• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

kassatsu

Banned
Novid said:
Well Capcom...the next step for Monster Hunter is Anime.
2u4n1c5.jpg

It has a manga ;p
Fredescu said:
woahpsp.jpg

Someone should animate it to switch between the yellow jacket guy and the O face guy.
OHHH.gif

got lazy

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
oh mario kart. when you see these charts coming up, it's almost like there's a pattern. i'm saying that you could see sales bumps and almost predict when they'll be making major releases.

ccbfan

Why are people buying MHP2?

I mean MHP2G is basically MHP2+Expansion.

Are there shortages or something and people are settling for MHP2 or may a huge price collapse for MHP2 since MHP2G is released.

Also PSP hardware is pretty amazing. I could understand a bump for the first week for MHP2G but its still this high for the 2nd week?

Would be absolutely insane if MHPG 3rd week > MK:WII and PSP > WII next week.

Busaiku

Novid said:
Well Capcom...the next step for Monster Hunter is Anime.
Already has a manga.

EDIT: Didn't catch kassatsu's response since it was on this page.
In any case, the manga's kinda bad.

lopaz

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, I've seen this enough times that it's bothering me now, so I'm making a new little side-project for my remaining days on GAF.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is NOT a bad game. It is NOT a shitty game. It's NOT a AAA-great game, but it is quite good. I would say overall it's only slightly worse than the original, and once you've finished the game and can play only the stages you want, it becomes *equal* to the original.

Go check out the official thread here on GAF. The majority of people liked the game. There were only a few that didn't, and one of them is notable for hating everything except the most AAA of the AAA. The people that played NiGHTS: JoD by and large had a very good time with it.

It is a shining little third party jewel in a river of shit on the Wii. There are a lot of obvious reasons why it bombed, but I think NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams could have been the best possible NiGHTS game ever, wildly exceeding the original, and it wouldn't have changed the sales numbers much.

I'm just tired of seeing people crap on the game. I get the strong impression most of the people bagging on it these days on GAF haven't played it. Therefore, I hereby dedicate myself to kissing hands and shaking babies on NiGHTS: JoD's behalf until my inevitable termination.

I think the fact that people took to mutilating their nunchucks to make the game work better says a lot

Innotech

Banned
lopaz said:
I think the fact that people took to mutilating their nunchucks to make the game work better says a lot
No that doesnt say alot. The notches on the nunchuk werent designed for smooth circular movement in mind. Thats not Segas fault that is a hardware design. There is a nice third party classic controller Im looking to pick up that has circular analogs. Hopefully it will help me actually be good at the game. although it certainly didnt help me much with NID either :lol In any case, the actual control design in the game is great and almost exactly equal to the original in terms of range of motion. There are no "control issues" in NiGHTS JOD unless you are talking about the IR function, which is definitely broken.

lopaz

Banned
Innotech said:
No that doesnt say alot. The notches on the nunchuk werent designed for smooth circular movement in mind. Thats not Segas fault that is a hardware design. There is a nice third party classic controller Im looking to pick up that has circular analogs. Hopefully it will help me actually be good at the game. although it certainly didnt help me much with NID either :lol In any case, the actual control design in the game is great and almost exactly equal to the original in terms of range of motion. There are no "control issues" in NiGHTS JOD unless you are talking about the IR function, which is definitely broken.

I'll admit I only watched videos, but it seemed that in JoD the loops were a bit, robotic shall we say? Like, the original seemed to mimic the diving and swooping of real flying a bit more, whereas in JoD it would just be a constant speed around a circle, know what I mean? Is that an incorrect assessment?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I move to hereby rename the PSP to the Capcom Portable Station 4. AKA the CPS4. (+ cool points if you understand this)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-71.jpg

mc-weekly-line-71.jpg

Things only I may find interesting

[ ] If you can, please try and watch the weekly pie as the next 16 weeks pass. Outside of the next couple weeks for the Wii, notice how the Weekly %s stay shockingly close to the previous week. I am suggesting two things here: a) that sales remain proportional and can eventually help each other with big releases, and b) don't expect 360 or PS3 sales to change much over the summer.

[ ] If you compare February-April of 2007 to 2008 for the Wii, you should notice one major thing: a lot less fluctuation. Why? Supply. Availability (or lack of) combined with holding units back might explain my next point, but watch to see if Nintendo pushes out more units than usual over the next several weeks.

[ ] Look at late April and early May of last year for the Wii. Pretty big isn't it?

[ ] The Wii has been outselling the PS3 by at least 4.32x for 7 of the last 9 weeks. That's between 70%-80% weekly market share for the past couple months.

Novid

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I move to hereby rename the PSP to the Capcom Portable Station 4. AKA the CPS4. (+ cool points if you understand this)

:lol :lol :lol :lol

When A Mega Man Series starts making inroads on PSP then its granted.

GhostSeed

sp0rsk said:

I get it, but I would kill for console ports of all of Capcom's arcade series that were called, C.A.P. aka: Capcom Arcade Perfection.

samratty

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, I've seen this enough times that it's bothering me now, so I'm making a new little side-project for my remaining days on GAF.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is NOT a bad game. It is NOT a shitty game. It's NOT a AAA-great game, but it is quite good. I would say overall it's only slightly worse than the original, and once you've finished the game and can play only the stages you want, it becomes *equal* to the original.

Go check out the official thread here on GAF. The majority of people liked the game. There were only a few that didn't, and one of them is notable for hating everything except the most AAA of the AAA. The people that played NiGHTS: JoD by and large had a very good time with it.

It is a shining little third party jewel in a river of shit on the Wii. There are a lot of obvious reasons why it bombed, but I think NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams could have been the best possible NiGHTS game ever, wildly exceeding the original, and it wouldn't have changed the sales numbers much.

I'm just tired of seeing people crap on the game. I get the strong impression most of the people bagging on it these days on GAF haven't played it. Therefore, I hereby dedicate myself to kissing hands and shaking babies on NiGHTS: JoD's behalf until my inevitable termination.
I consider it the worst game in my Wii collection, aside from Wiiplay I suppose.
It's definitely not shitty tho, but you can't deny that it's full of annoying flaws and stupid technical issues (framerate, the wiimote controls).
Getting past those issues so you can get to pure NiGHTs gameplay is a big as hassle for me, as I have a lot of games and very little time, which is why I dislike it. Superfluos shit is lame. I should probably download a save file, but I don't have SD card atm.

The NiGHTs gameplay and the courses are great, and the graphics/art for them are generally really good (if inconsistant at times), but the framerate issues are annoying as hell.

I don't wanna derail the thread tho, so I'll leave it at that.

No that doesnt say alot. The notches on the nunchuk werent designed for smooth circular movement in mind. Thats not Segas fault that is a hardware design.
Whilst that's true and you can forgive Sega for that, if they'd actually got the IR controls to work well it would have never been an issue.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Maybe games like ToS:KoR, Shiren 3, Fatal Frame will help that a bit.

That's my next "wait for" game on the Wii as far as getting core gamers on-board. The GCN version sold ~310K and the PS2 version sold just under 400K. Therefore, there probably are some PS2 core gamers who may bite on a Wii-exclusive sequel/spin-off and jump on-board. It didn't happen with RE4, but that was during the "very bad" time for core games on the Wii. I think now would just qualify as "bad." :lol

Plus RPGs seem to have some of the core-est followings in the Japanese market.

Defuser said:
Wow,where did that come from?

The same place DMC3:SE (BEST) came from when DMC4 released?

Sharp said:
Looking at these Japan numbers, and especially the top combined sales, after reading the American sales thread, makes me realize how much smaller the Japanese game market is. I mean, it's disproportionately big, but it's interesting to note how much stock we put on Japanese sales when even the lowest-selling game in the PAL+NA top 100 list sold 460k.

Sharp said:
Famitsu releases overall charts too, you know, which is what I was basing my observation off. I'm not, as they say, a ****ing moron. The sales volume is way lower.

Multi-platform releases were combined in the U.S.+WE thread. That makes a smidgen of a difference, I'd think. ;) :p

P.S. Would anyone else not be surprised if Monster Hunter Portable 2 G did not reach 2 million by the mid-year 2008 Famitsu Top 100?

Innotech

Banned
lopaz said:
I'll admit I only watched videos, but it seemed that in JoD the loops were a bit, robotic shall we say? Like, the original seemed to mimic the diving and swooping of real flying a bit more, whereas in JoD it would just be a constant speed around a circle, know what I mean? Is that an incorrect assessment?
yes. It controls pretty much exactly the same. Only the notches on the nunchuk get in the way. Played with a perfectly circular analog it is identical.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
That's my next "wait for" game on the Wii as far as getting core gamers on-board. The GCN version sold ~310K and the PS2 version sold just under 400K. Therefore, there probably are some PS2 core gamers who may bite on a Wii-exclusive sequel/spin-off and jump on-board. It didn't happen with RE4, but that was during the "very bad" time for core games on the Wii. I think now would just qualify as "bad." :lol

Agreed. I think it will do well- the core Nintendo crowd is aware of it and some previous PS2 owners might be interested. If it tanks, bad bad sign. On another note, that whole month should be interesting- Shiren 3, then Mario Baseball, then ToS, then Disaster.

Also agree on your last line- things still aren't good for Wii 3rd parties, but they're a bit better than they were around the holidays.

Sharp

donny2112 said:

Plus RPGs seem to have some of the core-est followings in the Japanese market.

The same place DMC3:SE (BEST) came from when DMC4 released?

Multi-platform releases were combined in the U.S.+WE thread. That makes a smidgen of a difference, I'd think. ;) :p

P.S. Would anyone else not be surprised if Monster Hunter Portable 2 G did not reach 2 million by the mid-year 2008 Famitsu Top 100?
Do you really? In Japan the whole multiplatform thing isn't nearly as big as in the US. If games have a PS2 and a Wii SKU the PS2 SKU obliterates the Wii SKU in most cases. And it still wouldn't improve the bottom that much, if any.

donny2112

Sharp said:
Do you really? In Japan the whole multiplatform thing isn't nearly as big as in the US. If games have a PS2 and a Wii SKU the PS2 SKU obliterates the Wii SKU in most cases. And it still wouldn't improve the bottom that much, if any.

I mean go the other way. Separate all of the multi-platform stuff in the U.S.+WE thread. Obviously two major regions would be > one major region still, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as large of a difference.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-71.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-71.jpg

Gains & Losses This Week
360: - 0.03
PS3: - 0.03
Wii: + 0.06

At this week's rate
[ ] 360 will finally drop to that elusive 6% market share in November.
[ ] PS3 will drop below 24% before the end of May.
[ ] Wii won't hit 70% until August.

Innotech

Banned
schuelma said:
Agreed. I think it will do well- the core Nintendo crowd is aware of it and some previous PS2 owners might be interested. If it tanks, bad bad sign. On another note, that whole month should be interesting- Shiren 3, then Mario Baseball, then ToS, then Disaster.

Also agree on your last line- things still aren't good for Wii 3rd parties, but they're a bit better than they were around the holidays.
TOS:KOR is a good addition to the library, but at this point Im beyond caring if any of the halfhearted spinoff games sell or not. For those spinoffs to even exist indicates a lack of trust in the platform and that wont be remedied if the title sells or not (look at RE:UC sales failing to get RE5 or anything similar). the only game Im waiting to see how it performs is MH3. The only truly large scale premier effort on the Wii by third parties so far in Japan. If THAT tanks, then you could say third party is a failure on the system. But when the other consoles are getting the mainline games (which tank in Japan too recently) and the wii is expected to move huge amounts of crappy spinoffs, then it isnt even a fair comparison. It never was a fair comparison to begin with.

Sharp

donny2112 said:
I mean go the other way. Separate all of the multi-platform stuff in the U.S.+WE thread. Obviously two major regions would be > one major region still, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as large of a difference.
What would it prove? Sales volume is still obscenely high in both regions, moreso than in Japan. I think based on those sales that at the very least NA alone is bigger than Japan alone, and I think the top 100 would reflect that.

schuelma

Innotech said:
TOS:KOR is a good addition to the library, but at this point Im beyond caring if any of the halfhearted spinoff games sell or not. For those spinoffs to even exist indicates a lack of trust in the platform and that wont be remedied if the title sells or not (look at RE:UC sales failing to get RE5 or anything similar). the only game Im waiting to see how it performs is MH3. The only truly large scale premier effort on the Wii by third parties so far in Japan. If THAT tanks, then you could say third party is a failure on the system. But when the other consoles are getting the mainline games (which tank in Japan too recently) and the wii is expected to move huge amounts of crappy spinoffs, then it isnt even a fair comparison. It never was a fair comparison to begin with.

Ok, but strictly from a sales perspective, ToS:KoR should sell. If Wii owners ever hope to get those mainline games, high profile spin offs can't bomb.

Innotech

Banned
schuelma said:
Ok, but strictly from a sales perspective, ToS:KoR should sell. If Wii owners ever hope to get those mainline games, high profile spin offs can't bomb.
We arent ever going to. Not even if the spinoffs sell a million (which some have). dont torture yourself with hoping for this.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
schuelma said:

Oh please. Spinoffs will always sell like spinoffs. Expecting them to do otherwise is false hope and expecting the audience to treat the actors better than the performance.

Spinoffs don't deserve sales and every bomb on the Wii proves this. Hoping this will change or that somehow if enough Wii gamers buy enough bullshit spinoffs that they'll someday get a mainline sequel (like FF, DQ, SC, etc) is just sad.

schuelma

Innotech said:
We arent ever going to. Not even if the spinoffs sell a million (which some have). dont torture yourself with hoping for this.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't see the 360/PS3 as a really viable alternative for Japanese-centric games, so I think eventually Wii will get its fair share.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
schuelma said:
Maybe, maybe not. I don't see the 360/PS3 as a really viable alternative for Japanese-centric games, so I think eventually Wii will get its fair share.

This is much different than saying that spinoff sales will eventually engender a mainline sequel. You're also hugely discounting American sales and really overestimating Japanese audience influence.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
PSP rocking the joint.

I only hope for my sake that developers don't drop it off and still try and invest some amount of software into it. High-res 2D RPGs would be excellent please!

schuelma

PantherLotus said:
Oh please. Spinoffs will always sell like spinoffs. Expecting them to do otherwise is false hope and expecting the audience to treat the actors better than the performance.

Don't put words into my mouth. I'm expecting it to sell like a spin off, but on the higher end. In short, I expect it to meet realistic expectations. Not a million, but if it can't reach 200-300K that is a serious problem. I don't think that is asking much, to be honest.

Innotech

Banned
schuelma said:
Don't put words into my mouth. I'm expecting it to sell like a spin off, but one the higher end. In short, I expect it to meet realistic expectations. Not a million, but if it can't reach 200-300K that is a serious problem. I don't think that is asking much, to be honest.
2-300k would be respectable, but all it will do is finance Vesperia. Which is bullshit really, but thats how it works.

schuelma

Innotech said:
2-300k would be respectable, but all it will do is finance Vesperia. Which is bullshit really, but thats how it works.

Or maybe it will fund Fragile, a very cool looking RPG from Namco with some good teams behind it.

Geez you guys are so bitter

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-LTD-71.jpg

mc-wii-lead-71.jpg

At this week's rate
[ ] The 360 will NEVER hit one million units. ;)
[ ] The PS3 will two million units next week.
[ ] The Wii will six million before the end of May (6-7 weeks).

Tron 2.0

Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm glad you liked it.

I thought it was mediocre.

Top Bottom