• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mazes of Fate: Official Thread (GBA 1st Person RPG)

Pseudonym

Mejilan said:
Wow, the devs and publisher so need to send me a nice thank you letter or something. ;p

Indeed they do! Count me as another copy bought because of this thread. I enjoyed the game so much that I felt the need to register on the fourms and say so. And I finaly got approved to post only just the other day.

I found the game rough in some parts, but I loved the dungeons! I have a bad problem of starting games and quickly getting sidetracked to the next game. But this game just grabbed me and I feel like I throughly finished it. It was like I was compelled to play! For a few weeks I desired nothing but dungeon exploring! I even talked myself into a GB Micro so I would have a more portable way to play it on my breaks. (Also, I just like shiny gadgets.) So thanks for selling me on the game. It was worth every penny!

Bring on a sequel!

Monk

Banned
http://www.n-philes.com/features.php?id=319

Buenos Aires is the home of a mid-sized development studio called Sabarasa Entertainment. You may not have heard about them before, but they’re hoping to become a well-known name in gaming circles around the world. Mazes of Fate, which Graffiti Entertainment published for the Game Boy Advance in early December, is one of their first big international releases. N-Philes sat down with Sabarasa CEO Javier Otaegui, to learn more about Mazes of Fate and his company’s future.

N-Philes: Could you please introduce yourself for us?
Javier Otaegui: My name is Javier Otaegui and I’m the CEO of Sabarasa Entertainment, a medium-sized studio from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and also the director of Mazes of Fate.

N-Philes: Could you please tell us a bit about Mazes of Fate? What’s it about, who are the main characters, how is the story told, and so on?
Otaegui: Mazes of Fate is first-person RPG with a deep storyline. It’s a very ambitious project. We really wanted to do something never done on Game Boy Advance before. The game tells a twisted story that takes place in the Kingdom of Karsh – a God-forgotten place where things seem to get worse every day.

The story is told in five different chapters where the player will find the truth about the events that take place across the Kingdom. You can start with any of three pre-set heroes or create your custom one. During the adventure you will have six different unlockable characters that will join (and quit if they don’t agree with your decisions) your party. The story is long and includes many important decisions the player must take as he discovers more about the truth. There are more than 100 interactive dialogs with very colorful characters, which will guide you through the events of the game.

N-Philes: How do the game’s combat and leveling systems work?
Otaegui: We tried to keep the system simple yet powerful in choices. Combat is real-time, and controlled with a replenishing readiness orb. Combat is ruled by three basic stats, your base attack, base defense and might. Each opponent’s attack and defense couple to determine the outcome of each attack, and measures how powerful the blow will be.

The levelling system is skills-oriented; there are no pre-established classes. This way there are many different ways of playing Mazes of Fate. We wanted it to have a good replayability value. There are a total of 19 skills, including combat, physical, magic and rogue ones. Every time you pass a level, you are granted three skill points to which you can use to increase any of the available skills. There are special unlockable skills which can provide a real impact on the character’s progress.

N-Philes: I read that you took inspiration for Mazes of Fate from several classic RPGs. Could you name a few of them and how those games impacted this one?
Otaegui: What we did is to take the best component of many different classic RPGs in order to create a new and original blend of styles. Mazes of Fate is inspired by many different console and PC games and sagas: Lands of Lore, Chrono Trigger, Fallout, Final Fantasy, Knights of the Old Republic, and Eye of the Beholder. We wanted to have an open world, with interesting characters and dynamic dialog trees with lots of dungeons, intricate puzzles and lots of secrets, with a great plot and a strong grand finale.

N-Philes: What were some other sources of inspiration for Mazes of Fate?
Otaegui: Apart from other games, Mazes of Fate was inspired by South America and its deep culture. The unique graphic style of Mazes of Fate was inspired by combining Western Anime and South American drawing styles. I think people will appreciate this new aesthetical proposal, which combines the best from each world, thus giving fresh air to the GBA genre. For the avid eye, you will find lots of references to many different cultures of the world, with a special South-American touch.

N-Philes: What makes Mazes unique? What will RPG fans love about the game?
Otaegui: This is no ordinary game, Mazes of Fate really pushes the limits of the GBA and offers a drastically new experience for RPG fans. Mazes of Fate explores uncharted waters, and to do this we analyzed in depth the best gameplay, story and aesthetic elements from the best RPGs out there. RPG fans will love to have a game that is really about role-playing, with a deep, dark and twisted story: will find themselves making tough decisions and testing their innermost values. In short: intense top-quality role-playing.

N-Philes:Mazes of Fate is billed as a first-person RPG. Is the entire game from a first-person perspective?
Otaegui: All the action and dialog views are first-person, and the travel maps (both town and world maps) are top-down.

N-Philes: First-person RPGs aren’t seen very often. What convinced you to take on such an unusual direction with the game?
Otaegui: First-person RPGs have not been successfully implemented on GBA so far. We thought we could bring a good vision about how first-persons for GBA should be made. We analyzed very deeply the situation and we saw that we could create something that was like no other game before in terms of quality. To be able to bring top-quality was the main reason, as well as the immersion that first-person brings. We are not married to first-person though, and for each platform and project we will analyze the best possible option.

N-Philes: When did this project start? How long did it take to complete?
Otaegui: The project started on 2003, and it took approximately 2½ years to complete.

N-Philes: Were there any difficulties in developing Mazes of Fate on the Game Boy Advance?
Otaegui: The biggest difficulty was being a new studio with little track record, coming from a region with no console game development history at all. Distance only made matters worse. So yes, finding a publisher that could trust in a South American developer with little track record was the most difficult part of it. Fortunately we ran into Graffiti who trusted us and gave us the opportunity to bring Mazes of Fate to the whole world.

N-Philes: Sabarasa is billed as a co-developer. What was your role in the game’s development? What role did Graffiti Entertainment play?
Otaegui: Sabarasa is the studio that developed the game, and Graffiti Entertainment is our publisher, who helped us to finish the game so it could be commercially launched for GBA.

N-Philes: With the popularity of the DS, were there any discussions about bringing it to that platform? Could we maybe see a DS release of the game?
Otaegui: We are definitely thinking of the DS, but not for porting exactly this game: we have already started pre-production work for Mazes of Fate 2 for DS.

N-Philes: How big was the development team behind Mazes?
Otaegui: The core development team was approximately of 15 persons, with some external collaborators.

N-Philes: What other games has Sabarasa worked on?
Otaegui: We have worked mostly on local titles as well as some contract content-creation projects for different American and European games, but Mazes of Fate is our first international title. We plan to continue working on Nintendo platforms on international titles in the future.

N-Philes: What is it that drew you to the GBA as the platform for Mazes of Fate?
Otaegui: When we started working on this title, the GBA was the best option for a small unknown developer like us. This console is a great gaming platform and it allowed us to create a high quality game with the limited resources we had. We really wanted to create a great and memorable game, that's why we chose the GBA for MoF. Of course if we had started the project a couple of years later, we would have chosen the DS.

N-Philes: What can we expect to see after Mazes of Fate?
Otaegui: Our main efforts are focused to Mazes of Fate 2 for DS, but we might start thinking about creating Wii games in the short term as well. As a side note, we will release a couple casual games on 2007 as well.

N-Philes: Why are you excited to tackle the DS and Wii for your next projects?
Otaegui: We are so excited because both DS and Wii are fantastic gaming consoles. The DS is a perfect console for RPGs, and we think that a Mazes of Fate for DS can be a great game. Wii is very exciting as well as it will empower us the developers to create new ways of playing our beloved genres. We want to build Mazes of Fate as a major RPG franchise, and we believe that DS and Wii are our way to go.

N-Philes: What would you say is your favorite game, or top 3 games if you can't narrow it down, and why?
Otaegui: If only one choice I would have to say Fallout, because it was a true inflection point for RPGs: its openness, its role system, its combat, the zillions of characters and quests, it was a true revolution for the genre. My other choices are: Chrono Trigger for SNES, for its beautifully told story, the combat system, and the time paradoxes; and to name a recent title, Zelda: The Minish Cap for its almost-perfectly designed gameplay, magical story and characters, great levels, and excellent pixel art.

N-Philes: Thank you very much for your time!
Otaegui: Thank you very much for this space!

Mazes of Fate, developed by Sabarasa Entertainment and published by Graffiti Entertainment, is now available on the Game Boy Advance. Check out Adrian's review for more information on the game!

*rock*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, this interview IS old. I link to it in my original post!

Congrats on the purchase Pseudonym. I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. Welcome to NeoGAF. :D

Yeah, that is old...

Otaegui said:
N-Philes: First-person RPGs aren’t seen very often. What convinced you to take on such an unusual direction with the game?
Otaegui: First-person RPGs have not been successfully implemented on GBA so far. We thought we could bring a good vision about how first-persons for GBA should be made. We analyzed very deeply the situation and we saw that we could create something that was like no other game before in terms of quality. To be able to bring top-quality was the main reason, as well as the immersion that first-person brings. We are not married to first-person though, and for each platform and project we will analyze the best possible option.

N-Philes: What is it that drew you to the GBA as the platform for Mazes of Fate?
Otaegui: When we started working on this title, the GBA was the best option for a small unknown developer like us. This console is a great gaming platform and it allowed us to create a high quality game with the limited resources we had. We really wanted to create a great and memorable game, that's why we chose the GBA for MoF. Of course if we had started the project a couple of years later, we would have chosen the DS.

This doesn't sound much like IGN's "old-fashioned graphical design"...

IGN said:
The first things players are going to notice about Mazes of Fate is that the game looks like it was made in 1993. The graphics are definitely dated, with very crude enemy animations. The dungeons, presented in a first person view aren't graphically impressive either, even for a GBA game. It's also probably best for players to keep the volume turned off while playing, since Maze's of Fate has some of the worst sound effects on the system. The clanging and monster noises during the battles, as well as some of the songs playing in the dungeon are unoriginal and repetitive, Since everything else is similar to the dungeon crawlers of yore, it makes sense that the game looks and sounds the same too, but the decision is likely to turn off gamers who never played the games that inspired Mazes of Fate.

... oh right, that's because what IGN is saying is absurd. I don't remember many PC games from 1993 looking that good... :)

Mejilan

IGN is completely full of shit, as usual. While enemy animation really is extremely crude, their design, and the dungeon visuals are all pretty stellar. Indoors better than outdoors, IMHO.

bengraven

I have to resurrect this old thread because I'm kind of dying for a portable classic RPG right now and something more akin to Wrpgs and not Jrpgs.

How is the story? This is all I really care about. How is the dialogue?

Mejilan

As I (and others) have posted earlier in this thread, the story is an excuse to get you dungeon hacking, and the script reads like something translated by a non-native English speaker.

There are some nice twists, such as the occasionally mutually exclusive dialog tree branches and multiple ways to terminate certain quests, but ultimately the story and characters are filler.

Mejilan said:
As I (and others) have posted earlier in this thread, the story is an excuse to get you dungeon hacking, and the script reads like something translated by a non-native English speaker.

There are some nice twists, such as the occasionally mutually exclusive dialog tree branches and multiple ways to terminate certain quests, but ultimately the story and characters are filler.

And in that, it's like the classic RPGs that it is emulating. (This isn't necessarially a bad thing... it just is.)

ToxicAdam

I got stuck where you have to unpetrify some guy. I don't have access to the spell and could not find that "dust" anywhere.

Anyone have any clues?

Mejilan

I never figured out how to get the unpretrify spell, but IIRC, you have to take some boats to the island villages and solve some quests there, no? For the dust?

ToxicAdam

Mejilan said:
I never figured out how to get the unpretrify spell, but IIRC, you have to take some boats to the island villages and solve some quests there, no? For the dust?

Maybe I missed talking to someone, but I was all over those islands chatting everyone up. ;( Gamefaqs doesn't have a complete FAQ yet for this game. Oh well .. maybe one day.

Zynx

I think it's possible that the quest system is a little buggy. One of my quests never "closed", and a few character's dialogue seem to imply that another quest wasn't done.

As for unpetrify - you can't get it after you used the dust. It was either-or. Plus I didn't see a use for the spell other than for that event.

The one odd thing I've encountered is choosing the dumb reply to the school of magic conversation. One time when I did that, I ended up getting the Blizzard spell (but didn't get the 5 levels of spell school boost), but when I tried the same thing again I couldn't repeat it.

Pseudonym

I got stuck on the bit with the dust. I did the quest where you get the dust, but I took the other reward instead. I couldn't learn the spell as they said I didn't know enough magic. I think they sell more dust in a store on the magic guild island. I kicked myself for taking so long to figure it out. I never was able to get that spell. I wanted to bring the talking statue to life, as he seemed so bored. I don't think it would have worked, though.

Mejilan

Yeah, I tried to get the unpretrify spell before the dust, but since I could never figure it out, I just settled for the dust.

S-Wind

How do I buy it?

I went to their website http://www.mazesoffate.com/ and I clicked on the "BOY NOW" icon on their website. It took me to an eBay auction that says, "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

However under quantity, it still says that there are 873 available.

What gives?

bengraven

Okay, about to pick this game up from Amazon. I'm really more excited about the more traditional western RPG elements than the jrpg elements in this hybrid, but since there are no good GBA western RPGs, I'm screwed.

Any tips or suggestions?

bengraven said:
Any tips or suggestions?

Look at post 15 then read the rest of the thread. I'm sure the Zelda Poseur will assist you if you need specifics since he's been popping in to give help regularly.

Javaman

I think I got a wonky copy. During the first and second dungeons message windows pop up with what I would assume are tips, but they are completely blank. Has anyone else noticed this? Nice looking, but slow graphics. I think I would like this game quite a bit, but am worried I'm missing or will miss out on some important dialog.

Mejilan

The game is a bit laggy, both with the graphics and the button presses in combat.

I never got an instance of a corrupt dialog window, however. Might want to try starting a new game, and if you're still getting it, swapping it out for a new copy.

Edited the OP with the updated eBay listing.

Javaman

Restarting seems to have fixed it. It was indeed blanking out game tips. The background for the boxes was white instead of the brownish norm. The menus were a bit messed up too during my first game. Instead of having the camp/character/etc menu pop up when hitting start, it only displayed the icons for each. There were no names so the only way to find out what each one was to select it and back out. I would really hate to put some serious time into this and then have it crap out again.

In a way it reminds me of Rebelstar:Tactical command.... Potentially great games, but could have used some more bug testing.

Finally got it!

I already played it before, but I loe that I get my own copy of it.

Anyhow, it rocks - even when I get the shit scared out of me whenever I push R and see a giant invincible stone guarding barreling towards me x_x

Mejilan said:

You know, when you're wandering around, and you just turn your character to the right, and you suddenly see this big monster coming down a corridor who wants to beat the shit out of you.

This game just loves freaking me out, with random scream sfx and zombies sneaking up on me.

Mejilan

A Link to the Snitch said:
You know, when you're wandering around, and you just turn your character to the right, and you suddenly see this big monster coming down a corridor who wants to beat the shit out of you.

This game just loves freaking me out, with random scream sfx and zombies sneaking up on me.

Oh, I guess I didn't quite feel that. :)

Gattsu25

Banned
damn it all, this game would be perfect for sneaking in a minute or two playtime at my job...then again...I rather *like* my job =\

I've been playing it for the past few nights and just got to the Darkfort. Great game all around. Makes me nostalgic for the good ol' days of M&M, Wizardry and Bard's Tale. Wish there were more like it. I bought Etrian Odyssey, but it's sitting idly by while I plow through this one.

Mejilan

If you like the former, you'll probably love the latter! But yeah, I wouldn't recommend playing them simultaneously! ^_^

Mejilan

No, but I think you can get him back. MUCH later. He's the ugly dude with the long yellow hair, the fighter, right?

TekunoRobby said:
Hey its this thread again. I loved this game. Can't wait for the DS sequel!

I bumped it!

Finally got my review copy from Graffiti, and I'm going to write up my review soon.

How's this score?

9 - gameplay
8 - graphics
8 or 9 - sound
9 - replay (/longevity)

Mejilan

There are a small handful of characters that CAN join your party, if you have a slot available. Usually, they're a one-time thing. So if you save them or talk to them or do whatever it is that triggers their option to join you, you'll get a prompt to replace one of your other characters with this new one. Unless I'm mistaken, you have a choice of allowing Ludren to rejoin you. I'm pretty sure I opted out of it, though.

All such encounters are 'story' related, I suppose. They're certainly not random.

Regarding those scores, I'd probably weigh them down. The game looks damn good for a GBA game, but has very poor animation and still chugs/lags quite a bit. It's also riddled with minor bugs here and there, a broken quest or two, a very sloppy localization, and not too much in the way of replay. It's very fun, and quite long, and has great dungeons, but the combat is a bit shallow, and though you can choose to raise alternate builds for your characters in subsequent playthroughs, they have very little impact in your overall combat strategy, and there are no alternate story arcs or endings to experience. Some of the tunes are pretty nice, but music is sparse, and of generally low quality by GBA standards.

A fantastic effort considering the team that made the game, but not AAA material.

Mejilan said:
There are a small handful of characters that CAN join your party, if you have a slot available. Usually, they're a one-time thing. So if you save them or talk to them or do whatever it is that triggers their option to join you, you'll get a prompt to replace one of your other characters with this new one. Unless I'm mistaken, you have a choice of allowing Ludren to rejoin you. I'm pretty sure I opted out of it, though.

All such encounters are 'story' related, I suppose. They're certainly not random.

Regarding those scores, I'd probably weigh them down. The game looks damn good for a GBA game, but has very poor animation and still chugs/lags quite a bit. It's also riddled with minor bugs here and there, a broken quest or two, a very sloppy localization, and not too much in the way of replay. It's very fun, and quite long, and has great dungeons, but the combat is a bit shallow, and though you can choose to raise alternate builds for your characters in subsequent playthroughs, they have very little impact in your overall combat strategy, and there are no alternate story arcs or endings to experience. Some of the tunes are pretty nice, but music is sparse, and of generally low quality by GBA standards.

A fantastic effort considering the team that made the game, but not AAA material.

I could see reducing the score in sound and visuals, but the positives far, far outweigh the negative for me, and replay includes longevity - but the webmaster won't change it to longevity so that it actually means both replay value and longevity.

But yeah, I LOVE this game. Haven't played anything like it since EotB on the SNES.

Mejilan

Oh, I love the game as well. But it's got issues, and some of them are pretty significant. I wouldn't be so liberal with the 9s. But that's me.

EotB. Great series. I have all 3 on the PC (and the GBA spinoff). I can't say I really remember the Sega CD and SNES conversions, but I can't imagine them standing up to the PC original.

Mejilan said:
Oh, I love the game as well. But it's got issues, and some of them are pretty significant. I wouldn't be so liberal with the 9s. But that's me.

EotB. Great series. I have all 3 on the PC (and the GBA spinoff). I can't say I really remember the Sega CD and SNES conversions, but I can't imagine them standing up to the PC original.

Really, I think the game's gameplay should be determined by how entertaining the experience is. Unless there's something game breaking in the game or the game all of a sudden gets notoriously cheap, I don't see the score broken.

A bump to give this game a final bit of love. It was great fun, flooding back a lot of memories as an old school dungeon romp. It wasn't without it's problems, especially in terms of being easy as hell, some technical problems with image garbaging in the main menu, and the final battle being simplecakes, but the nostalgia factor alone made me enjoy it.

It was clearly a first time effort with developers who clearly love the genre, so I have much hope that MoF 2 DS will be a more polished effort. I wouldn't score it as high as Snitch did, but easily solid 7's across the board. Is it a must own? *I* personally think so, because it's so much fun. Plus this seems to me to be a developer worth supporting.

thorns

Banned
I finally got this game and I can say that it's very enjoyable, and the game is definately more polished than I was expecting. Anyone who likes old school rpgs shouldn't miss this one.

Mejilan

Yep yep. The game's a flawed little treasure. It really shouldn't be missed by anyone who's ever had a passing fondness for the genre.

For the fans of MoF - the publisher has posted a few screenshots of the upcoming Mazes of Fate DS.

mofdslogob.jpg

screen9.jpg

screen11.jpg

Top Bottom