• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Digital Graphic Novel Sale at Amazon

Big Brett

More than pumped, this is why I bought my iPad, more comics. Going so deep. Got a lot of the major ones mentioned here. If there's any weird offshoot things, smaller contained graphic novels, I'd be interested to hear about them. I picked up The Vision, Spider-Man: Blue, and Astonishing X-Men 1-4

I wonder why there are some Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collections missing from Kindle/Comixology. I was excites to buy as many of those as possible to eventually get the entire run but I dont want to find myself with gaps down the line.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
As a comic noob this is confusing as hell. Can someone help me choose something.

I'm into epic stories so I want bang for buck page-wise.

But I can barely piece together what stories go together. I got infinity gauntlet > infinity war - what's the quintessential marvel epic story to go for?

Is it the secret war stuff I've seen mentioned in this thread?

Is it age of apocalypse? Is that even in the sale? There's a stupid number of results when you search this.

Is spider verse an epic self contained story?

Tips please?

hiro_x

How long is this sale? Still thinking about All-new Wolverine and may Spiderman with Miles Morales.

Total damage: $138. Don't tell my wife.
That's what I thought I would do until the number and frequency of transactions triggered my bank's fraud detection and they texted us about it lol. They even called me.

I wish they offered a Kindle basket rather than having to make a purchase per book or series.

Anyone know which of the Marvel Masterworks are worth getting?

Amazing Spiderman/Lee + Kirby Fantastic Four if they are your thing generally. I mean most of them read in a slightly old fashioned way, but its pretty cool (imo) to see how a lot of characters were introduced and formed into what we know and love/hate today.

I only have Slott's She-Hulk and Vision by King so far...

Anyone know if the Star Wars and Vader books are worth getting? I'm not a massive Star Wars fan but I wouldn't mind reading some extended universe stuff.

Zakalwe

Banned
Really want to buy Old Man Logan.

I only have a laptop though, what's the best way to read kindle files on Windows 10? The app appears to be trash according to reviews.

Corrupt

Really want to buy Old Man Logan.

I only have a laptop though, what's the best way to read kindle files on Windows 10? The app appears to be trash according to reviews.
The Comixology site would be the best way I imagine. The comic reader setup is pretty good and you can link your amazon account to it.

Metalmarc

As a comic noob this is confusing as hell. Can someone help me choose something.

But I can barely piece together what stories go together. I got infinity gauntlet > infinity war - what's the quintessential marvel epic story to go for?

Is it age of apocalypse? Is that even in the sale? There's a stupid number of results when you search this.

Tips please?

It's confusing as hell for me as a newbie, like it says Volume 1, is that complete? Like do i need Volume 2, 3 as suggested? etc or is just Vol 1 enough for a small self contained story?

My example where i got stuck

Some xmen where like theres seems to be 50 volumes in this series, does that mean that you need all 50 xmen books Or can you just read any random volume (for example, Dark Phoenix i didnt buy cos the amazon suggested it was part of a series of 50 odd xmen books)

image.jpg

DEM0NWOLF

pickup

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four Vol. 1-6 by Jonathan Hickman
Punisher Max Vol. 1-5
Planet Hulk
X-men God Loves, Man Kills
X-force: Sex and Violence
Silver Surfer: Requiem
X-men: Messiah Complex
The Vision Vol. 1-2
Winter Solder Vol. 1-4
Book of Doom
Moon Knight Vol. 1-2 by Jeff Lemire

Pickup some more comics

FF Vol. 1-4 by Jonathan Hickman
Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1-4 by Joss Whedon

Corrupt

It's confusing as hell for me as a newbie, like it says Volume 1, is that complete? Like do i need Volume 2, 3 as suggested? etc or is just Vol 1 enough for a small self contained story?

Some xmen where like theres seems to be 50 volumes in this series, does that mean that you need all 50 xmen books Or can you just read any random volume (for example, Dark Phoenix i didnt buy cos the amazon suggested it was part of a series of 50 odd xmen books)

image.jpg
Yeah, it's not the best organised, Amazon has a few hiccups in that regard.

Those 50 books are all under the X-Men umbrella, comprised of different sagas, continuities and one-off books. Generally they'll try and squeeze in everything relating to the saga so you don't have to veer outside of it to understand the gist of the story, although you will probably encounter some characters and references you might not know but they shouldn't deter you.

The volumes are generally packed full of story, but since a lot of these sagas span so many comics, character comics and timelines it's hard to contain in one book. My rule of thumb is to normally buy the first volume and buy the others if I enjoyed reading it, although with everything being on sale my rule might have to go out the window.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be

image.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYHCSFO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon has a handy series thing at the top which shows if a book belongs in a series. So I've taken to just buying those where interested i.e https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01883XUZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4S98SC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It didn't do it for Avengers vs XMen but I saw a list here that I can follow: http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-...-order-guide/guide-part-16-avengers-vs-x-men/

It links to 4 books, It's Coming, the main book, a tie in book and a consequences book - all official compendiums from marvel.

Then they have much more detailed lists of individual comics or something for fans who want every detail.

My stance is the official compendiums are good enough for the companies so they're good enough for me so I will only buy those.

Didn't get my head round secret war, there doesn't seem to be an obvious series or compendium/collection and it seems to be mentioned multiple times across decades so might just ignore it.

I got a whole bunch now to keep me busy and when I'm done I might go back to reading manga which is much more straightforward!

Has Amazon or Marvel commented or advertised this sale at all?

Kind of insane how good these deals are. As a casual fan I've spent a crap ton more money than I normally would just building up a library of stuff. Feels like a Steam sale.

Here is hoping other publishers follow suit. There are a ton of Image and DC books I wouldn't be able to resist at 2-3 bucks per trade.

Bernbaum

Re: metalmark

The masterworks volumes are essentially collections in chronological publication order, irrespective of story arc. The standalone sagas like Dark Phoenix, Days of Future past, Brood War saga are collections of issues that cover that story. Some of those have continuous issues, others have gaps between published issues.

If you just want great Xmen stories, go for standalone story arcs. If you really want, you can go Xmen completist for the Claremont era (issues 94-280) as he is the master of foreboding and the long game in his storytelling. It becomes even more of a commitment following the publication of New Mutants, and you kinda need to read both to get what's going on. Actually, to be fair, New Mutants was the stronger book for a fair while there, and could be read on its own, but Uncanny Xmen relies on some big story beats from NM to make sense, particularly around the introduction of key characters.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
pickup

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four Vol. 1-6 by Jonathan Hickman
Punisher Max Vol. 1-5
Planet Hulk
X-men God Loves, Man Kills
X-force: Sex and Violence
Silver Surfer: Requiem
X-men: Messiah Complex
The Vision Vol. 1-2
Winter Solder Vol. 1-4
Book of Doom
Moon Knight Vol. 1-2 by Jeff Lemire

You are missing Hickmans FF vol 1-4, it is vital if you have Dark Reign and F4 already

Tips please?

epic story with best bang for buck?

Astonishing X Men vol 1-4 (Whedon)

and the following Jon Hickman Fantastic Four run:
Fantastic Four Dark Reign
Fantastic Four vol 1-6
FF vol 1-4

Anybody getting free comics with their prime account? I got Hawkeye 1, Darth Vader 1 and Astonishing X-Men 1 all for free and I have no kindle subscription or any sub other than prime. The only issue is that they only work in the kindle app not comiXology for some reason.

Has Amazon or Marvel commented or advertised this sale at all?

Kind of insane how good these deals are. As a casual fan I've spent a crap ton more money than I normally would just building up a library of stuff. Feels like a Steam sale.

Here is hoping other publishers follow suit. There are a ton of Image and DC books I wouldn't be able to resist at 2-3 bucks per trade.
Nope. No promotion of any kind.

Grabbed Alias too since it won't be on MU any time soon. Still have Marvel Unlimited so not going too crazy since I have access to most of this stuff.

J_Viper

Also grabbed the entire run of Thor: God of Thunder

Pretty sure I've spent over $300 at this point. I keep trying to stop myself, but these prices are irresistible.

I'm guessing huge price drops like this aren't common for digital comics

Also grabbed the entire run of Thor: God of Thunder

Pretty sure I've spent over $300 at this point. I keep trying to stop myself, but these prices are irresistible.

I've been following closely digital comics sales for 5-6 years and this is honestly unprecedented in scope.
Every now and then, there will be a great humble bundle or linewide 50-60% sale on Comixology, but nothing as deep and/or wide.

I've been following closely digital comics sales for 5-6 years and this is honestly unprecedented in scope.
Every now and then, there will be a great humble bundle or linewide 50-60% sale on Comixology, but nothing as deep and/or wide.
It honestly has to have been a mistake that it's now too late to walk back. Even all new volumes like Now! 2.0!Hawkeye vol 1 was on this massive sale.

I'm sure it's related to Marvel joining comixology unlimited and kindle unlimited. Sell as much as you can before it's all on not one but 3 netflixes.

jon bones

yeah this is like the first time someone stumbled on the very first Steam sale

it's unreal

Bought Punisher MAX, figured I didn't need anything else cause it will eventually show up on MU.

But then I got the Promo, and ended up picking up all of Priest's Black Panther.

Now I'm eyeing the Complete Clone Saga and Complete Ben Reilly Epic.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Guys, I keep buying more. Just bought a bunch of Hulk and 1602. Sale needs to end.

Comixology has really good rotating sales on particular lines (one week it's Cap, next week it's Deadpool, etc), but nothing of this scope, especially for Marvel, and nothing *this* cheap (they usually do ~ 50% off so the $9.99 collections become $4.50 or $5). Image has done two huge line-wide sales in the last few months alone; the most recent was basically a flat 65% off *everything* they published before Jan X 2017, which knocked individual issues down to ~ 70cents and also applied to already discounted collections so you could get them for $2-3.

But yeah, something of this scope with discounts *THIS* deep is insane. You'd figure they'd limit it to the stuff that was going into CMX Unlimited, or stuff that was already in Marvel Unlimited or whatever, but they even have brand new stuff that came out last week or this week in the sale, stuff that's not going to hit MU for months and CMXU for years.

jon bones

Guys, I keep buying more. Just bought a bunch of Hulk and 1602. Sale needs to end.

seriously

what i hope is my final haul, the complete collections of:
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Priest's Black Panther
Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Hickman's Fantastic Four
Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man (all 22 volumes....)
Waid's Black Widow
Fraction's Hawkeye
Lee/Jenkins Inhumans
King's The Vision
Namor: The First Mutant
Lemire's Moon Knight (what's been released)
Ms Marvel (what's been released)

Yeah, I'm at a point where I'm checking random stuff on Comixology to see if I own it already.

I'm rebuilding MU right now.

Edit: oh, hey, all of X-treme X-Men for $18. That's how low I have fallen.

you've done well - i take it you got (Dark Reign, F4 (1-6) and FF (1-4)? Make sure to use the FF piece of the reading order:

X9zUA8X.png
You're a bad influence, you know that? ;)

Back to Amazon I go

Edit: just bought all of Hickman's Marvel run sans Ultimate stuff. I'm done.

hiro_x

Okay now I'm really done.

Infinity Gauntlet
Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Guardian of the Galaxy Vol. 1- 2
All-New Wolverine Vol. 1
Avengers vs X-Men
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
Darth Vader Vol. 1-4
Spider-Man: Miles Morales Vol. 1-2

Damn you 1-click!

Edit: Yep, bought 2 more!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was under the influence and bought $100 of comics. Only thing that stopped me buying more was my credit card alert went up for too many transactions in a small time.

Question time:

I've got a 6 year old niece that is already into comic book characters (has seen most of the MCU and DCEU movies, and we already bought her this book when she was 3-4) and I'm thinking of buying a few things to get her into reading comic books proper. Already looking at picking up Moon Girl + Devil Dinosaur, Squirrel Girl, and Ms Marvel. Any other suggestions? Also, any Spider-Man suggestions for that age range?

I was under the influence and bought $100 of comics. Only thing that stopped me buying more was my credit card alert went up for too many transactions in a small time.
I think I finally figured that out: buy yourself a gift card and tap that credit to pay for these books. That would be a single transaction and would give you a budget.
(My wife just yelled "why is the bank texting me again?")

Amazing Spiderman/Lee + Kirby Fantastic Four if they are your thing generally. I mean most of them read in a slightly old fashioned way, but its pretty cool (imo) to see how a lot of characters were introduced and formed into what we know and love/hate today.

I only have Slott's She-Hulk and Vision by King so far...
I didn't check but is Byrne's She-Hulk on sale? You should get that too if it is.

Question time:

I've got a 6 year old niece that is already into comic book characters (has seen most of the MCU and DCEU movies, and we already bought her this book when she was 3-4) and I'm thinking of buying a few things to get her into reading comic books proper. Already looking at picking up Moon Girl + Devil Dinosaur, Squirrel Girl, and Ms Marvel. Any other suggestions? Also, any Spider-Man suggestions for that age range?

Spidey Vol. 1: First Day
Spidey Vol. 2: After-School Special

Might be what you are looking for, but mostly I would suggest comics from the Marvel Adventures line, which are not in this sale.

BFIB

What all should I get for Civil War? Here's what I got so far.

Spider Man Civil War
Road to Civil War
Captain America Civil War
XMen Civil War
Civil War Marvel Event

I went with the amazon recommendation page and this is what's listed, but then I see other stuff titled Civil War?

Unless someone starts gifting me comics this is my final haul due to needing to keep a certain amount of money in my account for transportation costs etc.
A-Force vol 2
Black Panther by Coates vol 2-3
Black Widow vol 2
The Mighty Thor vol 2
The Unworthy Thor
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur vol 2
Moon Knight by Lemire vol 2
Ms. Marvel vol 6
Hellcat vol 2
Silk vol 2
Silver Surfer vol 4
Spider-Woman vol 2-3