• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

Delio

Really interesting to see Sony dominating the top five. I knew Monster hunter wouldnt die any time soon and more success for both portables the better i say ^_^. The rest of this year will really be fun.

ethelred

Grecco said:
Selling more than a Zelda game in Japan isnt exactly an amazing barometer of success. I kinda liked your first edit more.

It isn't? Oh, okay. I'm glad we've established "success" as "nothing under 600,000 copies sold."

Delio said:
Really interesting to see Sony dominating the top five. I knew Monster hunter wouldnt die any time soon and more success for both portables the better i say ^_^. The rest of this year will really be fun.
The way I see it, Nintendo will keep holding the large part of software, but the major PSP and PS3 releases will take top spot when they first come out and then it'll go back down. Really it's only natural for Sony to be up so high when there were barely any major releases on the other platforms(That I know of) for this period.

Reason why it was all Sony for the top 5 was due to several factors:

A) MH release was big

B) No big games for Nintendo

C) Most Nintendo games on the list have been out for a while

D) The timing of the releases was very key to this as well.

jeremy1456

Delio said:

After Monster Hunter, is there anything else for PSP this year that will actually stands a good chance of charting in the top 10? Top 20?

The PS3 will probably have a few titles hitting up the top 10 here and there, but please explain to me how the rest of this year will be 'fun' for anyone who's not a Nintendo fanboy.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be rude, my question is actually quite genuine.

jeremy1456

Defuser said:
Dissidia? Birth By Sleep?

Ahh, gotcha.

Wait, is there confirmation that either of these games are going to drop in 2008? I mean, Crisis Core didn't come out until like 3 years after it was announced.

kassatsu

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
After Monster Hunter, is there anything else for PSP this year that will actually stands a good chance of charting in the top 10? Top 20?

The PS3 will probably have a few titles hitting up the top 10 here and there, but please explain to me how the rest of this year will be 'fun' for anyone who's not a Nintendo fanboy.

03./00. [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Square-Enix) - 91,000 / NEW

sticksave

Neo Member
ethelred said:
As Aerosmith says in Dream On, "you know it's true."

Damn you I had to go look up the lyrics to see if that was true. Nonetheless the song title really is all you need to say for a retort, one week does not a domination make.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CrushDance said:
The way I see it, Nintendo will keep holding the large part of software, but the major PSP and PS3 releases will take top spot when they first come out and then it'll go back down. Really it's only natural for Sony to be up so high when there were barely any major releases on the other platforms(That I know of) for this period.

High profile new releases on ANY platform top the chart. Halo 3 topped the chart, as just one example. Ace Combat 6 would have topped the chart if Mario Galaxy hadn't released the weak that it did.

It's novel to the last few years that titles that aren't new releases sit around for a year in the top 30.

It's no credit to Sony that you theorize that in the future major PS3 and PSP releases will end up near the top of the charts. It would be a greater-than-Xbox level failure if Sony managed to not top the charts with major releases.

You need to distinguish between the good sales (Monster Hunter 2g) and the "meh, new release sales" (Orochi 2, Star Ocean 2, Pro Baseball Spirits, Yowiko's Deserted Island Life).

Also decent legs for Echochrome. Given that the game sold out its first run in a week, it looks like Sony understands how to sell it. It's not going to sell to a wide audience, so keep supply small but steady. Hell, I think the US download-only strategy is a good one as well.

jeremy1456 said:
Ahh, gotcha.

Wait, is there confirmation that either of these games are going to drop in 2008? I mean, Crisis Core didn't come out until like 3 years after it was announced.
Dissidia has a good chance of dropping in 08, as does KH.

XiaNaphryz said:
...and here come the "SONY OMG" posters that mysteriously disappear in most MC weeks.
I know. Just like all the "NINTENDOMINATION" poster that were mysteriously absent all those years prior to the DS launch :lol

People love it when their system of choice is doing good, period. No need to bring up system wars into these threads.

ccbfan

jeremy1456 said:

Considering stuff like Code Geass PSP charted last week in the top 10, pretty much any decent new release would be in the top ten.

jeremy1456

ccbfan said:
Considering stuff like Code Geass PSP charted last week in the top 10, pretty much any decent new release would be in the top ten.

The PSP hardware was flying off of the shelves last week because of Monster Hunter. I believe had that not been the case Code Geass would not have charted.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shiiiiit at Sony this round :O

farnham

Banned
MH2 on PS2 was a success of course...

MHP 2 G is just mind blowing

it outsold every PS2 game excluding FF X, FFXII, FFX -2 and DQ VIII (right,..?)

Mister Chef said:
I know. Just like all the "NINTENDOMINATION" poster that were mysteriously absent all those years prior to the DS launch :lol

People love it when their system of choice is doing good, period. No need to bring up system wars into these threads.
they were around when Pokemon games launched...

remember pokemon emerald.. that one hanged around for over 1 year...

ah i miss the daily charts

ccbfan

jeremy1456 said:
The PSP hardware was flying off of the shelves last week because of Monster Hunter. I believe had that not been the case Code Geass would not have charted.

Now you're either just being a troll or just plain stupid.

The PSP has had a game in the top ten for almost every week this year. Why would you think it'd suddenly change?

jeremy1456 said:

Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (easy million seller)
Various licensed anime games

I... honestly can't think of anything else. There doesn't seem to be much else that's BIG on the horizon for the PSP (unless I'm forgetting something).

Nippon Ichi claimed they have several PSP games in development, at least one of those is destined to break the top 10 in Japan, whatever they may be (I assume Disgaea 2 is getting ported).

If Square Enix has another conference for announcing their latest games like they did last year, then there's a 100% likely chance they'll announce more RPG's/Nomura games for the PSP. And you can bet on it that there WILL be a Fabula Nova Crystalis game for the PSP.

It's also kind of odd to not see many Namco games on the horizon, if any, especially Tales. Namco has ported every single Team Destiny Tales to the PSP except... well, Tales of Destiny (which is odd, considering they ported ToD2 to the PSP). Every summer Namco holds a Tales conference - I guess you can expect them to announce a ToD port for the PSP this summer (and maybe even a new World game).

Speculation on my part. Where are all the juicy Japanese game conferences this year? Nintendo and Square Enix in particular... nothing. :(

Delio

jeremy1456 said:

By Fun i mean if Sony will keep up there stride. I try not to come off as some fanboy to any system but i do see nintendo keeping the overall lead with sony getting second. And i do hope the KH games come out this year.

wazoo

Namco has ported pretty much all most of its licences to PSP, as well as Capcom/Konami.

Portable gaming is not so open to multiple yearly releases (MH is an exception) because people are happy with their one shot they have and anyway sales are not so encouraging.

PSP library has lots of good games that did not sell but are available at very cheap prices. Also this backlibrary is hurting new games to be produced.

Verve

ethelred said:
As Aerosmith says in Dream On, "you know it's true."

and as aerosmith says even further in dream on:

"sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away"

JeremyR

Chris Michael said:
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (easy million seller)
Various licensed anime games

I... honestly can't think of anything else. There doesn't seem to be much else that's BIG on the horizon for the PSP (unless I'm forgetting something).

Phantasy Star Portable could be pretty big. Also a Super Robot Wars game is coming out. They should do at least 100,000 I'd think.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 numbers are easy to get wrong due to their weird release dates...

Last year edition (4) went on sale on a Sunday, so thats right, 39k for PS2 and 18k for PS3 were just 1 day figures. The week after that PS2 sold 49k and PS3 15k. So around 122k for 8 days. PS2 version had good legs btw, went on to sell 197k, highest selling entry ever.

Now this year edition (5) went on sale on a Tuesday, taking Famitsu numbers (PS2 80k - PS3 50k) it sold 130k in 6 days. Nearly on par with PS2 version, and better PS3 sales. Now we're off to see if legs show up again.

Its interesting to see second-rate IPs from Konami are improving yearly while their stellar IPs stall or decrease its numbers. I mean that Pro Yakyuu Spirits is making up for Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu, and J-League Winning Eleven for Winning Eleven ones.

Also good numbers for Star Ocean 2 which suffered from retailer confidence because of the first one. This time the shipment is far smaller and the numbers are pretty near.

Musou Orochi 2 220k vs last-year Musou Orochi 377k...too much of a steep drop imo, most likely better numbers than anywhere else but still worrisome for Koei.

I knew this week would attract a lot of "special" posters, we're off to a very promising start indeed.

Pretty much in line with Famitsu, though mc still has RGGK in so I sympathize more with their take. Impressive 2nd week for MH. It seems to bring in a lot of new customers.

Doubledex said:
Nah! Don't get me wrong! I mean: Monster Hunter + good sales = more developer-love for PSP :D
Yep, it worked for MH before. I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work again this time.

Top Bottom