• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 - New Tech & Design Video Coming Tomorrow - 03/15

-BLITZ-

Why Max runs slow or when he enters in that crib and kills those 3 gangsters is moving slow when using aim. The MP2 had nice walking/runing, I remember the hospital in Chapter III. Well, I think this happens because is a totally different engine and I have to get used with it.
Cover system is less important to me. I hope their are not turning the game into a cover by cover to every corner; Splinter Cell 5 thing because always both games gave me that adrenaline rush of going directly into the enemies like a train with bullet time activated.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can't say I'm much a fan of the "cinematic editing" transitions. Maybe they'll grow on me as the game progresses.

Why Max runs slow or when he enters in that crib and kills those 3 gangsters is moving slow when using aim. The MP2 had nice walking/runing, I remember the hospital in Chapter III. Well, I think this happens because is a totally different engine and I have to get used with it.
Cover system is less important to me. I hope their are not turning the game into a cover by cover to every corner; Splinter Cell 5 thing because always both games gave me that adrenaline rush of going directly into the enemies like a train with bullet time activated.

This isn't the first video to highlight the fact that cover should not be relied upon. It's a fleeting option rather than a key component.

Angry Fork

Looking great. I dont care about story, acting, levelling, conversation trees, exploring or whatever.

I just want to shoot people in the face.

My only choice? If I shoot them in the face in slowmo or not.

Thanks. All I need to do now is quote this every time someone claims fans like you don't exist, and franchises aren't ruined to appeal to such types.

Thanks. All I need to do now is quote this every time someone claims fans like you don't exist, and franchises aren't ruined to appeal to such types.

seagal-death-stare0dj0x.gif

I enjoyed the comic book panels in previous games, but i mean, would they really work now? If they did, Alan Wake would of used them.

The game looks fucking great by the way. Rockstar.....holy crap I love em!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I enjoyed the comic book panels in previous games, but i mean, would they really work now? If they did, Alan Wake would of used them.

The game looks fucking great by the way. Rockstar.....holy crap I love em!!

V4geO.jpg

"That's specious reasoning, Dad."

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You're confusing what he likes about the game with what Rockstar chose to put into it. MP3 has several of the things he said he wasn't interested in. And the rest aren't Max Payne hallmarks to begin with. So I don't how this exemplifies a fan ruining a franchise or R* trying to appeal directly to said fan.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it looks really really good, but i hate all rockstar's games and i must admit, i'm a bit afraid of picking up this game only to be disappointed yet again in the actual feel. it looks like old school max though.

Angry Fork

You're confusing what he likes about the game with what Rockstar chose to put into it. MP3 has several of the things he said he wasn't interested in. And the rest aren't Max Payne hallmarks to begin with.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.

I just loathe anyone that plays Max Payne for shooting only and ignores everything else. Max Payne 1/2 are the best shooters of all time but I have issue calling them shooters because I find them to be much more than that.

As for this game itself. I think everything looks good except:

1. Atrocious, terrible, horrible, awful, ridiculous setting/atmosphere. (Deal breaker for me personally since when it comes to Max Payne/Alan Wake/Remedy games etc. I care more about atmosphere and story than gameplay) Remedy not handling this game means it isn't canon and is a spinoff.
2. The weird drunk look in the cutscenes, people seem to double up and it looks dizzying for some reason, looks bad.
3. Stupid cover.

Everything else looks good but I couldn't care less about another good shooter. Plenty of those exist. I wanted Max Payne 3 and this is not it (for me) because of the setting alone. It doesn't reflect what I care about in the series.

idlewild_

Looks nice, the lighting made all cloth look like plastic though. The new motion comic panels looks cool, but I'll miss the old comic book style.

I just loathe anyone that plays Max Payne for shooting only and ignores everything else. Max Payne 1/2 are the best shooters of all time but I have issue calling them shooters because I find them to be much more than that.

1. Atrocious, terrible, horrible, awful, ridiculous setting/atmosphere. (Deal breaker for me personally since when it comes to Max Payne/Alan Wake/Remedy games etc. I care more about atmosphere and story than gameplay) Remedy not handling this game means it isn't canon and is a spinoff.
2. The weird drunk look in the cutscenes, people seem to double up and it looks dizzying for some reason, looks bad.
3. Stupid cover.

Everything else looks good but I couldn't care less about another good shooter. Plenty of those exist. I wanted Max Payne 3 and this is not it (for me) because of the setting alone. It doesn't reflect what I care about in the series.

You should pick it up. Just before you start playing, turn the color on your TV all the way down.

The primary mechanic of Max Payne 1 and 2 was always... shooting. That's why it's a shooter. It's a brilliant, narrative-driven shooter, but it's still a shooter. It's genre-defining and a great step towards good narrative in games.

But you still jump in the air and shoot a lot of people in awesome ways.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd rather have straight up cutscenes that the floating text/moving comic book panels they've shown. I'd rather have old-style comic book cutscenes even better, but with gameplay looking as amazing as it does, I'm still on board.

Writing seems dumbed down, though. Sam Lake's no Shakespeare, but the goofy, hard-boiled metaphors and convoluted plots seem MIA in MP3...

Angry Fork

The primary mechanic of Max Payne 1 and 2 was always... shooting. That's why it's a shooter. It's a brilliant, narrative-driven shooter, but it's still a shooter. It's genre-defining and a great step towards good narrative in games.

But you still jump in the air and shoot a lot of people in awesome ways.

Honestly for me the shooting is just something I go through to continue the narrative. I see Max Payne 1/2 as 8 hour movies and the gameplay is just there. I don't dislike it, it's fun but the 3rd or 4th reason why I play them. The top ones would be atmosphere, setting, dialogue, characters etc.

So when I see someone say none of that matters and this game looks awesome because 'xxxxxplosionnn super cool SET PIECE WHOA motorcycle jump slow mo zack snyder MAN ROCKSTAR DOES IT AGAIN LOLOLOL' I get infuriated.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

3. Stupid cover.

You hate people who like the same game you do, but in a different way? Get over yourself.

Not that it's relevant but I also disagree with all 3 of your points. I'm not much of a Max Payne fan, though; neither the kind you approve of nor the kind you don't.

Yo Gotti

Banned

3. Stupid cover.

If you're playing Max Payne for anything other than the shooting and his insanely hilarious internal monologues, you're doing it wrong.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Honestly for me the shooting is just something I go through to continue the narrative. I see Max Payne 1/2 as 8 hour movies and the gameplay is just there. I don't dislike it, it's fun but the 3rd or 4th reason why I play them. The top ones would be atmosphere, setting, dialogue, characters etc.

So when I see someone say none of that matters and this game looks awesome because 'xxxxxplosionnn super cool SET PIECE WHOA motorcycle jump slow mo zack snyder MAN ROCKSTAR DOES IT AGAIN LOLOLOL' I get infuriated.

i'm not sure i rank the pieces in the same way, but yeah, i definitely agree that a lot of the charm for MP1 and 2 was the atmosphere and story telling, both of which seem lacking in this GTA-styled title. from the clips, the gunplay looks fantastic, but i'm not sure i'll care about it nearly as much. i think the rockstar "style" will turn me off once again.

Fjordson

Watching the video again, I absolutely love the visual style R* is going for with the cutscenes and the seamless transitions. All looks great.

But I'm positive that they're going to be a very polarizing thing. Will be interesting to see how the style plays out with the final game.

Man, you come off as so elitist sometimes.

"Bah, you play this game for the ability to shoot your enemy? How positively proletariat. You don't truly appreciate the craftsmanship of the tale told, you degenerate."

Sometimes the same game will appeal to different people for different reasons.

Angry Fork

Man, you come off as so elitist sometimes.

"Bah, you play this game for the ability to shoot your enemy? How positively proletariat. You don't truly appreciate the craftsmanship of the tale told, you degenerate."

Sometimes the same game will appeal to different people for different reasons.

And guess which is the majority? Which group would Rockstar want to appeal to more? It's plainly obvious, which is why almost every big franchise this gen has been demolished from it's previous glory.

I don't necessarily think that's the case with MP3 though. MP3 looks like it retains a lot from the previous games and they're trying hard to do that while doing something new, but I absolutely hate the setting with everything in me and don't care for the 'new'. So I'll keep ragging on it because I care so much about MP1/2 and replacing that incredible dreary, oppressive Lynchian atmosphere with day time brazilian mafia, kingpin wife kidnapping type shit is too much for me to accept.

Everyone would be raging hard if Silent Hill 5 was set in Orlando Florida, and lots of people were annoyed by RE5's setting as well, but for some reason I'm wrong when it comes to Max Payne.

geebee

Banned
Gameplay looks awesome, but the random subtitles appearing during cutscenes looks too cheesy. Not as bad as Splinter Cell Conviction.. I couldnt stand that game's presentation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The RGB splits and digital effects look pretty bad overall. I'll probably just do post-process off and never look back. It's a shame because the rest of the visuals look great.

Conviction's way of doing it looked better to me.

Yeah, here the choice of font is atrocious and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Splinter Cell's actually mesh well with the visuals.

MattDoza

I thought the on screen text was just something done for the trailer, not something that was part of the scene. Huh. I don't hate it, but don't love it.

A-fucking-mazing. :-O

Please, let the game be super long Rockstar. Please? GTA4 took me 30 hours to complete the main campaign, RDR bout 15, LA Noire 27, please Rockstar, let it be at least 15 hours. <3

The RGB splits and digital effects look pretty bad overall. I'll probably just do post-process off and never look back. It's a shame because the rest of the visuals look great.

Yeah, here the choice of font is atrocious and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Splinter Cell's actually mesh well with the visuals.

I think it's interesting, but I can see why people won't like it. It's pretty much ripping off Tony Scott.

New shots (in quotes, pretty big)

Top Bottom