• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

I made mention of this before, but while looking into the future I came across this excerpt from Kaz Hirai's TGS press conference this year.

"Nintendo is who we thought they were, they are who we thought they were! We launched against them in 2006! Who the hell treats a launch like it's bullshit?! Bullshit! We shipped against them 3 business quarters! Nintendo is who we thought they were! That’s why we rushed the damn launch! Now if you want to crown em, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let them off the hook!"

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Nintendo just continues the domination. When will it stop? Soon the entire top ten could be 1 million + sellers. Just in****ingsane.

*mindboggled*

castle007

Banned
bgassassin said:
I made mention of this before, but while looking into the future I came across this excerpt from Kaz Hirai's TGS press conference this year.

"Nintendo is who we thought they were, they are who we thought they were! We launched against them in 2006! Who the hell treats a launch like it's bullshit?! Bullshit! We shipped against them 3 business quarters! Nintendo is who we thought they were! That’s why we rushed the damn launch! Now if you want to crown em, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let them off the hook!"

:lol :lol :lol

you won't get this if you don't pay attention to football

datruth29

bgassassin said:

Nice :D :D

Joe Molotov

bgassassin said:

Sony couldn't do diddly-poo against them.

Drakken

bgassassin said:

Very nice.

bgassassin said:

lol:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Sony Arizona offices

argon

bgassassin said:

:lol

for those who don't get it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blTMNwhN7DU

Jonnyram

Branduil said:
So what on earth are the people in Japan buying to play on their PS3s?
Media Create doesn't track online downloads, and I heard Tekken 5: DR has seen about 500,000 downloads since its release.

Lobster

Banned
bgassassin said:

Branduil

bgassassin said:

Post of the thread.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
You know, I really hope Nintendo is using the mad cash they are making right now to expand/create new dev teams to actually get some consistent content out for the wii. Exploit your success Nintendo, for benefit of Wii.

Damn...Japan is officially Nintendoland. Top 15...has that ever happened? I mean, NES era might have. PS2 or PS1 might have...

Jokers looks like it's going to go bit. 1.5 mil, 2 mil. I don't want to speculate much but thats what it looks like now. Makes me wonder even more about DQ9's release.

At this rate, the japanese mint should just sent nintendo the money directly after being printed...

bgassassin said:
Until Wii shipments increase. :D
Wii would have to be... well, considering the success DS is, for Wii to beat out it and everything else combined... we'd need to come up with new words to describe its success.

But you're right. Sony does seem to be getting more PS3s out there too. Ist there a pie chart for software also?
Hmm, beyond a few selected historical comparisons those don't tend to be tracked as much. It's easy to keep track of hardware since we get it every week. Software we get numbers for only those near the top, so it's not easy to keep an accurate picture.

Slurpy said:
You know, I really hope Nintendo is using the mad cash they are making right now to expand/create new dev teams to actually get some consistent content out for the wii.
*shrug* It's not like they were lacking profit before. Unless they've kept a secret rule "Be thrifty with the first billion dollars of profit each year." I doubt there'll be much change. Especially considering how much of their recent success has come from small ideas executed well, like Brain Age and Wii Sports, it doesn't seem their immediate response would to be go on a $400 million development expansion spree.

From the long and glorious history of consoles, it is clear the Nintendo Wii has received the Mandate of Heaven. Wii will be the worldwide console king this generation. But if you asked anyone at the time of the DS launch if they thought the DS would knock Sony off their throne... Well, wow. The DS is possibly the most significant product Nintendo has made in the past 20 years.

jimbo

Banned
Nightstick11 said:
From the long and glorious history of consoles, it is clear the Nintendo Wii has received the Mandate of Heaven. Wii will be the worldwide console king this generation. But if you asked anyone at the time of the DS launch if they thought the DS would knock Sony off their throne... Well, wow. The DS is possibly the most significant product Nintendo has made in the past 20 years.

No way will the Wii outsell the PS2's 120 million.

;p

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm, beyond a few selected historical comparisons those don't tend to be tracked as much. It's easy to keep track of hardware since we get it every week. Software we get numbers for only those near the top, so it's not easy to keep an accurate picture.

Good point. Common sense didn't kick in that other titles are released besides what we see on the rankings. :D

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
bgassassin said:

Oh dear God I cannot stop laughing, ahahaha. :lol :lol :lol

bgassassin said:

I laughed the first time and I'm laughing now. :D

bgassassin said:

I am Impressed

Bravo my son, bravo

Mashing

bgassassin said:

Goddamn that press conference is going to go down in history as one of the best ever (if it hasn't already attained that status).

sphinx

the piano man
the most intriguing points to me are the following:

.- Don't japanese gamers care for standard classic console gaming? The chart is like they want traditional console gaming to disappear, PS3 and 360 hard- and software is some kind of rarity nowadays in japan, it's scary.

.- The way japanese dedicates themselves to gaming can only be called one way: INSANE. Do you realize that 4 million is almost half the population of a small european country, like Austria?? Imagine HALF austria, each individual, with a cartridge inside a case of Animal rossing.... I-N-S-A-N-E.

.- Given by the standards that ds software has imposed, Games that stop selling around 150K are considered FLOPS!!. How many gamecube games dreamed of reaching that number?

I don't think any other platform will reach that success this gen, neither Wii nor PS3. yesterday was PS2, now is all DS.

sphinx said:
.- Given by the standards that ds software has imposed, Games that stop selling around 150K are considered FLOPS!!.

Hahahahahaha!

Please tell me you don't actually believe that.

sphinx

the piano man
Pureauthor said:
Hahahahahaha!

Please tell me you don't actually believe that.

I never go around labeling games as flops or successes, that's each companie's thing to declare. I am talking about perception here, a DS game that sells around 100k - 150k in its lifetime will certainly not be remembered as anything special, maybe not even as a decent seller.

bgassassin said:

GOLD

sphinx said:
Don't japanese gamers care for standard classic console gaming? The chart is like they want traditional console gaming to disappear
Dragon Quest. Super Mario Bros. Pokémon. Mario Kart. Tetris. These are some of the biggest series of 10-20 (and more) years ago, and they're still hanging around the top now.

sphinx

the piano man
JoshuaJSlone said:
Dragon Quest. Super Mario Bros. Pokémon. Mario Kart. Tetris. These are some of the biggest series of 10-20 years ago, and they're still hanging around the top now.

maybe I didn't express myself correctly. with "console" I meant playing on a TV with a traditional control held with 2 hands.

Yakuza 2 ( I mean YAKUZA!! ) is the most relevant game in that gaming style.

ethelred

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but it strikes me that DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Wii's placement on the charts is pretty impressive, given where the #10 game is falling sales-wise. That'd make DBZ the first break-out successful third party game.

sphinx said:
I never go around labeling games as flops or successes, that's each companie's thing to declare. I am talking about perception here, a DS game that sells around 100k - 150k in its lifetime will certainly not be remembered as anything special, maybe not even as a decent seller.

It's still perfectly fine for a game to sell in that range, depending upon how high profile it is, the budget of the game, what other games in its series sell, what other games in its genre sell, and so on.

I think Shiren the Wanderer and Rune Factory selling in the 100-150k range is impressive. That's a really good result for niche games, or games from small publishers, or what have you. If the DS's success can benefit games like those, then that is something special.

sphinx said:
maybe I didn't express myself correctly. with "console" I meant playing on a TV with a traditional control held with 2 hands.

What's a traditional controller? I remember playing games on the Atari with a joystick and a red button. Then we go to the pads... the N64/PSX had analog. Now we've got controllers that rumble.

There's a constant evolution in game control. I don't see why it should suddenly be threatening now.

And btw, traditional gaming on a handheld console is just as valid and supportive of traditionalism as it is on a home television console. It's not just quirky/odd or "non-games" selling well on the DS -- it's traditional stuff like Super Mario Bros. and Dragon Quest Monsters, too.

sphinx

the piano man
ethelred said:
It's still perfectly fine for a game to sell in that range, depending upon how high profile it is, the budget of the game, what other games in its series sell, what other games in its genre sell, and so on.

I think Shiren the Wanderer and Rune Factory selling in the 100-150k range is impressive. That's a really good result for niche games, or games from small publishers, or what have you. If the DS's success can benefit games like those, then that is something special.

yes, you are absolutely right.

My original point was to mention how DS software has created new standards to define "success". before DS, a game selling 400k was already a smash hit. Now a smash hit is something that sells 3 or 4 million...

I don't think any other hardware, home or portable, can compete with that. We still have to see how ps3 and wii fare in the future but i think it's very unlikely.

linsivvi

sphinx said:
.- The way japanese dedicates themselves to gaming can only be called one way: INSANE. Do you realize that 4 million is almost half the population of a small european country, like Austria?? Imagine HALF austria, each individual, with a cartridge inside a case of Animal rossing.... I-N-S-A-N-E.

Huh? Japan has over 120M population, so what does that 4 million copes of Animal Crossing have to do with Austria's population?

It's like saying it's INSANE that Elf Bowling sells 500 (random figure) copies in NA which is equal to the size of my company.

sphinx

the piano man
ethelred said:
And btw, traditional gaming on a handheld console is just as valid and supportive of traditionalism as it is on a home television console. It's not just quirky/odd or "non-games" selling well on the DS -- it's traditional stuff like Super Mario Bros. and Dragon Quest Monsters, too.

whoa, wait a sec. I am not that kind of guy that fools around with the "non-game" BS. I know DS sell many kind of things, both traditional and more innovative.

you have a point about japan supporting traditionalism through mario and DQJ:M but I think you can also see mine, when I say, people are just letting PS/XBOX style of gaming in the past. Compared to the Wii-DS hotness, PS/XBOX gaming now seems irrelevant.

sphinx said:
*shrug* They're still "standard classic console games" and playing the same way, even if they're on a portable machine. Since when are PS3 and X360 the definition of "traditional console gaming"?
Yakuza 2 ( I mean YAKUZA!! ) is the most relevant game in that gaming style.
I guess you're talking more about the format of the game. In which case, yeah, there's been a definite shift from console to portable over the last several years.

Beezy

bgassassin said:

ethelred

sphinx said:
whoa, wait a sec. I am not that kind of guy that fools around with the "non-game" BS. I know DS sell many kind of things, both traditional and more innovative.

you have a point about japan supporting traditionalism through mario and DQJ:M but I think you can also see mine, when I say, people are just letting PS/XBOX style of gaming in the past. Compared to the Wii-DS hotness, PS/XBOX gaming now seems irrelevant.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply you're any sort of person or hold any particular sort of views. It's just the most easily identifiable (these days anyway) way to sum up the particular... genre, I guess you'd call it, though genres are typically defined by the gameplay systems they employ where these games are more defined by the demographic the publisher is targetting.

sphinx

the piano man
linsivvi said:
Huh? Japan has over 120M population, so what does that 4 million copes of Animal Crossing have to do with Austria's population?

It's like saying it's INSANE that Elf Bowling sells 500 (random figure) copies in NA which is equal to the size of my company.

People could have some perspective with my example, and have a grasp about how huge some games in japan seem to be.

It was just an example, since I lived in Austria 6 years, it occured to me.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
I am just waiting for 3rd parties to fully adopt Wii more after looking at these charts. Should be interesting to see what happens.

N ftw!

sphinx said:
the most intriguing points to me are the following:

.- Don't japanese gamers care for standard classic console gaming? The chart is like they want traditional console gaming to disappear, PS3 and 360 hard- and software is some kind of rarity nowadays in japan, it's scary.

.- Given by the standards that ds software has imposed, Games that stop selling around 150K are considered FLOPS!!. How many gamecube games dreamed of reaching that number?

I don't think any other platform will reach that success this gen, neither Wii nor PS3. yesterday was PS2, now is all DS.
Just goes to show how small Austria is :lol .
But you are right, the perceiption of successfull software has been changed (at least around here). I mean everyone and their mother think Zelda on Wii is a bomb, when it's a solid entry sales-wise...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bgassassin said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Smart.

Top Bottom