• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mazes of Fate: Official Thread (GBA 1st Person RPG)

bengraven

Ugh, I lost my 14 hour gamesave to the same bug. I loved this game, it was basically how I would want them to do an Elder Scrolls for DS.

I haven't played since the crash 6 months ago. Might have to pick up the DS version to check it out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I haven't played the new version much, but so far, I'm not too keen on it.

+The new opening is pretty nice. Not Lock's Quest awesome, but pretty nice nonetheless.
+New characters (and portraits) added when choosing your hero. Custom is still the way to go, IMHO, but the new portraits are a good addition.
+The new music sounds nice.
+Combat seems to work much like before. Simple, fun, mostly real-time.
+I could be mistaken, but I think the game has a new script. There's still some issues with inappropriately used synonyms, but it seems like the new script is quite cleaned up. Haven't gotten far enough to determine.
-The old music doesn't. Some of it does sound retouched, but some of the janky GBA compositions persist.
-Looks like most of the in-game 2D assets haven't changed. They weren't exactly spectacular to begin with.
-What I've seen of the new 3D dungeons makes me yearn for the old 2D ones.
-I didn't see any way to disable the touchscreen controls. Seems like they're forced, and I'm not liking them for 2D map movement and menu manipulation.
-3D touch controls try to emulate the mouse-look style of DS FPS shooters, only the sensitivity is way too low (and not adjustable), making anything more than 30 degree turns a chore of constant scratching, resetting, and scratching of the touch screen. It's tedious.
-To add to that, if a message pops up while you're navigating a 3D dungeon and you're in the middle of a scratch/reset/scratch pattern, one of those taps will kill the message long before you've had a chance to register them.

With other, better portable RPGs, I'll probably be setting this one down for now. I'm not at all pleased with the new controls, and some of the other changes. Perhaps I just need more time to grow into the changes, but with all of the other handheld games battling for my attention, time is something I can't really give to this remake. Not right now.

Yech, the navigation interface sounds pretty shitty. I was actually expecting it to be something like this once I saw the first videos, but I expected there to be a way to disable the touch-and-drag FPS interface in favor of a more traditional grid-based navigation (like Orcs & Elves, and perhaps the first Mazes of Fate - I never played it).

I might just go for the GBA version now. I held off on it 'til we saw more of the DS version, but I'm not sold on it based on these descriptions or the vids...had to cancel my reservation anyway for unrelated reasons, so maybe it was for the best.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The mouse-look could have been awesome if there was a way you could ratchet the sensitivity way up to mimic Dementium, Metroid Prime Hunters, etc. As it is, it's just annoying.

This is disappointing since the I enjoyed the first one so much. I'll still keep an eye out for the Wii sequel (should have stayed on the DS).

I've been playing the DS version off and on for about a week now, and so far have been enjoying it. It takes a little bit to get used to the controls, but then I find them to work very similar to a PC keyboard and mouse scheme. Most activities are drag and drop. For instance, to equip something, just drag it from the inventory or the ground on top of the character portrait. Same with using potions and the like, just drag & drop 'em.

NolbertoS

Just heard of this game today, how I missed it from my radar is unthinkable. Watched the youtube videos and I'm wanting a Elderscrolls DS type game ala Ultima Underworld.

Top Bottom