.
Lets test this absolute statement.

Employee X says he wants to decapitate his boss and rape his boss' daughter on Twitter. He is promptly fired by his boss. Was the firing justified? You cannot dismiss it as an absurdly extreme example because you made an absolute statement.

NastyBook

giphy.gif
I was originally gonna go cheap with "lol @ autocorrect," but it looks like it paid off to be creative. :D

I don't get how this needs defending. 99.9% of jobs out there would fire you if they heard/read you making racist commments. This isn't a new thing. Whether it was internet justice or not doesn't mean a damn thing. They deserve to get fired.

Analyzing whether a racist statement on its face is racist or not. And you want people to go BEYOND the context (lol), and into the personality of the person who said it.

aQZHyh.jpg

Lol, seriously, why start analyzing whether he was joking (in a hilarously dark fucking way) or being serious? Shouldn't he know better.

n0razi

I mean, these people work in MARKETING, they should know how social media works. Ignorant idiots got what they deserved.

Have you met the typical marketing grad? I think the only requirement to get a marketing degree is to be in a greek organization and be able to do a keg stand.

BriGuy

Also, it's plain to see that things are NOT getting better. That teens and young adults are even more open with their racism than their parents were (thanks in large part to social media) is a horrifying truth.
Completely disagree. The fact that this is a story at all, the fact that this type of behavior is met overwhelmingly with disdain, and the fact these actions have real and lasting consequences is proof positive that things ARE getting better. No one would have given two shits about this level of causal racism in decades past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom