• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales June 6 - June 11

apotema

This thread is very slow this week.

Nice numbers for the DS. The question is will there be another game on the DS with the same level of success of Animal Crossing, aside Pokemon and the new Brain Training?

Regards

Calidor

cvxfreak said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/2006/06/15/120,1150351936,54975,0,0.html

h-121_54977_060630hard.jpg.jpg

20060609litechart6bt.gif

-Damien- said:
no one noticed but xbox number is up 150%!!!!!!!!!!!! from 8 the week before to 20.
Not quite. Xbox went from 8 to 43, an increase of 437.5%. So 20 units is actually down 53.4%.

Week over week, the big winners are Game Boy Micro (+30.2%) and GameCube (+20.4%).

well, since these threads are the same thing every week, how about we change it up a bit.

what if Wii ended up doing better numbers than DS? how badly do you think this would cause developers to scramble?

What's the most a system has ever sold in a single year in Japan? DS's 2005 must be among the better, and it seems clear DS 2006 will pass that well before the holidays/PS3/Wii make things really interesting.

Axord

imastalker co. said:
what if Wii ended up doing better numbers than DS? how badly do you think this would cause developers to scramble?
No effect, because they know that their games don't sell on Nintendo systems. ;)

you honestly don't think that things would stay the same would you?

if Wii sold at a faster rate than DS, japanese developers would be like a bunch or 15 year olds having sex. not knowing what the **** is going on.

Amir0x

Banned
what if third party games sold on nintendo systems, imastalker

japanese devs would be like 'holy shit' and scramble and also have sex with themselves, i bet

Doogdogg

Magicpaint said:
Thanks... so 9 million is a sure banker end of this June.:)

Yeah DS average 500k each month this year and rising. If they can keep supplying a good 500k/month from this point on DS will sell another 3 million by the end of the year. Of course let's not forget the weeks of Pokemon D/P and last weeks of December, they alone can push 500k+! So thats like an extra 1.5-2 million to the calculated (average) projection of 3 million. :lol

cvxfreak

Dark Dragon said:
Yeah DS average 500k each month this year and rising. If they can keep supplying a good 500k/month from this point on DS will sell another 3 million by the end of the year. Of course let's not forget the weeks of Pokemon D/P and last weeks of December, they alone can push 500k+! So thats like an extra 1.5-2 million to the calculated (average) projection of 3 million. :lol

7 Million in 2006 FTW.

JoshuaJSlone said:
What's the most a system has ever sold in a single year in Japan? DS's 2005 must be among the better, and it seems clear DS 2006 will pass that well before the holidays/PS3/Wii make things really interesting.

Afair we don't have exact numbers for the NES (and SNES?) era. But I think it's absolutely save to assume that no system ever has sold more in a year (in Japan) than DS will do (even if it 'only' sells ~6m :D ).

Christopher

imastalker co. said:
that's what im telling everyone to do.

my friends are actually getting fed up with it it seems.

Do you know how much their stock rate is? I truly think I might invest a grand or two if the numbers keep increasing like this, I mean this is blind profit.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
cvxfreak said:
7 Million in 2006 FTW.
I predicted 7m in 2006 a few months ago but now I think 8m is the least :D
DS LTD sales by the end of the year will be +13.5m.

lancubap

Ok. This start to be a little bit boring, so let's make the point.

My questions are:

1) Total Nintendo DS's sales (DS + DSL) in Japan ?
2) Total PSP's sales in Japan ?
3) Prediction for New Super Mario Bros. in the long term ?
4) Animal Crossing: will it ever escape from the top 10 ? And what milestone will it reach ?

Thanks to discuss.

Nallen

lancubap said:
Ok. This start to be a little bit boring, so let's make the point.

My questions are:

1) Total Nintendo DS's sales (DS + DSL) in Japan ?
2) Total PSP's sales in Japan ?
4) Animal Crossing: will it ever escape from the top 10 ? And what milestone will it reach ?

Thanks to discuss.

1) and 2)
donny2112 said:
YTD/LTD

DS: 3,058,042/8,704,994
PSP: 845,614/3,528,576

DS Lead: 2,212,428/5,176,418

DS '06 vs. DS '05: 2,085,840

3) No idea on how massive its legs will be, but 2.5 to 3 million is quite probable
4) Animal Crossing has been gradually slowing down, and may finally escape the top 10 whenever a few big games release. It'll most certainly reach 3 million, and probably 3.5 million by the end of the year, if not more.

ziran

Now the figures have been confirmed, WOW!!! Amazing NSMB sales!

Nearly 250k in its 3rd week is incredible! If it manages over 100k for 4 weeks running, which looks likely, it will be truly astounding!

Nintendo really has taken a hold of the Japanese market as they did in the glory days of the NES, which deserves big congrats imo. In fact in many ways it's more impressive because they're doing it with so many internally developed new or relatively new multi-million selling franchises. Third parties seem to be lost when it comes to this new, expanded market Nintendo has managed to tap into, which is some what of an insult to them imo. If Nintendo is the only developer who can expand and re-grow the market, the Japanese videogame industry is in a far bigger mess than even I had imagined.

And the hardware figures are equally impressive, to the extent over 100k for DS Lite seems the norm!!!

All in all I'm incredibly happy with the direction of the Japanese market and it bodes well for me on a personal level, getting more of the games I'm loving, which is such a great feeling. My faith in gaming has been restored :D

lancubap said:

Thanks to discuss.
Well, like I said, NSMB sales for this week are incredible. In the long term I think it will pass 3 million!

As for Animal Crossing, it depends what kind of legs it continues to have. Keeping in mind it has constantly been in the top ten for over 6 months :O it could end up selling over 4 million!

Like many have said the amount of million sellers Nintendo has in just over a year is staggering!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Amir0x said:

well the 3rd party output on DS hasn't been that great in taking advantage of the interface. Given that so much DS software is going to "new" gamers, 3rd parties should be asking themselves why they can't appeal to these people at the moment

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ziran said:
And the hardware figures are equally impressive, to the extent over 100k for DS Lite seems the norm!!!
DS Lite weekly average since it launched is 145,876 (15 weeks).

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:

japanese devs would be like 'holy shit' and scramble and also have sex with themselves, i bet
:lol You'll do whatever it takes.

ziran said:
Well, like I said, NSMB sales for this week are incredible. In the long term I think it will pass 3 million!

As for Animal Crossing, it depends what kind of legs it continues to have. Keeping in mind it has constantly been in the top ten for over 6 months :O it could end up selling over 4 million!

Like many have said the amount of million sellers Nintendo has in just over a year is staggering!

AC is slowly going back week after week, but considering it's not yet at 40-60k for month (like Mario Kart now) it has chances to pass 3,5mln.
The only titles that seems like to have no slowing are Brain Training's... they really are unstoppable and i'm sure BT2 will have other peak when big titles will be released.
BT2 is around 400k down from AC, but in the long term i think it will reach 1st place.
nSMB seems like to have really strong legs, i think it will still sell strong until August and if it arrives on holiday season probably has good chances to pass 3mln.

cvxfreak

Yeah, AC is definitely slowing down now. It's sales are still respectible, though. But there's very little chance it'll sell 4 Million now.

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Yeah, AC is definitely slowing down now. It's sales are still respectible, though. But there's very little chance it'll sell 4 Million now.

I still think it'll get close though.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
You mean e+. :D

A GBA expansion cart would rock.

That might actually make me pick up the game again. :) I bought it, but was seriously bummed at all the repeated items/sets from the GameCube game and lack of NES games. Online play wasn't a big deal for me, but I did play a lot of DS-DS play.

An expansion cart with brand new item sets (and maybe some GB/GBC games to play :D ) would be a definite purchase from me for a cheap price. :)

CoolTrick

Banned

Can you spy the problem here?

koam

Here's the market share chart for japan for the week.

pachart-june5.jpg

I should have put microsoft's portion above the sony one.. it would look like teeth

Top Bottom