• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man takes selfie with 3yo black boy, makes racist jokes, gets fired & plays victim

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkramz

whats worst are his comments on his page. some dude went like:

"you know what? im #TeamGeris , im supporting you. white power"

The other posts are shitty. I was just questioning if feral on it's own would have been that big of a deal because it didn't sounds like a big deal. Cleary people are offended here but that one caught me by surprise.

Even without the context of the other posts explain the joke of calling a kid feral. And after you explain it you'll understand why.

Jonm1010

Banned
People have been criticized harshly before for getting people fired before

I mean if the reason for the firing would have been numerous people on social media calling and harassing the business and making threats like has happened in the past, there would be some legit criticism warranted. Would there not?

However I don't think that has happened here. This honestly seems pretty straight forward and clean. Guy made a blatant race baiting post and fed into it with friends about a co-worker. Job took issue and the guy is canned. The company seems justified and he has no real leg to stand on because there really is no context I can see that makes this guy not look like a racist.

norm9

Way less smart then the Africa aids joke girl who had a funny and smart joke and got destroyed. Hope this dude gets everthing coming to him.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Another story about racist fucks in America? Must be Tuesday.

There's not point in feigning surprise by this. This shit happens everyday, and is more widespread than folks want to acknowledge.

I'm glad these assholes lost their jobs. Ok at the point in my life where I am just done with racists. Their bullshit, toxic thinking affects lives everyday, and I'm supposed to feel empathy for them when they get what's coming to them? Fuck that, and fuck them.

The beauty of the social media era is that racist pieces of shit are tripping over themselves to voice their shit to their likeminded friends. And yet, no matter how many times these idiots get fired, and ruin their careers, the next set of racists never fail to fall into the same shitstorm. And I LOVE it. Only in that I hope one day it sinks in that we will not tolerate this crap any longer in this country. It may be a small number of us, but one day we'll outnumber the people that are tolerant of casual and overt racism.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Roth did not make matters better for himself when he went on Fox 5 to say the comments were taken out of context and that he'd been targeted, just like Cayden had.

He's right, he is being targeted... specifically because he's a motherfucking racist.

Everyone in that comment section was racist, holy shit, is that a record?
No one is keeping score unfortunately but that's a huge amount of racists in one thread.
I see the part of the thread where people ask "is it really racist though????" is already starting.
Context does matter.

In here the context is used to describe a fellow co-worker's 3 year old son. Yeah, it's pretty racist IMO especially in the context of the other comments. He knew what he was getting into.

mad-max-feral-kid.jpg

Is Miller a racist?

Oh god just stop it already. You are either dense or trying to be contrarian.

Even without the context of the other posts explain the joke of calling a kid feral
If someone asked where you got a kid, saying he's feral is like saying you took the kid in like a stray kitten you found. I wouldn't think much of it. Heck I've made a comment before how my toddler was like a puppy. I didn't think I was insulting my son at the time.

Spinifex

In Australia at least, 'feral' isn't a specifically racist term. It's mostly used to describe unruly people / children.

Used in the context of this dude, it absolutely is racist, and arguably the worst comment out of an extremely racist bunch.

I've had many a coworker bring unruly kids into the workplace.. They run amok all throughout the day... Referring to them as feral I'm sure has been joked about before. Race wasn't the issue.

i can understand why you wouldn't think much of it.

do you understand why some of us get a Kojima style ! over our heads when reading it?
Yes. I was just asking if there was some other meaning I wasn't aware of that had deeper roots. In the context of the other replies he's engaging along with the others. On it's own it seems harmless.

If someone asked where you got a kid, saying he's feral is like saying you took the kid in like a stray kitten you found. I wouldn't think much of it. Heck I've made a comment before how my toddler was like a puppy. I didn't think I was insulting my son at the time.

holy shit dude you can't just remove the context. Yes in a vacuum the word "feral" is by itself not racist. Nobody is saying that. The reason that word, in this situation, is raising so many eye brows is because of the context of the situation. I don't understand why this needs to be explained. The word "black" in itself is not racist. I have a black pen. I have a black shirt. But if I post a picture of an african american person and say "typical fucking black" it's probably going to cause a stir. No, you are not a racist for referring to your son as feral. Don't worry.

danm999

In Australia at least, 'feral' isn't a specifically racist term. It's mostly used to describe unruly people / children.

Used in the context of this dude, it absolutely is racist, and arguably the worst comment out of an extremely racist bunch.

Or the Senate.

But seriously, feral has some pretty nasty connotations. Add those connotations to how Africans are often negatively compared to animals and....

Well it's not like calling someone a fox, or saying someone is a real work horse.

And in the context where the guy and all of his friends seem to be in some mad arms race to dehumanise and humiliate this kid as much as they are I cannot fathom how anybody can look at that and see anything but racism.

I've had many a coworker bring unruly kids into the workplace.. They run amok all throughout the day... Referring to them as feral I'm sure has been joked about before. Race wasn't the issue.

Is there any indication whatsoever the kid is unruly?

Dude explain why he would call the kid feral instead of saying he was for a coworker. Obviously he decided to make a joke, so think about that joke for a second

Jonm1010

Banned
If the guy didn't have the Trayvoning picture and then some other posts that imply his inner racism, I could see the argument being swung that "feral" may not be meant in a racist context. That possibly others are projecting their interpretation as being the true intention of the the speaker without justification.

However seeing the guys history it becomes clear that he clearly has some serious racist streaks. So the likelihood of the "feral" comment being relatively innocent seems impossibly low.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Or the Senate.

But seriously, feral has some pretty nasty connotations. Add those connotations to how Africans are often negatively compared to animals and....

Well it's not like calling someone a fox, or saying someone is a real work horse.

And in the context where the guy and all of his friends seem to be in some mad arms race to dehumanise and humiliate this kid as much as they are I cannot fathom how anybody can look at that and see anything but racism.

Stop dude, you shouldn't have to explain to people why the term would be offensive. They either know or they should know.

Then the proper comment a non racist would say is:
"All these kids running amok, they're pretty wild at that age."
You might have a leg to stand on there if you made a comment out of the blue.

Here?
He uses the term "feral" in context to this:
In response to, "Dude where the hell did you get a black kid??" Roth wrote, "He was feral" (which, incidentally, garnered six likes).
He is referring to the child as a wild animal.
He is clearly RACIST, stop trying to deny it

Fj0823

I don't understand why you're trying to spin that one bit as a harmless joke when we have the context of the other posts.

Yes, as a joke it might have work on its own, something like "A wild kid has appeared!" and both of them looking surprised in the pic, but paired with all that racist shit?, the intention is quite clear

If the guy didn't have the Trayvoning picture and then some other posts that imply his inner racism, I could see the argument being swung that "feral" may not be meant in a racist context. That possibly others are projecting their interpretation as being the true intention of the the speaker without justification.

However seeing the guys history it becomes clear that he clearly has some serious racist streaks. So the likelihood of the "feral" comment being relatively innocent seems impossibly low.

So the whole conversation he had on the picture didn't give you any clues?

ISOM

The other posts are shitty. I was just questioning if feral on it's own would have been that big of a deal because it didn't sounds like a big deal. Cleary people are offended here but that one caught me by surprise.

Context matters. Feral on it's own is not racist but when you're calling someone of another race a wild animal when they're doing nothing then yes it's safe to assume that you're being racist.

holy shit dude you can't just remove the context. Yes in a vacuum the word "feral" is by itself not racist. Nobody is saying that. The reason that word, in this situation, is raising so many eye brows is because of the context of the situation. I don't understand why this needs to be explained. The word "black" in itself is not racist. I have a black pen. I have a black shirt. But if I post a picture of an african american person and say "typical fucking black" it's probably going to cause a stir. No, you are not a racist for referring to your son as feral. Don't worry.
I'm asking if calling the kid feral and him being black is racist or bad on it's own or only bad within the context of the other comments. Say the other comments didn't exist other than where did you get the kid. Would this be a huge issue still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom