• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 22 - 28 May (kay, real this time)

Lee N

Membre
cvxfreak said:
1. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 899,518

My guess for 1 million copies in a week was not far off then. I'm guessing 2 million copies in just over a month.

Jiggy

You know, the DS really just makes me happy seeing that 2D gaming is alive and well with Mario and Tetris. I hope Rockman ZX later this year pulls in strong numbers also.

RaijinFY

A_Lee_N said:
My guess for 1 million copies in a week was not far off then. I'm guessing 2 million copies in just over a month.

Moreover, NSMB is really kind of game that has tremendous legs usually. So I would expect something higher than 2m. 3m copies is not out of the question.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A_Lee_N said:
Why will people buy a new copy when half the original buyers have already traded in NSMB?

Polari

OmegaRed said:
Pokemon is gonna strike for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

It's this year for Japan, isn't it?

And then there's Zelda... and then there's Final Fantasy III... amazing.

The DS is going to reach fever pitch this holiday season, and we'll see Wii around the same time. I wonder how that is going to work out.

Tadaima

11 - PS2 - Tsuyo Kiss: Mighty Heart (PrincessSoft)
12 - NDS - Pokémon Ranger (Nintendo)
13 - NDS - Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
14 - PS2 - .hack//G.U. Vol.1 (Bandai-Namco)
15 - PSP - Brain Training Portable 2 (SEGA)
16 - NDS - Touch Panic (Nintendo)
17 - PS2 - Street Fighter Zero: Fighter's Generation (Capcom)
18 - PS2 - Space Detective Spirit (Bandai-Namco)
19 - GCN - Jikkyou Powerful Major League (Konami)
20 - PSP - Magna Carta Portable (Banpresto)
21 - NDS - Kanji Training DS (Nintendo)
22 - GBA - MOTHER 3 (Nintendo)
23 - NDS - Yawaraka Atamajuku (Big Brain Academy) (Nintendo)
24 - NDS - SIMPLE DS Series Vol.8: The Kanshikikan - Kinkyuu Shutsudou!! Jiken Genba wo Touch Seyo (!) (D3 Publisher)
25 - PS2 - Dragon Quest Yangus (Square-Enix)
26 - PS2 - Soshite Kono Uchuu ni Kirameku Kimi no Shi (Datam Polystar)
27 - NDS - Right Brain Training: Point Blank Trainer (Bandai-Namco)
28 - PSP - Kamaitachi no Yoru 2 (SEGA)
29 - NDS - Children of Mana (Square-Enix)
30 - PS2 - Mystereet (First Print Limited Edition) (Yeti)

GhostSeed

Jiggy37 said:
You know, the DS really just makes me happy seeing that 2D gaming is alive and well with Mario and Tetris. I hope Rockman ZX later this year pulls in strong numbers also.

I hope ZX does well too. I haven't been this excited for a Mega Man game since Mega Man 3.

MrDaravon

Fuzzy said:
Why will people buy a new copy when half the original buyers have already traded in NSMB?

But wouldn't that same logic apply to the majority of Japanese games, yet some still go on to sell millions, including Mario games. Also being short doesn't necessarily indicate that people will trade it in; I've been in my EB and Gamestop locally 3 times this past week picking up stuff, and neither store has had NSMB in used at any point.

AniHawk

SailorDaravon said:
But wouldn't that same logic apply to the majority of Japanese games, yet some still go on to sell millions, including Mario games. Also being short doesn't necessarily indicate that people will trade it in; I've been in my EB and Gamestop locally 3 times this past week picking up stuff, and neither store has had NSMB in used at any point.

That's because people are buying the used ones instead.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just a thing I've been wondering about. When Nintendo has like 10-11 different brain training games out, do you think they would consistently hang around the top ten (possibly occupying all ten spots at times) just like the brain training games are doing today? Or when will the market for brain training games be saturated?

Jonnyram

And here's Matlock's GIF again for perspective:

nsmbw19wc.gif

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
CoolTrick said:
So what would you call the PSP software figures in Japan?
Well, comparing third party PSP games to third party DS games I would say a runaway success. For example, this week there are two third party PSP games in the top 15. How many third party DS games are in the top 15? That's right, zero. Fact of the manner is, the PSP is just much better for third parties. I can't see any reason for a third party to support the DS.

Lee N

Membre
Fuzzy said:
But there are ~400K used copies now sitting in stores for cheaper than the new copies.
We'll see.. I predict amazing legs for new super mario bros. It could evry well be the first DS game to hit 4 million sold copies in Japan alone.

CoolTrick

Banned
Well, comparing third party PSP games to third party DS games I would say a runaway success. For example, this week there are two third party PSP games in the top 15. How many third party DS games are in the top 15? That's right, zero. Fact of the manner is, the PSP is just much better for third parties. I can't see any reason for a third party to support the DS.

:lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
SailorDaravon said:
Let me use FFVII: DoC as an example. It sold 392K in the first week then a bunch of people traded it in right away. The next week it only sold 45K because most people bought the used copies instead of new copies.

RaijinFY

Fuzzy said:
Let me use FFVII: DoC as an example. It sold 392K in the first week then a bunch of people traded it in right away. The next week it only sold 45K because most people bought the used copies instead of new copies.

You shoudnt have used this example...

Jiggy

Fuzzy said:
Is the used market successful in Japan? I've never even seen it referenced before just now.

Archie said:

Japan != America

Fuzzy said:
I get the joke!

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
Is the used market successful in Japan? I've never even seen it referenced before just now.

It definitely is a presence to be reckoned with, especially for older titles.

I'm sure more than a handful of used retailers are pissed at the Wii's Virtual Console.

Polari

Archie said:
Like 300-400k. Still pretty low.

It's not bad at all, considering the circumstances (sequel to a game that was twelve years old, released on a dying platform overshadowed by the runaway success of its successor).

It could've done much worse.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
AdmiralViscen said:
Japan != America
Don't you get it? Third parties are the life blood that drives game sales. Nintendo's first party sales are good...for Nintendo. Without third party sales, support will falter on the DS and third parties will choose the PSP, where third parties sell much better. With all the third parties supporting the PSP, it is only a manner of time until Sony overtakes Nintendo in the global market. :D

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Archie said:
Don't you get it? Third parties are the life blood that drives game sales. Nintendo's first party sales are good...for Nintendo. Without third party sales, support will falter on the DS and third parties will choose the PSP, where third parties sell much better. With all the third parties supporting the PSP, it is only a manner of time until Sony overtakes Nintendo in the global market. :D

You really miss monorojo, don't ya? :lol

Tadaima

Total software in top 30:

System / This week / Last week
NDS / 14 /14
PS2 / 10 / 7
PSP / 4 / 4
GCN / 1 / 0
GBA / 1 / 5
X360 / 0 / 0

Archie said:
Like 300-400k. Still pretty low.

Don't you think that the hype for this game in the japanese hardcore gamers community (partially reflected in the Famitsu Most Wanted for example) kind of misled you, like many of us, by making you think that this game could have achieve astronomical sales ? Am I wrong.

Top Bottom