• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

sphinx said:
Zelda, Mario and Metroid and everything that could have been considered hardcore underperformed, proof that veteran gamers are not on board.
Ehh. I believe by now Super Mario Galaxy is the most successful 3D platformer whose name doesn't start with "Super Mario 64"; and it may yet pass one of those two up.

kswiston

Laguna said:
Like I said you have some weird expectations.

Why did you set your bar at 1,5m-2m? Is there any reason behind this? I hope you know that only Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest broke that mark on PS2? In other words it´s quit an achievement to sell that amount. It´s an amount that rarely a game not called DQ, FF, Pkm can get. So it is indeed a bit weird to set the bar that high and also funny when someone says something like -

"hey but they didn´t release any games that reached that mark besides Mario Party since early 2007."

Ah, now I get what you mean. You misunderstood how that thread of posts started then. Basically, Monster Hunter Portable 2G has a shot at 2M, and if it passes English Training, it will be the 7th best selling portable game this gen. This was stated by another poster who went on to say that it should still be in the handheld top 20 at the end of this generation.

Basically, I think it's guarenteed to be in the top 15 handheld games, and will probably be in the top 10, by the end of this gen because 2M+ games don't come around too often. If MHP2G passes 2M ( and English training's LTD), we'd need four more portable games with higher sales to push it out of the top 10.

I'm not trying to downplay the sales of the top DS games (which are better than those of the top PS2 games). I just think that, after getting six 2M+ selling titles for the DS in the space of a year in 2005/2006 people forget how unprecedented that was, and how rare it is to see a game reach 2M+ in Japan (usually one or two titles a year across all platforms will reach that number).

Laguna

Banned
kwiston
MH2G 2m? That isn´t impossible especially considering that it´s likely that there won´t be a new entry on PSP until late 2009 (more time than MHP2 had before MH2G got released). Even the Wii release could benefit MH2G overall sales :D.

birdchili

sphinx said:
Zelda, Mario and Metroid and everything that could have been considered hardcore underperformed, proof that veteran gamers are not on board.

Will Disaster: DoC bring them back? Fatal Frame 4?... I have strong doubts.
the number of wii gamers who are both core gamers and non-gamecube-owners is likely still relatively small. people who want mario bought a gamecube last gen, so galaxy doing less well than wii sports but better than sunshine is a decently good sign, though a better showing given its critical acclaim would have been a stronger one (of course).

i'm somewhat surprised we haven't seen more on the jrpg and new (core) ip front from nintendo, but given where wii is at now, i anticipate announcements in the next bit. they've done a fine job of selling wii ___-style stuff, and recovering some of the nintendo fans who fell away during the gamecube years, but a true play for the ps2 crowd hasn't really been revealed yet (though i wouldn't be surprised to see monster hunter get a big push).

it seems evident that there was an effort to attract new audiences, as well as to retain/regain the n64/gamecube crowd. the ps2 crowd would have been a pretty ambitious dream a couple of years ago.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
I agree with you that the core gamer/PS2 group is largely not on board yet, but I think you are overstating things a bit. Yes, Zelda underperformed, but Galaxy will hit a million, reversing a downward trend and Metroid is a complete niche game anyways.

If you really want to do that type of analysis, games like Fire Emblem, Super Paper Mario, and of course Smash Brothers have outperformed their GC counterparts.

I guess I would say that the Nintendo core gamers are on board, but Nintendo has a lot of work to do to get the PS2 crowd over.

Maybe games like ToS:KoR, Shiren 3, Fatal Frame will help that a bit. (I'm very curious about the month of June- you have Shiren, ToS, then Disaster at the start of July) And I do think Monster Hunter is marketed right could really get some of that group to jump in.

the fact that sequels of games that appeared on gamecube are selling better on Wii does not make the system less of a failure in regards to general hardcore games. You have followed the MC threads since the Wii was launched. It had to be smash bros, the sequel to the best selling gamecube game ever, to pass the million mark. Galaxy will need long months to pass the million, it will crawl, sweat and struggle to pass the mark, if it does.

in regards to wii software, we have had to downgrade expectations so much that a game is " wow, doing great! " when it reaches (and stops selling at) 90K or 80k. Ask the DS or PS2 how many >90k games they have in their catalogues.... dozens upons dozens upon dozens.

Why is 90k or 80k game all of a sudden a highlight in the catalogue of wii games is something I've been wonderng since a couple of months ago.

The Wii is pretty much like the PSP, both are used with very specific purposes when bought

Wii: wave the controller around when friends come by.
PSP: hack and pirate stuff.

yes, one has smash bros or Wii fit, the other has monster hunter portable, but they are niche products and the bulk of gamers is god knows where but certainly not on board with any of both.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I don't mind having the PSP win every once in a while, it makes the media create sales interesting.

Adds some spice to everyday life.

With that said, 1/2 of the posters in this thread will disappear in 2-3 weeks and we wont see them for a while. Treasure it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sphinx said:
the fact that sequels of games that appeared on gamecube are selling better on Wii does not make the system less of a failure in regards to general hardcore games. You have followed the MC threads since the Wii was launched. It had to be smash bros, the sequel to the best selling gamecube game ever, to pass the million mark. Galaxy will need long months to pass the million, it will crawl, sweat and struggle to pass the mark, if it does.

I confess that I don't fully understand your post. Your original post stated that Nintendo's core games have largely underperformed. Underperformed according to what? I gave you evidence that most nintendo franchises actually have sold better than its previous iteration. If your point is that those sales are still poor relative to the market, I firmly disagree- for instance, Smash, Galaxy, Zelda, Super Paper Mario and DQ:S have all sold more than any game on PS3 or 360.

lordmrw

sphinx said:

in regards to wii software, we have had to downgrade expectations so much that a game is " wow, doing great! " when it reaches (and stops selling at) 90K or 80k. Ask the DS or PS2 how many >90k games they have in their catalogues.... dozens upons dozens upon dozens.

Why is 90k or 80k game all of a sudden a highlight in the catalogue of wii games is something I've been wonderng since a couple of months ago.

The Wii is pretty much like the PSP, both are used with very specific purposes when bought

Wii: wave the controller around when friends come by.
PSP: hack and pirate stuff.

yes, one has smash bros or Wii fit, the other has monster hunter portable, but they are niche products and the bulk of gamers is god knows where but certainly not on board with any of both.

Lets be completely honest, have you seen the majority of Wii games third parties have release in japan? Different strokes for different folks and all, but alot of it was just plain pathetic. Most of the games that should have done well, did. Its just there's been alot of so-so efforts that in the grand scheme of things, did alright for what they are.

schuelma

lordmrw said:
Lets be completely honest, have you seen the majority of Wii games third parties have release in japan? Different strokes for different folks and all, but alot of it was just plain pathetic. Most of the games that should have done well, did. Its just there's been alot of so-so efforts that in the grand scheme of things, did alright for what they are.

I think the biggest strike against the Wii audience so far has been just the complete and utter bombing of titles that should have at least done ok- stuff like Wii Love Golf, NiGHTS, even something like Zack and Wiki which should have done better than 10K first week.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't mind having the PSP win every once in a while, it makes the media create sales interesting.

Adds some spice to everyday life.

With that said, 1/2 of the posters in this thread will disappear in 2-3 weeks and we wont see them for a while. Treasure it.
Quoted for future reference.

Some of you guys are seriously insane about this stuff, if a platform/games sell well it's somehow a problem that requires one to attack other posters? Wtf is wrong with you guys. What makes it even worse is that a large part of the comments were sarcastic and not meant to be taken seriously.

Tron 2.0

schuelma said:
I think the biggest strike against the Wii audience so far has been just the complete and utter bombing of titles that should have at least done ok- stuff like Wii Love Golf, NiGHTS, even something like Zack and Wiki which should have done better than 10K first week.
I think Wii Love Golf bombing was unexpected, to be sure, but the lackluster sales of NiGHTS is not all that surprising, unless you're expecting people to have purchased the game en masse just because of fond feelings for the first title. This new one just wasn't very good. At all. Even the original being released on PS2 bombed hard. The nostalgia factor wasn't as big as Sega was hoping apparently.

And Zack and Wiki was a fun game, but a very very niche title. Point-and-click adventures are not mainstream. They have a devoted fan base, but not enough of one to push a lot of software. I think it did about as well as one would realistically expect.

schuelma

Tron 2.0 said:
And Zack and Wiki was a fun game, but a very very niche title. Point-and-click adventures are not mainstream. They have a devoted fan base, but not enough of one to push a lot of software. I think it did about as well as one would realistically expect.

I'm not saying I expected ZaW to sell 500K- My point is that even niche titles on the PS2 seemed to have an audience. I don't see that with the Wii userbase (yet).

CrushDance said:
Quoted for future reference.

Some of you guys are seriously insane about this stuff, if a platform/games sell well it's somehow a problem that requires one to attack other posters? Wtf is wrong with you guys. What makes it even worse is that a large part of the comments were sarcastic and not meant to be taken seriously.

I see it like regulars at a bar poking fun at the lone guys that come in only on St. Patrick's day to get wasted then you never see them again.

schuelma said:
I'm not saying I expected ZaW to sell 500K- My point is that even niche titles on the PS2 seemed to have an audience. I don't see that with the Wii userbase (yet).

In general we also don't see sales as much any more. So that may be the reason.

ccbfan

schuelma said:

Wii's main problem right now is that it has absolutely no market for mid to low tier games. Games that should be selling 50-100K are selling 5-10K. Its a major problem because low profile games are suppose to find a haven with the Wii and its lower dev cost but so far these low profile games are selling really bad on the Wii sometimes even worse than they do on the 360.

Its definitely seems that the Wii have only gotten the GCN Core gamers. Sure a few series sell better than their GCN counter parts but one would have to assume a decent share of the super casuals would give a chance to games with an icon like Mario in it.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
I confess that I don't fully understand your post. Your original post stated that Nintendo's core games have largely underperformed. Underperformed according to what? I gave you evidence that most nintendo franchises actually have sold better than its previous iteration. If your point is that those sales are still poor relative to the market, I firmly disagree- for instance, Smash, Galaxy, Zelda, Super Paper Mario and DQ:S have all sold more than any game on PS3 or 360.

( everything I'll say is just related to Japan, nowhere else)

The Wii massively underperfoms if we are to think of it as the supreme console wars leader, not as as nintendo home console. As a nintendo product, it's doing better than ever and like you say, proof of that is that nintendo series are performing better than gamecube and maybe even some N64 iterations.

but compare the Wii ecosystem to that of the PS2, the PS1, the SNES. It just can't compare. Gamers are not on board. Nintendo fans, which is a very specific niche gamer and those people that had never bought a gaming console that got convinced by the wiimote marketing are on board, not the gamer that bought a PS 10 years ago for Rpgs, adventures, the Square enix fan, the sports fan, the horror games fan, etc. etc.

The consoles I mention were " THE console" of their generation. If you didn't had them, you were not into gaming, period. In contrast, If you don't have a Wii, you are not into Wii sports and the many variations of mini-games that include shake and waggle and tilt.

If nintendo was serious about the Wii being the one console to rule them all, they would have secured, moneyhatted and succesfully negotiated something that is worth a japanese hardcore gamer's while, not fatal frame 4.

Monster Hunter 3 will be interesting but still, I am not seeing nintendo having the aggresive moves of Microsoft, for example. Maybe it's because in the end it has barely paid off to do that. They secured quite an ammount of good games with the gamecube and the system was and always remained a failure.

My guess is that nintendo will not beg 3rd parties for anything, specially now that they are sure, more than ever before, that they will not only survive but succeed without them. Like I've said before it looks like nintendo will take the whole cake for themselves and 3rd parties (particularly sony fanboys like Square Enix and Konami ) will learn the hard way to not to backstab and spit on the face of a company that once gave them enourmous successes. I think SE and Konami saying "LOL nintendo" once sony appeared with the PS1 is a move they will sooner or later regret.

I hope all 3rd parties learn from their mistakes and support BOTH nintendo and Sony from now on, and learn from their dirty fanboyish behaviors.

Frillen

indie85 said:
Wow, clean sweep top 5, go sony.

Looking at your post history, your post didn't really surprise me.

Anyway, any anecdotal sales for Mario Kart Wii. Vinnk? Sporsk? Also, how is MHP2G performing this week?

schuelma

sphinx said:
( everything I'll say is just related to Japan, nowhere else)

The Wii massively underperfoms if we are to think of it as the supreme console wars leader, not as as nintendo home console. As a nintendo product, it's doing better than ever and like you say, proof of that is that nintendo series are performing better than gamecube and maybe even some N64 iterations.

but compare the Wii ecosystem to that of the PS2, the PS1, the SNES. It just can't compare. Gamers are not on board. Nintendo fans, which is a very specific niche gamer and those people that had never bought a gaming console that got convinced by the wiimote marketing are on board, not the gamer that bought a PS 10 years ago for Rpgs, adventures, the Square enix fan, the sports fan, the horror games fan, etc. etc.

The consoles I mention were " THE console" of their generation. If you didn't had them, you were not into gaming, period. In contrast, If you don't have a Wii, you are not into Wii sports and the many variations of mini-games that include shake and waggle and tilt.

If nintendo was serious about the Wii being the one console to rule them all, they would have secured, moneyhatted and succesfully negotiated something that is a japanese hardcore gamer's while, not fatal frame 4.

Monster Hunter 3 will be interesting but still, I am not seeing nintendo having the aggresive moves of Microsoft, for example. Maybe it's because in the end it has barely paid off to do that. They secured quite an ammount of good games with the gamecube and the system was and always remained a failure.

My guess is that nintendo will not beg 3rd parties for anything, specially now that they are sure, more than ever before, that they will not only survive but succeed without them. Like I've said before it looks like nintendo will take the whole cake for themselves and 3rd parties (particularly sony fanboys like Square Enix and Konami ) will learn the hard way to not to backstab and spit on the face of a company that once gave them enourmous successes. I think SE and Konami saying "LOL nintendo" once sony appeared with the PS1 is a move they will sooner or later regret.

I hope all 3rd parties learn from their mistakes and support BOTH nintendo and Sony from now on, and learn from their dirty fanboyish behaviors.

I don't really have much disagreement with this post, except to say I do think Nintendo will try and secure more core gamer franchises as shown by getting MH3.

But we'll see

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
I don't really have much disagreement with this post, except to say I do think Nintendo will try and secure more core gamer franchises as shown by getting MH3.

But we'll see

before I contradict myself, I do not think nintendo will be agressive in securing 3rd party worthy stuff, they just don't care and will care even less with time BUT...

I do think 1 of the 2 undisclosed fabula Nova crystalis games from the FFXIII world is for wii, there is no freaking way that not one of them is for Wii but not because nintendo begged, I think it will be more like SE wanting a piece of the cake.

Even thought they are considered crap, I don't see home console Mana games from SE going anywhere but to the Wii, as well.

So yeah, I look forward to this sort of announcements down the line but I think they will only prepare the grounds for a " One console to rule them all" when next generation arrives.

SE and Konami will receive a huge moral blow when they see their ohhh so premier titles ( FFXIII, MGS4 ) performing waaaaay below expectations in their homeland. Capcom and Ubisoft are being VERY wise this time around in contrast, they behave like a business corporation, not some bunch of geeky console fanboys.

fahr

The bigger issue for me is not whether or not the Wii can win over the hardcore gamer, what worries me is that the hardcore gamers in japan just don't want to play our kind of games anymore.

We've all known that gaming in japan has been in decline for years, and it took Nintendo to completely rewrite the rules to revitalize it. Unfortunately, the fallout is that every major japaneese developer can't get a foothold. They are still releasing the same kind of games that have been declining in popularity over there (which are the games I love) only to find out everyone in japan just wants to waggle.

The success of MHPG gives me great hope for the future. That's a hardcore, true "capcom" style game without a gimmick in sight. And I sincerely hope that MH3 sees similar success.

I dont care if Sony wins or Nintendo wins. What i want to win is Mario Galaxy, MH3, MGS4 and FF13. If Brain Training and Wii Sports are the only games that people play nowadays, then consider me an old guy who just "can't connect with kids these days".

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Wii's problem seems to be that "hardcore" third party games need to be from extremely established franchises for gamers to look at them - Resident Evil, Dragon Quest. It almost mirrors PSP's situation. If developers are as smart about Wii as they are with PSP they could get something going. They could even apply the exact same franchises to both platforms: Monster Hunter PSP -> Monster Hunter Wii. Another good choice IMO would be Star Ocean PSP -> Star Ocean 4 Wii.

Wii doesn't seem capable of spawning a franchise like Shin Sangokumusou or Devil May Cry.

Eteric Rice

Sage00 said:
Wii's problem seems to be that "hardcore" third party games need to be from extremely established franchises for gamers to look at them - Resident Evil, Dragon Quest. It almost mirrors PSP's situation. If developers are as smart about Wii as they are with PSP they could get something going. They could even apply the exact same franchises to both platforms: Monster Hunter PSP -> Monster Hunter Wii. Another good choice IMO would be Star Ocean PSP -> Star Ocean 4 Wii.

Wii doesn't seem capable of spawning a franchise like Shin Sangokumusou or Devil May Cry.

I think this can be attributed to the vast amounts of shovelware that was thrown on the Wii. To be honest, I'd be afraid to buy a game without a known name as well.

doicare

Frillen said:
Looking at your post history, your post didn't really surprise me.

Looking at your post history, your post didn't really surprise me either :lol. Really do you have to come into every sales thread and tell everybody how awesome the wii/ds is and at the same time have a problem with any other console doing well, it's getting really old.

31./24. [PS2] Gundam Musou Special (Bandai-Namco)
32./32. [NDS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant DS (Sega)
33./38. [NDS] Shugo Chara! Three Eggs and the Joker in Love (Konami)
34./34. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
35./47. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
36./00. [NDS] Keroro Gunsou 3: Adventure in the Sky! (Bandai-Namco)
37./39. [WII] Everyone's General Knowledge Training TV (Nintendo)
38./40. [PSP] Musou Orochi (Koei)
39./19. [NDS] Home Teacher Hitman Reborn! DS: Vongole Battle Dice (Takara-Tomy)
40./31. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
41./42. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
42./28. [PSP] Tales of Rebirth (Bandai-Namco)
43./16. [PS2] Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (ArcSystemWorks)
44./00. [NDS] Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 10 (Konami)
45./00. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
46./00. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
47./41. [WII] The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Sega)
48./00. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
49./15. [NDS] Lux Pain (Marvelous Entertainment)
50./00. [PS2] Monster Hunter 2: Dos (Capcom)

NDS - 26
WII - 8
PSP - 7
PS2 - 6
PS3 - 3

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. PSP   -   120,964 |   129,986 | 1,229,780 |  8,831,374
2. NDS   -    55,190 |    58,916 | 1,105,338 | 22,278,389
3. WII   -    44,618 |    48,785 | 1,100,061 |  5,716,221
4. PS3   -    11,303 |    11,206 |   357,893 |  1,999,569
5. PS2   -    10,423 |    10,296 |   177,519 | 21,104,556
6. 360   -     1,452 |     1,547 |    48,498 |    555,839

s_20080331.png

Where's that heaven / hell image I saw. Would be perfect for the PSP and PS3? :lol

Those are some truly meaty PSP numbers though. Impressive.

Sharp

Looking at these Japan numbers, and especially the top combined sales, after reading the American sales thread, makes me realize how much smaller the Japanese game market is. I mean, it's disproportionately big, but it's interesting to note how much stock we put on Japanese sales when even the lowest-selling game in the PAL+NA top 100 list sold 460k.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sharp said:
I mean, it's disproportionately big, but it's interesting to note how much stock we put on Japanese sales when even the lowest-selling game in the PAL+NA top 100 list sold 460k.
100 games in the Europe and North America sold over 460k in ONE WEEK?

Really?

Tron 2.0 said:
This new one just wasn't very good. At all. Even the original being released on PS2 bombed hard. The nostalgia factor wasn't as big as Sega was hoping apparently.
Okay, I've seen this enough times that it's bothering me now, so I'm making a new little side-project for my remaining days on GAF.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is NOT a bad game. It is NOT a shitty game. It's NOT a AAA-great game, but it is quite good. I would say overall it's only slightly worse than the original, and once you've finished the game and can play only the stages you want, it becomes *equal* to the original.

Go check out the official thread here on GAF. The majority of people liked the game. There were only a few that didn't, and one of them is notable for hating everything except the most AAA of the AAA. The people that played NiGHTS: JoD by and large had a very good time with it.

It is a shining little third party jewel in a river of shit on the Wii. There are a lot of obvious reasons why it bombed, but I think NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams could have been the best possible NiGHTS game ever, wildly exceeding the original, and it wouldn't have changed the sales numbers much.

I'm just tired of seeing people crap on the game. I get the strong impression most of the people bagging on it these days on GAF haven't played it. Therefore, I hereby dedicate myself to kissing hands and shaking babies on NiGHTS: JoD's behalf until my inevitable termination.

Sharp

MetatronM said:
100 games in the Europe and North America sold over 460k in ONE WEEK?

Really?
Famitsu releases overall charts too, you know, which is what I was basing my observation off. I'm not, as they say, a fucking moron. The sales volume is way lower.

Ashhong

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, I've seen this enough times that it's bothering me now, so I'm making a new little side-project for my remaining days on GAF.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is NOT a bad game. It is NOT a shitty game. It's NOT a AAA-great game, but it is quite good. I would say overall it's only slightly worse than the original, and once you've finished the game and can play only the stages you want, it becomes *equal* to the original.

Go check out the official thread here on GAF. The majority of people liked the game. There were only a few that didn't, and one of them is notable for hating everything except the most AAA of the AAA. The people that played NiGHTS: JoD by and large had a very good time with it.

It is a shining little third party jewel in a river of shit on the Wii. There are a lot of obvious reasons why it bombed, but I think NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams could have been the best possible NiGHTS game ever, wildly exceeding the original, and it wouldn't have changed the sales numbers much.

I'm just tired of seeing people crap on the game. I get the strong impression most of the people bagging on it these days on GAF haven't played it. Therefore, I hereby dedicate myself to kissing hands and shaking babies on NiGHTS: JoD's behalf until my inevitable termination.

Segata Sanshiro
Heart of SEGA!
(Today, 06:30 PM)
Reply | Quote

Innotech

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

THIS CANNOT BE SAID ENOUGH AND SHOULD BE REPEATED IN THE FUTURE

Jammy

Banned
Fredescu said:
Wow, go PSP.

Question: Will the PSP ever do similar things in the west? What software could do it?

No. PSP is dead software-wise in the U.S. and Europe. Although, it does very respectably in hardware sales, at least in NPDs. It was too for a while in Japan, and I only see Monster Hunter Portables bucking that trend.

Top Bottom