• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Dec 12 - 18

Joe Molotov

heavenly said:
I'm disappointed that Mario & Wario (Nintendo's sales pillars) permitted new franchises to outsell them. I mean, c'mon. Mario & Wario couldn't hit a mil, but the Brain Training games will easily. Nintendogs most likely will too? If the new Super Mario game doesn't sell 1mil, then it's time for Mario to pack up his bags.

In Japan maybe, but worldwide both series have sold over 1 Million copies. Mario 64 DS has sold over a million in North American alone. And Wario Ware is not exactly some old established franchise, the first game came out in 2003.

Joe Molotov said:
In Japan maybe, but worldwide both series have sold over 1 Million copies. Mario 64 DS has sold over a million in North American alone. And Wario Ware is not exactly some old established franchise, the first game came out in 2003.

Yeah, I don't think Wario can be considered a "pillar". Wario's a Mario spin-off, it'll never sell as well as Mario does. Same with Yoshi and Donkey Kong (although technically, Mario's a spin-off of DK).

heavenly

Well, I considered Wario a pillar because the character is old, yet still popular. And from what I understand, his games have sold relatively well, consistently, especially the Wario Ware games. And yes, I was only referring to Japan.

It's good that Nintendo is creativing new franchises (Animal Forest, Nintendogs) and genres. But, I think they have reduced Mario's value with so many spin off games, w/o creating a true, 2-D Mario game for all these years.

I don't think the hype will be as strong as many anticipate. That's the reason why I think the new Mario game will most likely do Metal Gear #'s, when it should really do...about twice that.

cvxfreak

Dengeki is up.

Tales of the Abyss: 355,000
Animal Crossing DS: 208,000 / 894,000
Mario Kart DS: 147,000 / 369,000
Final Fantasy IV Advance: 88,000
Brain Training: 973,000

DS: 375,000
Xbox 360: 13,500 :)lol :lol :lol)

CVXFREAK said:
Dengeki is up.

are these this weeks hardware numbers?

polg

CVXFREAK said:
Dengeki is up.

i dunno if I should laugh, feel sorry... or something... mixed emotions...

that bombed BADLY... will DOA4 save the day?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Xbox 360: 13,500
360noselloutscreen0016aa6os.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

mj1108

Smiles and Cries said:
are these this weeks hardware numbers?

They're Dengeki's HW numbers. They are just there to tease us until the Media Create numbers (the official GAF numbers) show up.

puck1337

Looks like the DS lineup has really gelled. Any worries about MK and AC cannibalizing each others sales seems to have been misguided. Not sure that Mario & Luigi 2 will escape this problem, but to be fair it isn't on the same level of popularity as MK or AC.

Don't really have much to say about 360 or PSP sales other than that it's very early for both systems and both parent companies are very powerful and employ a lot of smart people.

mj1108 said:
They're Dengeki's HW numbers. They are just there to tease us until the Media Create numbers (the official GAF numbers) show up.

oh ok so I can knock about 70,000 off the DS numbers
and 4,000 off the X360 to get media create numbers :D

heavenly said:
I'm disappointed that Mario & Wario (Nintendo's sales pillars) permitted new franchises to outsell them. I mean, c'mon. Mario & Wario couldn't hit a mil, but the Brain Training games will easily. Nintendogs most likely will too? If the new Super Mario game doesn't sell 1mil, then it's time for Mario to pack up his bags.

I think you're being a tad harsh here. Last time I saw Life to Date figures for Japan, both Wario Ware & Super Mario 64 DS came in with about 700k - 800k units. Certainly nothing to sneeze at. And, I'm sure their sales are increasing during this time period, like the other DS titles. In the end, they should come close to a million, if not break it.

To put those sales (and the amazing performances of Animal Crossing, Brain Training/Gentle Brain Training, and Nintendogs) in perspective, consider the fact that NO GBA title, save Pokemon insert edition here (and now Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros.?), broke the one million unit barrier over the entire lifetime of the system. It's a rare game that tops one million units sold in Japan nowadays . . . which is why it's amazing that so many games are closing in on that elusive mark in the DS's first year.

cvxfreak

If it's any meaningful to anyone:

1. Pokemon Emerald's at #38, just one place below Irregular Hunter X
2. Super Donkey Kong 3 is climbing
3. FFIV Advance is performing considerably worse than FFI + II, which debuted at 158,000 and stopped at 305,000

Snaku

Banned
CVXFREAK said:

Brilliant move with that worldwide launch there MS. Every single unit you shipped to Japan could have been sold during the US launch, but you had to bust your Japan nut before you were ready. Should have waited for DOA4, and Blue Dragon.

cvxfreak

Microsoft wouldn't be so dumb as to buy them back and convert them to US units before tossing them towards the U.S. Or they can gather some up and sell them as special limited editions on their site or something. :lol

polg

CVXFREAK said:
Microsoft wouldn't be so dumb as to buy them back and convert them to US units before tossing them towards the U.S. Or they can gather some up and sell them as special limited editions on their site or something. :lol
landfills?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Jonnyram said:
I just noticed...
Shadow the Hedgehog did not make the top 50 on any console.

:lol

Which automatically makes the Japanese public >>>> UK and US public.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Calidor said:
:lol Im not sure if i should laugh or weep. MS said that they were going to try really hard to break into the Japanese market and just look at what happened. It doesnt really come as a surprise though. I never imagined that Xbox would ever take off in japan, not even with the release of Xbox360. The only way I can imagine MS gaining a large marketshare in japan is if they gained exclusive rights to FF, but i seriously doubt that would ever happen.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
CVXFREAK said:
Pokemon Emerald's at #38, just one place below Irregular Hunter X
Inafune, you fool...wrong portable :p

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Jonnyram said:
http://game10.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1135225782/422

Seems your sarcasm is lost on the Japanese, CVXFREAK.
They thought you were some kind of PSP fanboy or something :lol

"No matter where you go, there's always this kind of person."
■ソフト売上を見守るスレッド vol.666■

422 :名無しさん必死だな :2005/12/22(木) 15:45:13 ID:45s95Mzf
Originally Posted by CVXFREAK:
Dengeki is up.

TOO LOW! BOMBA!

うはwwww何処に行ってもこういうやつは居るんだな

Roofles! CVX is international now!

Top Bottom