• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/02 - 03/08

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Minsc said:
Perhaps Nintendo shouldn't continue to be so complacent and self-confident, thinking they can just keep sitting on the sidelines and watching the money pour in?

Well, I'm not sure what they should have done, you know? They advertised it. It's almost certainly a brilliant product. It didn't have a lot of early promotion, but it did have a few Famitsu features. The website explains product operation. Picross is a popular formula and this looks like a logical expansion. I'm not sure what they did wrong here.

It's not like 10k is a disaster; I'm sure it'll bloom nicely over time, but there's no reason that this game couldn't have done 40k and still bloomed.

Durante

bttb said:
First Day Sales (03/12)

[NDS] Annie no Atelier: Sera Shima no Renkijutsushi (Gust) - 10k
Their last DS Atelier game did 21k first week, 40k LTD. It will be interesting to see how this and their recently announced PS3 game compare.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
Well, I'm not sure what they should have done, you know? They advertised it. It's almost certainly a brilliant product. It didn't have a lot of early promotion, but it did have a few Famitsu features. The website explains product operation. Picross is a popular formula and this looks like a logical expansion. I'm not sure what they did wrong here.

It's not like 10k is a disaster; I'm sure it'll bloom nicely over time, but there's no reason that this game couldn't have done 40k and still bloomed.

Fair enough, I didn't realize they tried much at all, at least they did the advertising & promotions. It just seems they aren't hitting them out of the park like they used too anymore. It's like Nintendo needs some kind of recharge in Japan.

Rolf NB

DarkMehm said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. WII   -    57,068 |    64,535 |   888,409 |  5,504,569
2. PSP   -    53,924 |    73,706 |   861,346 |  8,462,940
3. NDS   -    48,658 |    51,922 |   872,911 | 22,045,962
4. PS3   -    21,008 |    13,520 |   307,576 |  1,949,252
5. PS2   -    10,429 |    10,986 |   136,880 | 21,063,917
6. 360   -     2,891 |     2,282 |    42,348 |    549,689

In two or three weeks PS3 should be up YoY.
Stolen from Joshua:
2008-12-29

2008-12-29

We're at week 10 in that graph now. I've extended it out a bit so that when the DB gets updated, the lazier future generations won't have to adjust the image urls.

Minsc

Gold Member
bcn-ron said:
Stolen from Joshua:
2008-12-29

I didn't realize just how awful Wii is doing YoY, missed those charts from Panther. At least '08 sales were lining up with '07, '09 is struggling to even keep ahead of PS3 levels.

Quick question on the 360 vs xbox LTD numbers. I had a quick look on the garaph.info site and it seems that the 360 has now sold double what the original xbox did in Japan. Is that right?

Trailblazer said:
I'm pretty new to sales age and Media Create but these PSP numbers are fantastic are they not?

I mean a Lot of Gaf members were calling the PSP a failure a few years ago. Some are still calling it a failure even now.

Also if the "Rumored" redesign hits this year, how well do you guys think it will be received?
A few years ago, it *was* a failure. Failure and success are not permanent states. The PSP has made a much bigger comeback than any reasonable forecast could have predicted at that time.

It was no more unreasonable or "idiotic" to think the PSP was failing a few years ago than it was to the think the DS was going to get creamed by the PSP when they were both revealed. Life is unpredictable at times, and even the safe bets sometimes don't pan out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Psychotext said:
Quick question on the 360 vs xbox LTD numbers. I had a quick look on the garaph.info site and it seems that the 360 has now sold double what the original xbox did in Japan. Is that right?

Yep.

I can't believe 3D Picross hit such low numbers. I know the "expanded" audience aren't exactly first-day marchers, but Nintendo really advertised this one. Plus, it's cheap, too. :/

Well, I did my part.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Maybe people still having puzzles to solve in Picross DS has something to do with this? I'll get 3D day one but I wonder if most people would want to pick it up later when they feel they're done with the first one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fuu said:
Maybe people still having puzzles to solve in Picross DS has something to do with this? I'll get 3D day one but I wonder if most people would want to pick it up later when they feel they're done with the first one.

Picross came out in Fall 2006. I can't imagine week one buyers are both still actively playing it and not complete enough to get a different but similar puzzle game :p

Edit: Segs also said that the game is only 3200 yen which would mean price is definitely not limited demand!

Upcoming Releases.

03/16 - 03/22/2009

NDS:
03/19 Card de Asobu! Hajimete no DS
03/19 Catz
03/19 Dogz
03/19 Horsez
03/19 Monkeyz
03/19 Choco Ken: Otodoke! Sweets Wagon
03/19 Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu - Nendororo~n Daihenshin
03/19 Dengeki Gakuen RPG: Cross of Venus
03/19 Dengeki Gakuen RPG: Cross of Venus (Premium Pack)
03/19 Gakken Hangul Sanmai DS
03/19 Gakken Shin TOEIC Test Kanzen Kouryaku 2
03/19 Gardening Mama
03/19 Kuroshitsuji: Phantom & Ghost
03/19 Kuroshitsuji: Phantom & Ghost (Shakui Nintei Box)
03/19 Oshaberi Oumu
03/19 Ouran Koukou Host-Bu DS
03/19 Ouran Koukou Host-Bu DS (Limited Edition)
03/19 Tantei Jinguuji Saburo DS: Fuserareta Shinjitsu

PSP:
03/19 Ayaka Shibito Portable
03/19 Bokujou Monogatari: Sugar Mura to Minna no Negai
03/19 Brandish: Dark Revenant
03/19 Dragon Ball The Movie
03/19 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Izayoiki Aizouban
03/19 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Izayoiki Aizouban (Premium Box)
03/19 Hitsuji Kunnara Kiss Shite Ageru *
03/19 Hitsuji Kunnara Kiss Shite Ageru * (Limited Edition)
03/19 Musou Tourou
03/19 Musou Tourou (First Print Limited Edition)
03/19 Saru Get You: Pipo Saru Senki
03/19 Shin Sangoku Musou: 2nd Evolution (PSP the Best)
03/19 Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life - CS Edition
03/19 Zero Choaniki
03/19 Zero Choaniki (First Print Limited Edition)

Wii:
03/19 Darts Wii Deluxe
03/19 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Next
03/19 Monopoly
03/19 Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 09 All-Play
03/19 Winter Sports 2009: The Next Challenge

PS2:
03/19 Amagami
03/19 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009
03/19 San Goku Shi X (Koei Teiban Series)

PS3:
----

X360:
----

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Stumpokapow said:
Picross came out in Fall 2006. I can't imagine week one buyers are both still actively playing it and not complete enough to get a different but similar puzzle game :p

Edit: Segs also said that the game is only 3200 yen which would mean price is definitely not limited demand!
I wasn't aware it was that old actually. :lol

Anyway, those certainly finished it already, it's just that I still have puzzles to do on it (due to leaving it alone for other games on the DS and coming back weeks later when I feel the urge for some more) so maybe there are other people on the same boat that don't feel the need to "upgrade" yet (even if it's not my situation, I can't wait to try the 3D one).

Just throwing the idea around, I'm also surprised it sold so few copies. Maybe it's like Segata said above, people at first would get intimidated by the concept. They should be excited. :(

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 221 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 172.6 weeks (June 19, 2003), where DS was at 97.7 weeks (October 13, 2006), and where GBA was at 149.0 weeks (January 25, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 169 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 16.3 weeks (January 1, 2002), where PS3 was at 33.1 weeks (June 25, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.9 weeks (December 30, 2006).

Note that X360 has now made it out of GameCube's first calendar year. Of course, where that precise point goes is impossible to say since we just have numbers from several days on either side of that year switch, buuuut for our purposes it's now.

PS3 comparisons: After 121 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 36.1 weeks (November 6, 2000), where PSP was at 59.9 weeks (January 28, 2006), where GCN was at 119.4 weeks (December 24, 2003), and where Wii was at 31.8 weeks (July 7, 2007).

Last week PS3 was at 34.4 PS2 weeks, so it just moved forward by 1.7. This is one of the few times it's gone forward more than one PS2 week at a time, helped both by a Yakuza 3 bump and the PS2 shortages of late 2000.

Wii comparisons: After 118 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 93.9 weeks (January 5, 2003), where DS was at 75.7 weeks (May 10, 2006), where PS2 was at 112.6 weeks (April 25, 2002), and where PSP was at 163.0 weeks (January 20, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 18 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 37.9 weeks (November 2, 2003) and where DSL was at 12.5 weeks (May 25, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 42.1 / 57.9 bring total shares to 68.7 / 31.3. This is the first time PSP has outsold DS since the release of the DSi. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 869.6 weeks (November 7, 2025). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 236.9 weeks (September 22, 2013).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 27.3 / 72.7 bring total shares to 24.8 / 75.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 129.3 weeks (August 31, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 70.6 / 29.4 bring total shares to 27.0 / 73.0. This is the first time PS3's weekly share has been over 70%. At this week's rates PS3 catches up to Wii in 211.4 weeks (March 28, 2013). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 123.5 weeks (July 21, 2011).

Week over week, PSP is way up, X360/PS3 are a little up, and PS2/DS/Wii are a little down.
X360

Through the first ten weeks of the year, almost everything is down by some degree. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -62.1%
DSL+DSi: -5.7%
PS2: -55.6%
PS3: -11.6%
PSP: -37.7%
X360: +197.2%

Home hardware: -42.2%
Portable hardware: -21.6%
Sum of all hardware: -30.7%

At 16,560, Wii has its worst week yet, beating its previous low of two weeks ago. The past three weeks are the only times Wii has been below 20K (in MC, anyway).

AranhaHunter said:
Serious question, what about the Eye Toy and Eye Kinetic and all those "Eye" games on PS2? Didn't they do much of the same shit that the Wii controller and Wii Sports/Wii Play does?
They did completely different shit, but seemed to be trying to tap into the same type of desire. Just not as well or successfully or forcefully.
sankao said:
Dominating may be pushing it, but it seems that the HD/Wii ratio is significantly higher in Japan than in the West this year. Are japanese consumers just more sensitive to game releases, whereas western ones just keep buying the console for previous releases ?
It's hard to make a comparison. Perhaps the west would see a similar effect as Japan, if Wii supply had caught up to demand in the middle of 2008.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Through the first ten weeks of the year, almost everything is down by some degree. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

That makes for depressing reading (well, unless you're MS ;)

freddy

Banned
Psychotext said:
That makes for depressing reading (well, unless you're MS ;)
I dunno. Doubling your sales and still languishing in last place, more often than not, seems pretty depressing to me.

freddy said:
I dunno. Doubling your sales and still languishing in last place, more often than not, seems pretty depressing to me.
It's not like they didn't expect it to be shit. Also, I don't think they expected that sort of sales increase given what they were selling last year.

DMeisterJ

Banned
neojubei said:
09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) 17,000 / 467,000

Capcom really should have made Monster Hunter 3 for the psp. Even the discounted repackaged game is still selling STRONG.

Well, they said they're not done with Monster Hunter on PSP, so it'll likely be a PSP/Wii franchise.

Rolf NB

Why did the PSP rise to the heavens this week like it did? I don't see any new releases in the top ten. Did anything major happen promotion-wise? Fluke? Gremlins in the machine?

iceatcs

bcn-ron said:
Why did the PSP rise to the heavens this week like it did? I don't see any new releases in the top ten. Did anything major happen promotion-wise? Fluke? Gremlins in the machine?
new colour.

gantz85

Banned
Does anyone have historical data of the sales performance of the Atelier series? Not sure how big of a series it is.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gantz85 said:
Does anyone have historical data of the sales performance of the Atelier series? Not sure how big of a series it is.

ya

(search %gust% in publisher and nothing in the title if you want to include other gust games that are tangentially related but not part of the atelier series)

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Well, there's already a PC one MH: Frontier, but I don't even hear anyone talking about that, so it couldn't be that big. And they said that PS3 dev costs for the game were too high, so one would assume that it takes 360 out of contention too. Also with the fact that the game sells most of it's units in JP, and barely makes a ripple in the US or EU (Never seen it mentioned in Chart-track or NPD, even on PSP only charts), and how it's still selling in JP 50 weeks later, It wouldn't make sense for it to be put on the PS3 with the lower install base, and 360 with no install base in JP.

Like I said, most likely it will be PSP/Wii, and maybe DS, but I'm not sure how well it could control on the system.

Meier

Jonnyram said:
This year's gonna be fun.

YTD for the consoles...

Wii : PS3 : 360
336,236 : 271,836 : 125,861 (733933)
45.8% : 37% : 17.1&

...and in the last few weeks, things have been swinging in PS3/360 favour quite strongly.
Does Nintendo have anything lined up in the next few weeks that will spur some sales for the Wii? It seems like there hasn't been a high-profile release in ages for it.

bcn-ron said:
They released some really nice looking new colours. Prior to this, the 3000 was only available in Black, White, and Silver (outside of limited bundles), and you *know* Japan don't play dat.

This year's gonna be fun.

YTD for the consoles...

Wii : PS3 : 360
336,236 : 271,836 : 125,861 (733933)
45.8% : 37% : 17.1&

...and in the last few weeks, things have been swinging in PS3/360 favour quite strongly.

Haven't visited MC sales threads for a longer time, but wtf is going on in japan (Wii, PS3, 360). When did this turnaround of events happen?

Hellraizer said:
Haven't visited MC sales threads for a longer time, but wtf is going on in japan (Wii, PS3, 360). When did this turnaround of events happen?
The last couple weeks. The 360's had Star Ocean 4 and RE5, the PS3's had Ryu ga Gotoku 3 and RE5, and the Wii's had a rock.

goompapa

Meier said:
Does Nintendo have anything lined up in the next few weeks that will spur some sales for the Wii? It seems like there hasn't been a high-profile release in ages for it.

Noticeable wii releases in the near future:

3/19:
-Powerpro Next (Don't know whether this is a expansion or THE yearly edition. Wii version scored a lot higher than PS2 version in famitsu btw)
-Suzumiya Haruhi no Heiretsu(Don't know what this is about, but anime is pretty popular)

4/9:
-Oboro Muramasa(Bomba written all over it if you ask me, anything more than 50k is a shock to me)

4/16:
Deca Sports 2(1st one did pretty/very well)

4/23:
Monster Hunter G+MH3 demo(the hope is on this one before MH3 hits in the summer)

So all in all, doesn't look very rosy. But luckily for Ninty, the HD twins have just blown their load. The first noticeable release I see is 4/23 Killzone and 5/28 Mousou 5 Empires, which should do around 150k I guess.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The last couple weeks. The 360's had Star Ocean 4 and RE5, the PS3's had Ryu ga Gotoku 3 and RE5, and the Wii's had a rock.
Hm well this could get interesting, although I think Nintendo still has more aces up their sleeve than the competition. (price drop, new colors and they are up again)

goompapa said:
The first noticeable release I see is 5/28 Mousou 5 Empires, which should do 200 to 300k I guess.
That strikes me as a bit high. My naming of the whole Warriors/Musou series in Garaph is a bit screwy so I'm probably not finding all relevant titles with a simple search for "Empires", but here's how some of them compared to the main title on PS2.

2003 DW4: 1.20 M
2004 DW4 Empires: 317K

2005 DW5: 918K
2006 DW5 Empires: 245K

2006 SW2: 562K
2006 SW2 Empires: 203K

Hellraizer said:
Hm well this could get interesting, although I think Nintendo still has more aces up their sleeve than the competition. (price drop, new colors and they are up again)
Realistically, I don't think new colours are going to help very much. A price drop should provide a temporary spike, but it's already the cheapest console, and the main complaint people are having is not, I'd think, related to the price of the machine.

Nintendo may have to do the hard thing here and actually start producing compelling new software.

goompapa

JoshuaJSlone said:
That strikes me as a bit high. My naming of the whole Warriors/Musou series in Garaph is a bit screwy so I'm probably not finding all relevant titles with a simple search for "Empires", but here's how some of them compared to the main title on PS2.

2003 DW4: 1.20 M
2004 DW4 Empires: 317K

2005 DW5: 918K
2006 DW5 Empires: 245K

2006 SW2: 562K
2006 SW2 Empires: 203K

Have to revise my predictions I guess :p. Still expect it to hit somewhere around 150k.

Sirolf said:
Perhaps they are fed up with old ports slapped with waggle and want some new fresh ideas ?
To be fed up with something, you'd have to have an interest in it in the first place, and thus far, I'd say Japan has shown little interest in these "Let's Play!" re-releases.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
To be fed up with something, you'd have to have an interest in it in the first place, and thus far, I'd say Japan has shown little interest in these "Let's Play!" re-releases.

I think Pikmin and Mario Tennis did alright.

Sirolf said:
Perhaps they are fed up with old ports slapped with waggle and want some new fresh ideas ?
Says the man when Waggle Mario Tennis GameCube barely misses the Top 30 on its eighth week.

But certainly, being the fifth "Play on Wii" game in three months (even the second Pikmin "Play on Wii" game in three months) and launching outside the holiday bump can't help much.

It's also pretty hard to say Japan is looking for fresh ideas when there isn't a single fresh idea in the top 10. Hell, the closest thing to a fresh idea in there is a jRPG and a hentai tennis game.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Realistically, I don't think new colours are going to help very much. A price drop should provide a temporary spike, but it's already the cheapest console, and the main complaint people are having is not, I'd think, related to the price of the machine.

Nintendo may have to do the hard thing here and actually start producing compelling new software.
Well, I really hope that you're right, and that I'm wrong ;)

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:

At 16,560, Wii has its worst week yet, beating its previous low of two weeks ago. The past three weeks are the only times Wii has been below 20K (in MC, anyway).

By the end of this year, Wii will be > 2x PS360 total YTD. Probably ~3x.

freddy said:
Doubling your sales and still languishing in last place, more often than not, seems pretty depressing to me.

Tripling.

Johann

freddy said:

They've managed to improve the image of the Xbox brand and paved the way for future iterations to enjoy more success, which isn't that big of an improvement with handhelds being the go-to platform for games in Japan.

However, they have broken Sony's stranglehold on Japanese third-parties. Many Japanese developers would not work on the original Xbox, whether it was because of the Xbox's userbase in Japan or the Japanese mentality to favor developing exclusively for the market leader (or what they think will become the market leader in the future). I doubt we'll see many non-Sony funded exclusives in the future for the PS3 (or even for the PS4) with so many big (and costly) Japanese games going multi-platform.

donny2112 said:
By the end of this year, Wii will be > 2x PS360 total YTD. Probably ~3x.
That seems a pretty tall order. Would take a bit of a turnaround. Last year it didn't do much more than twice the combined PS360. If this year the main change is that Wii is noticeably down and X360 is noticeably up, it doesn't seem doable.

Just as a hypothetical, let's say for the rest of the year things go much more like last year. So for the year Wii is 20% down, PS3 is flat, and X360 is 70% up (pulling those percents out of the air). In such a case, Wii would still be only 50% ahead of PS360.

I guess you expect something big from MotionPlus and/or Monster Hunter and/or something else?

Top Bottom