• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: 28 Aug - 3 Sep

castle007

Banned
Square, WTF???

Bring the new shipments for FFIII. You have a potential million seller and you are still on the intial shipment.

Brofist

Is there anyone who tracks PC game sales in Japan. I was kinda surprised, yesterday I was at Yodobashi and the PC version of PSU was completely sold out.

So Square-Enix made raw $29,000,000 on FFIII DS during launch period. I wonder, how much do you guys think it cost them to make?

Link648099 said:
So Square-Enix made raw $29,000,000 on FFIII DS during launch period. I wonder, how much do you guys think it cost them to make?

actually, they would have sold it to the retailer for less than the 5900 yen, so they probably would have made a bit less than that in terms of revenue. Still, I can't imagine it cost anywhere NEAR that to make, so, S-E is pretty much banking at this point.

heavenly

Link648099 said:

Since this was a special remake with a robust NDS 3-D engine, with some CGI to boot, the game probably cost them around 4-6 million (including marketing, et al.). They probably make $20-$25 off each game sold. That would be about 11 - 13.75 mil. Subtract the cost to make the game, and they most likely have profited 5-9 million thus far.

Not too bad since they were w/n %25 of their sales target. They're satisfied with the profit they pocketed and most likely don't care about "what could have been". :p

cvxfreak

heavenly said:
Since this was a special remake with a robust NDS 3-D engine, with some CGI to boot, the game probably cost them around 4-6 million (including marketing, et al.). They probably make $20-$25 off each game sold. That would be about 11 - 13.75 mil. Subtract the cost to make the game, and they most likely have profited 5-9 million thus far.

Not too bad since they were w/n %25 of their sales target. They're satisfied with the profit they pocketed and most likely don't care about "what could have been". :p

Throw in western sales, too.

The Faceless Master said:
so it'll clear a million this week, and be the #1 selling DS game by the end of the month? (or #2 if pokebomb really does come with the thunder)

You mean, and I quote whoever made that thread, it will clear the "HAY THERE 3 million club line"?

Jiggy

The Faceless Master said:
so it'll clear a million this week, and be the #1 selling DS game by the end of the month? (or #2 if pokebomb really does come with the thunder)
I'll :lol so hard (and smile huge) if Pokemon clears three million in three days. It's not going to happen, but man, if it did...

Jonnyram said:
4. Final Fantasy III 45,949 - 549,001

labombacp0.jpg

:(

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
11. Brain Age
12. PSP / VALHALLA KNIGHTS
13. Eve ~new generation~
14. English Training DS
15. Mario Kart DS
16. Kamiwaza
17. Tetris DS
18. DS/ Metal Saga
19. GuitarFreaks & DrumMania MASTERPIECE SILVER
20. Rune Factory Shin Bokujou Monogatari
21. Jissen Pachislot! Hokuto no Ken SE
22. Kokoro wo Yasumeru Otona no Nurie DS
23. Daito Pachislot Simulator Hihouden
24. PSP/ SD Gundam G Generation Portable
25. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 13
26. Minna no Seminar Kanpeki Kanji
27. Digimon Story
28. Monster Hunter Portable
29. Big Brain Academy
30. Melty Blood Act Cadenza

I wouldn't rule it out yet. The holiday could be kind to it.

Wait, what? Metal Saga DS? How the **** did that game get so high up on the charts? It came out two months ago, bombed straight off the charts... what the heck?

ethelred said:
Wait, what? Metal Saga DS? How the **** did that game get so high up on the charts? It came out two months ago, bombed straight off the charts... what the heck?

That was mistake. It's Cho Soju Meka MG(Super Control Mech MG).

As for FFIII, the copies don't exist on any stores except Shikoku area.
It's sold out, baby.
According to Shinobi, there's another shipment this week. But the quantity is quite low.

ethelred

Michirou_53 said:
That was mistake. It's Cho Soju Meka MG(Super Control Mech MG).

Thanks. That was quite baffling.

Michirou_53 said:
It's sold out, baby.
According to Shinobi, there's another shipment this week. But the quantity is quite low.

Square Enix had seriously better get some more copies of this game out there really freaking quickly.

ethelred said:
Square Enix had seriously better get some more copies of this game out there really freaking quickly.

Probably, it's the production/factory matter. The production lines are busy working on making a game that sells much bigger volume...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
there is no one to blame here but SE, they royally **** themselves up with such a low shipment of the game.

Tabris

Most RPGs appear first for the week then drop off in a couple weeks.

Final Fantasy III is no exception. Neither will be Phantasy Star Universe.

Just Nintendo and misc games have "legs". RPGs have legs outside the top 10, but not in the top 10 ever. Not even the DS "miracle" (plague more like, lol) can get it to stay in the top 10 after 3-4 weeks.

ethelred

Tabris said:
Most RPGs appear first for the week then drop off in a couple weeks.

Final Fantasy III is no exception.

Yeah, they usually drop off pretty quickly when they're 99% sold out.

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
Yeah, they usually drop off pretty quickly when they're 99% sold out.

Yep.

Michirou_53 said:
It's sold out, baby.

ethelred

Tabris said:
Time to quote you in 3 weeks :p

What's there to quote? The game is sold out. Square Enix shipped 550,000 copies, and according to Media Create, they have sold 549,001 copies. Do you dispute these facts? Do you deny that the game is sold out when all objective, factual evidence indicates otherwise? Have you found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?

Right now we seem to be seeing a lot of people around here existing in their own special brand of reality, and insisting that FF3 dropped because of lack of popularity or because demand has been exhausted when all of Japan has only 1,000 copies left in all the shelves in all the gaming stores certainly qualifies.

Tabris said:
Time to quote you in 3 weeks :p

Tabris, consider the amount of times you've actually been right considering projected DS software sales. If you really want FFIII to fail miserably so you can laugh at the Nintards, consider changing your current prediction.

cvxfreak

Dragona Akehi said:
Tabris, consider the amount of times you've actually been right considering projected DS software sales. If you really want FFIII to fail miserably so you can laugh at the Nintards, consider changing your current prediction.

He called the DS a plague. :(

Tabris

Dragona Akehi said:

Actually I want FF3 to do very well, I don't know why I'm argueing for it to fail.

Yeah, nevermind what I said. Go FF3 but still keep my comment about plague :p

ethelred

Tabris said:
Actually I want FF3 to do very well, I don't know why I'm argueing for it to fail.

Yeah, nevermind what I said. Go FF3 but still keep my comment about plague :p

Just because it gives you the runs that doesn't mean it's a plague.

Jonnyram said:
FFIII is back in stock now!

I wonder why they bothered shipping more. I doubt anyone will want to buy it since the first week has passed.

LOL, with Sony's latest PS3 production f-ck up, Tabris is going to have to run double damage control with Media Create numbers this fall from both the Wii and DS.

Have fun, buddy :lol

mj1108

ethelred said:
Time to save all his quotes for when Crisis Core launches. :lol

You'd think after all this time he'd learn to just stop showing up in these threads with all the bad "predictions" he's made.

Yamauchi said:
I don't think FF3 will have great legs. I do hope it'll hit a million, though. I want more DS RPG goodness.

Considering it SOLD OUT of its original shipment to SE's apparent gape-mouthed surprise, I doubt DS RPG goodness is far off.

ethelred

Yamauchi said:
I don't think FF3 will have great legs. I do hope it'll hit a million, though. I want more DS RPG goodness.

Dragona Akehi said:
Considering it SOLD OUT of its original shipment to SE's apparent gape-mouthed surprise, I doubt DS RPG goodness is far off.

No doubt. DS RPGs are kicking ass, and after this performance, there really isn't the slightest question that Square Enix is massively cranking up its DS development riiiiiiight now.

Top Bottom