• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Menaged said:
With all of these great PSP sales, I wonder if Sony is making a profit on the console itself. Anyone...?
yeah, they're making profit on the hardware.

ziran

Elios83 said:
Top 10:
Mario Party DS (DS) : about 160k (total about 763k)
Wii Fit (Wii) : about 120k (total about 527k) :D
GT5 Prologue (PS3) : about 108k
DQ4 (DS) : about 78k (total about 854k)
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (DS) : about 73k (total about 482k)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) : about 71k (total about 571k) :D
Wii Sports (Wii) : about 68k (total about 2.26m)
:D
Wii Play (Wii) : about 67k (total about 1.81m)
Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (Wii) : about 58k (total about 207k)
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (Wii) : about 44k

The bombs:
Kirarin Revolution (DS) : about 21k
NiGHTS (Wii) : about 17k
Kingdom Under Fire (360) : about 15k
Ōkiku Furikabutte (DS) : about 9.3k
We Love Golf! (Wii) : about 8.6k
Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) : about 6.9k
Shikigami no Shiro 3 (360) : about 3.1k
Shikigami no Shiro 3 (Wii) : about 970

Hardware:
Wii : 168k :D
DSL : 249k
PS3 : 53k
PS2 : 21k
PSP : 158k
360 : 8.7k
Great sales! Nice to see those games selling so well and being such strong Wii system sellers. Nintendo needs to get more Wii Fits out there, they've been pretty good about it so far, but it looks like they've still underestimated demand.

PSP is selling amazingly well! The red version and time of year have helped, still, it's become a big success.

PS3 sales are low, especially for the time of year and the release of GT5P. The game has sold better than I thought from the initial numbers but I expected more hardware to be sold.

Lots of bombs this week, which, unfortunately, isn't surprising...

king zell said:
Tales of Innocence 13k !!
Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
Tales of Innocence : about 28k (135k)
So the latter is correct?

Saying that, it doesn't matter really, both are poor. I wonder if LO has had better luck, I doubt it. Some JRPGs are really tanking! I think Layton is the way to go to bring more people in, in the sense of bringing something new to the genre.

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
Everybody's Golf Portable 2 (PSP) : about 39k (125k)
That's really low! With the time of year and the new colour it should've managed more even on a system with as low sw sales as PSP.

Nice DS sales. Disappointing Tales sales, though.

Wii... well, 1st party and M&SatO are doing well. Nice legs on Galaxy.

108K for GT5:prologue? That's... not good, is it?

Menaged said:
With all of these great PSP sales, I wonder if Sony is making a profit on the console itself. Anyone...?

No offence, but why does this question still come up? Didn't Sony themselves say they were making a profit on PSP hardware like 8 months into the system's life?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pureauthor said:

I don't think so..and the 53K hardware number is disappointing as well. Sony has nothing until DMC4 at the end of January.

felipeko

starship said:
DS sales increased drastically, at this pace it would sell 400k-500k during last week of December.
I don't have Famitsu numbers but this is MC sales for last year:

DS sales:
4-10 Dec: 310k
11-17 Dec: 320k

And this year:
3-9 Dec: 168k

While it did way lower during 3-10 Dec of this year than in the same week last year, if Famitsu numbers are any indication, this past week it sold much closer to last year sales. Maybe it'll go up drastically again and break last year's record.
Like i said in another MC thread, last year DS sales were totally dependent on supply, this is the first time we have no shortages, so we may see the highest week ever in the holidays...
ziran said:
Great sales! Nice to see those games selling so well and being such strong Wii system sellers. Nintendo needs to get more Wii Fits out there, they've been pretty good about it so far, but it looks like they've still underestimated demand.
What a bad position.. Now Nintendo can't divert systems to NA anymore...

Interesting.

If that 53,000 number for PS3 holds up in the official Media Create numbers, that would mean PS3 has sold approx. as many (if not more) PS3s in the last 6 weeks as they managed to sell in the previous 20 weeks.

And if there's another week like that next week, it'll make that differential much greater, since looking backwards past that point, you get into those really miserable weeks when PS3 was only selling in the embarrassingly bad 8-9K range.

Good acceleration there.

Menaged

DeaconKnowledge said:
No offence, but why does this question still come up? Didn't Sony themselves say they were making a profit on PSP hardware like 8 months into the system's life?

Beacuse I've probarly missed that, that's why :\

But now I know :p

schuelma

Pristine_Condition said:
Interesting.

If that 53,000 number for PS3 holds up in the official Media Create numbers, that would mean PS3 has sold approx. as many (if not more) PS3s in the last 6 weeks as they managed to sell in the previous 20 weeks.

And if there's another week like that next week, it'll make that differential much greater, since looking backwards past that point, you get into those really miserable weeks when PS3 was only selling in the embarrassingly bad 8-9K range.

Good acceleration there.

It's definitely an improvement, but now we're in the holiday season and its back to being outsold 3-1 by Wii. I guess they have some momentum, but not much.

starship

ziran said:
PS3 sales are low, especially for the time of year and the release of GT5P. The game has sold better than I thought from the initial numbers but I expected much more hardware to be sold.
PS3 sales are in line with GC at the same time frame.

9-15 Dec 2002:
GC - 45k (YTD - 908k)

It did a little better than GC through out the year so as this week.

Defuser

Pureauthor said:
Nope,most likely get kick out of the top 10 next week. Unless Sony comes out and state great GT5:p sales on PSN.

schuelma said:
I don't think so..and the 53K hardware number is disappointing as well. Sony has nothing until DMC4 at the end of January.
Exactly,they can't keep up the momentum till DMC4/Disgaea 3

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:

Versus GT4p? No. 50% of GT4p.

But it's good for Sony's expectations which were 200k life for GT5p at retailers (+50k life for GT5p on PSN).

starship

schuelma said:
It's definitely an improvement, but now we're in the holiday season and its back to being outsold 3-1 by Wii. I guess they have some momentum, but not much.
We can't say something has momentum while it tracks a little tiny bit better than GC.

schuelma

starship said:
We can't say something has momentum while it tracks a little tiny bit better than GC.

I was trying to be diplomatic

womfalcs3

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Versus GT4p? No. 50% of GT4p.

But it's good for Sony's expectations which were 200k life for GT5p at retailers (+50k life for GT5p on PSN).

I thought it was 250,000 just for the first week...

Maybe I'm wrong.

tanod

when is my burrito
Seems like a lot of people were just waiting for Wii Fit. Those Wii numbers are ginormous.

Good start for GT5: Prologue. By nature of its genre and the series history, it should have good legs. I wonder if Sony will advertise that the online mode goes up on December 25th.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BuzzJive said:
So are we saving the great "Wii LTD > Gamecube LTD" celebration until this weeks official thread?

It already past it by Famitsu's numbers, which is what we have right now. It hasnt past it in MC yet and I dont know if 160k is enough.

ziran

felipeko said:
What a bad position.. Now Nintendo can't divert systems to NA anymore...
There was a quote from Reggie at Reuters which suggested NA, and presumably the rest of the world, are likely to see delays with key Wii titles, like Wii Fit, because of the difficulties Nintendo is having in keeping up with demand:
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1744069920071218?sp=true

From a business view there's no point in introducing something which will likely increase demand for a product you currently can't supply enough of. I think Wii production will be upped early next year and Nintendo is likely to have ~25 million for their next fiscal.

starship said:
PS3 sales are in line with GC at the same time frame.

9-15 Dec 2002:
GC - 45k (YTD - 908k)

It did a little better than GC through out the year so as this week sales.
I'd forgotten it was that close. PS3 is going to continue to struggle to lose its GC-esque image imo.

Really, Sony's ineptness this year has been staggering, especially in Japan. The price, then having Madden as their big Golden Week game :)lol) and now having a demo of a game as the big holiday title! It's just madness!! Funny, but in an incredibly sad way...

BuzzJive

HK-47 said:
It already past it by Famitsu's numbers, which is what we have right now. It hasnt past it in MC yet and I dont know if 160k is enough.

Going by the OP, it only needs about 120k, which I'd say is a given at this point. We'll know tomorrow night...

womfalcs3 said:

Maybe I'm wrong.
whatever it was, it's an exceedingly cheap game for them to make. they don't need to worry about sales of GT5P. it's basically just free money.

plagiarize said:
whatever it was, it's an exceedingly cheap game for them to make. they don't need to worry about sales of GT5P. it's basically just free money.
But it's also a barometer of what the retail game will sell.

JudgeN

GT5P was available on the PSN right? So why is 108k at retail so bad for a game that was available to you without having to go anywhere? Download numbers could have been great for all we know. I don't really understand GAF sometimes, sure the 53k PS3 hardware seems bad but considering the system used to do 8k a week not to long ago its a huge improvement. Of course its not going to beat the Wii but was it really suppose too?

Re: this week's disappointments: too bad for Golf, not really unexpected for NMH, lollers @ SC:L...

...poor Lost Odyssey :( It really sucks that Sakaguchi's pretty well demonstrated ability to make some awesome games isn't going to be remotely rewarded with, well.... sales. :(

duckroll said:
So what other JRPGs are doing great on the DS besides DQ and FF?

Etrian Odyssey did well enough for Atlus to greenlight a sequel and consider it a "hot" new IP. >_>

cvxfreak said:
I`ve been puzzled over the last two years as to how the Tales fanbase can handle so many releases on multiple platforms in a short timespan.

Apparently the answer is: they can't! :lol

Even FF seems to be suffering from the same treatment as we saw with FFTA2 and FFXII IZJS. Only the truly major stuff sells nowadays (FFIII, CC FFVII, and hopefully FFIV) as people don`t have the time or money for smaller stuff.

I was talking to ducky about this earlier. It's definitely way worse on the Tales end; Tales sells much less to begin with, and Namco's done a worse job of delineating "real games" vs. "spinoffs." At the same time -- I think FFTA2's sales represent the start of brand fatigue. (I don't think it's just people who were turned off by FFTA1....)

In terms of milking their franchises to the point of ruin, Namco is like the girl who everyone looks down on who gets pregnant in 9th grade -- everyone else is like "oh, that was Namco; it can't happen to me!" but that doesn't mean that they can't wind up in the same situation if they aren't careful....

HK-47 said:
Capcom is the only one who seems to have found a happy medium between new IP and sequels.

Oh, the irony.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What was Grand Turismo 3's first week sales? I believe that would be a better comparison.

C.T.

charlequin said:
In terms of milking their franchises to the point of ruin, Namco is like the girl who everyone looks down on who gets pregnant in 9th grade -- everyone else is like "oh, that was Namco; it can't happen to me!" but that doesn't mean that they can't wind up in the same situation if they aren't careful....

Oh, the irony.

:lol

charlequin said:
Oh, the irony.

Capcom has always churned out huge numbers of sequels, but they have also never stopped producing new, awesome IPs. That's why they can consistently stay on top of things even without a singlular 'l.ynchpin franchise' to pin their hopes on like SE or Konami.

rhino4evr

all those folks that called Mario a failure, should go play it again. This game will have legs for good reason. It will probably be the best selling "game" on Wii. Smash Bros may not even be able to compete.

Lightning

Banned
Vilix said:
What was Grand Turismo 3's first week sales? I believe that would be a better comparison.
Comparing PS2 sales to PS3 sales doesn't work, yet everyone will keep doing it. And why compare a Prologue of GT5 to a full game of GT3?

Seriously GAF sometimes... just complain for the sake of complaining.

womfalcs3

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
But it's also a barometer of what the retail game will sell.

The game is a long ways away. The install base will grow, the price of the hardware will go down, and there will be more hype for the final game. I don't think it's a measure of how it'll do...

I've been reading a lot of comments on Japanese websites, and many are complaining about the fact it's expensive for a prologue. I'm a GT fan, and I'll get GT5, but I agree with them. I'm not going to pay 45 dollars on a prologue.

enishi

JudgeN said:
GT5P was available on the PSN right? So why is 108k at retail so bad for a game that was available to you without having to go anywhere? Download numbers could have been great for all we know. I don't really understand GAF sometimes, sure the 53k PS3 hardware seems bad but considering the system used to do 8k a week not to long ago its a huge improvement. Of course its not going to beat the Wii but was it really suppose too?

Warhawk did 9k at PSN Japan (according to Sinobi: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10058787379.html)

Of course we cannot compare Warhawk to GT which is much popular in Japan. But it shows that PSN download is not that big in Japan. SCEJ expects 50k from PSN download for GT5P (while 250k from retail). If they get the ratio correct, that was 20k first week.

donny2112

Vilix said:

As pointed out by others, I don't see how it's a better comparison.

PS2 Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec 468K ... 263K ... 91K ... ... 1.44 million (20011230)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
rhino4evr said:
all those folks that called Mario a failure, should go play it again. This game will have legs for good reason. It will probably be the best selling "game" on Wii. Smash Bros may not even be able to compete.

Yeah we will see about that

king zell said:
early numbers from famitsu

Wii 168k
PS3 53K

mario party DS 160K (763K)
Wii Fit 120k
GT5P 108K
DQ4 78K (854K)
PL2 73K (482K)
Super Mario Galaxy 71K (571K)
Wii Sports 68K (2,262K)
Wii Play 67K (1,1814K)
Mario & Sonic at the Beijing Olympics 58K (207K)
Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure No Meikyuu 44k

http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?table=game_nds&num=17065&main=nds

Holy wow to Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play and Mario & Sonic. Not bad for Chocobo Dungeon and not bad for GT5P.

Holy shit to Wii's hardware sales.

sp0rsk said:
By the way, Nintendo has redoubled its Mario Galaxy advertising efforts.

Seems like it was just a rocky start for Mario, thing's seem to be truckin' now.

So, the million is not impossible now. That's sure a great news.

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2) : about 41k (480k)
Everybody's Golf Portable 2 (PSP) : about 39k (125k)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (DS) : about 39k (1.14m)
SD Gundam G Generations Spirits : about 30k (313k)
Mario Party 8 (Wii) : about 29k (948k)
Tales of Innocence : about 28k (135k)
Mario Kart DS (DS) : about 26k (2.61m)
Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP) : about 21k (1.42m)
New Super Mario Bros. (DS) : about 18k (4.93m)
Winning Eleven 2008 (PS3) : about 18k (211k)
Taiko Drum Master DS (DS) : about 16k (225k)
Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (DS) : about 16k (726k)
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 4 (DS) : about 16k (161k)

Disappointment for Minna no Golf 2. It seems that Mario Party 9 will be the firt to breat the million. And holy shit for New Super Mario Bros. almost at FIVE millions !!!

Defuser

enishi said:
Of course we cannot compare Warhawk to GT which is much popular in Japan. But it shows that PSN download is not that big in Japan. SCEJ expects 50k from PSN download for GT5P (while 250k from retail). If they get the ratio correct, that was 20k first week.
No,you're comparing a 'new' IP made by a western developer and a popular established IP made by japanese developer.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Defuser said:
I wouldn't compared prologue to any final version of Gran Turismo.

But is there a traditional final version? I mean, I believe the only way to get the final version of the game is to download everysingle car, racetrack, etc., when it comes out, yes?

orio7

Banned
Vilix said:
But is there a traditional final version? I mean, I believe the only way to get the final version of the game is to download everysingle car, racetrack, etc., when it comes out, yes?

That was changed ages ago...

Jokeropia

I knew Galaxy would perform strongly through the holidays. :D Next week and the first week of January should be even better. I hope all the gun jumpers learned a lesson!

Very impressive legs for Mario and Sonic as well. The demand for Wii Fit is still impossible to gauge since it keeps selling out.

Grecco

Pureauthor said:
Nice DS sales. Disappointing Tales sales, though.

Wii... well, 1st party and M&SatO are doing well. Nice legs on Galaxy.

No. It bombed. Sony had estimated 300k for its first week. (Half of the last GTP).... Of course nobody will care, we only care when Nintendo games bomb.

Just imagine Mario's legs in the states, his strongest region. With Halo 3 basically falling off the map at 4M(USA), it could possibly beat Master Chief especially since it's on a more popular console. Remember, even Sunshine did 3M++ in the USA.

It's ability to hook other people through word of mouth will determine how much leg this game has and if any game could do it, SMG is that game.

Dascu

I'm surprised at We Love Golf's weak sales. Talented team, quality game, popular genre... yet it sold so little.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
womfalcs3 said:

Maybe I'm wrong.

It could be first week, but that would be a Namco-level shitty estimation.

Grecco said:
No. It bombed. Sony had estimated 300k for its first week. (Half of the last GTP).... Of course nobody will care, we only care when Nintendo games bomb.

The last GTP did 200k first week not 600k, and Sony's estimate was 250k including 50k PSN downloads, and that estimate was not "first week", as far as I know it was lifetime--and if it was first week, I'm not sure why Sony would estimate that a PS3 title would do MORE than the PS2 equivalent despite the failure of every other PS3 title so far to do so.

Wow, nice to see SMG selling well (even though MP DS is STILL selling a lot better. :/)

As for ToI, just wow. I honestly don't know what Namco should do at this point... perhaps stick to the PS2? Or maybe PSP. I just don't think the DS is the ideal platform anymore.

Minna no Golf 2 sales are very disappointing. :/
Good to see DQ, both Layton games and MK DS selling well though!

Top Bottom