• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 22 - 28 May (kay, real this time)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Danthrax said:
Oh yeah. Put the crow in the oven and break out the fine china. Here comes last week's sales thread:
Hell yeah someone finally went and did it. Let's all point and laugh at GAF's sales-analysts!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The DS Lite sales are okay...at best. But in reality, they aren't that impressive. Most people who buy a DS Lite already own a DS. Nintendo is employing a double dip strategy by releasing an inferior hardware at first then upgrading it to something more useable. To truely compare how the Japanese market is doing, we must compare the original DS with the PSP. The PSP is most likely outselling the original DS because of mulimedia functions (movies, music and pictures) and the outstanding lineup of third party games.

We almost must consider the fickle nature of "non gamers". Non gamers are more likely to get bored of Brain Training and Nintendogs very fast, so they will buy a bunch of non games. Nintendo is not expanding the market by having the same group of people buy multiple games. If anything, they are contracting the market.

Sony is the real winner here. They are expanding the market beyond the core set of "non gamers" who cannot enjoy fine real games. I am just glad Sony is keeping an eye out for the real gamers who enjoy real games. You will never see Sony release inferior hardware only to upgrade it six months later. :D

Doogdogg

jesusraz said:
Thanks! So that's:

Starfox 64: ~633,500
Starfox Assault: ~195,000
Starfox Adventures: ~201,546 (as listed by Dengeki, according to IGN Cubed in Oct '02)
Can't find any original Starfox sales figures, though...

it's probably more. SF SNES sold like 5 million worldwide.

DKJB79

Archie said:
The DS Lite sales are okay...at best. But in reality, they aren't that impressive. Most people who buy a DS Lite already own a DS. Nintendo is employing a double dip strategy by releasing an inferior hardware at first then upgrading it to something more useable. To truely compare how the Japanese market is doing, we must compare the original DS with the PSP. The PSP is most likely outselling the original DS because of mulimedia functions (movies, music and pictures) and the outstanding lineup of third party games.

We almost must consider the fickle nature of "non gamers". Non gamers are more likely to get bored of Brain Training and Nintendogs very fast, so they will buy a bunch of non games. Nintendo is not expanding the market by having the same group of people buy multiple games. If anything, they are contracting the market.

Sony is the real winner here. They are expanding the market beyond the core set of "non gamers" who cannot enjoy fine real games. I am just glad Sony is keeping an eye out for the real gamers who enjoy real games. You will never see Sony release inferior hardware only to upgrade it six months later. :D

:lol

Doogdogg

Archie said:

mono held a cocked gun at point blank and made you typed all that :D

Archie said:
You will never see Sony release inferior hardware only to upgrade it six months later. :D

PSOne = Slimmer, better looking model of the original Playstation

Slim PS2 - Smaller version of the original PS2 with a built-in network adapter and better DVD playback capabilities

ioi

Banned
Dark Dragon said:
it's probably more. SF SNES sold like 5 million worldwide.

Starfox SNES- 800k
Starfox 64 N64- 640k
Starfox Adventures GC- 320k
Starfox Assault GC- 200k

And where's my Wii60?

While we're talking about predictions etc, I think another 400k next week for NSMB is very possible and 3m+ total.

Two games that did similar launch weeks are Chrono Trigger and Street Fighter II on SNES (two of the biggest 3rd party titles the SNES had) but I think NSMB will have much longer legs:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Chrono+Trigger&name2=Street+Fighter+II

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Archie said:

i think i felt the cold touch of a restless ghost.

king zell

Archie said:
You will never see Sony release inferior hardware only to upgrade it six months later. :D

No.. but in six months I will be buying another harware because the first one is not working anymore.. I replaced my Playstation 1&2 several times

jesusraz

ioi said:
Starfox SNES- 800k
Starfox 64 N64- 640k
Starfox Adventures GC- 320k
Starfox Assault GC- 200k

Ouch for the downward slide...Going back to its roots for Command will hopefully help it lift up to at least 400,000-500,000 in the long term.

Disappointment for Touch Panic not cracking the top ten, or could it be a slow burner?

900k first week sales ... re-cements the Super Mario series as one of the top Japanese game franchises.

It's *crazy* that Nintendo makes so few main Mario games.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 probably just jumped to a top priority for EAD ... I'm expecting an evolution from NSMB1 to NSMB2 similar to Mario 1 to Mario 3 on the NES.

I'd expect big numbers for Zelda: Twilight Princess as well now that its launching with the Wii ... perhaps if anyone at NCL was thinking Brain Training/Animal Crossing was the entire future of Nintendo ... well, looks like Mario and Link might have something to say about that.

Juice

Archie said:

I honestly, truly can't tell whether this is a joke post or not. I've read it twice.

I really just can't. My first thought was, "haha, he's making fun of Monorojo by imitating how ridiculous the things he would say are with an added hint of exaggeration!"

But I'm not so sure.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Juice said:
I honestly, truly can't tell whether this is a joke post or not. I've read it twice.

I really just can't. My first thought was, "haha, he's making fun of Monorojo by imitating how ridiculous the things he would say are with an added hint of exaggeration!"

But I'm not so sure.
Fake posting takes more effort than a real post.

Archie said:
The DS Lite sales are okay. ...(snip)... You will never see Sony release inferior hardware only to upgrade it six months later. :D

Besides, the third parties decide the fate of everything and they do best on the PSP.

lancubap

Archie said:

Sony is the real winner here. They are expanding the market beyond the core set of "non gamers" who cannot enjoy fine real games. I am just glad Sony is keeping an eye out for the real gamers who enjoy real games. You will never see Sony release inferior hardware only to upgrade it six months later.
/Monorojo
/Nintendo haters

Good imitation Archie. :lol

lancubap

soundwave05 said:
900k first week sales ... re-cements the Super Mario series as one of the top Japanese game franchises.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 probably just jumped to a top priority for EAD ... I'm expecting an evolution from NSMB1 to NSMB2 similar to Mario 1 to Mario 3 on the NES.

I'd expect big numbers for Zelda: Twilight Princess as well now that its launching with the Wii ... perhaps if anyone at NCL was thinking Brain Training/Animal Crossing was the entire future of Nintendo ... well, looks like Mario and Link might have something to say about that.

I totally agree with you. I thought that Mario was at the end (and after 200 millions games sold...), but it seems that he says:" I'm still the KING of the videogames industry".

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just posting in here again to point out that LAST week I said NSMB would sell out of its initial shipment. I claimed 800K but didn't know that Nintendo would screw me and ship 900K.

anywho, I am still predicting over 300K this week. maybe over 400K even.

and in regards to what I saw from the japanese used market, it is NOTHING like the US used market. When a title goes used in America, G$top and EBGame$ will knock the price down like $3-5. when I was in japan last year I was seeing used Nintendogs for like 1000Y less than new (~$10), and that was on the week of release. I would imagine the used market in japan is significantly larger than it is in america in regards to new titles.

soundwave05 said:

NSMB2 should be a DS2 launching title

almokla said:
NSMB2 should be a DS2 launching title

DS2 isn't coming out for a long, loooooooong time.

Not at the rate the current DS is selling at.

Nintendo could potentially sell 30 million in Japan alone, it's selling faster than any game console there in history.

ziran

If Nintendo can successfully present Wii as a fun console for literally anyone, recent sales do suggest huge potential for it in Japan.

GameDaily BIZ interviewed Tim DeClaire, Nintendo of America's Senior Manager of Public Relations, and he hinted at Brain Training being in development for Wii:
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/toppers/?id=12832
...With a seemingly endless demand in Japan, more Brain Age titles seems like... well, a no brainier. Additionally, the thought of bringing the franchise to the Wii seems like a natural combination. Nintendo has loved to talk up "expanding the market" with regards to both the DS and the Wii. One could imagine, using the Wii's remote controller doing tasks based on motor memorization, correct button presses and even hand writing. When asked about Brain Age on the Wii, DeClaire had a very calculated marketing answer: "We don't have anything to announce right now about that, but we do believe in giving people what they want and building on our successes."

"We have three brain-training titles available right now in Japan. Although we haven't announced anything specific, the success of the series has shown that there's a real hunger in the market for these types of games. So stay tuned."...
Edit - I'd guess it's going to happen, it will be interesting to see what new games/exercises Nintendo manages to create with the remote.

borghe said:
just posting in here again to point out that LAST week I said NSMB would sell out of its initial shipment. I claimed 800K but didn't know that Nintendo would screw me and ship 900K.

anywho, I am still predicting over 300K this week. maybe over 400K even.

and in regards to what I saw from the japanese used market, it is NOTHING like the US used market. When a title goes used in America, G$top and EBGame$ will knock the price down like $3-5. when I was in japan last year I was seeing used Nintendogs for like 1000Y less than new (~$10), and that was on the week of release. I would imagine the used market in japan is significantly larger than it is in america in regards to new titles.

Looks like we were closest.

On that note I think approx 300k second week is reasonable, but I'm willing to go less than more.

jesusraz

Roders5 said:
That chart just makes the UK wait harder to bare.

It'll get shoved in the Top 40 All Prices and Top 40 Budget Prices charts. No.1 for the Top 40 Budget chart? Could be tough to beat out PES5 at the moment...But it's bound to make Top 10 on its début week, surely!

Jeff-DSA

Archie said:

:lol

Stop, just stop... :lol :lol :lol

Saoh

HOLY FUCKING JESUS CRAP!!!! at NSMB!!!!

O__________O

*faints*

that is just crazy.

EDIT: Monorojo is back as Archie now :lol :lol :lol :lol

Leonsito

How did Nintendo managed to have 300k units in Japan, while making a launch in Australia, USA and Europe in 3 weeks?

Leonsito said:
How did Nintendo managed to have 300k units in Japan, while making a launch in Australia, USA and Europe in 3 weeks?

pikmin-20040826042858249.jpg

Very impressive sales with Mario. What does everyone think of the possibilities of the DS hitting sales of 20M before the DS' two year 'anniversary' (November 21)? Right now sales stand at 16M, rite?

Gamefront.de reports...
New Super Mario Bros.: 1,5 Mio. St. ausgeliefert / Vorübergehender Lieferstopp

01.06.06 - Nintendo gibt bekannt, dass von New Super Mario Bros. Click Picture bislang 1,5 Mio. Einheiten an den japanischen Handel ausgeliefert wurden; das Spiel kam am 25.05.06 auf den Markt.

899.518 Einheiten konnten bis zum 28.05.06 durchverkauft werden, mittlerweile wurde auch die Millionengrenze durchbrochen. Allerdings wird Nintendo nach Großhandelsangaben in der nächsten Woche keine neuen Exemplare ausliefern: Einen Grund nennt Nintendo nicht - es wird nur gesagt, dass keine Lieferung möglich ist.

Wahrscheinlich kommt Nintendo mit der Produktion nicht nach und wird erst in der übernächsten Woche weitere Spiele ausliefern. Bis dahin müssen die Kunden mit weniger als 500.000 Einheiten auskommen, die noch auf dem Markt sind. Es ist daher anzunehmen, dass New Super Mario Bros. Click Picture in den nächsten Tagen vielerorts ausverkauft sein wird und die Gebrauchtpreise steigen werden.

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS TO HAVE SHORTAGES SOON :lol

It seems Nintendo has already shipped 1.5m units but won't ship more next week. I think it also says that it has already surpassed million mark.

Razoric

Banned
anyone else think its fucking awesome that a brand new 2D (ish) Mario platformer can pull in almost 1 million sales in just one week in one territory? Nintendo is back bitches. :D :D :D

Top Bottom