• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

E-phonk

Banned
And now it's all right, it's O.K.
And you may look the other way.
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man.
Whether you're a brother
Or whether you're a mother,
GA GA GA LAXY IS STAYING ALIVE - STAYING ALIVE.
Feel the planets breakin'
And ev'rybody shakin'
GA GA GA LAXY IS STAYING ALIVE - STAYING ALIVE.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Leonsito said:
Good numbers for GT5P, and impressive Mario Galaxy legs, maybe it can outsell WiiFit next week ?
It won't until Nintendo can't ship enough Wii Fits. You know, Wii Fit is the hottest game in Japan this Christmas.

Leonsito

starship said:
It won't until Nintendo can't ship enough Wii Fits. You know, Wii Fit is the hottest game in Japan this Christmas.

Yeah, I know, but I keep a hope for this, this week sales were +30k Galaxy, -30k WiiFit.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So if I have my weeks right, Galaxy is officially tracking better than Sunshine which at the same time did 18K/568K total.

Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2) : about 41k (480k)
Everybody's Golf Portable 2 (PSP) : about 39k (125k)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (DS) : about 39k (1.14m)
SD Gundam G Generations Spirits : about 30k (313k)
Mario Party 8 (Wii) : about 29k (948k)
Tales of Innocence : about 28k (135k)
Mario Kart DS (DS) : about 26k (2.61m)
Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP) : about 21k (1.42m)
New Super Mario Bros. (DS) : about 18k (4.93m)
Winning Eleven 2008 (PS3) : about 18k (211k)
Taiko Drum Master DS (DS) : about 16k (225k)
Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (DS) : about 16k (726k)
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 4 (DS) : about 16k (161k)

duckroll

Sharp said:
Back to PS2 then?

I don't care where it goes really, Tales needs to be shelved for a year or two while they work on something really solid imo. This "4 Tales a year" crap is getting really old, and lame. The sales reflect this.

schuelma

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:

No RE:UC?

HK-47 said:
Goddamnit, We Love golf deserved better =(

My hope is that the title flew under the radar and now people will start picking it up a la Mario and Sonic.

Speaking of which, great turnaround for Galaxy and M&S. I'm thinking M and Sonic could slow cook into a million seller like Brain Training did.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
False alarm on ToI it seems. Still not remarkable, though.

Still not selling out it's initial shipment! Tracking behind TotW PSP still. Really poor showing for what is billed as the next real original Tales game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sindou_Hikaru20 said:

Go Layton go. You'll get that 1 million yet :lol

Durante

DS is simply not (yet?) the JRPG system successor to PS2 that many claim it to be. This may change after DQ9 is released though.

Sharp said:
Back to PS2 then?
I'd support that, PCSX2 is awesome. Also, if the recent Persona 4 rumblings are true it doesn't seem completely impossible any more.

duckroll

HK-47 said:
Go Layton go. You'll get that 1 million yet :lol

The series is already past 1 million, and looking to do at least 1.5 million before the end of the year. It's a huge success for Level 5. This is before even the release of the overseas editions and the third and final game. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Durante said:
DS is simply not (yet?) the JRPG system successor to PS2 that many claim it to be. This may change after DQ9 is released though.

DS is doing just fine for JRPGs. Tales is a bit of a special (in the "special ed") case.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
DS is doing just fine for JRPGs. Tales is a bit of a special (in the "special ed") case.

So what other JRPGs are doing great on the DS besides DQ and FF? Maybe we'll see how Izunami 11 does, since Level 5 did such a wonderful job pushing Layton. Tales is definitely special, because Scamco is retarded, but I don't think it's totally alone.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
Still not selling out it's initial shipment! Tracking behind TotW PSP still. Really poor showing for what is billed as the next real original Tales game.

Yeah, I thought I heard about shortages for that one. The major shops here in Tokyo show otherwise. :)

Defuser

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, I thought I heard about shortages for that one. The major shops here in Tokyo show otherwise. :)
Now let's see whether the next rehash Tales game on PSP will do better or worse.

schuelma

MP8 looks to join the million seller list pretty soon.

Whether you think that is a good or bad thing on the other hand..

Defuser

duckroll said:
Too bad the next PSP one is a port! Lol Scamco!
Hence the word rehash!
Too bad Namco current gen efforts is horrible. Looks like they can only depend on Tekken/Soul Caliber.

cvxfreak

Defuser said:
Now let's see whether the next rehash Tales game on PSP will do better or worse.

I`ve been puzzled over the last two years as to how the Tales fanbase can handle so many releases on multiple platforms in a short timespan. It feels like yesterday when Rebirth was released in 2004 and now the PSP one is coming. The BH series went through a period of constant releases and announcements encompassing 2 generations worth of systems at the end of 1999 till 2000 which totally put a bunch of people off (love BH? Gotta buy that N64, DC, PS2, (eventually) GC and a GBC! :lol).

Even FF seems to be suffering from the same treatment as we saw with FFTA2 and FFXII IZJS. Only the truly major stuff sells nowadays (FFIII, CC FFVII, and hopefully FFIV) as people don`t have the time or money for smaller stuff.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
The series is already past 1 million, and looking to do at least 1.5 million before the end of the year. It's a huge success for Level 5. This is before even the release of the overseas editions and the third and final game. :)

The original will get to 750k before the new year. I dont think it will do that great in NA, like other adventure games (or adventure esque with puzzle elements in this case), but EU could probably give it a lift

Also it looks like DQ4 and MP DS are trying to beat each other to 1 million

schuelma said:
MP8 looks to join the million seller list pretty soon.

Whether you think that is a good or bad thing on the other hand..

I don't see why it would be anything but a good thing. People are enjoying it, that should be enough.

schuelma

DeaconKnowledge said:
I don't see why it would be anything but a good thing. People are enjoying it, that should be enough.

Well it fits in nicely with the "Japan only buys Wii minigames" argument.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
DS sales increased drastically, at this pace it would sell 400k-500k during last week of December.
I don't have Famitsu numbers but this is MC sales for last year:

DS sales:
4-10 Dec: 310k
11-17 Dec: 320k

And this year:
3-9 Dec: 168k

While it did way lower during 3-10 Dec of this year than in the same week last year, if Famitsu numbers are any indication, this past week it sold much closer to last year sales. Maybe it'll go up drastically again and break last year's record.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cvxfreak said:
I`ve been puzzled over the last two years as to how the Tales fanbase can handle so many releases on multiple platforms in a short timespan. It feels like yesterday when Rebirth was released in 2004 and now the PSP one is coming. The BH series went through a period of constant releases and announcements encompassing 2 generations worth of systems at the end of 1999 till 2000 which totally put a bunch of people off (love BH? Gotta buy that N64, DC, PS2, (eventually) GC and a GBC! :lol).

Even FF seems to be suffering from the same treatment as we saw with FFTA2 and FFXII IZJS. Only the truly major stuff sells nowadays (FFIII, CC FFVII, and hopefully FFIV) as people don`t have the time or money for smaller stuff.

We'll see more and more of this as companies continue to rely on sequels. Capcom is the only one who seems to have found a happy medium between new IP and sequels.

Still driving Mega Man into the ground though

duckroll

HK-47 said:
The original will get to 750k before the new year. I dont think it will do that great in NA, like other adventure games (or adventure esque with puzzle elements in this case), but EU could probably give it a lift

Also it looks like DQ4 and MP DS are trying to beat each other to 1 million

When all is said and done, the Layton series will probably have over 3 million sales for the trilogy in Japan alone. Anything outside of Japan is just gravy, but it'll probably be enough to push it over 4 million. For a new IP it's pretty motherfucking successful.

schuelma said:
Well it fits in nicely with the "Japan only buys Wii minigames" argument.

I'm pretty confident that that argument will die, just as it did on the DS. Pretty much everything else for Wii is following the same cycle as the handheld.

Defuser said:
Meanwhile third party games are suffering....

So it is by this right that Mario Party should fail? Come on. The Japanese public buy what they want. Would I have wanted No More Heroes to sell better? Of course. But it's stupid to wag your fingers at the public with accusations of sour grapes.

apujanata

Elios83 said:
Top 10:
Mario Party DS (DS) : about 160k (total about 763k)
Wii Fit (Wii) : about 120k (total about 527k)
GT5 Prologue (PS3) : about 108k
DQ4 (DS) : about 78k (total about 854k)
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (DS) : about 73k (total about 482k)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) : about 71k (total about 571k)
Wii Sports (Wii) : about 68k (total about 2.26m)
Wii Play (Wii) : about 67k (total about 1.81m)
Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (Wii) : about 58k (total about 207k)
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (Wii) : about 44k

The bombs:
Kirarin Revolution (DS) : about 21k
NiGHTS (Wii) : about 17k
Kingdom Under Fire (360) : about 15k
Ōkiku Furikabutte (DS) : about 9.3k
We Love Golf! (Wii) : about 8.6k
Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) : about 6.9k
Shikigami no Shiro 3 (360) : about 3.1k
Shikigami no Shiro 3 (Wii) : about 970

Hardware:
Wii : 168k
DSL : 249k
PS3 : 53k
PS2 : 21k
PSP : 158k
360 : 8.7k

Good sales for the Top 10. Go SMG.
Poor We love Golf! Hope it have legs (something better than SMG, more like Brain Age 1) and good word of mouth.

Wow at DS, Wii & PSP H/W. Poor PS3. Expected 360.

Last year # for comparison (Dec 11-17 week) :
Code:
DS: 319,866
PSP : 48,962
GBA : 3,400
PS3 : 70,942
Wii : 108,327
X360 : 17,168
PS2 : 37,730

As you can see, X360 is lower this year. Same with PS3, PS2 & DS. (No need to compare GBA, right ?)
Wii & PSP have significant increase.

Top Bottom