• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Digital Graphic Novel Sale at Amazon

Jag

Curious about this as well, I didn't see any way personally though. Has anyone had any issues with banks locking out their cards due to multiple purchases? I saw that issue a lot during the XBOX BC sale and would prefer for that not to happen cause there are a lot of books I'd love to pick up!

The answer is all your one-click orders go to a pending queue and at some point they are rung up as a single order. Not sure how long between orders it takes. I just put a bunch in my wishlist and bought them all at once.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Never been a huge comic reader but I've been thinking of getting more into it, and specifically thinking about starting a digital collection, for a while now. So I went a little crazy:

Star Wars Vol 1-4
Darth Vader: Vol 1-4
Vader Down
Han Solo
Lando
Any other good ones?

Alias Vol 1-4
Jessica Jones Vol 1

Doctor Strange (current): Vol 1-4
Doctor Strange and Doom: Triumph and Torment
Doctor Strange: The Oath

World War Hulk
Planet Hulk
Incredible Hulk: The End

The Thanos Quest
The Infinity Gauntlet
The Infinity War
Missing any of this story?)

Daredevil: Born Again
Deadpool: The Adamantium Collection - (Other Deadpool worth considering?)
Marvel 1602
The Death of Captain Marvel
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Black Panther (Coates) Vol 1-3
Hawkeye Vol 1-4
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur: Vol 1-2
Moon Knight (current): Vol 1-2
Ms. Marvel Vol 1-6
Spider-Gwen Vol 1-2
Squirrel Girl Vol 1-5
Vision: Vol 1-2

Total damage: $138. Don't tell my wife.

Although by my count it's about 57 trades and 4 omnibus-sized books. So... honestly that's a pretty incredible way to kickstart a collection.

Anything obviously missing, before I cut myself off? Keep in mind I have only limited interest in the classics - I skipped Death of Captain Marvel, Dark Phoenix and some of the other storylines because, realistically, since I didn't grow up with them I have finite patience and time for comics from the 70s-90s.

I also skipped most of the contemporary runs that struck me as being more about "find out what happens next!!" than actual emphasis on artistry and storytelling (like the Spider-Man book that was suggested earlier). Stuff like Hawkeye and Vision and Ms, Marvel and the others you see on my Buy list seemed more appealing. But that said, I'm open to spending a little more to round things out before the sale ends.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Never been a huge comic reader but I've been thinking of getting more into it, and specifically thinking about starting a digital collection, for a while now. So I went a little crazy:

Star Wars Vol 1-4
Darth Vader: Vol 1-4
Vader Down
Han Solo
Lando
Any other good ones?

Alias Vol 1-4
Jessica Jones Vol 1

Doctor Strange (current): Vol 1-4
Doctor Strange and Doom: Triumph and Torment
Doctor Strange: The Oath

World War Hulk
Planet Hulk
Incredible Hulk: The End

The Thanos Quest
The Infinity Gauntlet
The Infinity War

Daredevil: Born Again
Deadpool: The Adamantium Collection - (Other Deadpool worth considering?)
Marvel 1602
Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Black Panther (Coates) Vol 1-3
Hawkeye Vol 1-4
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur: Vol 1-2
Moon Knight (current): Vol 1-2
Ms. Marvel Vol 1-6
Spider-Gwen Vol 1-2
Squirrel Girl Vol 1-5
Vision: Vol 1-2

Total damage: $138. Don't tell my wife.

Although by my count it's about 57 trades and 4 omnibus-sized books. So... honestly that's a pretty incredible way to kickstart a collection.

Anything obviously missing, before I cut myself off? Keep in mind I have only limited interest in the classics - I skipped Death of Captain Marvel, Dark Phoenix and some of the other storylines because, realistically, since I didn't grow up with them I have finite patience and time for comics from the 70s-90s.

I also skipped most of the contemporary runs that struck me as being more about "find out what happens next!!" than actual emphasis on artistry and storytelling (like the Spider-Man book that was suggested earlier). Stuff like Hawkeye and Vision and Ms, Marvel and the others you see on my Buy list seemed more appealing. But that said, I'm open to spending a little more to round things out before the sale ends.

the only big one i see missing is whedons astonishing x men 1-4

and yeah, this is an incredible way to kickstart a collection

Toki767

I gotta stop. This Buy With 1 Click thing is dangerous.

I did want to say though that even though it's DC and not Marvel, Batman: The Complete Hush is also on sale for $7

Megatron

The Thanos Quest
The Infinity Gauntlet
The Infinity War

As far as the infinity gauntlet goes, there's the Infinity Crusade, which was the second sequal (after Infinity War) But it was pretty bad. For the infinity gauntlet itself, two trades that tie in are Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZOOPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (which was awesome and I would recommend getting this. It's set between TQ and IG I think) and Silver Surfer Infinity Gauntlet Epic collection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RFH1QK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 which was basically the regular silver surfer titles that were published at the same time as Infinity Gauntlet, and isn't that memorable.

Valtýr

Ugh, I want to buy some stuff but because the only option is to buy with 1-click, it's automatically pulling from a gift card balance I have on my account that I'm saving for something. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it charge my store card instead of using that first and there's no other way to buy this stuff. So basically I just can't buy anything. Really lame.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I just did a little math on my haul and it's about 383 individual comic issues. For $138. That's $0.36 each, ha.

And frankly, although I know this makes me incredibly entitled, that's about the right price, for me. Even stopping to admire the art, I blast through a digital comic so quickly that I don't really want to be spending $1-2 an issue, let alone the ~$4 that new stuff costs now.

the only big one i see missing is whedons astonishing x men 1-4

and yeah, this is an incredible way to kickstart a collection

As far as the infinity gauntlet goes, there's the Infinity Crusade, which was the second sequal (after Infinity War) But it was pretty bad. For the infinity gauntlet itself, two trades that tie in are Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZOOPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (which was awesome and I would recommend getting this. It's set between TQ and IG I think) and Silver Surfer Infinity Gauntlet Epic collection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RFH1QK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 which was basically the regular silver surfer titles that were published at the same time as Infinity Gauntlet, and isn't that memorable.

Thanks! Will do. Any relatively self-contained, stand-alone, or jump-on points for Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, or Wolverine you can think of off-hand? I might be willing to scoop some up and then be OFFICIALLY done, just to balance out that Daredevil and Hulk stuff I picked up.

J_Viper

I thought I was done, but it suddeny came to me that I haven't bought any classic Hulk runs, a childhood favorite hero of mine.

Anything I should check out that isn't World War Hulk or Planet Hulk? I got those already.

Also, how are the recent Miles Morales collections?

Aside from Winter Solider, any highly regarded Cap stories I should pick up?

This sale is going to spoil me so hard on digital comics when everything goes back to normal price.
Lol, this is exactly why I'm stocking up now

Dr.Social

Banned
Thanks! Will do. Any relatively self-contained, stand-alone, or jump-on points for Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, or Wolverine you can think of off-hand? I might be willing to scoop some up and then be OFFICIALLY done, just to balance out that Daredevil and Hulk stuff I picked up.

Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Spider-Man: Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut
Spider-Man/Human Torch
Wolverine By Claremont and Miller
Iron Man: Extremis
Thor: The Mighty Avenger Vol. 1 and 2

Those are all stand alone and should be easy to follow.

Megatron

Ok, my pick ups:

Old Man Logan Volume 4
Infamous Iron Man Volume 1 (This isn't even out in physical yet. I have that pre ordered on Amazon right now. I guess i'll cancel it?)
World War Hulk
Vision Vol 2
Sensational She-Hulk: The Return
Alpha Flight Classic vol 1
Excalibur the Cross Time Caper book one and two
Deadpool: World's Greatest Vol 6
Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol 1
X-Factor Epic Collection
X-Men Ghosts
New Mutants Epic Collection and Classic 2 and 3

Pretty good haul.

Aside from Winter Solider, any highly regarded Cap stories I should pick up?

I'd get Ed Brubaker's entire Cap run. It's amazing.

I've also noticed a lack of people picking up Superior Fores of Spider-Man in here. That's a really good book, worth reading. Also have noticed not many people checking out Jason Aaron's Thor run. Starts with the fantastic God Butcher arc. At the very least, pick up God Butcher and God Bomb.

Xis

Oh man I am drinking and watching Logan so I went back for more.
Picked up
Wolverine Origin & Origin II
Old Man Logan (Millar)
Old Man Logan vols 0-4 (I liked Lemire's Bloodshot)
Weapon X by Aaron (already had his Wolverine and the X-Men run).
Remender's entire Uncanny X-Force run

On top of yesterday picking up the entire modern cosmic Marvel run (including all the tie-ins like and lead-ins like X-Men: Deadly Genesis and Beta Ray Bill: Stormbreaker) and the two Vision volumes.

J_Viper

I'd get Ed Brubaker's entire Cap run. It's amazing.

I've also noticed a lack of people picking up Superior Fores of Spider-Man in here. That's a really good book, worth reading. Also have noticed not many people checking out Jason Aaron's Thor run. Starts with the fantastic God Butcher arc. At the very least, pick up God Butcher and God Bomb.

Thanks

I made sure to grab Winter Soldier, Red Menace, and Death of Captain America

Any great Apocalypse stories? Almost anything with his name on it is rated 3 & 1/2 stars and below.

BFIB

Picked up Days of Future past and Miller's Old Man Logan.
EDIT: What's a good place to start on a recent reboot of XMen? Didn't it restart a few years ago?

Toki767

For World War Hulk, are there a lot of side issues to read also?

So far I've gotten a bunch of X-Men comics, Alias, and the first volume of Punisher Max.

At around $40 spent so far.

DumbNameD

Valtýr;239076192 said:
Ugh, I want to buy some stuff but because the only option is to buy with 1-click, it's automatically pulling from a gift card balance I have on my account that I'm saving for something. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it charge my store card instead of using that first and there's no other way to buy this stuff. So basically I just can't buy anything. Really lame.
Can you use your gift card balance and then reload your Amazon balance in the same amount with your preferred payment method? Or vice versa, and add how much you want to spend to your balance with your preferred payment method first.

Psykoboy2

This brings me back to the glory days of Steam sales.

My wallet is also reminding me of how much this takes me back to those days as well.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Picked up Days of Future past and Miller's Old Man Logan.
EDIT: What's a good place to start on a recent reboot of XMen? Didn't it restart a few years ago?

Whedons Astonishing X Men
Oh man I am drinking and watching Logan so I went back for more.
Picked up
Wolverine Origin & Origin II
Old Man Logan (Millar)
Old Man Logan vols 0-4 (I liked Lemire's Bloodshot)
Weapon X by Aaron (already had his Wolverine and the X-Men run).
Remender's entire Uncanny X-Force run

On top of yesterday picking up the entire modern cosmic Marvel run (including all the tie-ins like and lead-ins like X-Men: Deadly Genesis and Beta Ray Bill: Stormbreaker) and the two Vision volumes.

good call i should have Remenders Uncanny X Force

Raguel

I bought so much stuff. Over 50 volumes of things. And I can't help but buy more. My bank saw my transactions and thought it was fraud so they put a temp hold on my card. So I used my wife's card. Some one stop me!!

Toki767

I bought so much stuff. Over 50 volumes of things. And I can't help but buy more. My bank saw my transactions and thought it was fraud so they put a temp hold on my card. So I used my wife's card. Some one stop me!!
It's the 1 Click Buying button.

They don't want you adding everything to the cart to see how much you'd be spending until it's too late.

I have my eye on Infinity War. Was that good? I also read Infinity Gauntlet and heard this was basically the sequel to it.

I didn't have much of a digital comics collection, but I guess this sale changed that.

Secret Wars
Infinity Gauntlet
Infinity War
Thanos Quest
Silver Surfer Thanos Reborn
House of M
World of M Featuring Wolverine
X-Men Epic Collection: Second Genesis
X-Men The Dark Phoenix Saga
X-Men Days of Future Past
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol 1-5
Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe
Black Panther A Nation Under Our Feet Vol 1-3
Star Wars The Thrawn Trilogy
The Star Wars
World War Hulk
Civil War
Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
Planet Hulk (Got the Promo e-mail about an hour after my first order, used it on this)

All for around $50*. I'd better stop looking at the sale page before I buy more.

* I've updated this figure 3 times after buying more stuff. Now I really need to stop.

Raguel

It's the 1 Click Buying button.

They don't want you adding everything to the cart to see how much you'd be spending until it's too late.

I have my eye on Infinity War. Was that good? I also read Infinity Gauntlet and heard this was basically the sequel to it.

I actually have never read Infinity War. Someone more well versed in it should be able to tell you in this thread. Infinity by Hickman is straight up awesome though. I love it.

hiro_x

I got
Infinity Gauntlet
Old Man Logan
Avengers vs X-Men

I'm thinking All-new Wolverine? Is it good?

Apt101

Wow these are some crazy discounts. Marvel 1602 I missed (wasn't reading anything but BPRD and Hellblazer at the time) for like $3, mine. Shit I need to stop myself before I buy more than I can read in a year. I've purchased like 15 things already.

No "Savage Sword of Conan" collections on sale? Shame. =(

Edit: Ugh, that's right, it was Dark Horse publishing the original Marvel magazine series.

Psykoboy2

Grabbed more. Ugh. Picked up all the Marvel Zombies books. Grabbed even more Deadpool. And now I'm looking at the whole run of Transformers from back in the day.

Edit: CRAP! Went back and grabbed some Alex Ross stuff. Earth X and Marvels.

Bernbaum

Have picked up years' if not a decades worth of reading. I think I now own the vast majority of Xmen books and associated titles.

I spent a bit, but have saved HUNDREDS on titles I was inevitably going to read.

Zeeman

Just bought Death of Captain Marvel, G-d Loves, Man Kills and Hulk the End on Amazon.ca, and all three say that a promotion has been applied and that I apparently got them for free. Am I just getting really lucky?

OK, weird, got $2 off on Kraven's Last Hunt, and now things seem to be back to normal

Rabbit hole is getting too deep. Wondering if I shouldn't have just gotten unlimited.

Nah. One time fee to own forever, and better quality to boot.

Unless your one of the crazy people who spent over a houndred. Though I'll admit if it were DC or Image I'd have done the same no question. So I guess my statement stands either way.

Zeeman

Btw if anyone's looking for some classic great comics, cannot recommend Simonson's run on Thor enough. Also the Captain America collection "The Captain" by Mark Gruenwald is great

DeathPeak

Ok, I cut my list down to 16... for now. I'll probably pick some more up when I get paid again.

Spider-Man Miles Morales Vol. 1
Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1-4
Doctor Strange Masterworks Vol. 1-2
Old Man Logan (Millar)
Star Wars Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Vol. 1
Star Wars: Poe Dameron Vol. 1
Vision Vol. 1-2
Daredevil Vol. 1 (Miller)

Top Bottom