• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s UK to launch premium burger line to challenge Five Guys, Shake Shack, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.theguardian.com/business...nch-premium-burger-range-to-avert-competition

McDonald’s is to launch a premium range of burgers in Britain to head off growing competition from rival chains such as Five Guys and Shake Shack.

The burgers, called the Signature Collection, will include the thickest ever patty sold by McDonald’s. They have been developed in conjunction with chefs from Michelin-starred restaurants.

They could also be sold in McDonald’s restaurants around the world if they prove popular in the UK. The company is facing growing competition from gourmet burger chains, particularly in the US where Five Guys and Shake Shack were founded.

The new burgers will be served in brioche-style buns. They will cost £4.69.

McDonald’s is taking advantage of its new table service system to launch the burgers. The extra thickness of the meat means customers will have to wait for their burger to be served, in contrast to the company’s traditional hamburgers and Big Macs.

Duncan Cruttenden, food development director, said the burgers had been developed with the help of customer feedback and with the company’s internal chef council, which includes those who have worked at Michelin-starred restaurants.

“At McDonald’s we are committed to listening to our customers and evolving our menu to offer something for everyone,” he said.

“When the chef council started to develop this new premium offering, we worked with a brief generated by our customers – they told us they wanted thicker beef patties and high quality ingredients, freshly prepared.

“We’ve crafted a range that is a truly exciting permanent addition to our menu – every product has to earn a place and our customers have told us the signature collection has done just that.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/T...nald-s-introduces-signature-burgers-in-the-UK

The Classic: 100% British and Irish beef patty, two rashers of beechwood-smoked bacon, a slice of natural Cheddar cheese, whole-grain mustard mayo, ketchup, Batavia lettuce and red onion on a brioche-style bun;

The BBQ: 100% British and Irish beef patty, smoky BBQ sauce, coleslaw, red onion, Batavia lettuce, beechwood-smoked bacon and a slice of natural Cheddar cheese on a Brioche-style bun
Test your knowledge Who owns Gatorade: Coke or Pepsi? Take our 'parent company' quiz!
Photos of the Day Photos of the Day 11/05

The Spicy: 100% British and Irish beef patty, jalapeño slices, pepper-Jack cheese, Batavia lettuce, mayo and a spicy relish on a Brioche-style bun.

h7aGJf3.jpg

PIIabGD.jpg

bKVwTWJ.jpg

When are they going to learn that this crap isn't going to save them. They need to embrace being crappy and just lower prices in whatever way they have too. Trying to rebrand again and again and again isn't working and isn't going to work.

Stet

Banned
When are they going to learn that this crap isn't going to save them. They need to embrace being crappy and just lower prices in whatever way they have too. Trying to rebrand again and again and again isn't working and isn't going to work.

This isn't a rebrand.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yes buying premium burger is exactly what from Mcdonald....not. ¬_¬;

I just want cheaper food or at least get more for my money.

Miles X

Doesn't work in America cos you guys have like 50 different options. UK is very limited for burger joints outside of London.

norm9

Tempted to try if i lived in the UK. My advice when it comes to new burgers at McD's is to try them within the first week because that's when the workers actually try to make them with some effort. About a week after, its usually overly dry and looks like they stepped on it before handing it to you.

They woke up like four years too late.

Nothing is going to save them now

Also having two types of burgers is kinda shitting on your own product. Like, if this is premium what the fuck have you been serving me for the last decade, what's their answer for that?

Obviously I know the answer, but as a media and public standpoint it kinda speaks for itself.

Also having two types of burgers is kinda shitting on your own product. Like, if this is premium what the fuck have you been serving me for the last decade, what's their answer for that?

Obviously I know the answer, but as a media and public standpoint it kinda speaks for itself.

There are plenty of things that will still save them.

Cheaper food, less options, smaller menues. Embrace being McDonald's instead of trying to be a high end fast casual place.

McDonalds Signature? The signature taste of McDonalds doesn't make me think premium. McDonalds will never give me a Five Guys quality burger, and they're out of their fucking minds if they think I'll pay Five Guys money there.

Konka

Banned
You guys realize It's only McDonalds USA that is having a tough time right? And they're still massively profitable, right?

Stet

Banned

They don't need saving. McDonald's UK sales have been rising year over year.

Miles X

Horrible, horrible idea

Just make a McDouble better and back to one buck

Make medium fries 1$

Increase portions, raise prices

Christ ... it even says UK in the title. Why are you talking about $1?????

Well yes, but the majority of their sales are still domestic US. They need to stabalize the bleeding there despite international expansion. They still make a profit but they've been declining.

This is entirely about the UK though? Nothing to do with flagging sales in the US ...

You guys realize It's only McDonalds USA that is having a tough time right? And they're still massively profitable, right?

Well yes, but the majority of their sales are still domestic US. They need to stabalize the bleeding there despite international expansion. They still make a profit but they've been declining.

otapnam

Yep. They should just improve all patties period. And make a line of jr and regular sized burgers based on size.

Then think about adding premium toppings(bacon or fried onions).

People dont want garbage patties or fake premium burgers or gimmicks.

Tansut

Drop all your premium shit across the board, bring back the Big N' Tasty and cut prices down as much as you can.

That's it. That's all you gotta do McD's.

Liberty4all

Banned
As I always say in mcd threads ... Nobody goes to McDonalds for gourmet food. The problem is that their prices on the shit food we love is too high.

Its always been about prices.

A big mac combo needs to cost 3.99 - 4.99. THAT would get me buying from the regular menu at McDonalds. Until then its going to be a 2 dollar value menu McDouble on the VERY rare occasion I have a McCraving.

I would get regular menu McDonalds more often but the prices are a ripoff compared to the competition. McDonalds is a 4 - 5 dollar meal not 8.50 plus tax charged in Canada.

Bring it over to the States, I'd try it. I keep hearing about how the end is near for McDonalds. Are they really losing money, or are their sales just declining? They keep building new ones where I am. They're always totally packed at lunch time, and fairly busy in the mornings. I just don't understand how they could be in the red.

Miles X

I'm well aware of the U.K. Focus. Don't really see how the general sentiment doesn't apply

Because as I said above, there is no real competition for cheap or premium burgers in the UK outside of HUGE cities. Burger King and McDonalds and that's it. So I guess they think they have a shot at capturing a different market.

I've not been there in years but last time I went it already seemed pretty cheap? Cheapest fast food out of any place in the UK anyhow, maybe just beat by Subway.

Bring it over to the States, I'd try it. I keep hearing about how the end is near for McDonalds. Are they really losing money, or are their sales just declining? They keep building new ones where I am. They're always totally packed at lunch time, and fairly busy in the mornings. I just don't understand how they could be in the red.
The end is not near. Their market share has shrunk slightly. People here are either delusional or just filled with lustful hate.

A quick check shows last quarters revenue was like 6 billion dollars with a 20% profit margin.

Kozak

Banned
I have to say I've been a big fan of create your own taste in Australia.

There is a significant jump in the quality of the burger and ingredients, at least in my experience.

Its generally got pretty decent reviews by diners too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

They don't need saving. McDonald's UK sales have been rising year over year.

Christ ... it even says UK in the title. Why are you talking about $1?????

This is entirely about the UK though? Nothing to do with flagging sales in the US ...

To be fair, the article does say that if these new burgers perform well in the UK, they may bring them to the US.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It's not about how thick the burger is. I don't get Carl's Jr Thickburgers because they're too beefy and too greasy. You need balance.

Five Guys gets this right, AND the ingredients are superior.

Kyoufu

Premium burgers here are too expensive. I'd rather just make them at home to be honest.

Two burgers and two extremely small portion of fries costs the equivalent of $60 here at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. It's fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom