• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/12 - 01/18

RpgN said:
Why is he only mentioning Enix in the first place? The Square side has My Life as a King, Chocobo Dungeon wii, FFCC Echoes of Time, Crystal Defenders and Crystal Bearers that is not cancelled.
I'd say the list needs Square, Sega, NamBan and Konami - to really get a list of *major* Japanese publishers. Bonus points for including Atlus and NIS.

RpgN

wrowa said:
But Fragile isn't a Square Enix game or something that sells because of his brand name. The V&B team (or Project Fragile, which is the studio's new name) isn't a big player, so I don't think we can say that because V&B sold nearly 100k these numbers are also possible for Fragile – Fragile is a complete different game.

Agreed, I don't think the name means much here.

Bmf, true that would give a bigger picture.

wrowa

bmf said:
I'd say the list needs Square, Sega, NamBan and Konami - to really get a list of *major* Japanese publishers. Bonus points for including Atlus and NIS.
Well, Atlus is easy :p

PS3
-nothing

-nothing

Wii
-nothing

Phew, after all of this hard work I seriously need a break!

(Okay, they actually released Trauma Center: Second Opinion and New Blood for Wii but otherwise Atlus still relies on PS2 and on the handheld market )

wrowa said:
Well, Atlus is easy :p

PS3
-nothing

-nothing

Wii
-nothing

Phew, after all of this hard work I seriously need a break!

(Okay, they actually released Trauma Center: Second Opinion and New Blood for Wii but otherwise Atlus still relies on PS2 and on the handheld market )
Baroque and Dokapon Kingdom for the Wii.

donny2112 said:
Probably has something to do with being well ahead of the PS2 versions. :p

Notice that orange line above all the other lines through 30 days or so on botticus's graph? That's the Wii version.
Yeah. And do you see that black line, that purple line, that green line, that blue line, and that red line above that? Those are all PS2 versions. My question was interpreting "ahead of" as total sales; his intention was "on a week-by-week basis". Sorry for my error, but I think it was an understandable one.

In my opinion, it was a lot dumber for me to miss the group Joshua had already set up. Oops!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Liabe Brave said:
Yeah. And do you see that black line, that purple line, that green line, that blue line, and that red line above that? Those are all PS2 versions. My question was interpreting "ahead of" as total sales; his intention was "on a week-by-week basis". Sorry for my error, but I think it was an understandable one.

In my opinion, it was a lot dumber for me to miss the group Joshua had already set up. Oops!

Yeah my bad for not being as clear as I could have been.

Konami - According to Wikipedia:

PS3
o Mahjong Kakutou Club

o Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
o Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4

o Metal Gear Online
o Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
o Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5
o Silent Hill: Homecoming

o Bomberman: Act Zero (Japan, North America & Europe)
o Rumble Roses XX (Japan, North America & Europe)

o Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Japan, North America, Europe & Australia)

o Silent Hill: Homecoming

* TBA
o Pro Yayku Spirits

Wii
o Elebits

o Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party
o Dewy's Adventure
o Kororinpa: Marble Mania
o MLB Power Pros
o Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
o Wing Island

o Lost in Blue: ShipWrecked

o Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
o Castlevania Judgement
o Kororinpa 2

I've tried to pare it down to just JP releases, but it may need some adjustment.

Spiegel

bmf said:
Konami
Wii
o Lost in Blue: ShipWrecked

I've tried to pare it down to just JP releases, but it may need some adjustment.

+ Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15
+ Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 3

And PES 2008 was released in 08'

PS3/360
+ Castlevania Next (TBA)

Spiegel said:
+ Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15
+ Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 3

And PES 2008 was released in 08'

PS3/360
+ Castlevania Next (TBA)
Was Castlevania actually announced, or was it a journalist asking IGA what he thought of doing a Castlevania game for the PS3?

EDarkness

Vinnk, I know what you mean about the price collapsing, but the funny thing is in my area price collapses are rare. For example, I can still walk into my local Bic Camera and pick up a copy of Sky Crawlers at full price. Same with No More Heroes. The Bic Camera by my house has started to put Wii "core" games in their own little section, and it seems slowly but surely games are selling. No idea why other places drop the price so fast, especially for Wii games.

Anyway, from my anecdotal evidence, I know many people who have given up on the Wii. The flow of the games they want has slowed down to a crawl and there's too much noise for them to really pay attention. My students and friends all are big DS gamers, though. That side of things seems to be pretty healthy. Oh, and the PS3 and 360 seem to be picking up steam as well. Unless something happens on the Wii front and soon, it's going to be losing out on mindshare and I imagine that can't be good.

I don't know what happened to this generation of gaming, but I think third party developers need to get on the ball. There's no reason for it to be this bad.

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
You'll notice the HD systems aren't exactly getting more of those sorts of announcements. Capcom Japan specifically hasn't announced anything original for a HD platform since before PS3 launch, and even moved one their announced HD games (MH3) to Wii. donny's right, publishers were just caught unprepared by how the market played out and it's been a slow correction. And again, announcing the two biggest JP 3rd party games in Japan as Wii exclusives isn't exactly a sign of little faith and waiting things out for the next round. In fact both series would've perfectly fine happily continuing in handhelds and skipping Wii altogether were that the case

And it's not like MH3 and DQX are the lone examples of shift even... we've got Sengoku Musou 3, Tales of Ten and other popular mid tier JP games all suddenly moving Wii bound too.
How do you define "original"?

EDIT: I know that you said Capcom Japan specificly, but what about the games that are made and/or published by Capcom outside of Japan, maybe those games will be released in Japan as well :)

Captain Smoker said:
Zill O'll (PSP) 18000 50%

Fragile (Wii) 16000 45%

Left 4 Dead (X360) 13000

Haruhi (Wii) 8500 30%

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1232706429/

Hmm seems that Fragile met expectations (most games are suppose to meet a 50% sell through their initial launch).

Damn at Left 4 Dead.

EDIT - *Reads through thread* Sweet Jesus why is it that if a game (especially a Wii game) doesn't open up with 70k or more on it's opening day it's a "flop" or performing "under expectations"? The game had a 45% sell through. "But it was one of the BIG Wii games!" No it wasn't it was an A (from the Budget, B, A, AA, AAA criteria) budgeted game. People seriously have to set realistic expectations for these games.

Link said:
Well, so far, Capcom has given the PS3/360 DMC4, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet with RE5, SFIV, and Bionic Commando coming up. All these games also received/will receiving huge marketing pushes.

On the SE side, we've had The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery, with FFXIII, Star Ocean IV, and Rapture upcoming.

I'd say all of those are either huge brands, or large-scale original IP's with a lot of effort put behind them.

EDIT - But that's what I'm pretty much saying. The Wii isn't getting any big-budget games. And on the rare occasion that they get something even close to one, like Fragile, it's sent to die.

...You do realize that it takes 3 to 4 years, at the earliest, to create these games correct?

test_account said:

EDIT: I know that you said Capcom Japan specificly, but what about the games that are made and/or published by Capcom outside of Japan, maybe those games will be released in Japan as well :)

Capcom hasn't announced anything "Big" since the generations beginning beside Bionic Commando and Street Fighter IV. Both which were well over a year ago and were already in development then.

botticus

Liabe Brave said:

To be precise, the black line and the green line are Taiko 2 DS and Taiko DS, respectively. So only 3 PS2 versions ahead of it, and it will probably pass one if not two of those.

test_account

XP-39C²
Flying_Phoenix said:
Capcom hasn't announced anything "Big" since the generations beginning beside Bionic Commando and Street Fighter IV. Both which were well over a year ago and were already in development then.
"Big" and original can be 2 different things though. For example, making a small downloadable game can be very original in that sence (as in something we havnt really seen too much of before regarding the gameplay), but the game doesnt necessarily have to be "big" (you mean big as in "big title name" like Resident Evil for example by the way?).

Capcom is also publishing Dark Void by the way, which was debuted (at least the debute trailer) at Gamer's Day 07 back in 2007. Judging by the release date of the debute trailer, i would guess that this game has been in development for something around 2 years. I guess i would define Dark Void as "big" based on this :)

test_account said:
"Big" and original can be 2 different things though. For example, making a small downloadable game can be very original in that sence (as in something we havnt really seen too much of before regarding the gameplay), but the game doesnt necessarily have to be "big" (you mean big as in "big title name" like Resident Evil for example by the way?).

Capcom is also publishing Dark Void by the way, which was debuted (at least the debute trailer) at Gamer's Day 07 back in 2007. Judging by the release date of the debute trailer, i would guess that this game has been in development for something around 2 years. I guess i would define Dark Void as "big" based on this :)

Ahh I forgot about Dark Void. But yeah big in the sense I'm talking about is something that's assumed to be a heavy seller hitter.

But yeah Capcom has been awfully quite since then.

test_account

XP-39C²
Flying_Phoenix said:
Ahh I forgot about Dark Void. But yeah big in the sense I'm talking about is something that's assumed to be a heavy seller hitter.

But yeah Capcom has been awfully quite since then.
Ye, Dark Void might not exactly be the most known game title out there. I had almost forgotten about the game myself, and i didnt know (or i forgot) that Capcom published the game. I just found out when i searched for upcoming Capcom games earlier tonight :)

Ok, i know what you mean :) I wonder how much Dark Void will sell. I am not sure it will do too much better than what western developed games usually sells in Japan, somewhere between 5k and 25k LTD maybe?

Dark Void is probably not the next Resident Evil game or so (regarding popularity and sales), but the Dark Void title itself can maybe be categorized as "big", or at least "medium big" or what i shall say :)

schuelma

Well since we're in a Media Create thread, I think a better question is what games from Capcom Japan have been announced lately. If I remember correctly, Dark Void, Spyborgs, and Bionic Commando are more Capcom USA projects.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Well since we're in a Media Create thread, I think a better question is what games from Capcom Japan have been announced lately. If I remember correctly, Dark Void, Spyborgs, and Bionic Commando are more Capcom USA projects.
Sure, but what i ment was that these games are probably coming out in Japan as well. I am not sure, but even if Capcom has different regions i would assume that they are one company all in all. Even if Capcom Japan doesnt specificly makes and/or announce a game, it is probably still a chance that Capcom will release this game in Japan as well, so in that case Capcom Japan has done something if you know what i mean, at least in my opinion :)

schuelma

test_account said:
Sure, but what i ment was that these games are probably coming out in Japan as well. I am not sure, but even if Capcom has different regions i would assume that they are one company all in all. Even if Capcom Japan doesnt specificly makes and/or announce a game, it is probably still a chance that Capcom will release this game in Japan as well, so in that case Capcom Japan has done something if you know what i mean, at least in my opinion :)

Ok, but if we're talking about Japanese developers in the Japanese market, I don't think something like Dark Void or Spyborgs should really be mentioned with Monster Hunter in terms of some measurement of Japanese support. I mean something like DMC probably appeals to both regions, but Dark Void and Spyborgs are extremely Western oriented projects.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Cosmonaut X said:
He's only talking about Enix.

Because the person he was replying to only mentioned Capcom and Enix.

I guess you are high as well, unless enix announced Dragon Quest X for 360.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Ok, but if we're talking about Japanese developers in the Japanese market, I don't think something like Dark Void or Spyborgs should really be mentioned with Monster Hunter in terms of some measurement of Japanese support. I mean something like DMC probably appeals to both regions, but Dark Void and Spyborgs are extremely Western oriented projects.
I agree, i sort of wrote that myself in a previous post here where i said that Dark Void might have a LTD of something in between 5k to 25k in Japan like many of the western developed games have sold on the PS3 and/or on the Xbox 360, and if Dark Void ends up selling like this in Japan, then this isnt really a big game when it comes to sales in Japan.

I wasnt really thinking too much about the good support though. What i bolded jarrod on was about the announcement of original games, so i was mostly wondering how he defined "original" :) I could have made that clearer, sorry :\

But speaking about support, Monster Hunter 3 will get a bigger LTD than something like 5k to 25k copies sold, i didnt mean to say that Dark Void was some great support or close to the support like with Monster Hunter 3. I just wanted to say that Dark Void might come to Japan, and that Dark Void is an announced game which Capcom is publishing :)

By the way, how many games are Capcom Japan working on at the moment counting every gaming system?

EDIT: I added and fixed some of the text.

schuelma

test_account said:
By the way, how many games are Capcom Japan working on at the moment counting every gaming system?

Good question

MH3?

RE4 port team working on Dead Rising Wii?

SFIV but I think part of that is even outsourced?

I don't think we know too much about Capcom Japan at the moment..

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Good question

MH3?

Ye, those games i think at least :) And Resident Evil 5 too, or is that game outsourced? Resident Evil 5 is relatively close to release though, so the work on this game is probably soon over (except if they keep on doing patches for the game and maybe port the game to the PC later on, and maybe to the Wii as well?).

jarrod

Banned
wrowa said:
But Fragile isn't a Square Enix game or something that sells because of his brand name. The V&B team (or Project Fragile, which is the studio's new name) isn't a big player, so I don't think we can say that because V&B sold nearly 100k these numbers are also possible for Fragile – Fragile is a completely different game.
V&B is also a sequel. I don't think any of Project Venus's previous games really make for a great comparison, but Seven would probably be better than V&B honestly.

test_account said:

Original means ground up for the HD platforms. The only announcements they've gotten from Capcom post PS3 launch have been arcade ports (SF4), produced by Capcom USA (Dark Void, Bionic Commando, XBLA/PSN stuff, etc) or eliminating PS3 exlusives (DMC4, MH3). They haven't been getting anything on level with the pre-launch announcements (RE5, DMC4, internally developed ground up stuff).

schuelma said:
Good question

MH3?

Supposedly there was a Zack & Wiki sequel and MegaMan Action RPG for Wii in development that both might've stalled. :(

There's also a few handheld games (MegaMan StarForce 3, Perfect Prosecutor, Basara PSP, etc) but it does seem like Capcom's internal R&D has slowed, on PS2/GC/Xbox/GBA they had tons of games constantly going.

And since people are asking, here's Capcom USA's output, which pretty runs heavily XBLA/PSN multiplatform focused actually...

*denotes exclusive

Xbox 360
-Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting (2006) Sensory Sweep
-Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix (2007) Backbone Entertainment
-Rocketmen: Axis of Evil (2008) ACRONYM Games
-Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 (2008) Backbone Entertainment
-1942: Joint Strike (2008) Backbone Entertainment
-Bionic Commando Rearmed (2008) GRIN
-Age of Booty (2008) Certain Affinity
-Moto GP 08 (2008) Milestone
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix (2008) Backbone Entertainment
-Flock (2009) Proper Games
-Dark Void (2009) Airtight Games
-Bionic Commando (2009) GRIN
-Talisman (tba) Big Rooster

PlayStation 3
-Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix (2007) Backbone Entertainment
-Rocketmen: Axis of Evil (2008) ACRONYM Games
-Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 (2008) Backbone Entertainment
-1942: Joint Strike (2008) Backbone Entertainment
-Bionic Commando Rearmed (2008) GRIN
-Age of Booty (2008) Certain Affinity
-Moto GP 08 (2008) Milestone
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix (2008) Backbone Entertainment
-Flock (2009) Proper Games
-Dark Void (2009) Airtight Games
-Bionic Commando (2009) GRIN
-Talisman (tba) Big Rooster

Wii
-Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law (2008) High Voltage Software
-Okami (2008) Ready At Dawn Studios
-Neopets Puzzle Adventure (2008) Infinite Interactive
-Moto GP 08 (2009) Milestone
-Spyborgs (2009) Bionic Games*

cvxfreak

Jarrod, Biohazard 0 was not ported by Tose. It was handled by ONE person at Capcom whose Kanji name I can't read, a few members of some studio called Happy Happening. I assume Biohazard Wii is the same.

Famitsu Software Stuff
Animal Crossing: City Folk (3281) passes 1 million, becoming the 7th Wii game to do so. It's not keeping up with its DS predecessor (95), but what can?

White Knight Chronicles passes 300K, becoming the 7th PS3 game to do so.
3384+-+White+Knight+Chronicles+-+PS3

I didn't pay much attention to this one in the last few weeks, but Kirby Super Star Ultra (3265) never did fall behind Kirby Squeak Squad (194) in terms of sales at a given time from launch. It remains the best-selling Kirby (at least modern Kirby), is at a point that Squeak Squad took many more months to reach, and should cruise past its total without much trouble.

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Original means ground up for the HD platforms. The only announcements they've gotten from Capcom post PS3 launch have been arcade ports (SF4), produced by Capcom USA (Dark Void, Bionic Commando, XBLA/PSN stuff, etc) or eliminating PS3 exlusives (DMC4, MH3). They haven't been getting anything on level with the pre-launch announcements (RE5, DMC4, internally developed ground up stuff).
Ah ok, i know what you mean, thanks for the answer! :) Ye, there havnt been too much original games for the HD platforms, at least not from Capcom Japan as you said.

EDIT: I changed abit on some text.

Cosmonaut X said:
Blimey. So it's likely to have a supervisor (supervising programmer?) from Capcom and a handful of guys from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Happening ? Development costs must have been rock-bottom...

Of course it would cost virtually nothing, the Wii can run GCN code natively so all that needs to be done is rip the GCN discs, change the controller icons and accompanying text, remap the controls (No motions or additions are added so it's just a simple re-button mapping) and slap it on a Wii disc, there done!

Capcom's internal development has slowed to a crawl because almost their entire team of dev staff are working on RE5, almost every single game that they've released this gen has been outsourced with the only exceptions being Dead Rising (Dead Rising Wii as well? Probably outsourced though) Lost Planet 360/PC (PS3 version outsourced) DMC 4 (All versions) Zack and Wiki, RE4 Wii Edition, the Monster Hunter games and RE5. The staff requirements for their PS3 and 360 games is so massive that it's sucked up almost every single member of staff! There's nobody left, other than a handful who have been supervising outside teams on all of their other games!

skulpt

And SE is dumb enough to feel "bullish" about the 360 in Japan? MS better be paying them millions upon millions to secure some of these games as exclusives. The 360 had 1 title in the top 50 for Japan this last year. How stupid can SE and others get with releasing Japanese centric games exclusively on the 360?

Pretty good for the PS3. If they has a PC in the next 3 months, I honestly think they could start making a run at the Wii as long as they have some solid games being released. The DS continues to make everyone look stupid, including devs that spend 50 million on a game compared to probably 5 million, and the DS game sells way more. LOL

test_account said:
Ye, Dark Void might not exactly be the most known game title out there. I had almost forgotten about the game myself, and i didnt know (or i forgot) that Capcom published the game. I just found out when i searched for upcoming Capcom games earlier tonight :)

Ok, i know what you mean :) I wonder how much Dark Void will sell. I am not sure it will do too much better than what western developed games usually sells in Japan, somewhere between 5k and 25k LTD maybe?

Dark Void is probably not the next Resident Evil game or so (regarding popularity and sales), but the Dark Void title itself can maybe be categorized as "big", or at least "medium big" or what i shall say :)

Capcom is focusing on a world-wide scale now (being North America and Europe with the occasional Japanese centric titles titles or games that his all).

Basically this:

North America/Europe - Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Bionic Commando, Dark Void

Japan - Monster Hunter, Turnabout Trials (Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice games)

World - Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, and Devil May Cry 4

So far it's worked out amazingly. Far better then most Japanese publishers who just focus on the West for big projects and throw the Japan their usual releases and scraps.

jarrod said:
Supposedly there was a Zack & Wiki sequel and MegaMan Action RPG for Wii in development that both might've stalled. :(

Whoa whoa whoa what!?

donny2112

skulpt said:
Pretty good for the PS3. If they has a PC in the next 3 months, I honestly think they could start making a run at the Wii as long as they have some solid games being released.

You mean the weekly numbers, right?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Of course it would cost virtually nothing, the Wii can run GCN code natively so all that needs to be done is rip the GCN discs, change the controller icons and accompanying text, remap the controls (No motions or additions are added so it's just a simple re-button mapping) and slap it on a Wii disc, there done!

Capcom's internal development has slowed to a crawl because almost their entire team of dev staff are working on RE5, almost every single game that they've released this gen has been outsourced with the only exceptions being Dead Rising (Dead Rising Wii as well? Probably outsourced though) Lost Planet 360/PC (PS3 version outsourced) DMC 4 (All versions) Zack and Wiki, RE4 Wii Edition, the Monster Hunter games and RE5. The staff requirements for their PS3 and 360 games is so massive that it's sucked up almost every single member of staff! There's nobody left, other than a handful who have been supervising outside teams on all of their other games!

And people wonder why it is taking so long for the Wii to get support. It takes time, money, and man/woman power to create these games. You just can't start AAA or even AA projects on the fly. There is a reason why Dragon Quest X was announced after Square-Enix was done releasing Last Remnant as well as Dragon Quest IX being on it's testing stages.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Flying_Phoenix said:
And people wonder why it is taking so long for the Wii to get support. It takes time, money, and man/woman power to create these games. You just can't start AAA or even AA projects on the fly. There is a reason why Dragon Quest X was announced after Square-Enix was done releasing Last Remnant as well as Dragon Quest IX being on it's testing stages.
Sorry, but this train of thought has run its course. It's been over two years. There should at least be announcements of big games by now.

schuelma

Link said:
Sorry, but this train of thought has run its course. It's been over two years. There should at least be announcements of big games by now.

There are announcements and you keep ignoring them. You simply love to proclaim doom and gloom about the Wii :lol I have suspect you actually *like* when 3rd parties ignore the Wii.

schuelma

skulpt said:
Pretty good for the PS3. If they has a PC in the next 3 months, I honestly think they could start making a run at the Wii as long as they have some solid games being released.

No, its not pretty good. It's been trending lower than the year before since October and is starting 2009 the same way. Now, the Wii is trending lower as well, but Nintendo still has a lot of cards left to play.

Link said:

Did you even bother reading my post? Most of the "big games" companies are making aren't all released yet as well as most games that the companies are working on are still too early in development (Capcom of Japan) I really wouldn't call it a far cry. And in case you didn't notice Wii games usually get announced not far before their release. I think DQX is the only exception to this.

And the thing that's insane is that games like Tales and TMNT which have been in development for well over a year (Tales has been for 2) are just getting announced with far off future release dates. Sorry it isn't 1997 anymore where developers and publishers can just immediately switch to another development on another console, games take much more time and money to make now.

schuelma said:
There are announcements and you keep ignoring them. You simply love to proclaim doom and gloom about the Wii :lol I have suspect you actually *like* when 3rd parties ignore the Wii.

Exactly. Dragon Quest X is announced. Tales of Mothership announced. EA Tennis announced with the Wii as the premier platform. TMNT Brawler is announced. SEGA's primary Wii console focus with Sonic Black Night, Let's Tap, House of the Dead Overkill, Mad World, as well as publishing games like The Conduit. Third party Wii games become less gimped. And he still just covers his ears claiming that support is only getting worse.

Link

The Autumn Wind
schuelma said:
There are a few, sure. But that only proves why the old argument of "third parties were unprepared" has worn so thin.

EDIT - I've already discussed the rest of this earlier, I'm not gonna do it again.

Top Bottom