• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Jawmuncher

It's simply a case of subliminal marketing to subconscious and pity votes. He kept spamming Regina most of time during four main threads. It's down to people giving Regina the pity votes for Jawmuncher since they genuinely feel bad for him, or simply can't come up with other newcomers so Regina would naturally pop in our minds easily because I honestly can't tell you how many time we read the name, "Regina."

If Jawmuncher didn't spam so much. then it's more likely that we would only see like 6-9 votes at best. I'm pretty sure that only 20% of people in that poll actually play Dino Crisis, or maybe less.

tumblr_ni99uvlchp1t61lyzsu.gif

One victory here can spread everywhere. Make people come to the realization that they should be voting for Regina. GAF is a big place. It has some pull with all of the lurkers. I'm just doing my job. Just like with my boy Snake.
Plus let's not forget that Dino Crisis has sold more than 4.4 million copies. More than Asura and other popular capcom picks after all. Since if you wanna bring people who actually played Asura's Wrath. That number is hella smaller than DC.

JayEH

It's simply a case of subliminal marketing to subconscious and pity votes. He kept spamming Regina most of time during four main threads. It's down to people giving Regina the pity votes for Jawmuncher since they genuinely feel bad for him, or simply can't come up with other newcomers so Regina would naturally pop in our minds easily because I honestly can't tell you how many time we read the name, "Regina."

If Jawmuncher didn't spam so much. then it's more likely that we would only see like 6-9 votes at best. I'm pretty sure that only 20% of people in that poll actually play Dino Crisis, or maybe less.

Brutal.

I didn't vote in the poll because I thought the likelihood of it affecting the game was slim to none. Will be fun to see official results though.

Well X got in because he was the most requested on multiple site polls so there is hope. This game is in a different situation though admittedly.

Swmystery

Neo Member
I genuinely wonder how many returnees from MVC3 we're going to get as DLC.

Other than the X-Men, how exactly do you sell yet more characters with existing models and minor tweaks when 80-85% of the base roster is already recycled from the previous game? Presumably at full price, too, because Capcom are seemingly flat broke. That seems like the sort of thing that would put off the casual market even more than it already is?

jett

D-Member
I didn't vote in the poll because I thought the likelihood of it affecting the game was slim to none. Will be fun to see official results though.

I voted but the fact is that If there's going to be more characters next year they've already started working on them. And I definitely don't expect more characters after that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
tumblr_ni99uvlchp1t61lyzsu.gif

One victory here can spread everywhere. Make people come to the realization that they should be voting for Regina. GAF is a big place. It has some pull with all of the lurkers. I'm just doing my job. Just like with my boy Snake.
Plus let's not forget that Dino Crisis has sold more than 4.4 million copies. More than Asura and other popular capcom picks after all. Since if you wanna bring people who actually played Asura's Wrath. That number is hella smaller than DC.

I don't disagree with Asura. Heck, I can throw Gene in the list too. Asura, Gene, and Regina are a good example of that. My point still stands on those matters since I can't counts how many time we actually mentioned Asura, Gene, and Regina in last four threads.

I only simply explained to someone who was surprised that Regina was actually high on the list so that don't simply make me the hater. I just want to point it out how it happens.
And I don't really hate Regina or Dino Crisis. I'm one of minority that actually play the game and support the character because she can be unique and bring certain interesting style into the game.

People hyping for certain characters can be very influential because it would make people curious how they would works in the game. It happened to me too with certain characters in fighting game so I'm not ashamed to admits that I was influenced with choice of characters partially. For Example, I have seen some people rooting for certain characters for UMVC3 like Rocket Raccoon, etc.

Man, Rocket Raccoon actually got me hyped when he got leaked because I really want to know how he would function in the game.

Ryce

I'll upload a video of me eating my copy of MvCI if Regina ever makes the roster. I don't dislike Dino Crisis or anything -- it's just such a ridiculously unlikely scenario.

Consider how few Capcom newcomers made the base roster and 2017 DLC. I don't think we're going to see a lot of newcomers next year, and we'd be lucky to see DLC characters in general in 2019. I just can't imagine one of the precious Capcom newcomer spots going to an irrelevant character who is so aesthetically similar to Black Widow.

FSLink

Banned
I'll upload a video of me eating my copy of MvCI if Regina ever makes the roster. I don't dislike Dino Crisis or anything -- it's just such a ridiculously unlikely scenario.

Consider how few Capcom newcomers made the base roster and 2017 DLC. I don't think we're going to see a lot of newcomers next year, and we'd be lucky to see DLC characters in general in 2019. I just can't imagine one of the precious Capcom newcomer spots going to an irrelevant character who is so aesthetically similar to Black Widow.

Same, and I have it on Xbox One and PS4, I'll eat both.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I miss Mike Ross, what happened to him? Last time I checked back in early SF5 he was working at Twitch I believe and playing that (back when he met toolassisted online again).

Jawmuncher

Out of everything you said. This is my only worry.
Like even when they first announced Black Widow that's all I can think of. She'd have to be big on Dino Summoning at this point to really work (She does have more moves than just the stun baton but I can't really wrap my head around a move list with her). But I mean people want something reminiscence of Jill's MVC2 moveset and looking at Puzzle Fighter capcom seems to be on lock for RE5 Jill if she were to come back. Not to mention Frank already has the Zombie summoning down as well.

JayEH

I miss Mike Ross, what happened to him? Last time I checked back in early SF5 he was working at Twitch I believe and playing that (back when he met toolassisted online again).

He quit public life (not permanently hopefully). SFV broke him. Left twitch and cross counter now it seems.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That's BIG IF we actually going to get Season 2 or/and Season 3 so there is a good chance we could get a decent numbers of newcomers.

Every characters have their chances for making into the roster so I wouldn't being so dismissive toward to any characters' chances even it might be slim or not. I meant Jawmuncher already got two developers' ears from Capcom USA and Capcom V with Regina for Puzzle Fighter.

Swmystery

Neo Member
Out of everything you said. This is my only worry.
Like even when they first announced Black Widow that's all I can think of. She'd have to be big on Dino Summoning at this point to really work (She does have more moves than just the stun baton but I can't really wrap my head around a move list with her). But I mean people want something reminiscence of Jill's MVC2 moveset and looking at Puzzle Fighter capcom seems to be on lock for RE5 Jill if she were to come back.

If She-Hulk really was omitted because "two green women is confusing", Regina has no chance right?

EDIT: Not saying that was the actual reason, just a theory.

Ryce

I genuinely wonder how many returnees from MVC3 we're going to get as DLC.

Other than the X-Men, how exactly do you sell yet more characters with existing models and minor tweaks when 80-85% of the base roster is already recycled from the previous game?
At the very least, I could see Wesker, Vergil, Phoenix Wright, and Doctor Doom selling well relative to the other DLC characters.

What will you eat if Gene makes it in?
Gene wouldn't be nearly as surprising to me. He's irrelevant, yes, but he doesn't look or play like anyone else on the roster, and he's been repeatedly brought up by Capcom employees as a candidate for MvC3. I personally don't think he's going to make it, but he's not a character whose inclusion would outright shock me.

FSLink

Banned
Gene wouldn't be nearly as surprising to me. He's irrelevant, yes, but he doesn't look or play like anyone else on the roster, and he's been repeatedly brought up by Capcom employees as a candidate for MvC3. I personally don't think he's going to make it, but he's not a character whose inclusion would outright shock me.

Yep, he was really high on the polls last time and we all saw Mega Man X got in. If Capcom didn't ruin our hopes and dreams with their abysmal roster in this game, I would have been sure Gene would have been in the base roster.

Also yep, he's been a candidate for MvC3 so that's even more reason:
Few more things

Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma got instantly added (ofc). C. Viper was added because she was in SF4. Chris, Jill, Wesker: all in RE5, so obvious choices

Dante and Ammy made it in, worked out really well

Gene: kinda overlapped with Frank, not as popular, etc, so they ended up only using Frank/Frank took his spot

Onimusha series: wanted Soki, but he was a bit weak so they went for the original onimusha protag, but ran into rights issues, got dropped for a variety of reasons

Demetri: Comes up every time, but I think you guys know why Demetri can't be added (lol)"

Jawmuncher

At least going by the interviews before the roster came out. They at least heard of Dino Crisis while watching youtube videos and such. Same can't be said for Power Stone, Onimusha, and a few others.
Regardless the fact that this game didn't have X, Asura, and Gene who were the top picks from MVC3 consistently in fan polls is pretty shit. Unless the other two show up as DLC. Really shows how strapped for time and cash they were along with having to deal with a story mode. Still think the story mode aspect is the only reason Jedah made it in rather than any sort of popularity. Was a perfect storm for him making it in more than anything. Oh we need a bad guy for hell, oh we got Jedah and that covers a newcomer and a new darkstalkers rep. He was also decently on some polls. Wow win/win for us.

Can we get some Sigma information for shit's sake at some point? I want to humor the idea of taking Zero off the team so I stop destroying my L2 button.

FSLink

Banned
At least going by the interviews before the roster came out. They at least heard of Dino Crisis while watching youtube videos and such. Same can't be said for Power Stone, Onimusha, and a few others.

Uh, you could have used better examples there because Power Stone and Onimusha characters have been considered for MvC3:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363291

So do you mainly see MVC3 vets returning? What about MVC2?

MvC2 vets would basically have to be remade so I'd definitely imagine Capcom would rather reuse assets like MvC3 Vergil/Wesker/etc than not.
vv

Jawmuncher

Uh, you could have used better examples there because Power Stone and Onimusha characters have been considered for MvC3:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363291

MvC2 vets would basically have to be remade so I'd definitely imagine Capcom would rather reuse assets like MvC3 Vergil/Wesker/etc than not.
vv

Yeah that was for MVC3. I'm talking the team on MVC:I
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1365004

Power Stone & Onimusha characters not considered in great demand
GC: So you're absolutely going to go back to the office and report that there is huge demand for a Power Stone character?
ME: Since it's the first time I've heard this I wouldn't say it's great demand but...

GC: Anyone from Onimusha?
ME: We haven't heard that one, no.

While some big weight like X carried over. What the MVC3 team was planning doesn't automatically get put in with what the MVC:I team wants.

Actually going back through this interview.
I don't think Nitsuma shared any fucking notes with them.

This, and I also figured Nina will never be in anyway. I don't want to look like I'm bringing the same dead franchise up over and over in some desperate plea for acknowledgement from Capcom.

Jawmuncher

Which Youtube vids ya'll think Mike Evans was watching to gauge fan requests?

The first ones that popped up in the youtube search.
I doubt they did much digging. Especially with how this DLC is turning out.
Venom's return and Monster Hunter feel like the only one's that might've come out of looking at fan requests from this first season. People wanted Black Panther but figured he was a shoe-in anyway.

Sesha

Did Gene really receive no votes?

If so then gigantic lulz

He'll be top three, same as with UMvC3.

And lol if people really think Jawmuncher is the reason Regina got a lot of votes. Maybe she got a few votes because of it, but people voted for her because she's the main character of a million-selling Capcom IP, and because there are only so many fan favorites and unrepped franchises (that they want to see) left.

Dahbomb

Damn barely any love for Vergil.
Bruh he's like top 5 on Capcom side.

I think top Capcom requested characters are like Asura, Gene, Phoenix Wright, Wesker, Vergil, Captain Commando and Jin Saotome. Lady is also surprisingly high and I don't know where Nero factors in.

The first ones that popped up in the youtube search.
I doubt they did much digging. Especially with how this DLC is turning out.
Venom's return and Monster Hunter feel like the only one's that might've come out of looking at fan requests from this first season. People wanted Black Panther but figured he was a shoe-in anyway.

Sounds accurate enough. I think he said he's aware of the requests for Asura as well.

Either way, if there's a 2018 season, I hope it's not all MVC3 vets.

Jawmuncher

Sounds accurate enough. I think he said he's aware of the requests for Asura as well.

Either way, if there's a 2018 season, I hope it's not all MVC3 vets.

That's kinda my worry atm. I feel like season 2018 is gonna be a lot of returning characters.
Especially if we're getting 4 capcom and 2 marvel. Capcom seems to wanna put their resources more into the Marvel side of things. So i'd imagine 2018 being 2 X-men (Wolverine and Deadpoll probably) Then 3 of the 4 capcom character's being returnees with only 1 newcomer.

Top Bottom