• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
schuelma said:
Don't put words into my mouth. I'm expecting it to sell like a spin off, but on the higher end. In short, I expect it to meet realistic expectations. Not a million, but if it can't reach 200-300K that is a serious problem. I don't think that is asking much, to be honest.

I was commenting more on your assertion that buying spinoffs has anything to do with getting main line sequels. As you put it, "If Wii owners ever hope to get those mainline games, high profile spin offs can't bomb." That's a pretty clear statement that I reject in every sense. Why?

1. Wii owners should stop expecting mainline sequels to major franchises.
2. Buying spinoffs will not make main line sequels even remotely more likely.
3. I reject the idea that somehow the process should go spinoff -> success -> main line sequel, when in every other instance on every other console in history it has been the other way around. It's just insulting to think otherwise.

itxaka

Defeatist
PantherLotus said:
http://images.redial.net/mc-LTD-71.jpg[/]

[IMG]http://images.redial.net/mc-wii-lead-71.jpg[/]

[B][U]At this week's rate[/U][/B]
[ ] The 360 will NEVER hit one million units. ;)
[/QUOTE]

:lol

And thanks for the charts. Looks like the wii got a perfect diagonal line in the "lead over ps3" graph.

chris0701

PantherLotus said:
[/IMG]

At this week's rate
[ ] The 360 will NEVER hit one million units. ;)
[ ] The PS3 will two million units next week.
[ ] The Wii will six million before the end of May (6-7 weeks).

And Wii will lead over PS3 over 4M mark at MGS4 launch.

donny2112

Sharp said:
What would it prove?

That a comparison to a U.S.+WE Top 100 combined platform list is a bad way to make a comparison for Japanese sales.

Sharp said:
I mean, it's disproportionately big, but it's interesting to note how much stock we put on Japanese sales when even the lowest-selling game in the PAL+NA top 100 list sold 460k.

That statement.

PantherLotus said:
1. Wii owners should stop expecting mainline sequels to major franchises.

:lol

Other than the ones they've already gotten, right? ;)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Projected out two weeks for predictive estimating purposes:

mc-extremelyclose-71.jpg

mc-extremelyclose-YOY-71.jpg

IS ANYBODY SEEING A PATTERN HERE?

Next Week
[ ] 360: 1500
[ ] PS3: 11,500
[ ] Wii: 65,000

(Wii momentum = 45k) + (Wii last year = 75k) + (Mario Kart)

donny2112

Like the Nintendo-published ones and the annual ones.

And since when was it a good idea for the dominant platform in total software and hardware to not expect mainline franchises to appear on the platform? :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
Like the Nintendo-published ones and the annual ones.

So you're just trying to be cute. I thought you were serious, but you just busted out PL's ridiculous "Nintendo really IS a 3rd party" on me, didn't you?

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
you just busted out PL's ridiculous "Nintendo really IS a 3rd party" on me, didn't you?

No. I busted out "Nintendo's franchises are major" on you. :D The annual ones are probably considered major by the ones who usually pick them up, too.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
:lol fair enough, but we both know what I meant. ;)

donny2112 said:
And since when was it a good idea for the dominant platform in total software and hardware to not expect mainline franchises to appear on the platform? :p

Since huge Japanese franchises (FF/DQ/MGS) started selling bajillions in the US, a place where the Wii is not the dominant platform in either total hardware or total software (360+ PS3 > Wii). This takes into consideration that I believe that two of those above will be appearing on both next gen consoles. Now, if they don't put them on both, then Japanese publishers are just fucking stupid or are getting paid a ridiculous amounts of moneyhats to keep them exclusive.

PantherLotus said:
Since huge Japanese franchises (FF/DQ/MGS) started selling bajillions in the US, a place where the Wii is not the dominant platform in either total hardware or total software (360+ PS3 > Wii). This takes into consideration that I believe that two of those above will be appearing on both next gen consoles. Now, if they don't put them on both, then Japanese publishers are just fucking stupid or are getting paid a ridiculous amounts of moneyhats to keep them exclusive.

FF and MGS sell well (Bajillions, though?), but DQ? DQ8 is the only real evidence we have for that, right (outside of some DS side games)?

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
Since huge Japanese franchises (FF/DQ/MGS) started selling bajillions in the US, a place where the Wii is not the dominant platform in either total hardware or total software (360+ PS3 > Wii).

1) MGS is not a huge Japanese franchise.
2) DQ has never sold "bajillions" in the U.S.
3) Wii software > 360 software >>> PS3 software in the U.S. for 2008, so far.
4) Wii software > 360 software at the same point in its lifetime in the U.S.
5) PS3 and 360 share a lot of owners and not all PS3 owners are in it for the PS3 games.
6) Having to combine the systems to make them greater than Wii just shows how dominant Wii is. :lol

PantherLotus said:
:lol fair enough, but we both know what I meant. ;)

But the Wii will be #1 in America later this year. And will likely top 360 + PS3 sales combined worldwide shortly thereafter.

When the Wii tops the 360 and PS3 worldwide combined, then there has to be some large 3rd party projects appearing on the platform.

Fredescu

donny2112 said:
6) Having to combine the systems to make them greater than Wii just shows how dominant Wii is. :lol
Do you disagree that it means PS3+360 will get the lions share of big budget western (or western targeted) third party support though? Because that's the point of combining the two, and it's a fair point imo.

Jiggy

goat said:
Wait a sec, so ToS:KoR is now considered a spin-off? I thought it was a full sequel to my favorite RPG ever.
Between the point-and-click world map, only having two permanent human party members (with the old ToS cast making "guest" appearances, according to an NP interview), Team Symphonia working on Vesperia for 360, and most of the people who worked on ToS not being involved with this project, yes, it's a spinoff.

With that said, a day one purchase for me, (probably) canonical storyline-wise since it (definitely) has the original scenario writer working on it, and my most wanted Wii game yet to come this year. Still a spinoff, though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice charts as always!

I wonder if the only systems of the main 6 (PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, NDS, 360) which have a good chance of outselling their 2007 sales are the Sony ones?

Not really sure about the PS2, but just on the fact that the PS3 can't possibly continue having a worse year than 2007, the PS3 should end up doing better than 2007.

The PSP seems to be gaining a lot of momentum that all the recent releases have keep it around NDS levels and above, so that seems like a no-brainer.

The Wii? I don't know, it's still ahead of 2007, but continuing to decline slowly now. Although, like Panther projects, next week will no doubt see a decent increase. Still, once it falls behind 2007, which will happen next week I guess, I see it having a hard time keeping up.

The DS seems to be approaching more normal levels, still selling great, but Nintendo has said they're moving focus to the Wii, and even with DQ and some others coming out on the DS, I'm not convinced they'll do better this year, but I could be entirely wrong.

The 360, does that have anything to look forward to at all this year? I guess there's a few things like that Idol Master game that came out a few weeks ago, but I'm not expecting it to have a better 2008.

So I see Sony's 3 systems potentially doing better this year (some simply by default), and Nintendo's & MS's doing worse. Not exactly an enlightening post, but hey, I want to say what I'm seeing.

donny2112

Fredescu said:
Do you disagree that it means PS3+360 will get the lions share of big budget western (or western targeted) third party support though?

I disagree with the notion that Wii owners shouldn't expect mainline sequels to big franchises. If third-parties want to put games with a budget so big that if they flop it seriously impacts the company's ability to remain financially stable on the systems with the lesser userbases, that's their concern.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You guys have deluded yourselves into thinking things will change. To this day, Square Enix and Konami are pouring millions into development for games that will never, ever come to the Wii. Namco is pretending the Wii doesn't exist, and when it does its with a big middle finger. Capcom hates you. KOEI won't cut it. SEGA is as close as it gets, and most of their shit is multi platform.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this will not change. Holding up random off-shoots, low-selling hardcore franchises like Fatal Frame or Parappa's Marching Band, and horrendous side projects like Soul Calibur Legends should really be telling you something. These companies don't care about you, they don't care about the hard core audience on the Wii because they correctly assume that a vast majority of those same people own a next gen console.

This is sad. If you guys can't see what will never happen because sales have blinded you from reality, then I don't have a leg to stand on. The Wii SHOULD get a bunch of big name titles but it won't. It will get some, and some of them will be greatness. But it will never be the PS2 in terms of complete and utter domination with exclusive titles, even though its outselling it. Nintendo painted itself into a corner with its hardware (making downgraded ports impossible), and MS forced Sony to compete on its terms and ended up making a next-gen behemoth of a dual-console. Nintendo is left with whatever it and other quirky 3rd-party pubs can come up with.

Sorry kids. :(

Delio

That is really sad that third parties are rather happy pouring millions into the other two and hoping they get some if most of that back. I suppose seeing there projects with the most power is more important in the long run as i told my friends one day Nintendo will be in the lead but it will be like the Gamecube all over again :/

Saitou

Banned
PantherLotus said:
You guys have deluded yourselves into thinking things will change. To this day, Square Enix and Konami are pouring millions into development for games that will never, ever come to the Wii. Namco is pretending the Wii doesn't exist, and when it does its with a big middle finger. Capcom hates you. KOEI won't cut it. SEGA is as close as it gets, and most of their shit is multi platform.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this will not change. Holding up random off-shoots, low-selling hardcore franchises like Fatal Frame or Parappa's Marching Band, and horrendous side projects like Soul Calibur Legends should really be telling you something. These companies don't care about you, they don't care about the hard core audience on the Wii because they correctly assume that a vast majority of those same people own a next gen console.

This is sad. If you guys can't see what will never happen because sales have blinded you from reality, then I don't have a leg to stand on. The Wii SHOULD get a bunch of big name titles but it won't. It will get some, and some of them will be greatness. But it will never be the PS2 in terms of complete and utter domination with exclusive titles, even though its outselling it. Nintendo painted itself into a corner with its hardware (making downgraded ports impossible), and MS forced Sony to compete on its terms and ended up making a next-gen behemoth of a dual-console. Nintendo is left with whatever it and other quirky 3rd-party pubs can come up with.

But it is those small 3rd parties that will become great on the Wii, just like small 3rd aprties became great on the PS1.

It's a paradigm shift, and it is painful, and it is not short.

And Nintendo shall prevail.

all hail the hypnotoad

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's a self fulfilling prophecy really. I expect Wii2 vs. PS4/720 to be more like the last generation. Remember that PS1/N64 was much closer, which is what I think this generation will end up looking like if we assume that the 360 and PS3 are the N64.

Pachael

Just as sad is people saying that the difference between the Wii and PS3/360 will decrease, amirite

Heck I'll throw it in. All hail Nintendo. All hail Nintendo.

Sharp

PantherLotus said:

PL, I know you're very set on this notion of yours, and in some respects it's true, but a lot of Japanese franchises aren't selling well anywhere at this point. There's no practical reason to put them on the 360/PS3 over the Wii. I don't think the Wii will be a PS2 in terms of software library, but I don't really think any console has been. I also think that your preaching is getting a bit irritating, since you pretty much say the same thing over and over again at this point. If Wii owners really want those franchises, they can always wait until the PS3 or 360 drops in price to an acceptable level. There's nothing stopping them!

MisterHero

PantherLotus said:

That's okay, it only ruins my hope with 3rd-parties. That's their loss.

The 10-million-strong Nintendo fanboy phalanx is not to be trifled with!

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
To this day, Square Enix and Konami are pouring millions into development for games that will never, ever come to the Wii. Namco is pretending the Wii doesn't exist, and when it does its with a big middle finger. Capcom hates you. KOEI won't cut it. SEGA is as close as it gets, and most of their **** is multi platform.

Kurosaki Ichigo has been going on about Koei being in serious trouble this generation due in freaking huge part to not being able to appeal to the Wii's audience while their PS2 mainstays are declining on PS2 and not exactly doing stellar on the new systems.

Stumpokapow has been going on how Konami is in serious trouble due to not being able to gain a solid foothold on the DS.

cvxfreak has been trying to tell us that Capcom is making smart decisions on the Wii. (I'm at least hopeful that he's right with his future support expectations.)

For the bolded part, as I stated above, companies pouring millions into games on the lesser selling consoles is not my concern.

And no matter how much Western publishers may sit in the sandbox with their fingers in their ears going "la, la, la, la, I can't hear you!", eventually they'll be pressured enough to at least port games to the Wii.

Monster Hunter 3 was the start, not the finish.

ccbfan

Saitou said:
But it is those small 3rd parties that will become great on the Wii, just like small 3rd aprties became great on the PS1.

It's a paradigm shift, and it is painful, and it is not short.

And Nintendo shall prevail.

all hail the hypnotoad

The problem is that small third party games does worse on the Wii then it does on the freakin 360 in Japan. Thats pretty sad.

Also for those people saying selling side games and ports doesn't mean much. Well you guys do know that the highest selling third party game in Japan so far this gen is a side game/port. And its expansion is about to beat it soon.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
goat said:
Wait a sec, so ToS:KoR is now considered a spin-off? I thought it was a full sequel to my favorite RPG ever.

It's has factors of both a spin-off and a sequel. It started off as a spin-off, and Wii's sales (according to the interview with NP) convinced them to up it to a sequel-level effort. But a majority of the developers of the original ToS were already working on ToV, so a majority of the people working on ToS:DotNW are new to the series. Thankfully, DotNW still has the original's scenario createator and a few other good members of the original team working on it. I'm not expecting a 5-star jrpg, but if DotNW tries to follow more like Syphonia while Vesperia follors the Abyss style, my preference makes it an easy choice even though all 3 were created by the same team.
I really enjoyed Symphonia, but found Abyss to be very mudane, a so-so experience in the end.

Tenbatsu

At least Namco is making Sky Crawlers, thats still not too bad. Also Konami's PES2008 Wii is the best soccer game to date too.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
PantherLotus said:

So, basically what your saying is major Japanese third parties can look forward to ever dwindling revenues from putting their heavy hitters on the PS3 & 360. Because that's basically what's happening.

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
It's a self fulfilling prophecy really. I expect Wii2 vs. PS4/720 to be more like the last generation. Remember that PS1/N64 was much closer, which is what I think this generation will end up looking like if we assume that the 360 and PS3 are the N64.

:lol :lol

come on panther, you articulate your thought very well but the bolded part is just insane. You cannot put 2 different competing consoles in the same bag, doesn't matter if they are both HD and both "the same".

Even if you did, this generation is supposed to last at least 5 more years. The Wii will beat them both, combined handily.

Imagine all the money the companies are leaving in the fucking table....

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
goat said:
It depends on who you ask. I think much of this thought stems from people thinking Namco wasn't putting any effort into it from when it was first announced. The first screenshots looked really bad so people assumed the worst. Nacmo's stance is that the game originated as a spin-off but has since expanded into more than that.

The two fundamental changes to the game is the party system and the over-world map. I can't believe anyone cares about the latter ... it was the most disjointed, tedious aspect of the first game. The former should really be considered an expansion of the previous system. Instead of having your party grow as the story progresses, characters come and go with only the two main characters being constant... the rest of the party is filled out with monsters that you fight and tame. The gameplay is almost unchanged. Battles are fought the same as before, except the monsters are always set to the semi-auto style. Any human character is fully playable.

Story-wise, this game is ToS2. Namco states this outright. The is no reason for any to think thet they are skimping in this regard. The game also features many of the smaller details known to the series; skits, affection and the Wonder Chef return, although tailored to the new party system.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I appreciate all the responses but you're assuming that I believe that Japanese 3rd-party publishers are savvy business people that can put money in front of history. I agree with everyone on why the Wii SHOULD get sequels, but I'm trying to point out why the won't.

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across without repeating myself over and over again like Sharp pointed out.

donny2112

Famitsu Mar 24-30

1. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 823265 / NEW
2. NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 100719 / 343990
3. NDS Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 48354 / NEW
4. WII Wii Fit 42811 / 1762193
5. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 33288 / 1554852
6. PSP Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors 33047 / NEW
7. PS2 Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors 30052 / NEW
8. WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! 22755 / 89545
9. NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi 22477 / 68923
10. NDS Mario Kart DS 15820 / 2917923
11. NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land 15390 / 44025
12. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 14944 / 123766
13. PSP Echochrome 14214 / 39188
14. PS2 Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus 14186 / NEW
15. WII Wii Sports 13554 / 2840389
16. PS2 Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Oro de: Oshie Nikki 12328 / NEW
17. PS3 Armored Core: For Answer 11698 / 62121
18. WII Wii Play 10740 / 2261112
19. NDS Lux-Pain 10176 / NEW
20. NDS Time Hollow 9956 / 35783
21. PS2 Gundam Musou Special 9761 / 258171
22. PSP Tales of Rebirth 9615 / 54503
23. NDS Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Bongole Shiki Taisen Battle Sugoroku 9249 / NEW
24. PS3 Yakuza 3: Kenzan! 8950 / 248117
25. NDS Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 8752 / 280715
26. NDS Mario Party DS 8624 / 1659315
27. PS2 Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection 8399 / NEW
28. NDS Vitamin X Evolution 7875 / NEW
29. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 7838 / 463925
30. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 7692 / 1685009

*. NDS Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends 7564 / 92343
*. 360 Dark Sector 7100 / NEW
*. NDS Dramatic Dungeon: Sakura Taisen - Kimi Arugatame 6842 / 42449
*. WII General Knowledge Training TV 6033 / 37957
*. NDS Tetsudou Seminar: JR-Hen 5000 / NEW
*. PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Shin Yoshimune 4600 / 36056
*. PSP Umihara Kawase Portable 4000 / NEW
*. 360 Raiden Fighters Aces 3800 / NEW
*. PS2 Elminage: Yami no Fujo to Kamigami no Yubiwa 3500 / NEW
*. PS2 Tomb Raider: Anniversary 3100 / NEW
*. PS2 Neo Angelique Full Voice 3000 / NEW
*. PSP Tomb Raider: Anniversary 2700 / NEW
*. 360 Tomb Raider: Anniversary 2400 / NEW
*. PS3 Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga 1500 / NEW
*. WII Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga 1300 / NEW
*. WII Tomb Raider: Anniversary 1300 / NEW
*. PSP Dead Head Fred 860 / NEW
*. PS2 Nobunaga no Yabou Online: Souha no Shou 580 / NEW

Misc. LTD Updates
360 The Idolm@ster: Live for You! - 63,661
NDS Akagawa Jirou Mystery: Yasoukyoku - 32,572
NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World - 4,625,236
NDS Chou-Gekijou-Ban Keroro Gunsou 3: Tenkuu Daibouken de Arimasu! - 32,909
NDS Doraemon: Nobita to Midori no Kyojinden DS - 37,223
NDS Dragon Quest IV - 1,188,289
NDS Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail - 130,078
NDS Final Fantasy IV - 598,336
NDS Hayate no Gotoku! Ojousama Produce Daisakusen Boku Iro ni Somare! Oyashiki-Hen/Gakkou-Hen - 27,075
NDS Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary - 212,896
NDS My Housekeeping Diary - 463,925
NDS New Super Mario Bros. - 5,129,486
NDS Observation Training - 827,216
NDS Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box - 783,790
NDS Rune Factory 2 - 112,362
NDS Shugo Chara! 3-tsu no Tamagoto Koisuru Joker - 28,967
NDS Soma Bringer - 89,874
NDS Taiko Drum Master - 357,491
NDS Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season - 77,896
PS2 Suzumiya Haruhi no Tomadoi - 137,190
PS2 Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - 139,408
PS2 Winning Eleven 11: PES 2008 - 651,888
PS2 Yakuza 2 (BEST) - 153,744
PS3 Devil May Cry 4 - 293,000
PSP Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui - 162,313
PSP Musou Orochi - 112,895
PSP World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008: PES 2008 - 147,762
WII Family Ski - 100,092
WII Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - 533,754
WII Mario Party 8 - 1,205,242
WII Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 59,180
WII Super Mario Galaxy - 893,713
WII Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 - 81,791

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Feb 25-Mar 2, 2008
Mar 3-9, 2008
Mar 10-16, 2008
Mar 17-23, 2008

Fredescu

donny2112 said:
I disagree with the notion that Wii owners shouldn't expect mainline sequels to big franchises.
Oh. Well they shouldn't. Action games whose predecessors were most likely on gamepads and became more complex and more reliant on two sticks and eight buttons especially. Shooters and sim racers, well why bother when you have a proven market elsewhere. WRPGs will always have a PC variant, so it makes sense to go PC+360+maybe PS3. JRPGs, sure, but they don't sell well in the west. Sports, sure, but they tend to be multiplatorm anyway.

I think Wii will see a healthy amount of new IPs, and some of them might even be good, but the whole system was designed around tipping game design on it's head. So knowing that, why would you expect sequels to popular last gen games? It just seems inherent to the Wii philosophy to do things differently than before, and it's userbase expects that. It's counterintuitive to expect big third party sequels.

donny2112 said:
If third-parties want to put games with a budget so big that if they flop it seriously impacts the company's ability to remain financially stable on the systems with the lesser userbases, that's their concern.
Yeah, but that's not happening. Even Kane and Lynch with all its negative stigma sold over a million. Name a title with a reasonable budget that flopped on 360+PS3 that wouldn't have on Wii.

Sharp

Fredescu said:
Oh. Well they shouldn't. Action games whose predecessors were most likely on gamepads and became more complex and more reliant on two sticks and eight buttons especially. Shooters and sim racers, well why bother when you have a proven market elsewhere. WRPGs will always have a PC variant, so it makes sense to go PC+360+maybe PS3. JRPGs, sure, but they don't sell well in the west. Sports, sure, but they tend to be multiplatorm anyway.

I think Wii will see a healthy amount of new IPs, and some of them might even be good, but the whole system was designed around tipping game design on it's head. So knowing that, why would you expect sequels to popular last gen games? It just seems inherent to the Wii philosophy to do things differently than before, and it's userbase expects that. It's counterintuitive to expect big third party sequels.

Yeah, but that's not happening. Even Kane and Lynch with all its negative stigma sold over a million. Name a title with a reasonable budget that flopped on 360+PS3 that wouldn't have on Wii.
K&L did about 600k, actually, if you look in the recent NA+PAL sales thread. They shipped a million, which means 400,000 are languishing. And K&L certainly isn't one of the flops. PGR4, anyone?

Pachael

PantherLotus said:
I appreciate all the responses but you're assuming that I believe that Japanese 3rd-party publishers are savvy business people that can put money in front of history. I agree with everyone on why the Wii SHOULD get sequels, but I'm trying to point out why the won't.

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across without repeating myself over and over again like Sharp pointed out.

Well, not everybody's Sega.

donny2112

Fredescu said:
Name a title with a reasonable budget that flopped on 360+PS3 that wouldn't have on Wii.

Why would a title that was designed for the 360 and/or PS3 be expected to sell great on Wii as is? Wouldn't they need to put some effort into making the game appropriate for the system with the controls and Mii integration (should be in every Wii game)?

As far as big budget flops on 360+PS3, Lair and Stranglehold come to mind. Lair could've actually probably done well on Wii with the motion controls and the Factor 5 factor. Just would've needed to allow Miis to ride the dragons. :D

Retrofluxed

Thanks for clearing the air around ToS2 for me. I'm very much looking forward to its release. Hell, in my mind, the changes sound pretty exciting. I'd much rather save the time by clicking on the map then walking my bored ass from one point to another. I just hope this time we get VOICED (USA anyways) skits, instead of just subbed. I also hope ToV ends up being good, thats one of the reasons I bought a 360 (as you can see, I'm becoming quite the Tales fan). I'm still trying to wrap my head around why they aren't bringing the newest DS Tales release stateside.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Fredescu said:

We're talking Japanese games here, Neil. And VF5 comes to mind. It could've have flopped on the Wii as well, but we'll never know.

Also, if Nintendo themselves are still pushing the GC and CC controllers in their games (SSBB & MK Wii) why couldn't 3rd parties with their games?

Fredescu

donny2112 said:
As far as big budget flops on 360+PS3, Lair and Stranglehold come to mind. Lair could've actually probably done well on Wii with the motion controls and the Factor 5 factor. Just would've needed to allow Miis to ride the dragons. :D
If Lair wasn't a shit game it would have sold better, regardless of platform. Stranglehold I couldn't really see going over with the Wii audience.

Vilix said:
We're talking Japanese games here, Neil.
I was talking about western or western targeted games, where the 360+PS3>Wii equation means something. In Japan, you want to put your game on a handheld before anything.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ don't forget that a major part of that theory (360+PS3>Wii) ONLY works if you put the game on both consoles. Something which SE and Konami INSIST will not be happening.

Top Bottom