• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Movie Showcase Announced for Tomorrow (Posters Revealed)

MAtgS

Also, another about the whole Mario being a failure at first thing:

Let's not act like it ain't accurate.

shiru

Banned
I'm the first in line against the resetera horde, but you guys can't be serious arguing about fucking Mario lore.
No one's doing that of course. I guess the need to be snarky is too strong that people invent things out of thin air.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
No one's doing that of course. I guess the need to be snarky is too strong that people invent things out of thin air.
You can't complain about snarky comments with a snarky comment.

You just need to look a few paces up and people are complaining about Peach being changed.

shiru

Banned
You can't complain about snarky comments with a snarky comment.

You just need to look a few paces up and people are complaining about Peach being changed.
Only I didn't make anything up as an excuse for condescension. Talking about major character changes hardly consitutes in-depth lore discussion. It's perfectly valid to dislike the movie and it's portrayal of iconic characters. Were people this annoying to those who complained about the original movie Sonic design? Don't people generally dislike it when vg movie adaptations change established characters and story from the games they are based on? eg Street Fighter the Movie.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Only I didn't make anything up as an excuse for condescension. Talking about major character changes hardly consitutes in-depth lore discussion. It's perfectly valid to dislike the movie and it's portrayal of beloved characters.
There is no in-depth lore, it's Peach getting kidnapped and Mario saving her. That's the lore. That's all the lore.

It's perfectly valid, but the movie is not out yet. We have no idea apart from some weird head sizes and different voices.

shiru

Banned
There is no in-depth lore, it's Peach getting kidnapped and Mario saving her. That's the lore. That's all the lore.

It's perfectly valid, but the movie is not out yet. We have no idea apart from some weird head sizes and different voices.
You said people were discussing Mario lore? uh. And well, the trailer is enough for me to avoid this movie. I didnt enjoy anything about it. Not like I expected any different since it's being made by Illumination who I loathe.

Sleepwalker

People need to let this shit go. It’s not happening. Pratt sounds fine. I’m excited after watching that trailer

Pretty much this but also I saw Charles Martinet at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” in his classic Mario voice, I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “Oki doki? letsago? oki doki?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me while saying "letsago". I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by crying in Mario's voice really loud.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Pretty much this but also I saw Charles Martinet at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” in his classic Mario voice, I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “Oki doki? letsago? oki doki?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me while saying "letsago". I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by crying in Mario's voice really loud.

8lWOjwE.gif

While I hope the movie will turn out well, I'm more interested in the 4K HDR aspect. I think this will be a movie that HDR enthusiasts will want to see and own. I've been re-watching a lot of my digital 4K movies on a newly acquired Apple 4k streaming device. It's wild, but I can actually see a lot of notable improvements in picture quality over moviesanywhere and vudu. I've also noticed for me personally that lot of the best looking HDR movies are animated, which is why I'm really interested in seeing this one. On a side note, one of my favorite movies to watch in HDR is The Mitchells vs. the Machines (The New Croods looks really good too).

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
While I hope the movie will turn out well, I'm more interested in the 4K HDR aspect. I think this will be a movie that HDR enthusiasts will want to see and own. I've been re-watching a lot of my digital 4K movies on a newly acquired Apple 4k streaming device. It's wild, but I can actually see a lot of notable improvements in picture quality over moviesanywhere and vudu. I've also noticed for me personally that lot of the best looking HDR movies are animated, which is why I'm really interested in seeing this one. On a side note, one of my favorite movies to watch in HDR is The Mitchells vs. the Machines (The New Croods looks really good too).
I'm not sure why they're not releasing these trailers in 4K HDR.

Also, surprised Nintendo doesn't have a Mario game lined up with it. Especially considering that last one was more than 5 years ago.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why they're not releasing these trailers in 4K HDR.

Also, surprised Nintendo doesn't have a Mario game lined up with it. Especially considering that last one was more than 5 years ago.
It's a shame, but perhaps once we get closer to release next year they'll have a some trailers in 4K.

Jada_Li

Banned

Is that all the lore? Some have speculated that the current video game Princess Peach doesn't need rescuing despite Bowser "kidnapping" her. It was even referenced in Death Stranding about a princess who didn't need to be rescued and never was in any danger all along. Just take a look at the ending in Super Mario Odyssey. At this point in the Mario universe both Bowser and Mario want to marry Princess Peach. It actually looked like Peach was going to marry Bowser...willingly. It seems Peach is just playing along for Mario's sake or whatever reason. Then Mario tries to propose to Peach and she considers but then Bowser proposes again and then they start fighting over her like she's a prize to be won. So she leaves them both annoyed but then shows kindness in telling them to let's all go home but Mario like...not Bowser, lol.

Generally speaking: Now this new movie is rediscovering an older version of Peach not known in the video games. Likely because this is the origin story and it doesn't make any sense to have her not be capable of defending or at least attempting to defend her kingdom and its citizens. It is her responsibility, after all, not only being the princess but the guardian of the Mushroom Kingdom. Regardless, she can still be the damsel in distress at some point, or not, in the movie. It really depends on how they want to direct this movie and how much they want to differ or keep some things the same. However, it's actually very likely she will get kidnapped by Bowser eventually.

Mkay. I don't like how the movie looks so I don't need to concede anything. I personally would have loved to watch a Mario movie more in line with the Mario & Luigi games, with the characters being mostly mute and only mumbling pseudo italian (voiced by Charles Martinet of course), and relying on visual humor. Similar to Mr. Bean or a Chaplin movie. No one is gonna say the M&L games didn't work wonderfully as storytelling games, but I doubt the uncreative hacks at Illumination could even conceive anything like it. Instead we get cookie cutter pap for the masses.
It’s a movie that isn’t low budget and the goal is to make money. Your idea sounds great for a box office bomb

Umbasaborne

Banned
I for one am outraged at this movie!!! How could they give princess peach a smaller rack!? Also chris pratt bad!!!! Please watch my youtube video where i super imposed game voices into the trailer, its called “I FIXED the super mario movie”

/s

This movie has really brought out the troglodytes on social media.

Top Bottom