• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive FTC Leak: Mid Gen Xbox Hardware, Series S/X Refreshes, New Controller, and Game Plans!

U2AtL9D.jpg
She looks like a drug heroine addict off the streets of New York. Why did they make her so ugly looking? The actress looks way better than this.

This is largely disappointing. Fuck off with this all digital future.

So a downgraded series X, 2 remasters of games that are probably better with mods on PC than these remasters will ever be, and they wanted to buy nintendo to screw them up.

The best thing in this leak is the new controller, and it still doesn't sound on par with the DualSense.

This is largely disappointing. Fuck off with this all digital future.

So a downgraded series X, 2 remasters of games that are probably better with mods on PC than these remasters will ever be, and they wanted to buy nintendo to screw them up.

The best thing in this leak is the new controller, and it still doesn't sound on par with the DualSense.
No offense, but what were you honestly expecting going into the future of gaming or the world as a whole? The writing was on the wall. PC have been digital only for like 2 decades now and no one complains, how is this any different ? Sony is going to be going digital only as well going into mext gen, whether you like it or not it's inevitable.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
No offense, but what were you honestly expecting going into the future of gaming or the world as a whole? The writing was on the wall. PC have been digital only for like 2 decades now and no one complains, how is this any different ? Sony is going to be going digital only as well going into mext gen, whether you like it or not it's inevitable.

I don't think many would be against digital if there were more consumer rights, like there is on PC. Steam and GoG allow you far more flexibility with your digital games than any of the major 3 console ecosystems at the moment. There is no hint of that changing any time soon either.

Hell, GoG *should* be the standard with how digital games and digital rights is managed. No DRM, no always online.

Last edited:
or we could get a new medium like has been proven throughout history time and time again.

I don't think many would be against digital if there were more consumer rights, like there is on PC. Steam and GoG allow you far more flexibility with your digital games than any of the major 3 console ecosystems at the moment. There is no hint of that changing any time soon either.
I get what you are saying and agree to a certain extent. But I think the issue for most is that because they can't buy physical games anymore and they can't rely on reselling them ones they've done with the game. Most people just want to take advantage of the companies for the sake of their own benefit. The companies want to take advantage of the consumer. It goes both ways.

I used to be a big physical game collector but I've stopped since 2019. Too much clutter and not worth it anymore.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I get what you are saying and agree to a certain extent. But I think the issue for most is that because they can't buy physical games anymore and they can't rely on reselling them ones they've done with the game. Most people just want to take advantage of the companies for the sake of their own benefit. The companies want to take advantage of the consumer. It goes both ways.

I used to be a big physical game collector but I've stopped since 2019. Too much clutter and not worth it anymore.

I still collect physical and find it to be well worth the effort, especially given how I can usually sell games for 2-4x its original price. Heck, an old Pokemon SIlver CIB I had picked up 15 years ago sold for 500 recently.

If we do move into an all digital future, we need to fight more more rights. The ability to sell our digital games, or trade them. The ability to have them backed up and playable without an always on internet connection. We can't have a company decide when, where, and how we can play our games for their own benefit. Right now for consoles, digital is just an extended rental and nothing more.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Oblivion remaster on par with Skyrim visuals is all I need to finally play through it. Please be true it’s in the next few months.

Rob_27

Have you seen RGT on next gen xbox is insane. I know this is prob not for this thread but I never really trust the bloke these days.

dem

I would rather microsoft drop all these side projects (pads, plates, hardware refreshes, blah blah etc) and concentrate on hit games. Is that a reasonable request?

The guys in charge of controllers and hardware design are definitely also responsible for building games.
definitely.

If we do move into an all digital future, we need to fight more more rights. The ability to sell our digital games, or trade them. The ability to have them backed up and playable without an always on internet connection. We can't have a company decide when, where, and how we can play our games for their own benefit. Right now for consoles, digital is just an extended rental and nothing more.

Gamers have pretty much shown as a whole they don't care about much of that. And it's only going to get tougher and tougher to say that always online is that onerous.

MS especially is all about Gamepass.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Honestly sometimes I feel like just going PC and Nintendo only.
Have fun with that, if you can. Sony’s delay strategy is terrible for everyone except console-only gamers. Skipping Playstation usually means waiting years to play the biggest games, TLOUP2 is still not out on PC for example, and waiting means you’ll need to get used to have the story spoiled from millions playing and talking about the game, and bad ports can still happen so forget thinking you’ll always get the definitive edition.

You lose the disc drive.

You gain an extra 1tb of storage
The new controller in the box.

It seems this may have a faster SSD as well from the more io lanes part.
Except for the extra space, the new features you mention will never be used by any dev, because everything needs to be on par with the old x and s versions.

They should wait with a gyro controller and faster ssd stuff if it really is faster until a next gen console so you can actually use the new stuff as a dev. It is 100% useless as it is as of now.

twilo99

It offers 18% higher transistor density. Smaller transistors means smaller distance the signal has to travel.

Of course, I’m just surprised that they are able to get as much as 15% less power draw from that, but I guess we will see when they launch.

I still collect physical and find it to be well worth the effort, especially given how I can usually sell games for 2-4x its original price. Heck, an old Pokemon SIlver CIB I had picked up 15 years ago sold for 500 recently.

More rights as in what? Returning the game if you've played it under 2 hours? Okay fine, ill give you that. Trade games digitally? You can already do that though the PS and Xbox family sharing/master system stuff, so not sure what you mean.

However, I will never understand this "extended rental" argument. I don't know how old you are but I am in my 30s. I can assure you that after I beat the game and get all the achievements or something I won't be coming back to it. Why would I want to play an ancient game when I am in my 70s? Would it be nice to get rid of it and get some cash back? Yeah of course, but It wouldn't make sense for a game that is tied to a digital server to be sold in the first place because it's rendered unplayable and no one would ever buy it.

Selling Diablo 4 will never make any sense you need to be online to play it anyways. It's tied to an online server and that server may or may not be shut off within the next 10 years. Yes you can sell it now on eBay or to gamestop but it won't do much. Oh look, you are $10 less poorer now? Give me a break.

Also, for majority of the single player games the discs only exist to check for licenses and that's it. The only stuff that holds any value are old retro stuff that you cannot find anymore in stores. Like the original black label PS1 titles. Or original brand new PS1 or PS2 console that has never been opened and is still sealed.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
More rights as in what? Returning the game if you've played it under 2 hours? Okay fine, ill give you that. Trade games digitally? You can already do that though the PS and Xbox family sharing/master system stuff, so not sure what you mean.

However, I will never understand this "extended rental" argument. I don't know how old you are but I am in my 30s. I can assure you that after I beat the game and get all the achievements or something I won't be coming back to it. Why would I want to play an ancient game when I am in my 70s? Would it be nice to get rid of it and get some cash back? Yeah of course, but It wouldn't make sense for a game that is tied to a digital server to be sold in the first place because it's rendered unplayable and no one would ever buy it.

Selling Diablo 4 will never make any sense you need to be online to play it anyways. It's tied to an online server and that server may or may not be shut off within the next 10 years. Yes you can sell it now on eBay or to gamestop but it won't do much. Oh look, you are $10 less poorer now? Give me a break.

Also, for majority of the single player games the discs only exist to check for licenses and that's it. The only stuff that holds any value are old retro stuff that you cannot find anymore in stores. Like the original black label PS1 titles. Or original brand new PS1 or PS2 console that has never been opened and is still sealed.

You absolutely cannot trade games digitally, not to mention resell. Loopholes don't count (and are very limited anyway).

You yourself say that once you're done with a game you rarely want to come back to it. Great, then sell it and make some money back! Except with digital you can't. That game that you never want to play again is forever tied to your account, and you can't do anything with it.

What game disc is tied to a digital server? That point doesn't make any sense.

And the vast majority of SP games are in fact complete and playable on the disc. It might not be the optimal version since day 1 patches are so prevalent these days, but the idea that most discs are just a license key and you have to download the entire game anyway is a myth. That is the exception, not the rule.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Do you have a CD-ROM on your PC? I don’t remember the last time I saw one of those. PC moved to digital a long time ago.
U got me wrong. I mean why would i buy a series x ever now. All is on pc. I love physical media but i will not buy anything on an all digital xbox better spend that money on a pc if it has to be digital and i can not get around not playing it.

SenkiDala

To me this news is shit. Honestly, both Sony and MS are becoming shit companies beyond belief. I usually don't mind routing for the underdog. But MS wanting to kill the physical games like that is shit to me. The fact this is a mid gen refresh kinda tells me they will stop making the original Xbox series X and this will be it's placement.
At this point, there is no need for any store to carry any Xbox games then.

I do like Game Pass but I am not subbing every month. Some games I like to buy and keep so I can play them anytime I want without having to pay MS monthly to play them. Especially games like Forza Horizon and soon Call of duty.

Them killing the physical is a no go for me especially for consoles.

You start to route for Sony but then they are shit with their shitty management which I hate ever since zombie Jim took charge. Releasing useless hardware like the portal or psvr2 with its awesome tech and no games for months instead of focusing on their first-party games or even a truly portable system to compete with the Switch 2. Or the 100 Canadian for a yearly plus just to play online.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like just going PC and Nintendo only. Just fuck these 2 companies really. They are so anti-consumer that it's becoming a joke to even support them.
Yeah you'll see physical games on PC are the bests

Tsaki

Of course, I’m just surprised that they are able to get as much as 15% less power draw from that, but I guess we will see when they launch.
I also comes intrinsically with less power consumption, even before the transistor density is taken into account.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Isn't the bigger issue about an all-digital ecosystem about it being basically the end of backwards compatibility?
I mean sure previously bought digital games are safe, but anything physical... its gone.

twilo99

U got me wrong. I mean why would i buy a series x ever now. All is on pc. I love physical media but i will not buy anything on an all digital xbox better spend that money on a pc if it has to be digital and i can not get around not playing it.

I see.. yes, if you can afford a PC that’s always been the better choice overall.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I explained what I mean by more rights. On GoG, I can buy a game. I can back up that game. I can play it offline on any device I would like.

PS5/Xbox Family Sharing is not true trading, at all. It is "lending" to a select few people at a time. If I wanted to Trade my Digital Copy of Halo 5 to some Rando for his digital copy of Cuphead, permanently losing access to that digital copy of Halo 5 but gaining permanent access to Cuphead (until traded/sold), you cannot do that.
30s as well. Just because *you* don't replay games doesn't mean that others are the same. I have 100% Final Fantasy IX over 20 times. I will continue to replay this "ancient game" in my 70s because it is a great game. Same reason I would read the Middle-earth books in my 80s, or watch Casablanca in my 90s. Good media is good media and will stand the test of time. This isn't a complicated thing to understand.

GoG and the explosion of retro collecting has proven otherwise. People want to play these older games and they will find ways to play them decades after they are no longer for sale.

It is clear why you chose an always online GAAS title, I am not falling for that bait.

Objectively and factually wrong. The vast majority of single player discs exist complete, playable from start to finish with no updates or downloads required. Only a handful of modern AAA games and GAAS titles are as you claim. This has been proven time and again. Hell, there are entire websites dedicated to this: https://www.doesitplay.org/

You have been shown this before. Stop with pushing false information.

Hudo

Isn't the bigger issue about an all-digital ecosystem about it being basically the end of backwards compatibility?
I mean sure previously bought digital games are safe, but anything physical... its gone.
BC will most likely be streaming-based in that future.

//DEVIL//

Yeah you'll see physical games on PC are the bests
Not the same. I specifically said no physical on consoles. The advantage of a console is the ability to buy and sell physical games. If I can't do that, then what is the point of buying a 500$ PC that can't do PC stuff? (Not to mention the yearly fee you have to pay to play online ( what a load of shit is that one )

Let alone the huge library of physical games some own on Xbox or PlayStation will be rendered useless since the refresh won't allow you to play those games anymore unless you buy them digitally again.
The only forgiving point would be if there is an external disk drive option and no such a thing exists it seems for Xbox plans as of now.

At this rate, the ps5 with a detachable drive option just destroys this

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This means that Backwards Compatibility and Game Preservation are bullshit marketing points that nobody cares about (which is obviously not the case).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wait, so it's the court's fault not Microsoft?

Or am i reading this wrong?

This is all so freakin wild haha
MS's

Twice even,

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Out of curiosity do you think there will be any repercussions from this? Someone from MS getting the axe? Or are they just going to say oops! and move on?

I explained what I mean by more rights. On GoG, I can buy a game. I can back up that game. I can play it offline on any device I would like.

PS5/Xbox Family Sharing is not true trading, at all. It is "lending" to a select few people at a time. If I wanted to Trade my Digital Copy of Halo 5 to some Rando for his digital copy of Cuphead, permanently losing access to that digital copy of Halo 5 but gaining permanent access to Cuphead (until traded/sold), you cannot do that.

30s as well. Just because *you* don't replay games doesn't mean that others are the same. I have 100% Final Fantasy IX over 20 times. I will continue to replay this "ancient game" in my 70s because it is a great game. Same reason I would read the Middle-earth books in my 80s, or watch Casablanca in my 90s. Good media is good media and will stand the test of time. This isn't a complicated thing to understand.

GoG and the explosion of retro collecting has proven otherwise. People want to play these older games and they will find ways to play them decades after they are no longer for sale.

It is clear why you chose an always online GAAS title, I am not falling for that bait.

Objectively and factually wrong. The vast majority of single player discs exist complete, playable from start to finish with no updates or downloads required. Only a handful of modern AAA games and GAAS titles are as you claim. This has been proven time and again. Hell, there are entire websites dedicated to this: https://www.doesitplay.org/

You have been shown this before. Stop with pushing false information.
No one stops anyone from playing old games. Don't sell your retro systems and keep them, or if you have to get rid of one due to emergency then just go buy one off eBay or something for cheap at later date. Emulators also exist on PC. I never tried GoG so I have no experience or knowledge so I can't speak for that. I only use Steam on PC and that's it and I've only ever returned a game once or twice. I am usually pretty good at knowing what game I will stick around with or not.

It's clear why I choose an always online GAAS title? There is no bait here friend, even Sony is investing in a ton of GAAS only titles because single player is getting super pricey and very risky, but that's a whole different debate. Why is Diablo 4 a bad example? What about Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon series or any of those? They are all GAAS but they can easily be played as a single player game but still require a connection to the interwebs. My point is simply that many games that can be played solo still require an internet connection and that seems to be the future of gaming which points towards a digital only future. I don't know if Elder Scrolls 6 or any of the big future RPGs will require 100% online or not, and I am going to assume it won't, but at this rate it's hard to say because it just seems that things are heading to that direction sooner or later.

No one is trying to spread misinformation here first of all - I genuinely assumed that majority of the discs today are just licenses checks, at least it seems to be the case for Xbox titles. PlayStation I think has actual data on it, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

lachesis

Cylinder shape? looks like old charcoal thing that people used to back in asia - some poorer people still use them. (And many used die from CO intoxication..).

IV16F5Y.jpg

Since it seems like no real performance gain (other than power usage) - I'll definitely stick with my X. It looks like it will just roll on the table if you put it horizontally..

I welcome haptic feedback though - Hope the D pad isn't as loud as they are now.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Considering this:

I seriously doubt MS will go forward with plans for a console that is so heavily tied to cloud.

edit: To be clear, the thread title is pretty much the gist of it, if you think the purple site will give you cooties

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Do you have a CD-ROM on your PC? I don’t remember the last time I saw one of those. PC moved to digital a long time ago.
Are you kidding me?
The "but pc is al digital" is the worst argument ever.
On pc:
-Steam keys are sold by many many resellers and regions.
-You have access to your files and game. You can back it up
-You can crack your game if you want
-You are not at a mercy of store runner.

Of course you can still get hacked or banned but there are much less downsides to digital on pc than consoles

Top Bottom