• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 29 May - 4 June

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Trurl said:
I hope EAD plans on releasing another Super Mario Bros. game for the DS.
I hope New Super Mario Bros. 2 is as hard as Super Mario Bros. 2.

PacSales for UNCONFIRMED sales for... the next thread.
pacsales27aj.png

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Razoric said:
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island

Damn it. How many times must we go through this? Yoshi's Island was called Super Mario World 2 because of NoA's marketing, to give it a bigger push.

So, although a good game, I don't think it should be counted as a Mario platformer.

Oblivion

Magicpaint said:
I think its pretty much a given at this point. :)

As I've said before, like with SSB DS, NSMB2's existence will depend on how the PSP fares.

Oblivion said:
Damn it. How many times must we go through this? Yoshi's Island was called Super Mario World 2 because of NoA's marketing, to give it a bigger push.

So, although a good game, I don't think it should be counted as a Mario platformer.
Even in Japan the game was called "Super Mario: Yoshi's Island" and it has been included in the Super Mario Advance series. I agree that it doesn't really count as a Mario platformer, yet due to those facts it's still in a way a platformer... that is Mario.

I hope EAD puts Miyamoto and Tezuka on New Super Mario Bros. 2 and makes it totally awesome - co-op mode, vs. mode, original minigames, new power ups (that are also better than the highly lame Blue Shell, Mini Mushroom and Mega Mushroom), online play, create-a-level (kind of like MvDK2), have TOSE do bosses and make it the most nonlinear Mario game out there (either with a world map like SMB3/SMW or have a hub like SMS).

Trurl

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Ehh. Massive Nintendo successes getting a sequel on the same console is the exception rather than the rule, past 1990.
Yeah, it seems that Zelda is the only exception.

Trurl said:
Yeah, it seems that Zelda is the only exception.

And Metroid, we got two of em on both the GC and GBA. I think why I'm sure of a sequel is because this one is doing so incredibly well + competition.

loosus

Banned
If they make "New Super Mario Bros. 2," I hope it goes nuts like Super Mario Bros. 2 (the US version) did, with weird shit like guys running around with masks; a multisexual, egg-shooting dinosaur dragon thing; bird heads that eat you to lead you to other worlds; and the ability to actually pick things up -- something new to the Super Mario Bros. series at the time. Basically, they need to make a platform game that's nothing like a traditional Mario game (even going so far as to not have Mario in it from its inception), and then just sticking the Mario character in it at the last minute and adding a few Mario-like additions.

jarrod

Banned
While it had elements from later games in the series, New Super Mario Bros really felt like a design throwback to SMB1 in terms of structure, control and physics... I wouldn't mind if a potential "New Super Mario Bros 2" followed the same pattern, giving us a real followup to Doki Doki/Mario USA.

Oblivion

jarrod said:
While it had elements from later games in the series, New Super Mario Bros really felt like a design throwback to SMB1 in terms of structure, control and physics... I wouldn't mind if a potential "New Super Mario Bros 2" followed the same pattern, giving us a real followup to Doki Doki/Mario USA.

I agree, actually. I would like it if Nintendo sorta retread what they've done with the past 4 Super Mario Platformers. NSMB= SMB, NSMB2 = SM2, etc.

Kroole

jarrod said:
I wouldn't mind if a potential "New Super Mario Bros 2" followed the same pattern, giving us a real followup to Doki Doki/Mario USA.

Won't happen though :(

I guess the next game will be more of a sequel to SMB3.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
I kind of see "New Super Mario Bros. 2" as fitting. The question is though would it be based around the US Mario 2 or the Japanese Mario 2?

Scotch said:
I hope they won't call it New Super Mario Bros. 2.
yayaba said:
That's like calling the second Batman Begins "Batman Begins Again".
Comments like those have come up before, but I disagree. Noone complained that the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation was still called Star Trek: The Next Generation, even though it was the same generation as the previous season. If there's a sequel in the next 5 years, I'd bet on it being New Super Mario Bros. 2.

jarrod

Banned
Oblivion said:
I agree, actually. I would like it if Nintendo sorta retread what they've done with the past 4 Super Mario Platformers. NSMB= SMB, NSMB2 = SM2, etc.
It'd be a pretty bankable pattern imo, it'd also help "genre fatigue" from overshadowing the games too... they'd each feel really unique, resonating with their own identities, unlike the annual Sonic/Crash/Spyro/Jak/R&C/Tak/MegaMan/etc installments.

jarrod

Banned
Darmstadtium said:
I kind of see "New Super Mario Bros. 2" as fitting. The question is though would it be based around the US Mario 2 or the Japanese Mario 2?
The western release... SMB2 JP is too closely associated with the original. In Japan they could even call it, "New Super Mario Bros USA" instead.

Cheebs

Magicpaint said:
And Metroid, we got two of em on both the GC and GBA. I think why I'm sure of a sequel is because this one is doing so incredibly well + competition.
And Pokemon.

It's more like Nintendo hates doing Mario sequels on the same system.

jarrod

Banned
Metroid Prime Hunters - 9133
DQ & FF in Itadaki Street - 8574

???

Itadaki P's performace is even worse than Hanjuku DS it looks like. Crisis Core can't come soon enough...

Cheebs said:
And Pokemon.

It's more like Nintendo hates doing Mario sequels on the same system.
Ehh, Pokémon has mostly had the variants that belong in a set.

GB: 1 set (Red/Green/Blue/Yellow)
GBC: 1 set (Gold/Silver/whatevertheotheronewas)
GBA: 1 set original (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald), 1 set remake (FireRed/LeafGreen)

Yes, certainly there are examples of games with sequels, but they are the exception.

Cheebs

jarrod said:
Metroid Prime Hunters - 9133
DQ & FF in Itadaki Street - 8574

???

Itadaki P's performace is even worse than Hanjuku DS it looks like. Crisis Core can't come soon enough...
So even DSL's huge insanity didn't make Metroid huge eh? (Well it did do 30k last week)

cvxfreak

Cheebs said:
So even DSL's huge insanity didn't make Metroid huge eh? (Well it did do 30k last week)

It hasn't been readily available. I'm sure it's sales were probably better than expected, even though they're not a hell of a whole lot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Oblivion said:
Shouldn't we have gotten sales by now? :/
Those same ninjas that stole the black DSL shipment also stole the sales numbers for this week. We're out of luck. :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Darmstadtium said:
I meant Japanese SMB2, shut up jarrod!!!! >_< SMB2 was really challenging throughout, I'd like NSMB2 to be the same.

ioi

Banned
A 245k week 3 would put NSMB ahead of both Street Fighter II and Pokemon FR / LG (the two closest comparisons):

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Street+Fighter+II

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

And makes 3m very possible now. I'd expect NSMB to sail past FF XII in about 6 weeks at this rate...

245k would also be around the 7th biggest week 3 on record (with 2 of the games above having their week 3 fall in the big xmas week and the other 4 being Pokemon / DQ):

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japwk.php?week=3

Top Bottom